Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Apartment hunting suggestions needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I wonder why I bother with this list sometimes. The answer lies probably more with the small percentage of helpful comments. I've become more intolerant to the know it alls, i.e., Brewster et al. Did I ever imply I play my music loud so it inconveniences others? If once in a while on a Friday afternoon is too much for you Brewster, it's a wonder you are able to rent out your apartments.

Sorry for the tirade. It just blows my mind that some people can be such pompous know it alls.

Thanks to all those with helpful comments. I'm looking at a pre-war building in JSQ this week.

Good luck in your search. If it doesn't come off perfect, you can always take a look in McGinley Square. The area has been getting better and the rates should not be that high.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 13:20
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
...what Anonymess is likely concerned about vis "private house" is not having the landlord on premises giving him the hairy eyeball. But relatively few buildings over 3 units are owner-occupied.

Haha -- I had to look that up!

Meaning

A glance made with partially lowered eyelashes. This usually indicates suspicion or hostility but may signal other emotions too.

Origin

This is a US phrase from the 1960s and is largely restricted to US use. The earliest known printed record of it is from The Galveston Daily News, November 1961, in a piece that reports on an interview with Carol Burnett:

'With her [Burnett's sister] everything is boys-boys-boys. She's really educated me. She was telling me about a boy looking at her and she said, "He gave me the hairy eyeball." That meant he liked her.'

That appears to contradict the usual suspicious and hostile meaning which is evident in this slightly later piece from The New York Times, November 1963:

"He gave me the hairy eyeball" - means that someone is disapproving.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder why I bother with this list sometimes. The answer lies probably more with the small percentage of helpful comments. I've become more intolerant to the know it alls, i.e., Brewster et al. Did I ever imply I play my music loud so it inconveniences others? If once in a while on a Friday afternoon is too much for you Brewster, it's a wonder you are able to rent out your apartments.

Sorry for the tirade. It just blows my mind that some people can be such pompous know it alls.

Thanks to all those with helpful comments. I'm looking at a pre-war building in JSQ this week.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 2:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/22 21:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Bob, what Anonymess is likely concerned about vis "private house" is not having the landlord on premises giving him the hairy eyeball. But relatively few buildings over 3 units are owner-occupied.

Ahh, ok that makes more sense. That can be a pain. Well, best of luck in the search Anonymess.

Posted on: 2014/3/4 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Along Summit between Fairmont and Grand are places going for about $1,000. The walk to JSQ is just north of 15 minutes, if you count going through the turnstile.

If you are in Lafayette already then this would be a similar area that is slightly closer to the PATH station.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 22:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4323668716.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4327173770.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4330167409.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4341771598.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4330780201.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/apa/4353315907.html

Here are a few near the Richard street and Danforth ave stations. Rents are between $850 to $1200 a month one, two and three bedrooms. I was just in the Foundry this weekend at a party, what so bad about it? If the rent is dirt cheap, just stay there. The area is not the bad IMO. Good Luck!!!!

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:53

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Someone who wants a private house so he can listen to loud music isn't a douche. A douche is someone who moves into a two-family house and then listens to loud music anyway.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I also like to crank up the music once in a while.

Yeah, as I thought. Let me inform you there's an amazing technology out there now called HEADPHONES.

Yeah, I was about to jump on this one, too. Just reeks of douchiness. "I like to crank the music up." Well, I'm sure your neighbors just LOVE you, especially the ones who may not keep "banker's hours".

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
I also like to crank up the music once in a while.

Yeah, as I thought. Let me inform you there's an amazing technology out there now called HEADPHONES. Wireless ones, analog and bluetooth ones, of every description and quality. Even tiny bluetooth receivers to plug buds or Beats into. And if there's 2 of you, buy 2.

I'm a night owl who watches TV late, and I've used Sennheiser wireless headphones nearly every night for 15 years. My building of young tenants is very quiet, the only person who played loud music til she recently moved out was sixty something, and not very tech savvy. Today there's simply no reason to inflict your music or loud TV on your neighbors.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend checking out the area between Montgomery-Gifford/Bently between West Side & Bergen. This area between McGinely Sq. & Lincoln Park has some great deals and lots of pre-war buildings with larger renovated units. Lots of bus service to JSQ if you don't feel like taking the 15-20 min. walk too.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
To clarify, yes, not owner occupied. My short stint in a 2 family house cured me of that where the owner treated me as a guest and basically thought of the whole house as his. That also cured me of small houses, hence my initial requirement of an apartment building. I also like to crank up the music once in a while.

Owners tend to do this. I dealt with an owner years ago who stated: "taxes are going up so you're gonna have to..." I stated back I do not have to do anything the house is your responsibility I can go elsewhere. It was the attitude I was appalled at. Owners sometimes feel renters are there because they cannot afford a house and have no responsibility. Therefore, I see what you are saying about small two family houses.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 14:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To clarify, yes, not owner occupied. My short stint in a 2 family house cured me of that where the owner treated me as a guest and basically thought of the whole house as his. That also cured me of small houses, hence my initial requirement of an apartment building. I also like to crank up the music once in a while.

I'm also looking for 850+ square feet. I have 1000 now. I realize after looking around that my requirements for big and semi-luxurious with proximity to the PATH don't equate to $1500-$1700. I didn't realize what a good deal I have despite the issues here.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bobsacamano wrote:
This happens on every realty website. The broker or owner is mistaken/being misleading. All padmapper does is collect information from sites (like craigslist) and put it in a user-friendly format. The website is not calling anything anything.

If you're on a budget I think it's the best tool you have as a renter. Type in 07302, set a price range, and have it email you updates every few hours.

At least Padmapper lets you set a zip, unlike Craigslist itself where it lets the fact that realtors can put in "downtown" somewhere act a a keyword driving all sorts of non-downtown listings to the search. They had blocked PM for a while, glad to see it survived.

Bob, what Anonymess is likely concerned about vis "private house" is not having the landlord on premises giving him the hairy eyeball. But relatively few buildings over 3 units are owner-occupied.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 1:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This happens on every realty website. The broker or owner is mistaken/being misleading. All padmapper does is collect information from sites (like craigslist) and put it in a user-friendly format. The website is not calling anything anything.

If you're on a budget I think it's the best tool you have as a renter. Type in 07302, set a price range, and have it email you updates every few hours.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
They are calling places on Kennedy Blvd. Downtown J.C. along with a tenement slum on Academy St. Downtown as well. I would not trust this site.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 10:46
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Padmapper is your best option I think. You can find a 1 bedroom dowtown in that price range if you wanted to, but from what you're saying, it looks like you're ruling out townhouses?

http://newjersey.en.craigslist.org/apa/4350871740.html

This one's probably already gone (says no pets too), but you can set it to email you once something new is posted in a given area.

The worst I have to deal with living in an 8 unit building is running in to someone on the stairs and having to say hi to them. If privacy is your concern, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garage wrote:
got to take Brewsters side on this one.

I'd like to keep this from getting personal so let me address this stuff now. It's probably a moot point since I don't think any place exists for the price I wanna pay. Prices have changed rapidly here.

I PM'd Brewster basically saying that I took his initial remarks to be very unhelpful and challenging, hence my response. I don't see where he ever asked me to try to narrow my choices or elaborate. Anyway, that's how I read it and perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it wasn't intended that way. It's irrelevant.

In hindsight, I should have followed my own advice and not responded at all. It obviously did nothing to help me get information.

So, am I best off just staying where I am and putting up with some of the baloney that goes on here at the Foundry? Comparatively, my rent is dirt cheap.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 0:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 23:53
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
got to take Brewsters side on this one.

Posted on: 2014/3/2 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

anonymess wrote:
Perhaps my post wasn't clear. Renovated is fine. Private house is ok as long as I have privacy. Private house means just that, a private house, haha. That means 2 family or 8 family. I didn't want to get too specific so as not to eliminate 95% of the market, but you've done that for me. -)

Seriously Brewster, if you have nothing constructive to say, why say anything?

Really, you are a mess. I ask you to refine your vague parameters and you snipe at me? I think I get why you want a big anonymous building, you're probably someone that I wouldn't rent to if you came to see one of my buildings. You get a nose for these things.

BTW, most people would not call an 8 family building a "private house".

Posted on: 2014/3/1 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
For what your aski g the only place is Journal Sq.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Wow, if you eliminate all the older construction and want it at that price point, you've narrowed your selection considerably. Is a renovated older space OK? And what do you mean by "private house"? 2 family? 8 family? Most of JC is small multifamily buildings.

Some of the larger old buildings around the Heights & JS are amazing, filled with Deco details. But you want modern. Oh well.

Perhaps my post wasn't clear. Renovated is fine. Private house is ok as long as I have privacy. Private house means just that, a private house, haha. That means 2 family or 8 family. I didn't want to get too specific so as not to eliminate 95% of the market, but you've done that for me. -)

Seriously Brewster, if you have nothing constructive to say, why say anything?

Meanwhile, I checked out that bldg. in Newport although Newport is far from the top of my list. I couldn't believe studios are going for $2000+. It's a moot point, I couldn't afford Newport anyway, not for what I want.

Meanwhile, I did some checking around and so far it appears that my price point isn't high enough. I live at the Foundry now and was going by the prices here. I didn't realize I had such a good deal until now even though the place, uh, leaves something to be desired. Well, a lot of things. It's probably cheap because of the area. I'm guessing prices are lower here because the area unfairly gets a bad rap, much of it unjustly so in my opinion. I happen to love the area and as I stated, would love to stay in this area. Hence, I might just stay where I am.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 17:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wow, if you eliminate all the older construction and want it at that price point, you've narrowed your selection considerably. Is a renovated older space OK? And what do you mean by "private house"? 2 family? 8 family? Most of JC is small multifamily buildings.

Some of the larger old buildings around the Heights & JS are amazing, filled with Deco details. But you want modern. Oh well.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 17:01

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/4/17 3:02
From JC waterfront
Group:
Registered Users

We live in the new Laguna Building in Newport section of JCity.

Check out the website there are many apartments and its a pet friendly community.

Good Luck.

http://newportrentalsnj.com

Posted on: 2014/3/1 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Those kinds of apartments generally don't seem to get listed on the bigger sites like Zillow and Trulia. Perhaps because they go fast, or cost too much to list. Try calling the apartment managers on this list, like:

http://www.nybits.com/managers/heightsre.html

Posted on: 2014/3/1 15:10

Apartment hunting suggestions needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Long time resident here looking for 1 or 2 bedroom apt. for myself and 2 cats. I'm posting more for suggestions than anything else. I'd prefer not to live in a private house.

I'm open to many different areas though I have preferences. A major requirement is that it be within 15 minutes or so of any PATH - I generally bike except in inclement weather, i.e., rain or snow covered streets. I don't own a car.

I am looking for modern furnishings and a fairly modern apartment building, though I will consider a private house that offers privacy. My first preference is in Lafayette in the LSP area, but there aren't very many apartment buildings I know of. I am steering away from downtown because you get less for the money. The JSQ area seems to have the most activity and I have no problem with most parts of the area, though some places seem very overpriced.

I'm willing to go up to $1750 but would prefer to keep it closer to $1500.

Any suggestions on which apartment buildings I can contact? Do realtors generally charge a fee?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 14:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017