Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
158 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Upcoming School Board Elections--Who to Vote For?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
There are over 30 public schools in Jersey City. If there were *only* 30 schools, the estimated bill is less than $54,000 per school to roll out new WiFi. So, yeah, I don?t think that is so hugely expensive.

If you think that is too high of a price, what do you think would be fair?

Free.

I don't think you grasp the economics here beyond the tech cost.

No, I'm a complete moron. How about you explain to me all that is involved in getting this magical free WiFi? Tell me who is providing all of the free routers, access points, repeaters and cabling. Give me information beyond insults and one word sentences.

Fact: I broke down per school cost expenditure along with hardware and labor costs. You provide nothing. But yeah, go on with the meme that *I* don't grasp economics...

Connecting the dots for you...Jackp posted that the Federal Universal Service fund (that 15% charge on our utilities) should pick up that wifi tab. We shouldn't have to pay for it TWICE - through both utility charges AND taxes (Get the economics here?). The JC school district needs to apply to the fund.

http://transition.fcc.gov/wcb/tapd/un ... rvice/schoolsandlibs.html

http://www.sl.universalservice.org/menu.asp

Plus there are plenty of corporate philanthropy programs that would likely pick up all or part of the cost. If I was involved with the JC schools admin, I'd start with the existing service provider, and ask what deal they could offer in terms of school wifi sponsorship under their philanthropy programs. Then I'd run down the list of top employers in both the city and state, and solicit their contributions. For example...

http://responsibility.verizon.com/shared-success/2012

http://www.verizonfoundation.org/grants/guidelines/#Eligibility Requirements

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/fi ... /supporting_education.pdf

http://corporate.comcast.com/our-valu ... -partnerships#accordion-2

It's easy to pay full price when it's someone else's money. I hope our new board has more financial savvy.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
There are over 30 public schools in Jersey City. If there were *only* 30 schools, the estimated bill is less than $54,000 per school to roll out new WiFi. So, yeah, I don?t think that is so hugely expensive.

Free.

No, I'm a complete moron. How about you explain to me all that is involved in getting this magical free WiFi? Tell me who is providing all of the free routers, access points, repeaters and cabling. Give me information beyond insults and one word sentences.

Fact: I broke down per school cost expenditure along with hardware and labor costs. You provide nothing. But yeah, go on with the meme that *I* don't grasp economics...

Posted on: 2013/11/6 20:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
The variance in votes among the winners has a lot to do with how the voting machines are laid out. many people are used to the vote straight down the page for Repub/Dem. As such Jessica benefited from this. Ellen Simon was way off to the right in no man's land.

Sad to think that there is a "layout effect" on voting results but there definitely is. My guess is half the people who voted BOE knew the story and why there were voting for the names they chose. The other half just started pushing buttons down the page...

Posted on: 2013/11/6 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Results are interesting, Fulop's team won the three full terms, but they lost the one year term to Valentin.

There was a huge difference in support among individuals within the two slates, clearly lots of folks did not vote along slate lines. Daye received twice as many votes as her running mate Simon.

NP - Jessica DAYE 1I 9,054 21.16%
NP - Kevaan G. WALTON 1J 2,577 6.02%
NP - DeJon MORRIS 1K 1,786 4.17%
NP - Gina VERDIBELLO 1L 3,291 7.69%
NP - Susan HARBACE 1M 937 2.19%
NP - Josephine M. PAIGE 1N 942 2.20%
NP - Lorenzo RICHARDSON 1O 4,337 10.14%
NP - Ellen SIMON 1P 4,566 10.67%
NP - Micheline AMY 3I 7,613 17.79%
NP - Denise DAVIS 3J 2,049 4.79%
NP - Carol L. GABRIEL 3K 1,168 2.73%
NP - Telissa E. DOWLING 3L 588 1.37%
NP - Gerald Maurice LYONS 3N 3,843 8.98%
Personal Choice 39 0.09%
Total 42,790 100.00%

1 Year Term:
NP - Angel L. VALENTIN 6I 7,423 54.06%
NP - Carol LESTER 6J 6,287 45.79%
Personal Choice 21 0.15%
Total 13,731 100.00%

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Free.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Pebble,

The corporate view on providing free services and financial donations to schools is generally considered philanthropy, not commerce. If people think $1.6m/year is cheap, it shows we haven't the right people in place challenging the costs of operation.

At any rate, Jackp posted a better alternative. We already pay for this on our utilities through the Federal Universal Service Fund. JC Public Schools should be getting most of this $1.6m back from this fund. If they are not, we need to ask why.

Quote:

jackp wrote:
Quote:

Am I reading the budget right, that school wifi costs $1.6m/year? Could we not negotiate a better deal - like something closer to FREE?

http://www.boarddocs.com/nj/jcps/Board.nsf/Public ref: Minutes - Public Hearing on the Budget - March 26, 2012.pdf

I?m very curious why you believe that wifi would be free.

Who would provide the routers, repeaters, cabling? Who would do the configuration? How unsecure would you like the wifi to be? Who will maintain the network? Who?s providing the cable line into the buildings? How many schools hav

You are thinking like the candidates that endorsed the NJEA. Or perhaps just not thinking.

Verizon and ATT are among the largest employers in NJ, and Comcast also has a huge presence. All 3 already have near complete wifi coverage across JC. Did anyone from the BOE care to approach them for free wifi for the schools and kids? It would be a marketing win for them and huge benefit to the schools.

And has anyone from the BOE approached other top NJ employers? Goldmans is donating to Newark schools along with Zuckerberg. Why not ask firms like Goldmans who have a major presence in JC, to donate to improving JC schools?

http://www.choosenj.com/NewJersey/med ... Lists-July-2013_FINAL.pdf

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rahimkana ... ergs-100m-gift-to-newark/

I agree this is not free, and I am in this business for full disclosure. HOWEVER, that huge tax you see on your phone bills called the Federal Universal Service Fund collects about 15% on all your interstate services, and redistributes it to "needy" telephone companies, and also to schools and libraries. I have worked with several telecom providers to get highly subsidized services for schools, and the USF program picks up most of the monthly cost. If the JCPS is not getting this money, shame on them!

From what you quoted, it seemed like a roll-out of WiFi across each school. Given the size of the school, number of classrooms? yes, I can see that price.

Let?s say that they weren?t bringing internet in and that they were using internet that existed already. They would need to T off the existing routers to wireless access points. You?d then need to configure and install repeaters all throughout the school, one per 50 yards at the very least. Who is installing all of this? Who is configuring security on the wireless? How fast is the roll-out? Do you have one person working on the project? I?d estimate about $100/hour per person on the low-end. What about the cost of the repeaters? You can?t install the crap that gets put into houses in a school. What about maintenance?

Posted on: 2013/11/5 23:14
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pebble,

The corporate view on providing free services and financial donations to schools is generally considered philanthropy, not commerce. If people think $1.6m/year is cheap, it shows we haven't the right people in place challenging the costs of operation.

At any rate, Jackp posted a better alternative. We already pay for this on our utilities through the Federal Universal Service Fund. JC Public Schools should be getting most of this $1.6m back from this fund. If they are not, we need to ask why.

Quote:

jackp wrote:
Quote:

Am I reading the budget right, that school wifi costs $1.6m/year? Could we not negotiate a better deal - like something closer to FREE?

http://www.boarddocs.com/nj/jcps/Board.nsf/Public ref: Minutes - Public Hearing on the Budget - March 26, 2012.pdf

Who would provide the routers, repeaters, cabling? Who would do the configuration? How unsecure would you like the wifi to be? Who will maintain the network? Who?s providing the cable line into the buildings? How many schools hav

You are thinking like the candidates that endorsed the NJEA. Or perhaps just not thinking.

Verizon and ATT are among the largest employers in NJ, and Comcast also has a huge presence. All 3 already have near complete wifi coverage across JC. Did anyone from the BOE care to approach them for free wifi for the schools and kids? It would be a marketing win for them and huge benefit to the schools.

And has anyone from the BOE approached other top NJ employers? Goldmans is donating to Newark schools along with Zuckerberg. Why not ask firms like Goldmans who have a major presence in JC, to donate to improving JC schools?

I agree this is not free, and I am in this business for full disclosure. HOWEVER, that huge tax you see on your phone bills called the Federal Universal Service Fund collects about 15% on all your interstate services, and redistributes it to "needy" telephone companies, and also to schools and libraries. I have worked with several telecom providers to get highly subsidized services for schools, and the USF program picks up most of the monthly cost. If the JCPS is not getting this money, shame on them!

Posted on: 2013/11/5 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

VoteForExcellence wrote:
First of all, please vote on November 5th!

Ms. Lester spearheaded WIFI access for every school,

Who would provide the routers, repeaters, cabling? Who would do the configuration? How unsecure would you like the wifi to be? Who will maintain the network? Who?s providing the cable line into the buildings? How many schools have wifi?

No. Free WiFi isn?t that simple. I tried loading your doc from earlier regarding the budgetary meeting but the link failed. I didn?t see if it is just WiFi or internet access altogether. If this is a new implementation, which it seems like, then that cost doesn?t seem to be too high.

Additionally, as someone that actually works in the tech field, it would be a poor idea to trade commercial rights in such a manner. There are items that cross the line in terms of commercialization and it?s always a poor idea.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Well, yeah, money sort of can buy new parents. You setup post-school activities to keep the students active. One kid plays football, another soccer, another draws, another writes, another plays tennis? options. Money allows for options.

Sorry, no, activities do not replace parenting. They replace baby-sitting.

In a fatherless or motherless home, that parent or after-school instructor can certainly lead some guidance creating a positive parental figure. This story has been told numerous times. I simply don?t understand how you can so easily discount it out of hand.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
If you are that obtuse as to believe a chalkboard and chalk is all you need, go back to the 50?s. The world is different.

No it isn't. The Geography is just the same as when I was in school. Math did advance, but high-school barely covers math to the XVIII century anyway. High-school physics goes as far as 1930-s - for the AP-level classes. And so on.

The only thing that changed is technology, - I would have supported adding an "electrical engineering" class, sure. But this is not what are not talking about, are you?

Geography isn?t exactly the same. Last I checked, the USSR no longer controls Poland?

There is vastly more information available now than there was previously. The encyclopedias used can now be online and up to date (monthly fees now) instead of spending a large sum on textbooks that are outdated. However, these new online encyclopedias need internet access and computers.

Programming courses are a high school option. I took several. Then you have the AP courses giving high school students college credits, but they require college textbooks. I don?t know if you recall the price of college textbooks, but a new one was required each year at a price over $100 each.

I?m not sure what Physics you took in high school, but I know that my teacher was in the shuttle program. The education level is not comparison to what was known in the 30?s.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Additionally, it is NEVER a waste of money to spend on a means that makes education more acceptable and easier to take in.

True. Problem is, - waste is determined by the outcome, not by intentions. Investment is something that brings returns. If it doesn't it is a waste (or a hobby, but that is another topic).

The fact that you WANT those things to make education more acceptable, doesn't mean they DO make it so. And, if you buy those things, and the educational results stay the same, than those things WERE a waste.

So what you are saying is that you are unwilling to try anything new or different unless it is proven to work with 100% certainty. Last time I checked, that required testing and implementation. Results are borne from application. Sometimes there are failures. But nobody ever learned anything without trying.

Quote:

borisp wrote:

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
here is no better argument than, ?I was able to do it. Why can?t they?!? This is the perfect argument put out by those that believe every single person on the planet is the exact same, has the same stimuli and acts in the same manner.

I wholly agree with your statement about stimuli. I explain my great results the very same way.
However, I do not offer you "why can't they?" argument.
I offer you "THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T" statement.

I am telling you that they can't do what I did, - not because the issues with the class size, or food, or computers and free wi-fi, - but because they lack stimuli.

And this is not something that you can fix. This is something that only the parents can do.

There is plenty of stimuli around. It?s in Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, video games, etc. They are stimulated. The trick is refocusing that into schoolwork. However, you want the kids to stare at a chalkboard which, I guess, is just like getting updates about how their friends so hate the chalkboard.

One kid wants to write poetry and another wants to write computer programs. You need the options available and that only comes via expense. Nothing ever comes free.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Food and smaller classrooms are proven to increase learning. It is much easier for a teacher to direct a class of 8 than 20.

Proven by what experiment? Care to point me to the place where the learning grew in the last few decades?

Do not get me wrong, - I totally agree that it is much easier for a teacher to direct a class of 8. My job would also be much easier if I was required to produce 40% of what I do now. It would be even more easy if they paid me the same for 20%, or, even better, for 10% of the outcome.

The fact that it would be easy for me doesn't mean that my employer would be wise to reduce my workload.

Here are some links for class size reduction: http://www.classsizematters.org/research-and-links/.

In regards to it being easier, the argument isn?t really about making it ?easier.? It is about enabling the children to reach their full potential. This can only be achieved when the focus is on them. You have a class size of 8 or 10 as opposed to 20 and you are dealing with a better ratio. The likelihood of a bad seed causing havoc decreases.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 18:48
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I going to vote for the candidates who rid the district of illegal students of parents that don't live here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 12:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
I'm on my way to vote for the Candidates for Excellence.

1I Jessica Rosero Daye
3I Micheline Amy
6J Carol Lester
1P Ellen Simon

The old board wasn't making a difference, the schools kept getting worse or at best running in place. The new team is the best hope for getting the schools to do a better job educationally.

Posted on: 2013/11/5 11:46
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2013/11/5 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Well, yeah, money sort of can buy new parents. You setup post-school activities to keep the students active. One kid plays football, another soccer, another draws, another writes, another plays tennis? options. Money allows for options.

Sorry, no, activities do not replace parenting. They replace baby-sitting.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
If you are that obtuse as to believe a chalkboard and chalk is all you need, go back to the 50?s. The world is different.

No it isn't. The Geography is just the same as when I was in school. Math did advance, but high-school barely covers math to the XVIII century anyway. High-school physics goes as far as 1930-s - for the AP-level classes. And so on.

The only thing that changed is technology, - I would have supported adding an "electrical engineering" class, sure. But this is not what are not talking about, are you?

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Additionally, it is NEVER a waste of money to spend on a means that makes education more acceptable and easier to take in.

True. Problem is, - waste is determined by the outcome, not by intentions. Investment is something that brings returns. If it doesn't it is a waste (or a hobby, but that is another topic).

The fact that you WANT those things to make education more acceptable, doesn't mean they DO make it so. And, if you buy those things, and the educational results stay the same, than those things WERE a waste.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
here is no better argument than, ?I was able to do it. Why can?t they?!? This is the perfect argument put out by those that believe every single person on the planet is the exact same, has the same stimuli and acts in the same manner.

I wholly agree with your statement about stimuli. I explain my great results the very same way.
However, I do not offer you "why can't they?" argument.
I offer you "THIS IS WHY THEY CAN'T" statement.

I am telling you that they can't do what I did, - not because the issues with the class size, or food, or computers and free wi-fi, - but because they lack stimuli.

And this is not something that you can fix. This is something that only the parents can do.

Quote:
Pebble wrote:
Food and smaller classrooms are proven to increase learning. It is much easier for a teacher to direct a class of 8 than 20.

Proven by what experiment? Care to point me to the place where the learning grew in the last few decades?

Do not get me wrong, - I totally agree that it is much easier for a teacher to direct a class of 8. My job would also be much easier if I was required to produce 40% of what I do now. It would be even more easy if they paid me the same for 20%, or, even better, for 10% of the outcome.

The fact that it would be easy for me doesn't mean that my employer would be wise to reduce my workload.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
VOTE TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH FOR JERSEY CITY SCHOOL BOARD.

VERDIBELLO 1L
VALENTIN 6I
LYONS 3N
RICHARDSON 1O

Posted on: 2013/11/3 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

VoteForExcellence wrote:

Who would provide the routers, repeaters, cabling? Who would do the configuration? How unsecure would you like the wifi to be? Who will maintain the network? Who?s providing the cable line into the buildings? How many schools have wifi?

Posted on: 2013/11/2 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
If you ignore the fact that the public schools have to deal with poverty, single parents with multiple kids, parents that don?t care, and on and on?

borisp wrote:

Of course I do. Do you know why? Because we are talking FUNDING.

And the "facts" that you mentioned I ignore, - can not be fixed by funding. Unless you propose we BUY them better parents, - an attempt to bring those "facts" in the dialogue is a misdirection on your part.
Quote:

Well, yeah, money sort of can buy new parents. You setup post-school activities to keep the students active. One kid plays football, another soccer, another draws, another writes, another plays tennis? options. Money allows for options. If you limit the funds, you don?t have the money necessary to spend on a program that may only draw about 3 students.

[quote]
Pebble wrote:
How are you talking about salaries? Not a single argument for more spending is based on giving the same people more money. That?s about as absurd a strawman argument as I?ve seen.

borisp wrote:

Really?

Well then it makes it much easier.

All you need to teach is a building, a blackboard and a piece of chalk. Worked fine for me.

You can't tell me that a dry-erase board or any other thing you mentioned is a necessity. It is not. It is a luxury. In other words, it is something that you buy when you have an excess of money that you know not how else to waste. Not something you buy in the time of deficit.

If you are that obtuse as to believe a chalkboard and chalk is all you need, go back to the 50?s. The world is different. Dry erase boards was merely an example. But, it?s possible it is necessary. Chalkboards don?t last forever. The black fades and becomes unusable over time.

Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Kids who come to school hungry cannot learn. Connect the dots.

Why do I need to connect the dots if I went to school myself? In my school in the USSR they did offer us breakfast, but it was so bad that we rarely ate it. You certainly wouldn't have. Didn't stop me from being educated.

Second, schools, kids and breakfasts were not invented yesterday. How come we are still trying to solve this puzzle? I am pretty sure that by now we have tried everything and if there were any educational benefits to be found in the school cafeterias they were found years ago.

Stop hoping that you can find some magical solution in providing better nutrition, or in switching to dry erase from chalk, or in smaller class sizes and all that.

There is no better argument than, ?I was able to do it. Why can?t they?!? This is the perfect argument put out by those that believe every single person on the planet is the exact same, has the same stimuli and acts in the same manner.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

VoteForExcellence wrote:

Posted on: 2013/11/1 23:04
Dos A Cero

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:
SHOCKING: Did you read the Jersey Journal article just published about the thousands donated to our opponents from billionaire, hedge funders Alan Fournier and his war machine, B4K?

Do you really think these corporate, Wall Street barons have made these donations because they want to help Jersey City Public School children? Since when did the billionaire barons who took down the economy start to care about poor and working class families and children?

THIS IS ABOUT our $660 million budget and the 40 schools (prime real estate). They have an agenda to outsource our public school jobs, privatize our education and sell-out our schools to for-profit, private "education firms."

WAKE UP, JERSEY CITY PUBLIC SCHOOL teachers, parents and community!

VOTE TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH FOR VERDIBELLO, VALENTIN, LYONS AND RICHARDSON FOR JERSEY CITY SCHOOL BOARD.

POST AND SHARE!

Billionaire education advocates giving thousands in Jersey City school board race

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_school_board_race.html

From Facebook:
RECENT POSTS
Lorenzo Richardson
SHOCKING: Did you read the Jersey Journal article just published about the thousands donated to our opponents from billionaire, hedge funders Alan Fournier and his war machine, B4K?

Do you really think these corporate, Wall Street barons have made these donations because they want to help Jersey City Public School children? Since when did the billionaire barons who took down the economy start to care about poor and working class families and children?

THIS IS ABOUT our $660 million budget and the 40 schools (prime real estate). They have an agenda to outsource our public school jobs, privatize our education and sell-out our schools to for-profit, private "education firms."

VOTE TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH FOR VERDIBELLO, VALENTIN, LYONS AND RICHARDSON FOR JERSEY CITY SCHOOL BOARD.

POST AND SHARE!

Posted on: 2013/11/1 22:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pamrapo wrote:
Exactly how long has Angel Valentin been on the board? Two terms and six years? If you don't like the results, you'd have to regard him as part of the problem.

I need to issue a correction... Valentin has actually served more than 11 years on the school board, getting on in 2002 by appointment, and then serving 3 full terms after that.

He's also "got religion" and is now blaming the state, claiming it's the state's fault that "The curriculum is a mess. How can you establish and test students? They?re not learning. That?s because we?re not teaching. We have to go back to teaching." JC Independent 10/30/13

I'm glad Mr. Valentin has learned something after 11 years.

But we can't waste any more time with board members who dance to whatever tune is being played by the teachers' union. Elect somebody who will get something done in their first term, not make wild promises about their 5th.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

amc wrote:

So amc thinks these "Wall Street" contributors want to convert the schools to development? Ridiculous! I am pleased that they are making an investment in our city's future.

If I were a big-time corporate person with offices in Jersey City, I would want an excellent public education system so that my employees can live here and send their kids to schools that are paid for by their taxes. That is simply good business to make your place of business attractive to employees!

The best thing we can do for our city after making the streets safe is to assure that our schools provide a good education for all kids--rich, middle class, and poor.

The slate that amc supports seem to be part of the old machine that want to keep things the same. They had their chance and have failed.

Lets see what Daye, Amy, Lester and Simon can do.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 20:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
Amidst all of the silly politics, one thing that is possibly being overlooked is the actual quality of the Fulop-endorsed Candidates For Excellence.

Here is just one of their stories:

Jessica Rosero Daye was born in Jersey City and lost her sight at the age of 5. She and her parents fought to make sure that she received a high-quality education in the Jersey City public schools, attending PS16 and McNair Academic. She went on to earn her Bachelors and then dual Masters degrees in psychological counseling and education (M.Ed.). She is now employed at a non-profit law firm in NYC advocating everyday for the rights of special needs students in the NYC public schools. She has two children, one 6mos, the other attends public school in Jersey City.

Ms. Daye, like her running mates, is a mom that wants the Jersey City schools to be better so her children and all Jersey City children will have the best education available. They want better outcomes across the district for all children.

The BOE will be a stronger BOE under their leadership. That is the real issue here amongst all of the distractions.

I am actively working on this campaign and I encourage everyone to do the same to make sure Ms. Daye and her equally qualified running mates - Micheline Amy, Carol Lester and Ellen Simon - are all elected on November 5th.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in the "anyone but the slate that endorsed the Teacher's Union" boat, as these 4 will just be lackeys for the union and will thus accept mediocrity. Ron Greco is inept and has done nothing to actually further JC's public schools. His slate will do nothing to encourage reforms or better the schools. Anyone but them!

Posted on: 2013/11/1 17:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
1) Marvin Adames - resigned midterm
2) Mack- Ran for higher office within one year after being elected and told will resign
3) Overlooked a $2 million error and never worked to return those dollars to tax payers
4) Excluded other members of the school board and the public when they held a meeting in "confidence" with the State Education Commissioner Cerf
4) Waterman - Resigned now
5) Lester - shared closed session meeting information with lobbyists and special interest groups
6) The board members take Laptops/iPads instead of keeping it in the classrooms

Are Steve Fulop's candidates really working for the children of JC?

Write-in John Hanussak (6K) for ONE year term, if you do NOT like the choices!

Posted on: 2013/11/1 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users

POST AND SHARE!

Billionaire education advocates giving thousands in Jersey City school board race

Posted on: 2013/10/31 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Billionaire education 'reformers' giving thousands in Jersey City school board race

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

New Jersey billionaires who seek to revamp the state?s education system are again pouring money into a Jersey City election, with a Far Hills hedge fund manager donating nearly $10,000 to the four school board candidates backed by Mayor Steve Fulop.

Alan Fournier, who founded education group Better Education for Kids with fellow billionaire David Tepper, has given $9,405 to Board of Education candidates Micheline Amy, Jessica Rosero Daye, Carol Lester and Ellen Simon, who call themselves the ?Candidates for Excellence,? according to campaign finance documents made public today.

Fournier?s wife, Jennifer, also gave $9,405, which is nearly the maximum an individual can give to a committee of four candidates, the documents show.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/31 18:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

As a teacher, I can honestly this is the worst year since I've started. The current curricula is a script, with little room for deviation based on the needs of my students....
I believe Lyons and Valentin will put the focus back on the CHILDREN of Jersey City.

Exactly how long has Angel Valentin been on the board? Two terms and six years? If you don't like the results, you'd have to regard him as part of the problem.

I'd be happy to hear the case why Lyons and Valentin would help - but they haven't been able to make it. One of them cannot even produce coherent sentences.

If you have problems with the curriculum, please remember that the JC school board does not control its curriculum. I would have thought a teacher would know that. The only way to adjust the curriculum is to improve school performance and get full local control back from Trenton. I'd love to hear Mr. Lyons' and Mr. Valentin's plan for that.

I've heard a lot from them over the past few years. Neither one of them seemed focused on that problem.

However, in the heat of this campaign season, they have discovered ONE THING they need to do: endorse the teacher's union! "Usually, unions endorse candidates, not the other way around. But Children First spokeswoman Felicia Palmer said the endorsement shows 'how bold we are.'"

Or maybe it just shows how creative they can be in trying to avoid ethics rules. If the union were to endorse them, they would have to abstain from voting on the next union contract. So they cooked up this "bold" way to game the system.

Maybe you can applaud their "outside the box" thinking. Or maybe you should take this as a sign about how ethically "flexible" they'll be when it comes to considering the interests of taxpayers and schoolchildren and the group they've chosen to endorse.

These guys represent the status quo which has got to go.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 1:03

Re: JC Board of Education Vote This Tuesday
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
YES VOTE..

Those of you who don't like the choices for ONE year school board position, write-in John Hanussak, a parent, an activist and a concerned citizen.

Please VOTE!

Posted on: 2013/10/30 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Fans, critics of Jersey City schools chief to face off in school board race

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

For the fourth election cycle in a row, a Jersey City school board race is coming down to the Fulop folks versus the anti-Fulop folks.

There are nuances at play in this year?s election, the first since Jersey City voters voted overwhelmingly last year to move balloting from April to November: the district?s teachers are awaiting a new contract, several schools are under review by state officials because of consistently poor test scores and new Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles is still only in her second year on the job.

But the political dominance of Mayor Steve Fulop, who has backed every successful Board of Education candidate since 2010, is again front and center.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/30 18:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/4 15:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Why is Carol Lester, an incumbent running for the seperate 1 year term? The election material doesn't say that her existing term has expired, is she not allowed to run for another full term?
Robin.

Robin: It's like there are two elections, three of these candidates ( Daye, Amy & Simon) are running for the three year term and there is also a special election to finish off Marvin Adames' term after he resigned, Carol Lester's term is up now as she has served three years and she decided to run for the one year slot.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VoteForExcellence wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/30 15:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
If I recall, it's the balance of someone else's term...but I'm not sure.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Why is Carol Lester, an incumbent running for the seperate 1 year term? The election material doesn't say that her existing term has expired, is she not allowed to run for another full term?

Robin.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 13:58

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017