Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
20 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 19

JCMan8, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Re: An Open Letter to You, My PATH Nemesis
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Really though is there a solution? Is it possible to run the 33rd & WTC on separate tracks during rush hour?

Now that everyone has to crowd down the one staircase it's more apparent how unconsiderate some of the riders are. There's a guy that stands at the bottom of the staircase at Grove - right next to the pillar - with his briefcase on the floor - Everyone has to squeeze by him as he stands there reading his paper.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 8:46
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, God. So many stories...

The other day, I saw a guy get off at Christopher St. and offer an old man with a cane his seat. I thought, "Nice," until I realized that the man with the cane had been standing in front of this idiot the whole way from Grove St!!!!

(I also think I've seen the obnoxious middle-aged blonde.)

But then again, I once sat next to a guy smoking crack on the subway. I was one of only three people who ran off the car at the next stop. I guess everyone else was too lazy. So, I can't really complain about the PATH.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 8:32
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Well, since we're going to reopen this topic, I'd like to address my PATH nemesis, who is any man who deems it appropriate to sit with his legs spread in a wide open V, thus forcing me to keep my thighs uncomfortably pressed together to avoid leg-to-leg contact. Seriously! We all have our 18 inches of seat, please don't cross the line into my area.

How about people (there was one last night), who sit with their feet splayed all the way out. So, now everyone who is standing in the crowded train has to try not to trip over his feet. It's not a recliner, it's a seat. Sit nicely and take up a little less room.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 7:32
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
I was on the PATH today from 33rd street and tucked myself in to the corner by the doors. By Christopher I was smothered by people but NONE thought to go to the middle of the train. I remember about 6 years ago when the MTA advertised on the train ads "All the good looking people go to the middle of the train". I thought that was a hilarious way to motivate people to actually move their asses to the middle. But then again, maybe we all have such low self esteem none of us would go...perhaps it should say "all the fat assed uglies truck to the middle of the train".

All I know is that it does definitely suck the stairs are closed on one side of Grove....I am convinced there is a better way to fix stairs than cutting off the ENTIRE area, maybe one section at a time......but that would be TOO EASY.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 2:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I haven't traveled on the PATH for work in 7 years. I can only imagine how much more crowded it is now.

Years ago I witness some douchebag with slicked back hair and cheezy suit drop his CD onto the tracks at the 33rd Street station during the PM rush. He panics and calls over one of the PATH workers and makes him get onto the tracks and get it! He delayed the incoming train by a good 10 minutes.

Two weeks later, I see the same douchebag sitting and pretending to be asleep with his sunglasses on as a *VERY* pregnant woman stood in front of him. It was a hot day and she looked miserable so I tapped him on the shoulder and asked very loudly, "Would you mind giving your seat up for this woman?" He begrudgingly did.

I always give my seat to someone who needs it. My favorite thing is to ask someone who is able-bodied to give up their seat for someone else.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 0:39
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
Quote:

metulj wrote:
Now if people just wouldn't clip their nails on the train....

those aren't people. those are animals.

Posted on: 2008/3/14 0:31
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Well, since we're going to reopen this topic, I'd like to address my PATH nemesis, who is any man who deems it appropriate to sit with his legs spread in a wide open V, thus forcing me to keep my thighs uncomfortably pressed together to avoid leg-to-leg contact. Seriously! We all have our 18 inches of seat, please don't cross the line into my area.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 22:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Grovester, I think I've encountered her, too. Whenever I see her, I just move to another section of the platform, away from her. Admittedly that's not easy when she's standing right by the bottom of the stairs, blocking your access just when a train is about to close its doors. I always think to myself: Gosh, what a sad way to live life - to be so angry that the highlight of your day is trying to piss off as many people as possible on a train platform.

She was blonde (probably fake), probably in her 50s. Shortish (5'-ish). Green sweater yesterday. She takes the 33rd St. train, and blocks the door to the WTC train.

I spent the day thinking about, how, if I saw her again, I would purposely block her from getting on her train. But I just can't sink that low. And besides that, if she actually missed the train, then I'd have to spend a few minutes on the platform while I waited for my train. Not worth it.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:51
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I stand on the PATH. I don't even fight it. But I have a theory about the insane behavior to get a seat: For a lot of people, this is the best thing that is going to happen to them each day. Seriously, getting a seat on the train is the best thing that happens each and every day to a lot of people. Personally, I value other things. They can have my seat. Now if people just wouldn't clip their nails on the train....

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Is it just me, or does it seem jerks who block the door seem to all live in the vicinity of Grove Street? I noticed at Exchange Place, people seem to stand back, against the wall, when they realize it's not their train pulling into the station.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 17:08
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Grovester, I think I've encountered her, too. Whenever I see her, I just move to another section of the platform, away from her. Admittedly that's not easy when she's standing right by the bottom of the stairs, blocking your access just when a train is about to close its doors. I always think to myself: Gosh, what a sad way to live life - to be so angry that the highlight of your day is trying to piss off as many people as possible on a train platform.

People are insanely rude in this regard.

There's a guy I've seen mornings around 8:15 at Grove St., he carries a messenger bag, stands about 5-9, late 30s, and has light, bushy brown hair, gets on a car close to the staircase on the north side of the platform. Don't know what his story is, but I've seen him shove women to get on the train first so he can get one of the coveted corner areas between the seat rows and the doors, where he promptly sits.

People like this and Grovester's diva can make a normal commute into something really crappy.

Posted on: 2008/3/13 16:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/3/13 15:42
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
was she 6'4" and carrying a bike?

Don't know what it is with JC door-blockers. I get off the 6 train at Grand Central each morning where there's inevitably a large crowd of people waiting to board. As a rule, they politely make an alleyway through which departing passengers can exit. I go home and get off at Grove where, again, there's generally a bunch of people waiting and they have a strong tendency to just stand there, gazing with bovine intensity at the car's interior, blithely ignoring anyone trying to get out while chewing their cud. Something in the air here....

Posted on: 2008/3/13 15:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
was she 6'4" and carrying a bike?

Posted on: 2008/3/13 15:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
jc_insomniac wrote:
Quote:
To the woman who pretended to not hear me as I said "excuse me" three times with increasing volume as she insisted on standing directly in front of the train entrance on the Grove Street station platform and made me miss my train this morning:

You are on notice!

The next time I see you on Grove Street and you insist on blocking the doorway, be prepared to be pushed aside because I won't be as nice.

And that goes for anyone who insists on blocking the train entrance during rush hour.

Sincerely,
jc_insomniac

Oh my god. Yesterday morning. Grove Street PATH station. Platform level. My train comes. The door opens. This woman stands, on the platform, directly in front of the doors. With her hands on her hips so she takes up the majority of the doorway. People are coming off the train, and they have to try to side-step around her. They're saying "excuse me" but she just stands there.

I'm standing directly behind her. I figure she's letting people off and then she's going to step on once the doorway is clear.

But, no, everyone gets off, and she's still standing there. Oh, no! Now I'm going to miss my train! I say "Excuse me!" nice and loud, and then step around her, just in time.

As the doors shut, I can hear her cursing. I'm just barely inside the doorway, so I turn to look at her. And then the door re-opens. Apparently, this is her opportunity.

She says, and I quote, "Oh, next time, when the train comes, and it's not my train, I'LL move from where I'M standing, just because YOU'RE so important. "

To which I responded, "Good, don't stand in front of doors!"

And then she called me a "fucking moron." And then the doors shut.

Seriously? She just goes around standing in front of doors, and I'm the moron? She thinks that you don't move when people say "excuse me" unless they're "so important," and I'm the moron?

Grrr. She, too, is on notice. (Assuming this was not the same person, and there's more than one person that is so rude using the Grove Street PATH station.)

Posted on: 2008/3/13 15:12
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
wow, the very first update from 2004 has got to be the best one EVER. It expresses everything perfectly and the sad thing is, all of those things still happen. :) GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Posted on: 2008/3/13 0:35
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
To the woman who pretended to not hear me as I said "excuse me" three times with increasing volume as she insisted on standing directly in front of the train entrance on the Grove Street station platform and made me miss my train this morning:

You are on notice!

The next time I see you on Grove Street and you insist on blocking the doorway, be prepared to be pushed aside because I won't be as nice.

And that goes for anyone who insists on blocking the train entrance during rush hour.

Sincerely,
jc_insomniac

Posted on: 2008/3/13 0:26
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Teddy is my longtime PATH nemesis. I can't remember when it started but long ago I had to jump the turnstile because he somehow managed to turn it an extra turn and use my last ride. I felt a little strange asking him for money, decided to jump the turnstile (as I didn't have any money on me), and ended up injuring myself. Oh, Teddy, we'll meet again.

As far as puking on the train goes, my friends have always joked that it's a right of passage. One friend tried to go between cars to spare everyone but discovered too late that she was in the end car--and the door doesn't open (a good thing, I think we can all agree). What a mess. Someone was nice enough to give me a teeny, tiny potato chip bag to throw up in once. Never could eat sour cream and cheddar chips again. But I was incredibly grateful!

But my favorite PATH experience....the day I bought my wedding dress. I was heading home around midnight, lost in my own thoughts. I was leaning against the door, a woman was standing in the space to the right of the door, and close to her, a girl was hanging onto the pole for dear life on her way home from celebrating her 21st birthday. Her friends were kind enough to warn everyone that she was about to "blow chunks." In order to give the woman to my right some space, I moved a big step to my left. As I swing my head left, I notice that the guy in the space to the left of the door has his pants unzipped and has his not-so-private parts in his hands. I was completely flabbergasted and didn't know what to do, where to go. For some reason, the words "PUT THAT THING AWAY" come flying out of me. Now, everyone's looking at me because I'm the crazy lady yelling on the PATH train. I somehow decided that I didn't want to be on the train with this guy but that it wasn't fair that I'd have to wait at Christopher 1/2 hour for the next train, so I start screaming at him that he'd better get off (ha!) the train at Christopher St. He motions to me to "keep it down" like this will just stay between us. At Christopher, I am still screaming at him, and (admittedly, in retrospect) no one on the car still has any idea what is going on. I couldn't figure out why no one was helping me! So, finally, I scream out, "Does anyone want the guy who was jerking off to stay on the train?" A packed train collectively gasped and screamed "NO!" The guy literally tipped his hat to me as if to say "well done, you win" and stepped off the train. The drunk girl was so distracted that she made it all the home.....to Hoboken....without puking.

Does anyone know what the occupancies are for the new buildings going up by Grove St? Are they planning to run more trains at rush hour to accommodate the added commuters?

Posted on: 2007/1/2 4:15
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
One Friday night back in 2000 when playing "who's getting off in Hoboken" was a no brainer, a whole carload of passengers and I watched anxiously as this cute drunken suit sat and slept slumped on his seat on the way home from 9th St. He got closer and closer to the edge of the seat as the train moved thru the tunnels and when he finally fell (in a sitting position mind you) he didn't wake up, he was so drunk he had no idea he'd fallen on the floor and continued to sleep. 2 passengers picked him up as we were pulling into the Hoboken station and proceeded to deposit him on the platform without even having to ask if that was his stop. The guy didn't miss a beat as he came to, and headed up the steps to catch a cab to continue his nap at home.

Posted on: 2006/12/8 19:31
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
"Hi this is Kenny from the Bergen Laffayette Homeless For Help The Feed The Family Organization... Food... Soup... Children... Nervous Breakdown... Fire..."

Help ME Jesus.

Posted on: 2006/12/7 1:19
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Scene - HOB-34th ST PATH train about 7:50 am one winter weekday (before I moved ½ miles south, before there was a List - or even AOL)
SRO Max occupancy, 2nd car from front of train, right outside the windowed office, Moments from departure.
A brief commotion, some noise and - Ever watch a drop of dishwashing soap hit a sink full of greasy water? A standee faints to the floor.
Instant buffer zone around the body, but nobody moves to help (no matter how crowded it is, there's always more room).
The news is rippling thru the car like the wave at Giants Stadium.
A coupla people suggest "call for help," "Get the Conductor," "Pull the emergency brake!"
Chorus of loud "NO!! DON'T PULL THE CORD!! WE'LL NEVER LEAVE!!"
And, by now - not even 10 seconds - as the train pulls out, I can see, it's a young woman (Suzy McHoboken?), on her back.
Three shoves, two steps and slide down onto my knees, do my ABCs and I get her torso up and she starts to comes to - believe it or not - somebody gives up their seat for her.
I get here head between her knees, some color's coming back, do a quick vital check. Just doin' my survey, the train's chuggin' along.
Turns out, she's taking diet pills, hasn't eaten in like two days. I give her two big gulps of my coffee* and force her to eat 1/2 a Clif bar and give her a 0.5l bottle of Poland Spring. She's more embarrassed than ill.
I stood the rest of the ride to Christopher . . . thank God no one was late to work!! Now that would have been a tragedy for them - but somebody else fainting? DON'T PULL THE CORD. Such nice young people.
The Hi Speed Line, the T, BART - PATH is pretty bad, but it is what you make of it.

* " . . . I don't need you to tell me how #OOPS#ing good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SHIT. Me, I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it."

Posted on: 2006/12/4 12:54
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
A beautiful story of train karma...

I got on one morning, and there was one seat left. However, it was covered with the purse and shopping bag of some b*tch who stared at my (clearly) pregnant belly and pretended to go to sleep. Someone else graciously gave me their seat, which I gladly accepted.

Next stop--your typical crazy ranting homeless guy got on, screamed at the woman to move her stuff, plopped down right next to her, and proceeded to rant and rave to her about Armageddon for the next twenty minutes.

Priceless.

Posted on: 2006/12/4 3:59
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I hate it when trying to get off a crowded train at Grove and some yokel is standing in front of the door holding onto to the bar over the door. Instead of letting go of the bar and stepping off the train, letting people off the train, then getting back on. He just continues to hold the bar and make people push past.

Also hate when getting on the train, people will just step far enough in to get themselves in then block the way oblivious that someone may be behind trying to get on.

And the jerks who crowd the door even though there's so much room if they move in. Then they look annoyed that you have to push your way past them.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 21:11
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
You wear a big backpack but fail to take into account your extra appendage. Every time you turn to yuck it up with the similarly nerdy guy you recognize from your building, you jostle me. By time we reach the Newport station I want to beat you to death with your Linux-running laptop.

You’re dressed well and obviously have a respectable job. So why are you reaching into a trash receptacle to snag someone’s discarded NY Post?

You pick up a copy of AM New York on your way down to the platform, discover it’s about what you can expect from a free commuter rag, and so you drop it to the floor. Soon it’s blowing all over the place. Thank you.

You’re the Indy-looking guy who sits on the floor of the train. I know you’re already filthy, but for Pete’s sake man just looking at you there makes me want to buy you a bar of soap.

You have sweaty hands, and you change the position of your hand holding the support pole often, leaving enough subway pole grunge that the next person to touch it skeeves out and runs straight to the bathroom upon arriving at work.

You’re the Grove turnstile on the extreme left of the West side entrance. Why don’t you accept my Metro card? Over the years I’ve noticed technicians spending a lot of time repairing you and still you won’t behave. If it was up to me you’d be transferred to the Harrison station.

It’s a rainy day, and you’re the person who stops at the top of the exit stairs so that you can leisurely remove your umbrella from your bag and open it, while behind you people are running into each other on the staircase.

You’re the guy next to me last Friday evening: look dude, you’re over 40, don’t you know that reading Harry Potter books makes you appear dimwitted? Do like perverted Japanese male commuters do in Tokyo while reading about people peeing on each other: swap the cover out for a book jacket of a more respectable title.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 17:33
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Another one . . .

People who sit on the stairs at the PATH station, blocking the stairway !!!

Posted on: 2006/12/3 10:51
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
sorry if this one has been mentioned already . . .

But what gets me, and this happens mornings all the time at Grove, people who stand waiting for a train, are standing where the doors open, a train pulls in, it is not their train, but they insist on still standing there, so you either have to ask them to move, or bolt around them so you can get on the train.

I usually take PATH to WTC, so not sure if this happens oth ways, but it seems people heading to 33rd do this a lot.

Posted on: 2006/12/3 10:50
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From The Little Italy Section (Back Then)
Group:
Registered Users
OK, in the 4-5 times that I've used the PATH in the last five years I have observed a lot of what your saying and I feel for all of you.

My suggestion is next time you get on the train yell, `I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore' When you hear someone else yell, join them and we'll see how many JC Listers are on the same train and start a revolt.

or

Do nothing...

Posted on: 2006/12/2 23:41
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
"Good evening, brothers and sisters . . . if you confess your sins with your mouth. . . . "

I have heard this sermon probably close to a hundred times during my homeward bound commutes, and I still am unconvinced about ending my sinning ways. Please, please stop.

On the other hand, the Richie Havens lookalike playing Hendrix on his boombox on Friday morning, that I kinda dug. Too bad there were some who found it too loud. If it were something other than Jimi, I might have had a word with that guy, too, but as it was, it fit my mood.

Posted on: 2006/12/2 22:35
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
To you (usually men) who kept your seat when I was nine months pregnant standing up in front of you in a crowded train... Yes, you who buried your head in your newspaper/sudoku/trashy novel pretending not to see me...

And, before I forget, my thanks to all the people (invariably women) who got up and gave me their seat when I needed the most...

Posted on: 2006/12/2 10:41
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've noticed the legs-open-wide sitting posture for the last few years now and have come to assume that, since it's always males, the purpose is to advertise the purported enormity of the member hidden within. Real adult.

There's an epidemic of multiple bag carriage, though. What's with that? Why the necessity, male or female, for two or three increasingly large satchels? I get on with a newspaper and a book. Everything else I need is in my wallet. Why do I get the impression that, especially for guys, a man-purse has become de rigueur for impressing your boss that you're taking home work? And ladies, a regular purse is annoying enough. Three purses is absurd. The average number of bags seems to increase with body weight, I notice, expanding the individual's silhouette out to around five feet.

Posted on: 2006/12/2 9:06
Print Top

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014