Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Am I allowed to put up fliers informing neighbors about a felon who has moved into the neighborh
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ask you landlord to put up real video cameras and signs. It is cheap and then everyone can see who leaves the trash a mess or who is drinking out front etc...

Posted on: 2018/5/29 18:16

Re: Am I allowed to put up fliers informing neighbors about a felon who has moved into the neighborh
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
Just leave him alone. If his presence bothers you so much then you move out. He's entitled to live wherever he wants.

Seriously, this.

I left out the 'asshole' part, but I don't really get posting and I'm not sure it would be legal (slander?). Protest to the landlord, inform those neighbors you are friendly with and the rest is to keep an eye on things and keep your distance. You are not his parole officer, trash vs. recycling sucks, but that is truly minor.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 11:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/15 20:50
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you for the information and advice.

Posted on: 2018/5/24 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds as if the OP has a couple of issues ongoing here - the ex-felon tenant, the new landlord, a gentrifying neighborhood that he is a long-time resident of, etc.

For all - tenants, you do have rights - the right to habitability being a key right that you can defend and protect. And an ex-felon has a right to habitability, too, dear neighbors.

In fact, the felon may be partially protected by these HUD guidelines (not a law - guidelines) which were advised in 2016.

And like Caj brought up, the landlord had no responsibility to let anyone know a felon was moving in - he owns the property - he can basically do as he pleases within the framework of applicable law.

Anyone who is renting needs to be informed. This is a great place to start:

Tenants Rights in NJ

Also, if your landlord is using said felon to create an environment where you "have" to move, well, that's pretty shady, but not unheard of. See more here and a good article here.

Finally, the city has an office for tenant/landlord resources here.

Good luck, Monmouth. I hope this gets worked out for you, but do keep a cool head about you.

Posted on: 2018/5/23 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps the one thing nobody has mentioned here is that even though the guy is a convicted felon, he is not a sex offender, so Megan's Law doesn't apply and there was no obligation to inform the building tenants ahead of time, nor any issues with the guy living within a certain distance of children.

If the guy is truly causing problems in the building and the landlord is not doing anything about it, you can always call the police.

Posted on: 2018/5/23 15:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A snitch. Haha. When the asshole moved in he started treating everybody in the building like shit. We started off by letting the Landlord know that he was doing all kinds of crap but the landlord didn?t do anything about it. If posting flyers around the neighborhood is grounds for harassment fine then I won?t do it. Thank you for the advice that?s all I was looking for. If you knew all the bullshit we had all been through those of us that have stayed and those who were already forced out by the landlord who tried all kinds of scare tactics building was purchased last August and all kinds of other shit to get rid of half of the tenants you would Understand why am so angry .None of the 4 of 9 remaining tenants are going anywhere. Two of the four of us have lived here for 35 years. Feel free to send me a private message but why did all of the tenants in the building that you used to live in leave as opposed to fighting the harassment that you were getting from your landlord and the crazy felon tenant? We would?ve never known that this person was a criminal a felon a total piece of shit had they not acted in such a shitty way to all of us. Slade to whomever said live and let live you want this kind of shit living in the same building that you and your family live in? Bullshit! We have people with children living in this building children under the age of 10. In the three short years I?ve lived in this building the rentals in the section of the Heights have gone up three times. For the same exact size apartment in the same quality and everything else. And there?s no way I nor anyone else who?s been living here as long as I have a longer can afford to move. And as soon as I found out who the person was last night I put the Landlord on notice and so did the other tenants that have been living here. I also sent the landlord copies of everything I found that I posted on here plus everything else I found about the person online this morning in a certified letter. The landlord and the super of this building knew the tenant they moved him from some shit hole that they also own over an ocean and Grant Avenue. They told one of the other tenants here where I live that he was such a nice man, nice man my ass.

Posted on: 2018/5/23 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I would be very careful with this sociopath across the hall from you... you do not want any of your activities pointing back to you, but definitely need to put the landlord on notice.

Not sure of your building ownership / management situation but is it possible he moved there under some state rehabilitation program where his rent is paid? Do they have problems leasing apartments? Good Luck.

This. You want to be so far off this guy's radar that he doesn't even recognize you live in the same building. I lived with a former felon in an apartment building. We found out when her parole officers visited. She wasn't very stable, and upon reflection, we should have just avoided her and her guests. We complained to the landlord (a lot) which pissed off the landlord and she obviously found out the source of all the complaints. It really turned out badly for everyone - we ended up moving from an awesome apartment because of her. Do you even know the relationship between the guy and the landlord? If you want to alert the landlord, do it anonymously.

Absolutely don't post the flyers - that's grounds for harassment. You'll be branded a snitch and that's worse than being a felon. Your camera is a good idea. Just move on with your life and keep your doors locked. You live in a big city - there are criminals everywhere.

This is the best advice ever - https://youtu.be/5Etm-H1FkUE

Posted on: 2018/5/22 23:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds to me like you are being an asshole. Just leave him alone. If his presence bothers you so much then you move out. He's entitled to live wherever he wants.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I would be very careful with this sociopath across the hall from you... you do not want any of your activities pointing back to you, but definitely need to put the landlord on notice.

Not sure of your building ownership / management situation but is it possible he moved there under some state rehabilitation program where his rent is paid? Do they have problems leasing apartments? Good Luck.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:11
From HamiltonPARK
Group:
Registered Users
His Facebook page makes him appear to be an older gay male. He doesn't look physically imposing. Maybe slip a note under his door letting him know that his neighbors know about his recent past etc. Live and let live if he behaves himself.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 23:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I am not looking to put up anything in the building as it is small enough I could just put info under everyone's doors or tell them face to face. I am trying to find out what I can do legally as far as putting up signs in the neighborhood on street poles like folks do when advertising stoop sales. I want this dude to know he is not welcome. I don't want to be arrested myself. I mean the info I found out is there for the world to read so if must be ok for me to let others know, right?

And thanks for the sympathy.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 21:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/5/22 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You can put up whatever you want in the building, if the landlord allows it. Whether you can post this in a park or some other public area, I don't know, but I see peoples' posters for all kinds of things in public areas throughout the city all the time (although not for something like this). You could always put it up and see how long before a city worker notices it, and takes it down. Once the cat is out of the bag, it doesn't go back in so easily.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe someone leased it out for him? Weird looking cat also. In any case, this really sucks.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Putting aside your personal safety concerns, it's surprising that any landlord would think that a convicted larceny criminal would be someone sure to pay their rent. It's so easy and cheap now to run credit and background reports, it's insane not to, if that's what actually happened.

For any other small time landlords out there, Cozy.co will run background checks and set up automatic rent payments. The latter has made life so much easier for both landlords and tenants!

Posted on: 2018/5/22 18:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No background check???? In any event, strongly rec you send the building owner and property manager a certified letter letting them know that you know Mr. Thrower's history. That should raise enough liability concerns to prompt their termination of his lease or further investigation as situation may warrant.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
This is from Curtis Thrower's fb profile -

I'm a fun loving, caring person until u cross me. I love my family with all my heart. My nephews and nieces are what keeps me focused. I adore the ppl who adore me. I love to read, write short stories, and old school R&B. And I love to laugh. So all and all. I'm a happy person.

And this - https://www.leagle.com/decision/infco20110720090

Posted on: 2018/5/22 18:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This is the website where I found that information about him:
http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... -Baer--?mobile_view=false

Posted on: 2018/5/22 17:44

Am I allowed to put up fliers informing neighbors about a felon who has moved into the neighborh
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The person named in the article below just moved into my building about two months ago. I found out who he was because he just left his freaking recycling on top of the trashcan and I could tell he was a loser. He?s been acting like shit ever since he moved into the building so I googled his name From one of the boxes he left on top of the trash. How can I find out when he goes to trial for the crime he most recently committed listed below? He?s been to prison several times and was most recently released in 2015 after a stent in prison for robbery. He?s a known felon. I am disgusted with the fact that my landlord has let this person move into our building. Am I allowed to make a flyer with his name and the crimes that he most recently committed and his photo and pass it out to the neighbors on our block? I live in a small quiet building up in the Heights on a block with mostly elderly neighbors. and by god if the son of a bitch is going to take advantage of any of us. Our building was recently sold and the new owners and Landlord are real jackasses. I would move but my rent would triple and I can?t afford that and neither can anyone else that has been living in my building as long as I have. The building does have working Newly installed security cameras but this dude was also moved into the building from another property that the landlord and superintendent run. I also just purchased an in home security device that I can monitor from my phone off of Amazon. I couldn?t sleep all night last night because of knowing who is living across the hall from me.

Man with 49 warrants arrested

Jersey City resident Curtis Thrower, age 51, was arrested and charged with burglary, credit card theft, uttering, five counts of fraudulent use of credit cards, theft or movable property, forgery, and 49 outstanding warrants.

A victim reported that someone had entered her office in the 100 block of Clinton Street without her permission and stole her credit card, Bank of America prepaid card, and drivers license from her wallet. Once she noticed her belongings were missing she checked her bank account and noticed several unauthorized purchases made at locations in Hoboken and Jersey City.

Officer Michael Losurdo conducted a follow up investigation. He identified Thrower from video surveillance footage as the man allegedly responsible.

Thrower has been arrested several times in the past for the same crimes according to the release.

On April 12, Thrower was arrested by the Jersey City Police Department for the outstanding warrant and was transported to the Hoboken Police Department for processing. Thrower had an outstanding warrant issued by the Jersey City Municipal Court and 48 motor vehicles warrants from Jersey City. He was processed and transported to the Hudson County Correctional Facility.

Posted on: 2018/5/22 17:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017