Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: WHY ARE CYCLISTS BEING ALLOWED TO RIDE THOUGH NEWARK AVE PEDESTRIAN PLAZA??

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/26 14:56
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
this thread needs way more chill. i think it's safe to say that bikes in that plaza -- even if it turns out they're prohibited -- are not a pervasive problem to pedestrians. sucks that you almost(?) got hit by an asshole.

Posted on: 2015/7/14 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fomite wrote:
So many rules!! Jeez people relax and learn to live together.
Let's ban bikes. And dogs, and jogging, and children, and strollers.
And music. And smoking...
Where does it end?

When liability rates deem it necessary, and the insurance companies say so.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 23:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
So many rules!! Jeez people relax and learn to live together.
Let's ban bikes. And dogs, and jogging, and children, and strollers.
And music. And smoking...
Where does it end?

Posted on: 2015/7/13 19:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/17 2:28
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I have read as many as I have seen and all of the ones that get forwarded to me. That is exactly why I have rarely posted anything on these forums. All the posts are single-minded and you never see any resolve. Ever. Ban this ban that, it just gets ridiculous.

There has to be balance for things to work.

I have had a few instances over the years but zero on sidewalks because I make sure not to travel quickly (in many cases not even pedaling but pushing along) and I always give the pedestrians the right of way. So, I am an asshat to you despite many of those years being spent keeping my son safe as he learned to ride a bike in a city.

I think most people don't understand the fact that they are living in what will soon be the most populated city in New Jersey. This isn't the suburbs and it definitely isn't Hoboken.

I have been doored several times and have had a few people jump out from between cars. It is never pleasant and despite them jumping out from between a car I feel horrible since I am 285lbs and the majority of the time ride a very heavy bike. They usually pay harder than I.

BTW riding across the Brooklyn Bridge is always nuts during the day. Everyone walking looks at you like you are doing something wrong. When I first moved to Hoboken I used to love riding up to the George Washington Bridge, ride up through the hills in Harlem and then ride down to the PATH or later the ferry at the WTC.

Be safe.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PSS wrote:
Quote:
It should be REALLY interesting to see what happens when the first hipster douche gets shoved off the sidewalk and get his plaid shirt ripped, his ironic t-shirt soiled and/or his beard messy.

This is a little violent don't you think? Should cyclists run-over pedestrians not in the painted cross-walks? If someone crosses a street where there is a light and they decide to cross because they think they can make it, they are free game in your theory because they are not following the rules.

Again, there are sections of JC that it is impossible to share the road (safely) with traffic and occasionally cyclists need to jump up on a sidewalk. If someone does this at full speed they are simply not a good person. Hopefully they will have consequences for their actions.

I think as part of a society it is better to understand that sometimes things can't been done exactly as they are expected to. Which is why we should all be aware of those around us and treat each other with respect.

I have been on and off these forums for years and usually choose not to ever post because it is rare to see a discussion handled with level heads and understanding. I chose to post here because, as someone who has been riding a bike through the streets of Hudson County for 27 years, I thought I might be able to add some perspective. Unfortunately, as with every topic on these forums, it seems to be a, "Me vs. You or Us vs. Them," attitude that always prevails. Very sad.

There is nothing violent in what you quoted... I simply stated a fact: if should be really interesting to see what happens when someone finally decides he (she) has had enough and shoves an asshat cyclist. I said that as an avid cyclist myself.

If you are on and off these forums, and paying attention, you should have seen many, many posts in which we also discuss the issue of pedestrians who act like oblivious asshats that are just an accident waiting to happen. The pedestrian that jumps from in between cars into traffic is as much a menace as many other menaces out there.

Still, having said that, here is the deal: cyclists are to yield to pedestrians at all times. That's the law. Some cyclists in JC ride the sidewalks (illegally) and have the gall to act as if they have the right of way. They will yell at people to get out of their way and zoom by people at fairly high speeds. Have you ever collided with someone at anything over 10 MPH? I have... it ain't pretty. In my situation, I was the cyclist and a clueless tourist jumped from the pedestrian walking area to the bike area of the BK bridge, without ever looking, and from in between people. The guy took a nice hit and tumble. After he collected himself, he apologized and tried to explain he didn't look and "blah, blah, blah"... I simply told him to be more careful next time (he was lucky I was paying attention and managed to slow down a bit before we came in contact) and to have a good day. We all went on our way. He learned a valuable (and painful) lesson, and I was lucky I was able to unclip from my pedals and didn't actually fall down.

In any case, the cyclist/pedestrian thread seems to rear its ugly head every few months. We will never agree on this topic. Some cyclists will continue to be asshats and give the rest of us a bad reputation. If you are a cyclist, it behooves you to try and set a good example and to help promulgate the image of a responsible cyclist, so people will come to respect us, and not resent us. In case you haven't noticed, we (cyclists) are widely despised by pedestrians and drivers, and for good reason sometimes.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 15:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
It should be REALLY interesting to see what happens when the first hipster douche gets shoved off the sidewalk and get his plaid shirt ripped, his ironic t-shirt soiled and/or his beard messy.

This is a little violent don't you think? Should cyclists run-over pedestrians not in the painted cross-walks? If someone crosses a street where there is a light and they decide to cross because they think they can make it, they are free game in your theory because they are not following the rules.

Again, there are sections of JC that it is impossible to share the road (safely) with traffic and occasionally cyclists need to jump up on a sidewalk. If someone does this at full speed they are simply not a good person. Hopefully they will have consequences for their actions.

I think as part of a society it is better to understand that sometimes things can't been done exactly as they are expected to. Which is why we should all be aware of those around us and treat each other with respect.

I have been on and off these forums for years and usually choose not to ever post because it is rare to see a discussion handled with level heads and understanding. I chose to post here because, as someone who has been riding a bike through the streets of Hudson County for 27 years, I thought I might be able to add some perspective. Unfortunately, as with every topic on these forums, it seems to be a, "Me vs. You or Us vs. Them," attitude that always prevails. Very sad.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

QueenONght wrote:
According to a city law adopted 9/9/98, riding bicycles on business district public sidewalks is prohibited. The statement from the city goes on to say that riding on city sidewalks is prohibited:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/uploa ... ke%20to%20Work%20Week.pdf

I'm not trying to start an argument. Frankly, I don't care if people do it--during slower times of day or night when the sidewalk isn't filled with people. My gripe is with people who ride down the center of the sidewalk with no regard for the pedestrians walking there.

That's outdated. It was revised in 2014. Might've been 2013 but pretty sure 2013. REvised to say riding on sidewalk had to be slower than pedestrians. Reason being it was too hard to identify boundaries of zones where sidwalk riding was and was not allowed (it had been prohibited in shopping districts, but nobody - including police enforcement- could agree on where that was. And, anyway, have you ever seen a police officer pull over a biker anyway to tell them they're riding wrong. No.

Post a link or source, because your claim sounds super sketchy: the municipal code clearly states that riding on sidewalks is illegal at all times for all adults. The distinction of business districts was intended for minor (nine years, or younger) and it is clearly spelled out in the statute from 1998. If cops were getting confused by THAT, well... that's a whole different topic.

Municipal code on bicycles.

Seriously, NO ONE should be riding on sidewalks, particularly downtown. The worst are the asshats traveling at high speed. It should be REALLY interesting to see what happens when the first hipster douche gets shoved off the sidewalk and get his plaid shirt ripped, his ironic t-shirt soiled and/or his beard messy.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

... these hard hitting issues like people biking on a paved street, as they have done for years, with not one single documented injury occurring to anyone...

The fast bikes on Newark Ave sidewalks only started after the new sidewalks went in with the new handicap ramps -- there have been many people walking out of stores that have been hit!

I am all for enforcement of banning cyclists from riding on sidewalks especially in commerce districts. When I was little I was told to look both ways when crossing, I still do but now do it when exiting thresholds of businesses. It's the new hit & run. And by the way don't lump these village idiots with the real cyclists that actually care. And by the way...I also bike.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 23:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I have been riding down Newark through Grove Street for nine years it is odd to suddenly prohibit it to cyclist, cars, buses, etc. I have lived in Hudson County since 1988 and have been in JC for almost 11 of those years. I have seen many changes for good and bad in those 27 years. Despite the fact that the plaza makes no sense what-so-ever and has no actual purpose it exists for some reason to someone. To call it a pedestrian plaza is strange considering all of the other types of traffic I witness in there from children to adults. Every morning the car traffic at the corner of Newark and Barrow has become quite amusing as cars pull over to let people out to walk through the, "new city green paint grass" park. The cars do this and block other vehicles as they try to make their way across to Eirie. Pretty sure there will be an accident, fight or a pedestrian or cyclist hit. Oddly that is part of living in a city. Simply painting a street green and blocking traffic doesn't make it for pedestrians only or for that matter fair to other local businesses who don't benefit (or suffer) from this newly defined area. There are a few spots throughout Jersey City (some of which I assume many on these forums have never been) where it is impossible to ride in the street with traffic. So in these cases we carefully ride on sidewalks and then enter the roadway as soon as it is possible. Because we are adults. This is completely in line with State and local laws. BTW look out for the teens they ride crazy and fast... as teens should do.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
I rode through the pedestrian plaza earlier today on my bike. It was mostly empty, and one of the only two small kids was, wait for it... riding a push bike. ;)

And yes, it's only one block, but it's also more convenient to cycle that one block if you're headed anywhere north of the train station. Grove is a one-way street, Marin is a mess, Columbus is not a disaster but traffic is fast and takes you out of the way.

The idea that it poses a risk is a bit silly. It's not like we have bike messengers zooming the pedestrian plaza at 25mph.

On a lighter note, I just noticed that Google Maps now shows that stretch as a pedestrian section, rather than a street. That was quick.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

QueenONght wrote:
According to a city law adopted 9/9/98, riding bicycles on business district public sidewalks is prohibited. The statement from the city goes on to say that riding on city sidewalks is prohibited:

I'm not trying to start an argument. Frankly, I don't care if people do it--during slower times of day or night when the sidewalk isn't filled with people. My gripe is with people who ride down the center of the sidewalk with no regard for the pedestrians walking there.

That's outdated. It was revised in 2014. Might've been 2013 but pretty sure 2013. REvised to say riding on sidewalk had to be slower than pedestrians. Reason being it was too hard to identify boundaries of zones where sidwalk riding was and was not allowed (it had been prohibited in shopping districts, but nobody - including police enforcement- could agree on where that was. And, anyway, have you ever seen a police officer pull over a biker anyway to tell them they're riding wrong. No.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

... these hard hitting issues like people biking on a paved street, as they have done for years, with not one single documented injury occurring to anyone...

The fast bikes on Newark Ave sidewalks only started after the new sidewalks went in with the new handicap ramps -- there have been many people walking out of stores that have been hit!

Whoa hold on, please don't think that's my fight.

If you ride your bike on the sidewalk you should be drawn and quartered.

Biking through the plaza on the road though, you're cool. Do your thing.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
Funny, I saw someone riding through this morning at about 20 mph. I'm done. Thanks to all the people that get it. To those who don't, good luck to you.

Funny, you joined JC List less than a week ago and every one of your posts (10 and counting) has been on this thread you started...

And I'm totally with GrovePath about getting them off the sidewalks along a busy street with stores.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2015/7/12 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
It will end as soon as our representatives pull their heads out of their asses and address these hard hitting issues like people biking on a paved street, as they have done for years, with not one single documented injury occurring to anyone.

It's ridiculous. We elect them, they do nothing. ARE YOU LISTENING CITY COUNCIL!?

The struggle is real down here. You Heights people wouldn't understand.

Posted on: 2015/7/12 5:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I LOVE these never ending posts about downtown drama!

Posted on: 2015/7/12 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
At least let's get them off the sidewalks! Someone coming out of a store on Newark Ave will likely get killed by a bike soon!

Posted on: 2015/7/11 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 23:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
Hey JadedJC (appropriate name), it's my post so I think that makes you the bored troll. No problem with cyclists. I'm one myself. I'm also a parent. I just see a potential danger, even if it's only one permanently scarred child in a five-year period, that could easily be averted. I suppose allowing adults on bikes to ride through from midnight to noon would be okay.

Dude, I say ban children, do you know how many times I've gotten hit in the groin with a careless asshole kids head running around not looking. You are a spaz.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 16:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/13 13:40
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Funny, I saw someone riding through this morning at about 20 mph. I'm done. Thanks to all the people that get it. To those who don't, good luck to you.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
A couple minutes ago I was walking to Downtown Hardware to buy batteries though. A guy I knew was rolling by slowly on his bike in the pedestrian plaza. He waved and said what's up. I walked over to him and punched him in his asshole face for endangering children. Scumbag got what he deserved, amirite?

Once again, I'd like to know how many two years olds have been run over by cyclists in Jersey City.

I'd wager less than are killed in drive by shootings, which is probably still less than the number struck by lightning or mauled by tigers.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 15:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
There's one person getting hysterical here that I can see, and it ain't me. Yes, an adult on a bike running over a two-year-old can cause a permanent scar. This is fairly simple. The signs say that it's a pedestrian plaza/ no vehicular thoroughfare. The city should see that people obey their signs or take them down. In case you don't think a bike is considered to be a vehicle in NJ...
http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/regulations.shtm

Posted on: 2015/7/11 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
I just see a potential danger, even if it's only one permanently scarred child in a five-year period, that could easily be averted

Permanently scarred? Hysterics much? I am soooo glad I wasn't raised in the era of the helicopter parent, where there's a potential danger lurking around every corner that I must be shielded from. I'd be too afraid to leave the house or cope with life. When I was five, I was chased down by an off-leash German shepherd who bit me. My parents dealt with it with the dog's owner and that was that. It didn't occur to anyone to even call the cops, let alone call for a change in rules/laws. I was scarred for all of a week, and after that I still ended up loving dogs. The world doesn't revolve around your freaking child. Jesus, JC is becoming very Park Slope.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 13:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
From downtown jc
Group:
Registered Users
Hey JadedJC (appropriate name), it's my post so I think that makes you the bored troll. No problem with cyclists. I'm one myself. I'm also a parent. I just see a potential danger, even if it's only one permanently scarred child in a five-year period, that could easily be averted. I suppose allowing adults on bikes to ride through from midnight to noon would be okay.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 12:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
OK, jcrules/jamesj, we get it. You don't like cyclists and you're a seriously bored troll. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, please get a life.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 5:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
from what i have seen, the cyclists are not bikeholes...they are biking at very reasonable speeds.....no need to get your panties all twisted up

Posted on: 2015/7/11 3:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Just for the sake of argument, do we have a figure on how many pedestrian injuries have taken place at the hands/wheels of cyclists this year?

Posted on: 2015/7/11 3:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/16 22:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcrules wrote:
Two words, sullyx. PEDESTRIAN PLAZA.

go find me one pedestrian plaza in the US that does not allow for NON-motorized transportation, in the meantime, look out, IMA fly through at 5 MPH in about 15 minutes.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:22
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

QueenONght wrote:
I agree that if the pedestrian plaza will be a permanent fixture that something has to be done to accommodate bike riders... however this should be part of a broader discussion about bikes on the sidewalks in all of Jersey City.

Outside of young children riding on the sidewalk, it is incredibly dangerous (and illegal). I've been clipped by bikers several times on Newark and have had a number of close calls with my dog as well.

If I've experienced this on a regular/less-crowded sidewalk, the addition of bikes to the pedestrian plaza (without any specific guidelines) will result in injuries.

Given that this is still new, now is a great time for the administration to propose a solution.

unfortunately it's NOT illegal to bike on the sidewalk and it drives me up a wall when I see them doing so.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:21
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have a bike, but this thread kind of makes me want to buy one so I can ride it through the plaza at a death defying 5mph.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 20:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017