Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: Jersey City to choose new ambulance provider?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
There are 70 people signed up to speak tonight at the Council meeting (not necessarily all on this issue). It is still unclear whether the Resolution is on for vote, or whether it will be tabled pending further legal review.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 19:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/9 14:18
Group:
Registered Users
I have been reading alot of the articles in the paper and online about this. I've noticed that there is alot of misinformation whether it is deliberate or not. I can tell you from experience, I worked in the ems field for 18 years, first off you can not be forced to go to Bayonne hospital or hoboken if you want to still go to the Jersey City Medical Center for care. Many emts that work at JCMC also work for or at one time worked at McCabe. The level of training is the same throughout the state for ALL emts. I know many of the emts that currently work at the Jersey City Medical Center and do not want to see any of them lose their jobs but I do think we should consider this contract. The NJ dept. of OEMS regulates the ems in the state, they are suppose to keep track and act accordingly if anyone is criminally charged. So as far as background checks go that should be easy to do, if your interested you can go to their website and lookup someone to see if they have been ever charged or disciplined by the state. I also think they should make McCabe and Carepoint prove prior to taking over that they have the manpower and equipment ready to go otherwise they should withdraw their bid and award JCMC the new contract.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
For the last three days McCabe has been publishing the same exact ad in the Jersey Journal five times per day for a cost of $12,500 per day or a grand total so far of $37,500. The ads are the same so what is the rationale behind them? It seems McCabe has tons of green to throw away or may be looking at that pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow,

Posted on: 2013/12/18 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Apologies, my mistake - I misread the First Responder Services score

Posted on: 2013/12/18 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The score for JCMC should be 278 vs 270 out of a possible 280. But Bob Kakoleski chose McCabe over JCMC?

Anyone else think this is strange?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for this, I looked at one of the reviewer's detailed score, Bob Kakoleski page 479 of the agenda:

http://jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedFiles ... solutions/resos121813.pdf

McCabe was rated as #1 over JCMC and the score was 268 vs 270, but if you look at the details, McCabe only beat JCMC on the "First Responder Services (or reimbursemsnt)" 4 pts vs 2

but if you look down JCMC beat McCabe on 5 other criteria,
Advanced Life Support
Management and Staffing
Vehicles, Equipment, Supplies
Roster
Levels of Service

So where are the missing points?

Am I imagining this?

Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
And yet another article. On all standards, JCMC scored higher points except cost.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_council_hears_both.html

Posted on: 2013/12/18 16:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And yet another article. On all standards, JCMC scored higher points except cost.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_council_hears_both.html

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The Times has already written up Bayonne Hospital as one of the most expensive in the country. The link is posted somewhere below.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
So, If I fainted from low-blood sugar, this can cost me $2000?

Maybe someone can contact the New York media for this. They came yesterday for the opening of the safes. It would be interesting to see the Wall Street Journal or New York Times analyze it.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/27 1:30
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
An open letter to all the Jersey City Council Members:

This is my last email plea to have you reconsider voting against changing Jersey City's EMS service over to McCabe/CarePoint come January 1st, 2014.

This is only 2 weeks away. With McCabe is posting job listings on its current Facebook page, it's clear they are not ready. You cannot find the workforce needed with proper background checks and references in such a short period of time.

JCMC is a state of the art hospital with the only trauma center in Jersey City that should be nurtured. Then why is McCabe paying Jersey City $2.6 million to get the contract?
This question dogged me for a while and then I realized this isn't just about getting the EMS contract for McCabe, but it's ultimate goal is to financially jeopardize and choke JCMC by losing the contract with the city of Jersey City and CarePoint having monopoly and having its hands in scooping hopefully bankrupt JCMC in future for dirt cheap and turning it into profit company from non-profit like it did with Bayonne Hospital and begins its predatory billing practice. Then all these hospitals in Hudson County: JCMC, Bayonne Hospital and Hoboken Hospital will have a monopoly and will be free to bill whatever they want.

Then all the sudden, that 2.6 Million McCabe paid to the city is such a bargain in comparison to what the residents will then pay in exchange.

I am a mom, a wife, and a resident of Jersey City that really loves our neighborhood. I never thought when picking the neighborhood to live in, I had to factor in whom my city has contracted for its EMS. Property tax is hard to swallow, but we do it because we love our house. Public education? Yes, it needs improvements and it is getting better and we have private schools that can substitute. But basic life and death situation and care over my health? I want EMS with experience, know how of our streets, well staffed, and with enough state of the art ambulances as well as hospital that is well rated and takes my insurance.

I don't want this to be about lobbyists, profit, blind ambition and greed.

Finally, I have attached the petition that started just yesterday to try to stop you from voting against JCMC EMS serving our city:http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor ... ersey-city-s-ems-provider You will see that in two days we have gotten 600+ signatures along with some comments from ??voters pleading you to reconsider. The final petition will be presented at the meeting tomorrow.

I am pleading to your independent conscious and creativity. JCMC is in your hands, I am sure if you had more time and sit down with them, you can come up with solution with JCMC that will be best for city of Jersey City. During this holiday season, your decision can impact so many EMS employees and their family at JCMC. We value our police officers, fireman and we should value our EMS at JCMC who have served us and saved many lives in Jersey City.

Sincerely,

Yoo Lee

Thanks for your leadership on this, Yoo!

Posted on: 2013/12/18 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

And the alternative model for these bankrupt hospitals was what? City taxpayer funding?

In hind site Bayonne should have bailed out their hospital because now the have the worst healthcare profiteer in the nation. Now we face the same fate? but without our backs to the wall we are handing it over for nothing.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Profit vs Non profit is just a small part of the issue, the bigger issue is can Mccabe offer a comparable level of service and care for the patient that JCMC offers. First off all one has to do is look no further then Secaucus, Mccabe had that contract which called for them to maintain 2 ambulances and have a response time of no more then 8 minutes. They lost the contract because they could not maintain 2 ambulances and their response time was well OVER 8 MINUTES!!!

If this is true, it's one of the only actual facts entered into the argument rather than overwrought emotional pleas. Can you provide links to this data? Sorry, but the for-profit nature of the business seems to be big issue for some. Where's Boris when we need him decrying the anti-capitalists?

Has anyone actually gotten the data on what the patient would be charged, if anything, for an out of network ambulance?

Wake up. People aren't so upset merely because they don't like "for profit" businesses. A simple Google search reveals that the range is between $750 - $2000 for a single out of network ambulance ride.

No wonder people are getting so upset. And no wonder this company is willing to pay millions for this contract. Because they'll make it all back and a lot more.

http://www.insurancequotes.com/health ... e-coverage-for-ambulances

http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/featu ... ws-on-ambulance-fees.aspx

Posted on: 2013/12/18 4:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jc344 wrote:
Profit vs Non profit is just a small part of the issue, the bigger issue is can Mccabe offer a comparable level of service and care for the patient that JCMC offers. First off all one has to do is look no further then Secaucus, Mccabe had that contract which called for them to maintain 2 ambulances and have a response time of no more then 8 minutes. They lost the contract because they could not maintain 2 ambulances and their response time was well OVER 8 MINUTES!!!

If this is true, it's one of the only actual facts entered into the argument rather than overwrought emotional pleas. Can you provide links to this data? Sorry, but the for-profit nature of the business seems to be big issue for some. Where's Boris when we need him decrying the anti-capitalists?

Has anyone actually gotten the data on what the patient would be charged, if anything, for an out of network ambulance?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hamiltonpkmom wrote:
I am sure if you had more time and sit down with them, you can come up with solution with JCMC that will be best for city of Jersey City.

Like a better bid?

And while they're at it, reimbursing for the millions that they gouged Jersey City for when they had a monopoly with no fear of competitive bidding?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 3:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
An open letter to all the Jersey City Council Members:

This is my last email plea to have you reconsider voting against changing Jersey City's EMS service over to McCabe/CarePoint come January 1st, 2014.

This is only 2 weeks away. With McCabe is posting job listings on its current Facebook page, it's clear they are not ready. You cannot find the workforce needed with proper background checks and references in such a short period of time.

JCMC is a state of the art hospital with the only trauma center in Jersey City that should be nurtured. Then why is McCabe paying Jersey City $2.6 million to get the contract?
This question dogged me for a while and then I realized this isn't just about getting the EMS contract for McCabe, but it's ultimate goal is to financially jeopardize and choke JCMC by losing the contract with the city of Jersey City and CarePoint having monopoly and having its hands in scooping hopefully bankrupt JCMC in future for dirt cheap and turning it into profit company from non-profit like it did with Bayonne Hospital and begins its predatory billing practice. Then all these hospitals in Hudson County: JCMC, Bayonne Hospital and Hoboken Hospital will have a monopoly and will be free to bill whatever they want.

Then all the sudden, that 2.6 Million McCabe paid to the city is such a bargain in comparison to what the residents will then pay in exchange.

I am a mom, a wife, and a resident of Jersey City that really loves our neighborhood. I never thought when picking the neighborhood to live in, I had to factor in whom my city has contracted for its EMS. Property tax is hard to swallow, but we do it because we love our house. Public education? Yes, it needs improvements and it is getting better and we have private schools that can substitute. But basic life and death situation and care over my health? I want EMS with experience, know how of our streets, well staffed, and with enough state of the art ambulances as well as hospital that is well rated and takes my insurance.

I don't want this to be about lobbyists, profit, blind ambition and greed.

Finally, I have attached the petition that started just yesterday to try to stop you from voting against JCMC EMS serving our city:http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor ... ersey-city-s-ems-provider You will see that in two days we have gotten 600+ signatures along with some comments from ??voters pleading you to reconsider. The final petition will be presented at the meeting tomorrow.

I am pleading to your independent conscious and creativity. JCMC is in your hands, I am sure if you had more time and sit down with them, you can come up with solution with JCMC that will be best for city of Jersey City. During this holiday season, your decision can impact so many EMS employees and their family at JCMC. We value our police officers, fireman and we should value our EMS at JCMC who have served us and saved many lives in Jersey City.

Sincerely,

Yoo Lee

Posted on: 2013/12/18 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Carepoint is out of network for most insurance

The City of Jersey City uses Horizon Blue Cross for it's employees, interesting article from The New York Times, May 2013

The most expensive hospital in America is....

Posted on: 2013/12/18 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Carepoint is out of network for most insurance

Posted on: 2013/12/18 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Question:

Does CarePoint/McCabe accept your insurance? Are they in-network?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
This just in...

NJ.com Article Link

The controversial recommendation that would have seen Jersey City change ambulance providers may not get a vote at tomorrow?s City Council meeting.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said late this afternoon that the city would withdraw the measure from the council?s agenda because an outside legal opinion the city had been waiting for did not arrive today.

About 20 minutes later, Morrill called The Jersey Journal to say city officials would instead have a conference call tomorrow morning and would decide after that whether to postpone the vote.

"We have a final conference call tomorrow with counsel at 10:30 to get written responses to questions from the caucus meeting" last night, Morrill said. "Our goal is to make sure the council has all the info they need to ensure Jersey City residents are getting the best service at the best cost."

The city administration is hoping to get the council?s approval to award its ambulance-service contract to Care Point Health/McCabe Ambulance over the Jersey City Medical Center. JCMC has provided the ambulance service for 130 years.

The proposed switch triggered a war of words between the two entities.

JCMC called Care Point/McCabe untested, out-of-town companies seeking only increased businesses. And McCabe, which is now partially owned by CarePoint's three Hudson County hospitals, and CarePoint alleged JCMC has used the ambulance service to send patients to JCMC against patients' wishes.

Both sides have been encouraging their supporters to turn out tomorrow to let the council know their thoughts.

Council members who could sway one way or the other are keeping their opinions close to the vest. Ward B Councilman Khemraj ?Chico? Ramchal and at-Large Council members Daniel Rivera and Joyce Watterman, who have all voted at the last minute against some Fulop initiatives, told The Jersey Journal they haven?t yet decided which way they?re going to vote on the contract.

Ward F Councilwoman Diane Coleman and Ward E representative Candice Osborne, both tight Fulop allies, expressed support at Monday?s caucus of switching to CarePoint/McCabe.

Ward C Councilman Rich Boggiano has voiced extreme opposition, saying the contract should remain with JCMC.

Ward D Councilman Michael Yun, besides Boggiano the only other council member who didn?t run on Fulop?s slate in May?s municipal race, has said he wants more time to review the proposals, but he hasn?t ruled out voting for CarePoint/McCabe, he said today.

Ward A Councilman Frank Gajewski and at-Large Councilman Rolando Lavarro did not respond to requests for comment.

The council meets tomorrow at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 0:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 16:06
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like there's a lot of confusion and misinformation out there about the bids and the entire process. Why doesn't the Council ask the Medical Center to continue providing the service while the process is better executed by an independent group?

Posted on: 2013/12/18 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to Councilman Boggiano, he was told it was pulled but now the administration has changed their mind. So please attend tomorrow's meeting.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 23:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
Profit vs Non profit is just a small part of the issue, the bigger issue is can Mccabe offer a comparable level of service and care for the patient that JCMC offers. First off all one has to do is look no further then Secaucus, Mccabe had that contract which called for them to maintain 2 ambulances and have a response time of no more then 8 minutes. They lost the contract because they could not maintain 2 ambulances and their response time was well OVER 8 MINUTES!!! Now Secaucus is much smaller then Jersey City and less populated then Jersey City.. What leads you to believe that Mccabe/ Care Point can handle Jersey City ? Or do You suggest We gamble and hope that they keep their end of the deal? I don't want to gamble with my life... That 2.6 million dollars won't even cover the first lawsuit that comes along when you are waiting and waiting for Mccabe to show up !! Not to mention that Care-Point owns Bayonne and Christ Hospitals who barely have enough staff to cover emergency patients as is. and half the time after the patient is treated at the emergency room at Christ Hospital is then transferred to other hospitals such as JCMC since they don't have adequate staff( speaking from experience with more then 1 family member who went to Christ Hospital and after being treated at Christ was subsequently transferred to JCMC) That way Christ Hospital gets to charge the out of network insurance fees for the emergency room visit, not to mention then their partner Mccabe gets the transport again out of network costs.. But lets reward them with this contract....

Posted on: 2013/12/17 23:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Brewster, our water bills are high because someone wants to make a profit. Should that be the same for ambulance service?

Our water bills are high not because of profit but because of monopoly.

The fallacy of your argument is that a well run profit making enterprise is necessarily costlier than the municipal or non-profit. My wife has worked in the non-profit world for 20 years, and the stories she can tell! The lack of accountability and oversight in the non-profits often makes them very costly indeed, the same as a "private" provider who has a monopoly.

Can you really argue that JCPA serves the city better than if we had a contractor who made a profit and kicked back 50% of it to the city instead of losing money like the JCPA often does? If we built a city run broadband system would it really be cheaper than the Comcast/FIOS duopoly, who I believe pay the city a franchise fee?

My point is both systems can fail without oversight and competition, so your belief in the unassailable virtue of non-profit seems misplaced.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, our water bills are high because someone wants to make a profit. Should that be the same for ambulance service?

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

matt07302 wrote:

Yes, CarePoint purchased these financially struggling non-profit hospitals and according to the NYT article (see below) raised the prices to predatory levels. They become solvent, but at what cost to the community that they used to serve. These hospitals are big business and run like one and now we have three of them in our immediate area.

And the alternative model for these bankrupt hospitals was what? City taxpayer funding?

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thos are pretty astonishing numbers.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
McCabe is part of CarePoint, which is Bayonne. An article about expensive hospitals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05 ... ifferences_n_3232678.html

Posted on: 2013/12/17 21:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/17 20:36
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
READ THIS ARTICLE!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/ ... hout-notice-in-six-states

We do not want something like this to happen in our city! Please make your way to city hall tomorrow night and show the mayor he is making a terrible mistake..we can not have McCabe as our provider..if you care about your safety and well being we need JCMC to continue to provide the EMS services for our county.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
You neglect to mention all 3 hospitals were bankrupt and facing closure unless they found a new business model. Like it or not, the "out of network hospital" model has made them solvent again.

Does anyone else notice that, like above, context is missing from most of this discussion?

There are many immediate concerns, like if McCabe can put together an ambulatory force in time, and will the performance of McCabe be better than the nationally recognized JCMC EMS. Concerns that are being discussed in most postings. Yes, CarePoint purchased these financially struggling non-profit hospitals and according to the NYT article (see below) raised the prices to predatory levels. They become solvent, but at what cost to the community that they used to serve. These hospitals are big business and run like one and now we have three of them in our immediate area.

It may be nonlinear, but not without context to see this McCabe deal as one of many that CarePoint has been making in Hudson County. It doesn't seem to be much of a reach to ask our civic leaders to look at the big picture, look at the players involved and look at their motivations.

______
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/17/bus ... s.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

Posted on: 2013/12/17 20:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/27 1:30
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Here?s a solution?.

Both companies are good at what they do no denying it.

Both companies are offering their EMS services free of charge to JC.

So just split Jersey City in two at Montgomery Street.

JCMC will get everything from Montgomery to Bayonne.

McCabe (assuming they will operate out of Christ Hospital) gets everything from Montgomery to Union City.

No need for the $2.6 million from McCabe because there shouldn?t be any calls that the JCFD would need to handle being we would have two EMS companies serving the city backing up each other.

Also make both companies sign a 7 year free service contract with JC. JC has been paying/ subsidizing the JCMC EMS close to $4 million a year since 2006* . So they owe us around $20 million worth of free service. (we saved the JCMC)

*I find that interesting we were paying/subsidizing JCMC EMS millions a year so they could make money from our emergencies.

The solution is a win-win for everyone. JCMC EMS keeps a share, McCabe EMS gets a share, JC taxpayers stop subsiding EMS services, JC residents have double/closer EMS coverage.

Two things:

1 - There would be value in this idea (it is used on Staten Island, between RUMC - part of the former Hudco for-profit chain - and SIUH) if it wasn't feasible to be staffed by one company. JCMC has the resources currently to staff the whole city. They have the buses and staff that McCabe can't possibly establish in time for Dec. 31.

2 - When you think about it, and I know I'm repeating what someone previously mentioned, most city contracts are put out with the idea that there is a cost involved. That's the whole point of putting a project out to bid. I can't think of a time a company PAID for the contract, and not the other way around. Even in Bayonne, McCabe charges the city $800k a year for its 911 services.

Posted on: 2013/12/17 19:48

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017