Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Man swept up by currents on makeshift dock at New Jersey marina
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
The flimsy driftwood broke due to his weight.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
" Armaan Raj Munglani, 19, awoke at around 2:30 a.m. at the Jersey City apartment he was staying at and decided to go sightseeing and watch the sunrise at Battery Park when on his way he veered off to the Newport Yacht Club and Marina in Jersey City.
Modal Trigger
Photo: Chad Rachman

A curious Munglani then walked out onto a flimsy makeshift dock tethered to the marina when suddenly a small piece of it broke free with him on it."

The water looks calm in the dark, I think he thought he could float across the river to Battery Park. The currents are very strong especially when the tide is going out.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 10:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
The guy had one too many and thought it would be a great idea to sail the Hudson on a piece of plywood. The rest of his story is bs.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 8:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/1 0:23
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
He had a phone -- why not use it?

Why not read the article?

"We think he didn?t want to jump into the water and swim back because he didn?t want to lose his phone,? Guzzo said.

When he saw the fire boats, the man activated the flashlight on his cellphone and began waving it frantically, said Guzzo.

Or you could try clicking on any of the links you didn't post.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

"We think he didn?t want to jump into the water and swim back because he didn?t want to lose his phone,? Guzzo said.

When he saw the fire boats, the man activated the flashlight on his cellphone and began waving it frantically, said Guzzo.

Posted on: 2016/6/11 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2016/6/10 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/10 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I know that marina and I can't for the life of me think of where there would be a sheet of plywood, at water level, accessible to the public. The pier itself is open, although there is a guard shack, but the docks are gated and locked. What could he have been doing there in the middle of the night, unless he was sleeping on a boat (and I don't think Newport allows live-aboards).

Posted on: 2016/6/10 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
It was an accident- why should he pay for the rescue?? also love how people think he should have just swam into the crazy current that broke the crappy dock in the first place. Everyone is SO BRAVE when they are behind a keyboard. His only chance at anyone finding him in dark water was with his cell phone- why would he kill his only means of communication??

A floating piece of plywood is not a dock, and you'd have to be an idiot to walk out on it for any reason, it would barely float you. Don't know if he was playing Huck Finn or what, but I don't buy the story. Piracy is not out of the question, the docks at Liberty Marina are gated, was he looking to board and pillage a yacht?

A lot depends on which article you read. The NY Post paints him in a very sympathetic light. The CBS article, not so much.

The CBS article says that he was rescued at 4:45 am. Since he had been drifting for several hours, that would mean he stepped on the plywood far earlier than the sunrise, around 2:45 am. Which means his story is full of shit, as there is no way I believe this guy intended to hang out on this dock (while probably trespassing) for hours just to watch the sun rise.

The CBS article also quotes a spokesman for the marina saying this guy is now banned for life. Funny how that detail didn't make it into the other stories.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i don't understand how he was wandering around at 2:30 am got into the marina and wanted to see the sunrise....

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:
It was an accident- why should he pay for the rescue?? also love how people think he should have just swam into the crazy current that broke the crappy dock in the first place. Everyone is SO BRAVE when they are behind a keyboard. His only chance at anyone finding him in dark water was with his cell phone- why would he kill his only means of communication??

A floating piece of plywood is not a dock, and you'd have to be an idiot to walk out on it for any reason, it would barely float you. Don't know if he was playing Huck Finn or what, but I don't buy the story. Piracy is not out of the question, the docks at Liberty Marina are gated, was he looking to board and pillage a yacht?

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TonyTwoPoops wrote:

Tony, I'm with you on this on. If you read the Post article, you'll learn his state of mind. He seems like a good guy doing his best to get rescued. If he jumped in the water, he probably would've drowned. The owner of the dock is at fault here. It was an accident. Do we charge folks for a fire rescue from a burning house when they left food on the stove? No.

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From the village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
He should pay for the rescue

Posted on: 2016/6/10 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
(Excerpt from the NY Post story - wow)

Quote:
The seaborne castaway ? who said the plywood beneath him even started to crack ? got so frightened that he was about to meet his end with a watery grave that he frantically began jotting down his last words and messages to his family and friends in a small book he had with him.

?It was my last words to my family, my friends, people I know, people that matter to me,? he said. ?Fortunately I tore up the paper now. You don?t want anyone reading that stuff while you are still alive.?

He said the messages were loaded with, ?things that I?ve been wanting to tell people but I never really had the guts to. This whole ordeal is giving me the power to go tell people what I really need to.?

Posted on: 2016/6/10 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
?We think he didn?t want to jump into the water and swim back because he didn?t want to lose his phone,? Guzzo said.

So close to a Darwin award. I wonder how much money he saved but cost taxpayers to have two rescue boats go save him.

LOL, that is SO what I was thinking. Including the Darwin Award near-miss mention. Send him the bill for the rescue. What an idiot-

https://jonathanturley.org/2015/05/01/ ... 0000-for-mountain-rescue/

Posted on: 2016/6/10 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Man Rescued By FDNY After Drifting Into Hudson River While Watching Sunrise

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/06/09/hudson-river-rescue/

Tourist castaway takes nightmare voyage when makeshift dock breaks loose

http://nypost.com/2016/06/09/tourist- ... e-when-dock-breaks-loose/

Posted on: 2016/6/10 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bustjc wrote:
?We think he didn?t want to jump into the water and swim back because he didn?t want to lose his phone,? Guzzo said.

So close to a Darwin award. I wonder how much money he saved but cost taxpayers to have two rescue boats go save him.

LOL, that is SO what I was thinking. Including the Darwin Award near-miss mention. Send him the bill for the rescue. What an idiot-

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/23 0:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/6/9 21:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i hope he got some nice pictures to share

Posted on: 2016/6/9 20:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Man rescued from Hudson River after walking out to see sunrise

http://nypost.com/2016/06/09/man-resc ... lking-out-to-see-sunrise/

Posted on: 2016/6/9 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Because sunrise is seen best from right at water level? WTF? Strange story, lucky man.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 16:43

Man swept up by currents on makeshift dock at New Jersey marina
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/m ... -marina-article-1.2667119

A man standing on a small makeshift dock at a Jersey City marina to catch the sunrise ended up floating all the way to Governor?s Island when his flimsy raft broke free and was swept up by the currents early Thursday, officials said.

The unidentified man was sailing into the unknown ? without a sail ? about 4:45 a.m. on what FDNY Capt. Louis Guzzo described as an ?eight-foot piece of plywood.?

?At first, we just thought it was debris,? Capt. Guzzo said. ?You wouldn?t put this thing on a lake much less New York Harbor.?

The victim told his rescuers that he went out onto a dock and stood on the piece of plywood at the Newport Yacht Club and Marina in Jersey City so he could watch the sun come up.

But the piece of wood snapped off from its mooring and was taken up by the tide.

Sitting down in the center of the piece of wood so he wouldn?t topple over, the man drifted into New York Harbor?s highly-traveled commercial lanes, where he could have easily been sunk by a passing freighter or ferry boat.

?It was pretty choppy and the wind was pretty strong,? said Guzzo. ?He was in a really bad way.?

Capt. Guzzo and firefighters from FDNY Marine Units 1 and 6 worked together to pluck the hapless castaway from the piece of wood about a quarter mile from Governor?s Island ? about two nautical miles away from where his unexpected voyage began.

One of his lookouts, Firefighter Carlton Hilliard, spotted the light in the distance.

?He was really happy to see us,? Guzzo said.

Marine Unit 6?s boat, the William Feehan, angled alongside the raft so they could block the heavy winds as members of Marine Unit 1, who were in a smaller boat, slipped in and rescued him.

?When they went alongside to grab him, he gave them a pretty big hug,? Guzzo said.

The unharmed castaway was taken back to Jersey City, officials said.

Posted on: 2016/6/9 16:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017