Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
44 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 44

more...




Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users




(1) 2 »


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#31
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk


Hide User information
Joined:
2015/1/22 21:33
Last Login :
2016/5/18 13:44
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 33
Offline
I was there on the Superbowl as well as about 2 weeks later and ordered food on both occasions as well as a hookah.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 15:54
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#30
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/5/26 20:32
Last Login :
9/23 16:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 204
Offline
It was open last night. I don't know if they were serving food.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 15:29
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#29
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2009/7/30 20:03
Last Login :
12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 357
Offline
Just so I get this correct, Abbey's is currently closed..shut down, not open for business ??

Posted on: 2015/3/6 0:40
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#28
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/7/18 20:46
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 385
Offline
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
This piece of work has started a FB page crying & wringing his hands.


Link? The bizz page hasn't been updated since 2013...

Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:10
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#27
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/17 1:11
Last Login :
11/10 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1181
Offline
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've swept up the block between 3rd and 4th on Monmouth and it is all broken bottles from both Abbey's and the Barge. The Barge is a nuisance but this place is only a step above. Also the dude's veiled threats are hysterical in that video. What an actor.


This place is a hole. I stopped in one time and once only. $6 for a flat and somewhat gristly pint of Sam Adams, in a grimy glass. Can't imagine what horrors the kitchen would concoct. If you're looking for a nasty drink try the Barge. $3 for the can of brown water in that joint.

Also completely agree about the disgusting sidewalk situation on Monmouth. Sunday mornings in the summer looks like a scene from The Walking Dead.
You can look at the kitchen in Abbey's, so you don't have to imagine up some horrors. The Barge Inn. Now that place is a dump.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 18:19
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#26
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

equ wrote:
Definitely bummed about this... It's a grandfathered in as a hookah lounge but the conformity Nazis keep on charging.


Abbey's isn't a bad bar for the hood imo. "Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one". Especially on JCList.


Posted on: 2015/3/3 2:28
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#25
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
kar?ma
k?rm?t

noun
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

informal
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.


Exactly.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 2:10
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#24
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/7/9 19:50
Last Login :
Yesterday 20:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2171
Offline
kar?ma
k?rm?t

noun
(in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

informal
destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 1:53
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#23
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2011/12/12 0:13
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 756
Offline
This piece of work has started a FB page crying & wringing his hands.

Oh Boo-Hoo-Hoo.

Ask his tenants on Monmouth about his not making repairs to the apartments & the rent increase of $100 he tried to get in on shot.

Ask about the little thing he did at the property on Fisk & Culver involving a stove, a refrigerator & Lowes (or maybe it was Home Depot).

While your at it google his address in Bernardsville.

Posted on: 2015/3/3 0:51
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#22
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Did he violate the law or no? Seems like he did and lost his food license for it.


If the health inspector pulled the license without due process - that would be wrong. If he allegedly violated the Smoke-Free Air Act, it's not the JC Health Inspector's job to judge that case - he should be issued a summons and the case heard in a court of law first.

Not for nothing, but your argument is based on what the owner of the pub claims the law to be. Maybe he?s a lawyer, most likely he?s not.
...


Look up the word IF Pebble. And I must say perhaps it's your poor comprehension or use of English - but you continually ascribe positions when none exist.

based entirely upon knowledge of the owner, I trust absolutely nothing the guy says. I have no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 14:59
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#21
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2008/11/18 17:08
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 108
Offline
Definitely bummed about this... It's a grandfathered in as a hookah lounge but the conformity Nazis keep on charging.

Posted on: 2015/3/1 15:01
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#20
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/19 1:29
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 190
Offline
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've swept up the block between 3rd and 4th on Monmouth and it is all broken bottles from both Abbey's and the Barge. The Barge is a nuisance but this place is only a step above. Also the dude's veiled threats are hysterical in that video. What an actor.


This place is a hole. I stopped in one time and once only. $6 for a flat and somewhat gristly pint of Sam Adams, in a grimy glass. Can't imagine what horrors the kitchen would concoct. If you're looking for a nasty drink try the Barge. $3 for the can of brown water in that joint.

Also completely agree about the disgusting sidewalk situation on Monmouth. Sunday mornings in the summer looks like a scene from The Walking Dead.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 14:56
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#19
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Guys - watch the Facebook video. It's Abbey's issue, not Yvonne's.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 4:49
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#18
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/9/15 18:45
Last Login :
8/28 3:32
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 170
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing"
I guess, you missed this. It is the reason I made my comments.


I remember it from when I wrote it. I can't make sense of your comment about the sky and potholes, but that's ok. Do you think Fulop has something to do with the situation?


I am not clairvoyant, I do not know.


So what was the purpose of posting it in the first place? Do you truly care about Abby's Pub?

The problem is that you are always complaining about something the mayor has or hasn't done. And you choose to post this video, where some guy is criticizing the mayor.

I'm not clairvoyant either, but if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Posted on: 2015/2/28 3:58
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#17
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 4:17
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing"
I guess, you missed this. It is the reason I made my comments.


I remember it from when I wrote it. I can't make sense of your comment about the sky and potholes, but that's ok. Do you think Fulop has something to do with the situation?


I am not clairvoyant, I do not know.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 2:23
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#16
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Did he violate the law or no? Seems like he did and lost his food license for it.


If the health inspector pulled the license without due process - that would be wrong. If he allegedly violated the Smoke-Free Air Act, it's not the JC Health Inspector's job to judge that case - he should be issued a summons and the case heard in a court of law first.

Not for nothing, but your argument is based on what the owner of the pub claims the law to be. Maybe he?s a lawyer, most likely he?s not.
...


Look up the word IF Pebble. And I must say perhaps it's your poor comprehension or use of English - but you continually ascribe positions when none exist.

Posted on: 2015/2/28 2:15
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#15
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/16 19:15
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 448
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
"The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing"
I guess, you missed this. It is the reason I made my comments.


I remember it from when I wrote it. I can't make sense of your comment about the sky and potholes, but that's ok. Do you think Fulop has something to do with the situation?

Posted on: 2015/2/28 1:03
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#14
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 4:17
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
"The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing"
I guess, you missed this. It is the reason I made my comments.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 20:59
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#13
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/16 19:15
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 448
Offline
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Hilarious. This is not in fact a new issue. Abbey has been trying to skirt the law since the anti-smoking law went into effect. For a long time it was the only bar you could smoke in after April 2006, until the city challenged them and they eventually put a stop to it. This was during the Healy administration. The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing, when it is really just another small piece of the long Abbey's story. Ask him about his servers lighting up hookahs in the back room with their mouths and then sending the hookah out to customers without any regard to sterilization or sanitation. Ask him about his sidewalk cafe and why it violates the city ordinance by taking up far more than half the sidewalk.


Wow, so if the sky falls, that is a Yvonne thing? Don't forget to blame the pot holes on me too!


What? That doesn't even make sense.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 20:54
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#12
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2004/6/17 2:16
Last Login :
Today 4:17
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 5060
Offline
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Hilarious. This is not in fact a new issue. Abbey has been trying to skirt the law since the anti-smoking law went into effect. For a long time it was the only bar you could smoke in after April 2006, until the city challenged them and they eventually put a stop to it. This was during the Healy administration. The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing, when it is really just another small piece of the long Abbey's story. Ask him about his servers lighting up hookahs in the back room with their mouths and then sending the hookah out to customers without any regard to sterilization or sanitation. Ask him about his sidewalk cafe and why it violates the city ordinance by taking up far more than half the sidewalk.


Wow, so if the sky falls, that is a Yvonne thing? Don't forget to blame the pot holes on me too!

Posted on: 2015/2/27 20:32
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#11
Quite a regular
Quite a regular


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/8/5 0:18
Last Login :
2016/11/4 10:26
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 51
Offline
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Hilarious. This is not in fact a new issue. Abbey has been trying to skirt the law since the anti-smoking law went into effect. For a long time it was the only bar you could smoke in after April 2006, until the city challenged them and they eventually put a stop to it. This was during the Healy administration. The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing, when it is really just another small piece of the long Abbey's story. Ask him about his servers lighting up hookahs in the back room with their mouths and then sending the hookah out to customers without any regard to sterilization or sanitation. Ask him about his sidewalk cafe and why it violates the city ordinance by taking up far more than half the sidewalk.



So right! Those sidewalk tables take up so much space only one person can fit around them on the sidewalk. It's nuts. As a neighbor I also don't appreciate all of the liter and stuff that accumulates there. Their garbage cans are always blowing stuff out of them and broken bottles are always in the street right there. No one ever cleans it up. So in the video when he is talking about this is where he lives I'm thinking then take care of it better!

Posted on: 2015/2/27 20:01
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#10
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/5/26 20:32
Last Login :
9/23 16:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 204
Offline
I can't tell you how many times I've swept up the block between 3rd and 4th on Monmouth and it is all broken bottles from both Abbey's and the Barge. The Barge is a nuisance but this place is only a step above. Also the dude's veiled threats are hysterical in that video. What an actor.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:35
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#9
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/7/9 19:50
Last Login :
Yesterday 20:02
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 2171
Offline
Happy Boor has been with the department for quite a while. It's not like the Mayor put his own inspector in to start harassing Abbey.

I dealt with the health department a while ago and was extremely impressed with their knowledge base and credentials. These guys are laser focussed and take any threat to health very seriously (at least in my limited experience). As much as they were a part of the JC machine, it seemed like the staff were really concerned about their jobs without the usual crap you experience on a municipal level.

Sounds like Abbey had been warned previously and ignored the warning, to his detriment. I didn't even think you could openly smoke in a bar anymore.

Truly interested in hearing the other side of this story.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:33
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Hide User information
Joined:
2005/9/27 20:08
Last Login :
4/7 17:56
From Historic Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 95
Offline
There's more to this than the link indicates. There's a link to the full interview where he says they came 3 times in 100 days. That means he's been on their Radar since October. Someone filed a complaint. They came back in January with health inspector, fire inspector, zoning inspector and building dept. I'm no fan of what happened, but it seems to me that he either ignored or didn't take the prior inspections seriously. The task force doesn't just show up like that on the first visit. But still the first visit will result in violations,unless they find something really bad, like rat infestation, the second visit is to see if whatever was cited in the first inspection was taken care of, and the third comes from inaction or unsatisfactory corrective action. The summons and revocation legal or not wouldn't happen on the first or even second visit.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:21
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#7
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/11/17 1:11
Last Login :
11/10 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1181
Offline
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, if he actually did violate the law and lose his food license for it, fine, I get it. But he shouldn't have to go through endless bureaucratic nonsense to get the license back. He should be able to do what the city requires, show them he has corrected his mistake and then move on. His place not having a food license isn't serving any purpose. If he has to re-open and no longer offer hookahs, so be it. But don't jerk him around in bureaucratic hell to get to that.

Also, while I understand that rules are rules, I think it is also a load of bull---- that the city decided to just enforce this rule out of the blue after ten years of not enforcing it. This happens all too often - the backflow preventer requirement debacle from a few years ago was another good example. Either enforce the laws or don't. Seems like Jersey City enforces laws when it is convenient for them to do so, and ignores them when it isn't (like the one about all city employees being required to live in Jersey City).


Welcome to Jersey City, where instead of trying to work with businesses and citizens, the enforcement officials prefer to "catch" people and shut them down. Instead of you know, discussing it with Abbey's and trying to find a solution to something that's been ongoing for a decade, they decide to just one day show up and shut the place down.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:19
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#6
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2014/9/16 19:15
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 448
Offline
Hilarious. This is not in fact a new issue. Abbey has been trying to skirt the law since the anti-smoking law went into effect. For a long time it was the only bar you could smoke in after April 2006, until the city challenged them and they eventually put a stop to it. This was during the Healy administration. The only reason Yvonne is even posting this is because Abbey is trying to make this out to be a Fulop thing, when it is really just another small piece of the long Abbey's story. Ask him about his servers lighting up hookahs in the back room with their mouths and then sending the hookah out to customers without any regard to sterilization or sanitation. Ask him about his sidewalk cafe and why it violates the city ordinance by taking up far more than half the sidewalk.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:13
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#5
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Did he violate the law or no? Seems like he did and lost his food license for it.


If the health inspector pulled the license without due process - that would be wrong. If he allegedly violated the Smoke-Free Air Act, it's not the JC Health Inspector's job to judge that case - he should be issued a summons and the case heard in a court of law first.

Not for nothing, but your argument is based on what the owner of the pub claims the law to be. Maybe he?s a lawyer, most likely he?s not.

Interestingly, the summonses says for him to appear in court last week. The video was uploaded today. When was it shot? What occurred at the hearing? Did he bother to attend?

I find it a little silly that the guy argues it is a ?personal attack? and that Fulop wants to shut him down to re-sell the building to someone else.

Quote:

caj11 wrote:
You know, if he actually did violate the law and lose his food license for it, fine, I get it. But he shouldn't have to go through endless bureaucratic nonsense to get the license back. He should be able to do what the city requires, show them he has corrected his mistake and then move on. His place not having a food license isn't serving any purpose. If he has to re-open and no longer offer hookahs, so be it. But don't jerk him around in bureaucratic hell to get to that.

Also, while I understand that rules are rules, I think it is also a load of bull---- that the city decided to just enforce this rule out of the blue after ten years of not enforcing it. This happens all too often - the backflow preventer requirement debacle from a few years ago was another good example. Either enforce the laws or don't. Seems like Jersey City enforces laws when it is convenient for them to do so, and ignores them when it isn't (like the one about all city employees being required to live in Jersey City).

Or, what is more likely, the City is finally deciding to crack down and clean things up that were ignored previously under mayors that completely sucked *cough*Healy*cough*.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 19:08
Dos A Cero
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#4
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2007/10/1 1:03
Last Login :
Yesterday 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1207
Offline
You know, if he actually did violate the law and lose his food license for it, fine, I get it. But he shouldn't have to go through endless bureaucratic nonsense to get the license back. He should be able to do what the city requires, show them he has corrected his mistake and then move on. His place not having a food license isn't serving any purpose. If he has to re-open and no longer offer hookahs, so be it. But don't jerk him around in bureaucratic hell to get to that.

Also, while I understand that rules are rules, I think it is also a load of bull---- that the city decided to just enforce this rule out of the blue after ten years of not enforcing it. This happens all too often - the backflow preventer requirement debacle from a few years ago was another good example. Either enforce the laws or don't. Seems like Jersey City enforces laws when it is convenient for them to do so, and ignores them when it isn't (like the one about all city employees being required to live in Jersey City).

Posted on: 2015/2/27 18:40
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#3
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2010/8/17 1:45
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 3010
Offline
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Did he violate the law or no? Seems like he did and lost his food license for it.


If the health inspector pulled the license without due process - that would be wrong. If he allegedly violated the Smoke-Free Air Act, it's not the JC Health Inspector's job to judge that case - he should be issued a summons and the case heard in a court of law first.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 18:35
 Top 


Re: Abbey's Pub & Grill faces uncertain future
#2
Home away from home
Home away from home


Hide User information
Joined:
2013/3/29 21:43
Last Login :
2019/12/17 22:00
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Posts: 1894
Offline
Did he violate the law or no? Seems like he did and lost his food license for it.

Posted on: 2015/2/27 18:25
Dos A Cero
 Top 




(1) 2 »




[Advanced Search]





Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017