Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Sigh... just what we need is yet another Bar. How about something we don't have...like a real Mediterranean Restaurant or a real Japanese-owned restaurant (enough of the asian fusion places). I would like anything that would be good for a more diverse group other than just sports minded people.

Rumi is great and the spot is waaaaaay too big for a sushi restaurant.

I was going to say the same... DTJC definitely has a great Mediterranean restaurant in Rumi. Or, for a quick bite or take out, there is Gipsy Grill which is hands down one of the cheapest lunch spots in all of DTJC.

I wouldn't mind a good Greek restaurant. Somewhere I could get my grilled octopus and retsina on. There are some very large tavernas in Astoria, but JC would not support a huge one. Too bad It's Greek to Me was vile.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:53

Re: Rainbow to be replaced by Hoboken restaurant group responsible for 1 Republik
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder if people who moved to dtjc in the 60's and 70's were appalled at the gentrifiers that arrived in the 90's/2k's.

I was born here in the 1950s, so I guess I qualify to answer your question...yes, they were appalled. Just like I'm sure the Victorians were appalled when my parents moved here in the 40s. Just like I'm sure the Lenni Lenape were appalled by the Dutch settlers.

Times change. The city changes. Reminiscing about the past is fun, but it's more fun to embrace what's coming next. And if it's something you don't like, no worries; stick around a while and it will change again.

Perfect post.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 19:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Clearly you've never been to Dolma either. Delicious!

Quote:

owlie wrote:
Sigh... just what we need is yet another Bar. How about something we don't have...like a real Mediterranean Restaurant ...

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

owlie wrote:
Sigh... just what we need is yet another Bar. How about something we don't have...like a real Mediterranean Restaurant or a real Japanese-owned restaurant (enough of the asian fusion places). I would like anything that would be good for a more diverse group other than just sports minded people.

I was going to say the same... DTJC definitely has a great Mediterranean restaurant in Rumi. Or, for a quick bite or take out, there is Gipsy Grill which is hands down one of the cheapest lunch spots in all of DTJC.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/10 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i wonder if people who moved to dtjc in the 60's and 70's were appalled at the gentrifiers that arrived in the 90's/2k's.

I was born here in the 1950s, so I guess I qualify to answer your question...yes, they were appalled. Just like I'm sure the Victorians were appalled when my parents moved here in the 40s. Just like I'm sure the Lenni Lenape were appalled by the Dutch settlers.

Times change. The city changes. Reminiscing about the past is fun, but it's more fun to embrace what's coming next. And if it's something you don't like, no worries; stick around a while and it will change again.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
I'm pretty sure this conversation has happened in every single growing city in every single era of history.

Nobody's really wrong. Nobody's really right.

I will say this though... Downtown is still the best for bar hopping on a Monday!

If bar-hopping on a Monday night is the best Jersey City has to offer...just kill me Sunday.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 4:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/10 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
What the f is the matter with you?

Posted on: 2016/8/10 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
what are people going to say when trannie bar opens on newark

Posted on: 2016/8/10 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I'm pretty sure this conversation has happened in every single growing city in every single era of history.

Nobody's really wrong. Nobody's really right.

I will say this though... Downtown is still the best for bar hopping on a Monday!

Posted on: 2016/8/10 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/10 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't think most people in this thread are upset Rainbow is closing. But rather by the type of place supposedly coming in and what those owners are known to bring the retail & customer element. I don't think anyone is this thread is anti-change. Just many don't like the direction its headed when there are options that would be progressive and suit more of our tastes. People are justifiably worried about the "Hoboken bro" element getting worse and continuing to affect our quality of life and enjoyment of our city. And residents not being the target demo of these new businesses.

this is a well-reasoned and pleasantly-put-forth argument. so of course it's getting shouted down.

Right?? Thanks. Smh at some of these replies.

Not sure about the others, but I'm talking about Newark ave/dtjc of about 10-12 years ago, or even 6-7 years ago (heck I even liked it in the late 90's/early 2000's). Fun and diverse stuff was happening then - more art, more diversity of people, you got to really know your neighbors because we were the ones going out and making stuff happen and going to support the businesses, bars, restaurants. People were friendly to each other and greeted each other on the sidewalks all the time. You could go bar hopping and see friends and familiar faces pretty much everywhere. Hoboken bros stayed in Hoboken. What we had was special and its depressing that the growth trend didn't continue in the vein in which it was headed because that was great and had a lot of variety to offer and potential to get even better.

I spent 17 years living there from '96-2013. As a single woman that whole time there I never felt unsafe. So glad I got out when I did as I really can't stand what's happened to an area that I really use to adore living in and going out in as recently as just 4-5 years ago. Everything is being sold out now. I don't go down there anymore because last I tried a night out there a year ago, it was such a let down. :(

I don't doubt your bad experience but I usually go for a walk down Newark Ave Fri/Sat nights and the pedestrian plaza is nothing like downtown Hoboken. This past weekend it was flooded with kids playing, couples, families, and other people like me wandering around. There was absolutely no lack of diversity you cite (I too remember DTJC 15 years ago). Porta did not have a line of bros with popped collars, and I must have run into 10+ people I know just from living in the neighborhood. Anywhere you go there will be annoying drunk people but I question whether anyone complaining here actually spends time in the area on weekend nights. It's really not bad at all.

will this utopia survive when one of the largest storefronts DOES become bro-topia, I wonder?

Posted on: 2016/8/10 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What I think is interesting is that it's not simply gentrification that causes this downward spiral into Hobokenization.

For example, in Brooklyn and Queens there are neighborhoods a equal points of gentrification and also far more advanced in terms of gentrification than DTJC, and you don't see the "party bro" visitors much at all, from places like Long Island or elsewhere.

I think it's a matter of fact that you can't take the Jersey out of Jersey City. I mean, it makes perfect sense and this shouldn't be very surprising to any of us - suburban 20-something kids from NJ need a place to party, and Jersey City is simply an alternative to Hoboken, and like Hoboken, it's a bit easier of an alternative to jumping across the Hudson.

This Hobokenization of Jersey City, in my opinion, comes down to two things: 1. Geography and 2. Cost and scarcity of liquor licenses in NJ/Jersey City, which quite frankly forces bar owners to appeal to a high volume of patrons and also the 'lowest common denominator", hence all the bars with TVs and the patrons that you see on the eastern end of Newark Avenue.

Just my two cents.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 0:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
very well said, captured my feelings/thoughts about it. things change, it was a time and a place, a pretty nice time and a place.

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Not sure about the others, but I'm talking about Newark ave/dtjc of about 10-12 years ago, or even 6-7 years ago (heck I even liked it in the late 90's/early 2000's). Fun and diverse stuff was happening then - more art, more diversity of people, you got to really know your neighbors because we were the ones going out and making stuff happen and going to support the businesses, bars, restaurants. People were friendly to each other and greeted each other on the sidewalks all the time. You could go bar hopping and see friends and familiar faces pretty much everywhere. Hoboken bros stayed in Hoboken. What we had was special and its depressing that the growth trend didn't continue in the vein in which it was headed because that was great and had a lot of variety to offer and potential to get even better.

I spent 17 years living there from '96-2013. As a single woman that whole time there I never felt unsafe. So glad I got out when I did as I really can't stand what's happened to an area that I really use to adore living in and going out in as recently as just 4-5 years ago. Everything is being sold out now. I don't go down there anymore because last I tried a night out there a year ago, it was such a let down. :(

Posted on: 2016/8/9 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't think most people in this thread are upset Rainbow is closing. But rather by the type of place supposedly coming in and what those owners are known to bring the retail & customer element. I don't think anyone is this thread is anti-change. Just many don't like the direction its headed when there are options that would be progressive and suit more of our tastes. People are justifiably worried about the "Hoboken bro" element getting worse and continuing to affect our quality of life and enjoyment of our city. And residents not being the target demo of these new businesses.

this is a well-reasoned and pleasantly-put-forth argument. so of course it's getting shouted down.

I don't doubt your bad experience but I usually go for a walk down Newark Ave Fri/Sat nights and the pedestrian plaza is nothing like downtown Hoboken. This past weekend it was flooded with kids playing, couples, families, and other people like me wandering around. There was absolutely no lack of diversity you cite (I too remember DTJC 15 years ago). Porta did not have a line of bros with popped collars, and I must have run into 10+ people I know just from living in the neighborhood. Anywhere you go there will be annoying drunk people but I question whether anyone complaining here actually spends time in the area on weekend nights. It's really not bad at all.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Posted on: 2016/8/9 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't think most people in this thread are upset Rainbow is closing. But rather by the type of place supposedly coming in and what those owners are known to bring the retail & customer element. I don't think anyone is this thread is anti-change. Just many don't like the direction its headed when there are options that would be progressive and suit more of our tastes. People are justifiably worried about the "Hoboken bro" element getting worse and continuing to affect our quality of life and enjoyment of our city. and residents not being the target demo of these new businesses.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 18:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/7 12:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Are you talking about the 1980s or are you talking about maybe 10 years ago when there were things happening on Newark Avenue, really no muggings as far as I remember and none of the shitty party bros coming in now?

Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't think most people in this thread are upset Rainbow is closing. But rather by the type of place supposedly coming in and what those owners are known to bring the retail & customer element. I don't think anyone is this thread is anti-change. Just many don't like the direction its headed when there are options that would be progressive and suit more of our tastes. People are justifiably worried about the "Hoboken bro" element getting worse and continuing to affect our quality of life and enjoyment of our city. and residents not being the target demo of these new businesses.

At the end of the day, money rules all in our society. If you don't like this change, perhaps you can find a group of people to pool their money together and fund a "progressive," (meaning narrow-minded and insular) alternative to replace Rainbow.

If not, these owners will let their money do all the talking, as they are the ones taking on all the risk. Besides, like someone else said, the "Hoboken bro" element already comes here for Porta. If that's where Newark Ave is headed, it's still a vast improvement over getting mugged, like the old days. Bring on the progress!

Posted on: 2016/8/9 18:44

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/7 12:19
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yo...I will back this sentiment so hard. If I wanted to hang out with kids from Nutley, I would go to HOB...but thanks to kind developers, they can just come and take up Saturday parking and puke in my backyard. Thanks Jersey City.

Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Indoor mini golf would kill!

I'd go broke.

1Republik won't be the end of the world, but like others said, it'll just be a pretty loud and blaring admission that we're doing this thing and there's no going back.
Talk all you want about gentrification and make it sound like, "well you knew this was going to happen!"
Well, kind of, but there's a lot of ways you can go about changing the landscape of a neighborhood. Surely there's a middle ground between cars on cinder blocks and dudes in salmon shorts puking in the middle of the street at 10pm.
A bar like Archer or a restaurant like Roman Nose or a retail store like Kannibal or Word is a great representation of where I thought we were headed and where I had hoped we were going to continue to head.

If given the choice, I would absolutely pick hanging out in a park full of junkies over walking down Washington St. on a weekend. Maybe I'm weird. I don't know, man.

Posted on: 2016/8/9 18:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A crappy eyesore is being shut down and some of you are complaining?

Might want to walk outside and get a better perspective on things, lol. This is only good news for that street.

Amen. Glad someone said it. What a bunch of pissy crabs. I've been here 18 years and I love the changes.

The Drama Queens on this site need something to complain about. It's their raison d'etre.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 19:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/13 14:37
From 07302
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Is it really going to affect your quality of life? Don't go there.

I live downtown and I will frequent (and thoroughly enjoy) One Republik once it opens. I know plenty of people that will join me. There is a massive target demo for this kind of establishment that already lives in Jersey City. I'll go there, you go to Hopscotch, or wherever you prefer. That's what's great about America - choices.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
A crappy eyesore is being shut down and some of you are complaining?

Might want to walk outside and get a better perspective on things, lol. This is only good news for that street.

Amen. Glad someone said it. What a bunch of pissy crabs. I've been here 18 years and I love the changes.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody gotten mugged on Newark Ave in the last decade?

I got no problem with you, I just think it's funny that you say the same stuff my parents do. "The Lower East Side!? Are you crazy? That place is a hole!"

It's important to keep your mental roadmaps updated to fit with current situations. Downtown Jersey City, much like Alphabet City, Bushwick, and Hoboken, are not dicey neighborhoods anymore and really haven't been in a long time.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

At the end of the day, money rules all in our society. If you don't like this change, perhaps you can find a group of people to pool their money together and fund a "progressive," (meaning narrow-minded and insular) alternative to replace Rainbow.

If not, these owners will let their money do all the talking, as they are the ones taking on all the risk. Besides, like someone else said, the "Hoboken bro" element already comes here for Porta. If that's where Newark Ave is headed, it's still a vast improvement over getting mugged, like the old days. Bring on the progress!

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Killtown wrote:
Who else but a hipster doofus calls it "American Football" when we're in America?

A non-American? Which Tern is. Which you might know if you weren't a newby apparently bent on throwing some insults around.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PDubs wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

PDubs wrote:
Quote:

tern wrote:
So your complaint has changed from there being no places to watch American Football, to there being no places meeting your precise requirements at which to watch.

In addition to all the places previously listed, there is:
White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

As someone mentioned upthread, how many places can you name where you *can't* watch Giants games?

Robin.

You're missing my point. I want a sports bar that serves food, not a restaurant that serves liquor. Massive difference. JC really doesnt have that right now, so how is there not a need for it?

O'Hara's, Bright Side, PJ Ryans, White Star Bar, Hopscotch, 9th and Coles

Not to mention places like Iron Monkey and Skinner's that have decent bars downstairs. Just off the top of my head.

C'mon man.

How many of the places that you just listed are a good place to watch a game with a large group, in a central location, with access to multiple games being shown on a Sunday? After living in NYC for a long time, thats a sports bar to me. None of the places you mentioned would fit that mold (Hopscotch maybe, but I dont know anyone that intentionally goes there).

A lot of people complain about change, just to complain. I know I'm not alone in looking forward to a large sports bar with many TV's and several games on simultaneously. A lot of you would probably consider me a "bro" though, lol.

The complainers are nuts. A crappy department/dollar store is closing, on a formerly crime ridden street. Almost anything would be an improvement, and of course so would a nice sports bar.

I find it ironic anyone could consider themself to be a "progressive" yet oppose this no-brainer change. This is exactly what progress is!

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Tilted Kilt fit the bill but they didn't make it. Hopscotch is pretty empty too, I don't think DTJC has the weekday crowd to support these large establishments.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 15:08
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Who else but a hipster doofus calls it "American Football" when we're in America?

Quote:

tern wrote:
So your complaint has changed from there being no places to watch American Football, to there being no places meeting your precise requirements at which to watch.

In addition to all the places previously listed, there is:
White Star (2 of them)
Hamilton Inn
Ninth and Coles
Keyhole
Healy's
Greene Hook
Light Horse
Markers
Chile's
Park and Ninth
Lisbon Two

As someone mentioned upthread, how many places can you name where you *can't* watch Giants games?

Robin.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 15:15

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017