Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Church to Condo Convert
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to diverge from the parking discussion, but does anyone know what the prices will be like?

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/4/23 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe the solution is to stop issuing parking permits for new residents? Make them like Giants season tickets. As people give them up or take too long to renew them then they become available to others.

Or like Giant's tickets, the city could start charging real money for the permits, which would discourage people who don't really need cars from having them.

You do realize that the city is boning people enough already and giving huge tax breaks and concessions to developers? And yet it's okay to keep shoveling money towards these corrupt D-bags? I would love it if people could exist with fewer cars but in many cases it's just not possible.

Actually the tax breaks funnel more money to the city. Its the county and school system the city screws. But the bottom line is that the parking garages that have been built are half full. Right now parking garages represent a lot of wasted real estate, a lot expensive construction that ultimately drives up rents, and a lot of bad architecture. Just take a look at Morgan Street behind Grove Point or Stueben behind 50 Columbus. And those garages aren't even filled. You aren't describing a shortage of parking. You're describing a shortage of free parking. Sorry, but car ownership comes with costs.

Yes. A $15.00 a year parking permit.

Great. So stop complaining. That's not reflective of the true cost of parking your car on the street, so the rest of us are subsidizing your parking space.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Maybe the solution is to stop issuing parking permits for new residents? Make them like Giants season tickets. As people give them up or take too long to renew them then they become available to others.

Or like Giant's tickets, the city could start charging real money for the permits, which would discourage people who don't really need cars from having them.

You do realize that the city is boning people enough already and giving huge tax breaks and concessions to developers? And yet it's okay to keep shoveling money towards these corrupt D-bags? I would love it if people could exist with fewer cars but in many cases it's just not possible.

Actually the tax breaks funnel more money to the city. Its the county and school system the city screws. But the bottom line is that the parking garages that have been built are half full. Right now parking garages represent a lot of wasted real estate, a lot expensive construction that ultimately drives up rents, and a lot of bad architecture. Just take a look at Morgan Street behind Grove Point or Stueben behind 50 Columbus. And those garages aren't even filled. You aren't describing a shortage of parking. You're describing a shortage of free parking. Sorry, but car ownership comes with costs.

Yes. A $15.00 a year parking permit.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2012/4/21 23:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Jaded, your indoor spot is worth 250 a month...3k a year..at least. Let me rent your spot out...

The going rate is more like 200/month. What I'd really like to do is park one of those Pods-type containers in my parking spot and use it as storage. But something tells me that would never fly with the anal retentive condo association. Condo developers in JC are uniformly unimaginative - I'm fairly a certain there's a solid contingent of buyers out there who would rather have a basement storage unit than a parking spot.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2012/4/21 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2012/4/21 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Jaded, your indoor spot is worth 250 a month...3k a year..at least. Let me rent your spot out...

Posted on: 2012/4/21 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
if they build parking to go with the condo, it just contributes to the self-fulfilling prophecy of adding more cars to the neighborhood, thus making parking even worse (even people who have a parking spot in their condo will have to park on the street every time they drive somewhere else). if they don't build parking, the condos will attract buyers who don't own cars and don't need a parking space as their requirement. I think the time has come to stop building parking with every new development.

+1. God, I must be the ONLY person living in downtown JC who owns a deeded parking spot (came with the condo) and no car. I don't even bother renting it out.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Meanwhile politicians and other city employees get free cars and cops park their cars wherever they like. God forbid the people who actually live here get to park. I will gladly give the car free life a go if any of you are willing to drive me to my job at 5:00am. Sometimes it's in North Jersey, sometimes Long Island and basically who knows where after that. If developers are going to get tax breaks, put undue strain on our infrastructure and make millions in our city then they can build parking structures in their high-rises. F**k 'em.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 4:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
if they build parking to go with the condo, it just contributes to the self-fulfilling prophecy of adding more cars to the neighborhood, thus making parking even worse (even people who have a parking spot in their condo will have to park on the street every time they drive somewhere else). if they don't build parking, the condos will attract buyers who don't own cars and don't need a parking space as their requirement. I think the time has come to stop building parking with every new development.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/4/21 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City preservation panel backs plan to turn 130-year-old church into condos

April 19, 2012
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City's Historic Preservation Commission agreed Monday that a developer's plan to refashion an unused 19th-century brick church into a condominium complex is appropriate for the historic Hamilton Park neighborhood.

The commissioners voted 7-1 to approve -- with conditions -- the application by developer Mohammed Hammami to convert the old Centenary M.E. Church, which is commonly referred to as the Centennial Methodist Church, at 306 Pavonia Ave. into a three-story, nine-unit condominium building.

Commissioner Anthony Sandkamp voted against the plan and Commissioner Stephen Gucciardo recused himself from the vote.

The Zoning Board of Adjustment is scheduled to consider a variance needed to convert the church into a residential building at its meeting at 6 o'clock tonight at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

A handful of speakers at Monday's meeting complained the developer plans to remove many of the church's stained-glass windows and has no plans to provide condo owners with parking in an area "already maxed out" with cars.

After hearing the comments, the commissioners told the developer he had to hire an expert to find out if some more of the stained-glass windows could be preserved. Hammami had previously explained that many of the stained-glass windows could no longer open and close and were therefore considered fire hazards.

Dan Wrieden, the city's historic preservation officer, said the developer has agreed to keep four original "ecclesiastical" style stained-glass windows on the front of the circa 1880 Romanesque Revival style church.

The commissioners also required the developer to seek the opinion of an expert to see if it is feasible to reinstate four slender spires on the roof, which show up in early 20th-Century photographs of the church but have since been removed.

According to city ordinance, the developer is not permitted to provide on-site parking for developments with less than 10 units.

Liliane Freitas, a resident of Coles Street, tried at the meeting to turn in 120 petition signatures calling upon city officials to find a different use for the building.

"To me and the 120 residents who signed the petition, the stained-glass windows are spectacular and should not be removed," Freitas said. "I don't see why the windows are not seen as an asset to the developers plan."

The board's attorney rejected the petitions as "hearsay" since the signatories were not present.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_preservation_panel.html

Posted on: 2012/4/20 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
If parking gets "bad," some car owners will pay for garage spaces. Some car owners will give up their cars. Some car owners will make fewer trips either by consolidating or walking. The only thing "bad" about the parking situation right now is how little it costs.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Your probably right, I didn't know the number was actually 9. I figured half the people have cars and it was about 8 units.
I think parking is getting harder than when I moved here 4 years ago but I also think the easy of parking has been a luxury. I always expected it to catch up to places like Astoria or certain parts of BK where sometimes you need 30 min to find a spot. It's just a reality of city living. I would love for it not to happen but people who come on here and try to tear down car ownership aren't going to solve anything.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
It's less than 10 units. That should add about 4 cars to the street at the most. Non-issue.
It is interesting, the article states that the city actually prevents developers from building parking structures for projects under 10 units.
Ever try to park in Astoria Queens on a sunday night? Probably where we're headed. Nothing can be done. This is Amurika! I have my big fat SUV and I'm gonna park anywhere I please, in my allotted zone. Having a vehicle makes my life much easier, did my year and half without one.

With 9 units how do you figure 4 cars on the street. There would be at least 9 cars if not more. It will be more like Hoboken with all of these apartment buildings being converted or built from the ground up into condos. Even up in the Heights it used to be one parking spot used up on the street per house now it is more like 4 cars per house. With this situation escalating we will be playing musical chairs with parking spaces.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 8th b/w Jersey and Coles. My building has 9 units and there are 10 car owners. I think there will be more than four cars added to the street.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
It's less than 10 units. That should add about 4 cars to the street at the most. Non-issue.
It is interesting, the article states that the city actually prevents developers from building parking structures for projects under 10 units.
Ever try to park in Astoria Queens on a sunday night? Probably where we're headed. Nothing can be done. This is Amurika! I have my big fat SUV and I'm gonna park anywhere I please, in my allotted zone. Having a vehicle makes my life much easier, did my year and half without one.

With 9 units how do you figure 4 cars on the street. There would be at least 9 cars if not more. It will be more like Hoboken with all of these apartment buildings being converted or built from the ground up into condos. Even up in the Heights it used to be one parking spot used up on the street per house now it is more like 4 cars per house. With this situation escalating we will be playing musical chairs with parking spaces.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 12:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/20 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
About that parking and JC being more like Hoboken ... Hoboken is actively working to reduce available parking and remove cars from the city by encouraging car sharing and providing less parking with new development.

Along with increased bicycle lanes, and more bike racks.

Posted on: 2012/4/20 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
About that parking and JC being more like Hoboken ... Hoboken is actively working to reduce available parking and remove cars from the city by encouraging car sharing and providing less parking with new development.

Posted on: 2012/4/19 17:36

J.C.Historical Preservation is in Agreement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City preservation panel backs plan to turn 130-year-old church into condos.
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_preservation_panel.html

Posted on: 2012/4/19 17:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
I live on that stretch of pavonia. while the parking issue would impact me directly, I think it would be great to see that building restored and put to use. I don\'t know what kind of use the petitioners would prefer (halfway house? community center?) whatever the use, the developer would need to see return on investment. while the 1.2 mil seems like a deal, the roof will surely have to be replaced. it is sagging to the point that I worried about a heavy snowfall taking it down.

I do pay for off-street parking (FYI most of the lots I know of in the area are close to capacity) but there are many times - returning from the grocery store, having guests etc - when the lack of available spaces is problematic. IMHO raising parking prices is not going change the flow of traffic. it hasn\'t in hoboken. and if it does eventually eleviate a few spaces, it will certainly do it on the backs of families that are currently struggling most. in any case many other uses of the church would bring levels of parking distruption (i.e. restoring it as a place of worship would bring waves of church goers at regular intervals.)

hmmm. the aerial view of google maps shows a private drive with diagonal spaces directly behind the church between . perhaps the solution lies in that direction.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You're daydreaming if you think all or most people can live without cars. People need them for work and not everyone goes to the same office/jobsite every day nor does everyone work in NYC steps from the PATH train. ( I would recommend moving into NYC if you want to live the perfect "no car" existence.) If a developer builds a giant building then, yes, they should provide for parking within the lower levels of those buildings. 100 units in a high-rise could mean 50-60 more cars in that area. Since we have the lesson of history that gives us the gift of foresight then we should ABSOLUTELY require developers, who are getting hugh tax breaks, to provide parking spaces. End of story.

Before citing lessons of history, you might want to read up on urban development histories, since I'm at a loss to think of any that suggest adding parking is in anyway a good idea.

Fortunately, its not the "end of story."

We are not Manhattan. We have more in common with Flushing or Hoboken, places where more auto commuters/owners live. The early mistakes of waterfront development must be learned. The developers should be forced to incorporate parking into their building concepts.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You're daydreaming if you think all or most people can live without cars. People need them for work and not everyone goes to the same office/jobsite every day nor does everyone work in NYC steps from the PATH train. ( I would recommend moving into NYC if you want to live the perfect "no car" existence.) If a developer builds a giant building then, yes, they should provide for parking within the lower levels of those buildings. 100 units in a high-rise could mean 50-60 more cars in that area. Since we have the lesson of history that gives us the gift of foresight then we should ABSOLUTELY require developers, who are getting hugh tax breaks, to provide parking spaces. End of story.

Before citing lessons of history, you might want to read up on urban development histories, since I'm at a loss to think of any that suggest adding parking is in anyway a good idea.

Fortunately, its not the "end of story."

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
I live near HP and I don't know if I agree with you. I paid a lot of money for my place but realize the realities of the drycleaner and pizza place and bodega's making noise, or the children at the parks making noise and wouldn't think much more if there was another industrial sound happening. But then again, I can't totally appreciate what you're saying because it's not directly in my backyard.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
The difference between the scenarios you've described and central air conditioning units is that central air conditioning units are more of a constant. During the summer months they will be on pretty much 24/7. Also, I don't know where you live. But the downtown area has at least some reputation for being a bit more quiet as far as urban settings go. Of course you hear your neighbors if they're having a party or playing their music. But that's not a frequent event. The semi serenity of the HP neighborhood part of the attraction to living here. It's certainly unreasonable to expect things to be totally quiet here, but there is some expectation that it won't be too noisy either. That sort of quality of life is baked into the price people paid for their homes.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
The parking issues that the church to condo conversion may bring to Pavonia Ave may have a solution. The developer can potentially try to buy an easement from the townhouse association on 9th St, that's behind the church. He can then deed the spaces to several of the homeowners of the neighboring brownstones on Pavonia Ave. Should those homeowners and their tenants be able to park behind their homes, this could relieve some of the parking problems.

The other big issue with the church conversion is that this project will bring at least 9 additional central air conditioning units, which will sit in the allies between the church and the two buildings that sandwich the church. It will be quite noisy preventing those homeowners from enjoying their yards durnig the warmer months.

That last paragraph perplexed me. I enjoy my backyard regardless of my neighbors kid playing drums, next door having bad taste in rock music on the weekends, or the neighbor who is on the telephone 24/7 outside smoking a cigarette. That indeed is just an urban reality, no? I wonder if there's a little NIMBY happening here with some of the cons being brought forth.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Another issue to consider is that there are a number of surface parking lots in the downtown in large part because parking is so inexpensive; higher parking demands would drive up the price of parking and thus encourage more efficient use of the land.

Surface parking lots are a problem for a number of reasons. Their impervious surfaces contribute to flooding in heavy rain, while buildings with green roofs will absorb large amounts of water. They retain heat in the summer, making the surface temperature hotter and for longer into the night after the sun sets. They come with a high aesthetic cost and contribute to a sense of emptiness in urban areas. They reduce walkability by making useful amenities, stores, houses and offices further away, rather than providing those services on the lots.

All of these problems can be solved by increasing the value of a parking space. A reduction in available free parking will drive the price point of off street parking to incentivize eliminating surface parking lots.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
MDM, that's good information to know. Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/4/16 18:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017