Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
49 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 49

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: contractor for Ductless, Mini-Split Air Conditioner/Heat Pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks - will give them a call!

Posted on: 2018/5/18 21:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/16 13:54
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Phone: 201-434-0315
chris@royalheatingandcooling.com

Call Chris Croft and ask him if he can pop over and give you an estimate so you have a starting point. Chris and his dad are great, they did our work.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/5 15:03
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I know that all installations are different and therefore pricing can differ a lot, but I'm wondering if anyone can provide a ballpark quote for a 3 bedroom / ~1300 sq ft ductless AC install? It is a single-floor condo unit.

A range would be fine too (eg $10k-15K) - just want to get an idea if the price we were quoted is fair.

Thanks in advance.

Depends upon the configuration that You want & number of outdoor condensing units it will require.

1300sqft. is not alot, but I would think that you would want indoor delivery to each bedroom & a larger common space under individual control zones.

Also the distance limitations on the lines might make for a tricky & more expensive install [especially in a condo].

I have these systems installed in my 3 floor home for the last 10yrs. & all I can advise is to utilize a Major quality Brand [so that you can obtain replacement computer boards when PSE&G loses a Phase in your area that burns them up] & contract with a qualified installer who can give you optimal unit design advice + do optimal install.

Posted on: 2018/5/17 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I know that all installations are different and therefore pricing can differ a lot, but I'm wondering if anyone can provide a ballpark quote for a 3 bedroom / ~1300 sq ft ductless AC install? It is a single-floor condo unit.

A range would be fine too (eg $10k-15K) - just want to get an idea if the price we were quoted is fair.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2018/5/17 19:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/15 4:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the information thirstyquaker. Doesn't that then require a licensed plumber to do the condensing lines (since you need a permit for it)? It seems like a minor job for them.

Posted on: 2014/7/18 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/25 1:51
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
It is, surprisingly, true. The condensing lines have to go into a drain or sump pit or something. In our case at least, the plumbing inspection went by very quickly, since the inspector seemed to understand the simplicity of it. So it's just a bit more paperwork and cost.

Overall though, I love our split system, it really is quiet and efficient. The outdoor unit is super quiet as well.

Posted on: 2014/7/16 23:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/15 4:12
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I too was looking to install this. I had my AC guy and electrician all lined up and when the electrician went to get the permits, they are telling me that I need a plumbing permit.

They are saying that because there are condensing lines, from the blowers inside the house draining to the outside, that it requires it. Has anyone heard of this before?

Everyone I talk to is surprised about this . . .

Posted on: 2014/7/16 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I had mine installed and want to pass on a few notes for interested people.

1. You need to make sure your electric is in order in advance. Houses with older electric simply won't be able to run it. It will also require its own electric work.

2. Cost for everything, including 4 zones and Mr. Slim 3 ton condenser, including the electric breaker for A/C was under $10k.

3. I love it. Honestly. Exceptionally quiet (both inside and outside), filters make the air clean and windows aren't blocked. Cools very well and separate zones are a fantastic feature. Also serves as backup heat, fan and dehumidifier.

Posted on: 2014/5/13 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stephanie wrote:
We had a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim installed 10 years ago and have no complaints. Bob, from Ultra Air installed it. (973) 450-1141.

Can you tell us a little more? Is it multi zone? What was the cost? I realize this was 10 years ago but still interesting.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 21:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/15 22:05
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
We had a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim installed 10 years ago and have no complaints. Bob, from Ultra Air installed it. (973) 450-1141.

Posted on: 2014/3/15 19:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/3 21:12
Group:
Registered Users
I have been looking to have a mini-split system installed in a row house and was wondering if anyone has gone through this process before. If so, who did you use to install it? And were you happy with them? Also, are you happy with the system in general?

It seems that this type of system is the only possibility for the place since there is nowhere to put ducts or mini ducts for other types of AC systems.

Posted on: 2014/3/6 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV8kBH8X48M

good tips for people seeking a contractor

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/19 6:13
From canada
Group:
Registered Users
TNX for the info.

My son tells me that the gas heat that they have is satisfactory. He is looking for A/C.

That said, if the cost difference is small between an A/C only unit versus a heat pump that works for A/C AND heating, the difference might be worth it for the increased flexibility and possible economy due to being able to heat only required sections of the house?????

Posted on: 2013/6/18 10:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/1 21:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TrentonGirl wrote:
Thanks for the info, folks! Need a contractor myself and didn't know where to turn. However, I do worry that the contractors and suggestions you folks mentioned won't work out. If this is he case, has anyone on here ever used Masters Home Services? I wanna get some real reviews from real people. Air conditioners and heaters are expensive and I want to ensure that I'm getting the best repair person possible.

Anyhoo, any suggestions would be great! Thanks! :D

Any suggestions from anyone? :3

Posted on: 2012/1/1 21:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/1 21:18
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info, folks! Need a contractor myself and didn't know where to turn. :D

Posted on: 2011/12/30 0:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/12 11:58
Group:
Registered Users
Josiered wrote:
Quote:
I can give you an answer but I need to know is it a two story home? Is there a basement or attic - before you can design a system you need to know what you are working with. Let me know.

That's Fair enough.
I said originally that:
Quote:
"What is the best way for me to effectively cool my 100 year old home, I have steam heat, would like to have at least a couple of zones in my 2 level 2000 sq ft home?"
What would you tell them?

To this I will add:
no attic spaces or kneewalls. Retrofitted closed cell foam sprayed in in "Rafter" spaces with Sheetrock directly below (unventilated roof).
Basement has the (steam) boiler. It is semi finished. I have no interest in cooling the basement, the 2000sq ft home is on two levels (above the basement). I would like 2 zones (up and down) but would be happier with 3 (my top level has 3 bedrooms, in a perfect world I would like 1 of the bedrooms to be on its own zone.
My lower level (first floor) has been retrofitted into a very open space. Living, dining and kitchen with limited closet space.
Let me know if I you need you more info.
Best!

Posted on: 2011/11/4 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 3:23
Group:
Registered Users
I can give you an answer but I need to know is it a two story home? Is there a basement or attic - before you can design a system you need to know what you are working with. Let me know.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 21:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/4 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
Late to the conversation, but let me add my $0.2.

Most of these products are okay and will work as advertised, but it is really important that you hire a competent installer and check their references.

The consequences of failing to do so can be significant. I have a client that got duped into letting some shadetree installer handle his hv (spacepak?) install, and it?s a disaster like I?ve never seen before. The installer absolutely butchered this poor guy?s house, and he?s looking at a very expensive do over and lots of other fixes. What people too often seem to forget or otherwise choose to ignore is that there are guidelines and requirements that should be followed to the letter. This stuff isn't that complicated, but its also not that simple. Be really careful out there.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 19:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Josiered,
So far you have only criticized and not offered what in your opinion are viable options for cooling an older home.
If your best friend or beloved family member came to you and said, "What is the best way for me to effectively cool my 100 year old home, I have steam heat, would like to have at least a couple of zones in my 2 level 2000 sq ft home?"
What would you tell them?

RE Unico, I have numerous clients that have been very happy with their UNICO and SpacePak installs.
Having said that, it is a specialized product that is not good in all applications. Even more so than conventional AC and mini-splits, high velocity (Unico or SpacePak) is dependent on quality and professional installers/ contractors.

Looking forward to your advice on my theoretical install.
Best!

Posted on: 2011/11/4 18:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
I've had a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim system for about 10 years now.
It both cools and heats, (I use it a a supplement to my gas heating system) and 3 wall units run off a single compressor.
I clean the wall units every year and have not touched the compressor. The units are great. You don't have cool your entire home. The compressor is practically silent.
I feel my was money well spent. Great investment.
The best part is I never again have to lug and store those window units.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Next step in this conversation - Unico sucks ! Outrageously expensive, up to 6-8 rat holes in every room that are disgusting to look at - these units do not even meet the Federal Energy Commission requirements. They were given a reprieve to keep producing. Their fancy website will tell you that they can just snake these through your walls and that's total b.s. Every wall that was ever built has cleats in them and you're not snaking anything through them. They will have you believe that a contractor can install them in your vintage home without producing a dust molecule. The fact of the matter is they are going to destroy your house and you'll be eating plaster dust for years to come. The system as a whole is a total farce.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
About 4 years ago I installed a Mitsu 'Mr. Slim' in a studio apartment to replace a window unit. Also to act as a dehumidifier when not in A/C mode.

Only problem I had was due to the fact that the unit needed to be cleaned (condensate line got clogged with gunk), which was my own fault. The unit has worked flawlessly since then.

Another option which is superior, but A LOT more expensive is to install a Unico brand high velocity system. Go to Unico.com for details.

I would only go that far if you need to replace your heating system soon as well. The Hi velocity systems are great for both heat and cooling. If you can splurge for a chilled water system, your operating cooling costs will drop while system performance would increase.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 18:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/17 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
They are pretty much garbage. Call me in 5-7 years and we'll see you how feel. If you insist on getting one of these junk boxes, the following closely accords with the % of service calls and unvailable parts issues you're likely to face:

Top:
Daikin

mid table (just below, but still pretty crappy):
Fujitsu, Sanyo Toshiba

Lower end(well below)
Mitsubishi, LG, Samsung

Bottom of the hill(outta sight)
Aschon, Gree (and all the badged units they produce) Crraft, Airwell + millions of others -usually of Chinese origin.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Josiered wrote:
Avoid mini split a/c's at all costs. I called New England HVAC in Hoboken who we dealt with for many many years and was told these units really stink ! They are all Asian hybrids and do not function properly. In 40 yrs. of business all they do is spend their time and your $ on the phone with a rep at a California "think tank" repairing them...not a good idea and we were told to go with a conventional system. They are nothing more than a "ticking time bomb" and then TRY and fine someone to repair them when they go bad. I've dealt with New England for years and consider them to be above "professional". If you want more info call them and they'll give you the low down on these units. Can't hurt to call and ask them and they'll inform you of the pros and cons. Just a suggestion!

I got no skin in this. I don't sell or install them.
Mini Splits have been around in Asia for about 30 years. They are proven and reliable. Use name brands like Fujitsu, Mitsubishi and Sanyo etc, you will be happy.
Of course it must be installed by a reliable contractor.

FYI Toyota also makes an "Asian Hybrid" (Prius) in a different application. industry. It is generally accepted that it has been a great product for something like 7-8 years now. Of course if you called a Mitsubishi or Hyundai dealer they might give you a different opinion.

Also, keep in mind they are only good for the applications they are intended for. If you already have a forced air furnace, they are probably not the best solution. On the other hand, if your home was built before an electric grid, has Steam or hot water heat, and central AC is at best "challenging" if not impossible to install, they can be a wonderful purchase.
Hope you get my points, I do not mean to offend.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Avoid mini split a/c's at all costs. I called New England HVAC in Hoboken who we dealt with for many many years and was told these units really stink ! They are all Asian hybrids and do not function properly. In 40 yrs. of business all they do is spend their time and your $ on the phone with a rep at a California "think tank" repairing them...not a good idea and we were told to go with a conventional system. They are nothing more than a "ticking time bomb" and then TRY and fine someone to repair them when they go bad. I've dealt with New England for years and consider them to be above "professional". If you want more info call them and they'll give you the low down on these units. Can't hurt to call and ask them and they'll inform you of the pros and cons. Just a suggestion!

Posted on: 2011/11/3 2:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/11 7:58
From Jersey City WEST SIDE
Group:
Registered Users
thanks asdf!

Posted on: 2011/11/2 18:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/11 7:58
From Jersey City WEST SIDE
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks JC gurl!

Posted on: 2011/11/2 18:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This company is not licensed or insured to perform work in the State of New Jersey.

Posted on: 2011/10/28 14:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
We had ours installed by Tri State Air, Inc. (Serge Nikolaev) from Brooklyn. There is a link to their info through the "Contractors" link on Fujitsu homepage. They are authorized contractors and distributors of Fujitsu equipment, so all warranties are supported if they sell and do install. Tri State Air phone number is 646-266-0373.

I can't recommend Serge and his crew highly enough. We had a quirky situation/setup. He came up with solutions and they installed it all (including doing a lot of electrical work) in one day. Best experience ever. And we LOVE our AC/Heat Pump/Air Purifier/Dehumidifier. It's the best money we ever spent.

Posted on: 2011/10/27 20:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Rich,

Since you ask, I'll soon be bringing a "combo" product to market that is completely unobtrusive, uses chilled cola loops instead of refrigerant, has a slick lcd display, a built-in vacuum cleaner and "mood" lighting, and remembers your birthday and your favorite song.

It is an entirely new design that uses readily available off-the-shelf parts and recyled poly-plastics. On the cooling side, the product uses a patented technology that harnesses the "latent" energy from your household refrigerator (or other suitable device), which is then used to deliver free, endless cooling, with no added binders or off-gasing. I assure you that there is nothing even close out there.

I am now seeking area residents that would be willing to test the product in return for a steeply discounted purchase option.

If you would like more info feel free to PM me.

Posted on: 2011/10/26 20:03

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017