Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

Re: towing at shoprite
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Does the towing usually happen away from the main parking lot near the stores ? The towing company probably thinks parking in a remote area means that the drivers are going elsewhere when they are just keeping their car out of harms way from getting banged up. I should go down there with the intent of encountering these towing idiots let them lift my car see that they offer the proper choices in retriving the vehicle then bring them and the company that hires them up on charges for getting it all wrong.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 18:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thatgirl wrote:

As far as I am concerned this is a HUGE RIPOFF SCAM for the towing company to profit off of people just trying to shop. I refuse to ever shop at Shop Rite, BJ's, or that Bed and Bath again. Those stores must own the parking lot even though when I spoke to security at bed and bath and BJs they claim they have nothing to do with it.

I agree about the ripoff scam part and not shopping at those stores anymore. But the lot is owned by G&S Investors. See this website:

http://www.gsinvestors.com/2008/01/18/jersey-city-new-jersey/

I called them a couple times to mention these unfair towing practices but it's always a secretary that answers the phone there and nobody with any level of authority calls back. Nevertheless, perhaps if the corporate offices of the three different stores were notified about this, they might be able to have *some* influence on their landlord that it is impacting their sales and inevitably affect the rents being collected (many retail landlords charge rent based on a percentage of monthly sales). Wishful thinking I suppose but it couldn't hurt to try.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
EZ Towing is still at its predatory practices. Just happened to me in my neighborhood in a lot. I got to the car when it was 6" off the ground on their hoist. They demanded $150, cash only, to release it. They are suppose to let it go if you return to the vehicle. I've contacted NJ Consumer affairs, I have pictures to prove it.

Does anyone know if JC has any sort of city consumer agency? I'd love to see these guys busted.

They cannot demand cash only, they have to accept credit cards. City and state laws indicate they must accept credit cards. But I don't know how you would get this law enforced when you are in that immediate situation. I suppose you could call police, but they would likely claim it to be a purely civil matter (whether it truly is or not) and not be able to help you.

I now avoid that whole lot like the plague aside from the extremely rare visit to BedBath.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
EZ Towing is still at its predatory practices. Just happened to me in my neighborhood in a lot. I got to the car when it was 6" off the ground on their hoist. They demanded $150, cash only, to release it. They are suppose to let it go if you return to the vehicle. I've contacted NJ Consumer affairs, I have pictures to prove it.

Does anyone know if JC has any sort of city consumer agency? I'd love to see these guys busted.

Posted on: 2013/8/17 2:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/20 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
They are towing people who never left the lot and ARE shopping there and ARE parked legally in order to make themselves money.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 23:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/20 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
I parked normally in a legitimate parking spot yesterday in the BJ's parking lot. I went into BJ's and was there quite a while. I never left the parking lot. When I came out with my groceries, my car was gone. I thought it had been stolen. There was a man standing outside the BJ's entrance - he said it probably got towed and asked if I had left the lot, I said no.

The man seems to make his living taking people from the BJ's/shop rite/bed and bath parking lot to where they tow cars from there. I was very upset because I did nothing wrong. He said to just pay the fine and get my car back because he said if I argue the people they will not release my car and then have me subpoenaed to appear in court to fight it, in the meantime the towing company who has essentially as far as I am concerned stolen my car will keep the car and try to charge me a towing fee for each day and I will incur time and additional costs fighting with them in court.

The man who drove the van said they have gotten very aggressive with towing cars and if you spend any length of time shopping/leave your car unattended without someone watching it or so much as set any foot off the parking lot for any reason for any length of time, the towing company will snatch your car.

There was a woman who was also at the towing lot to get her car. She said she parked by bed and bath, walked next door to the bank quickly to get some money to shop with, then went into Bed and Bath to shop. When she came out, her car was gone. She was also told there was nothing she could do and they tell you they 'Have you on video" leaving the lot and they 'have you' so that you have to pay.

As far as I am concerned this is a HUGE RIPOFF SCAM for the towing company to profit off of people just trying to shop. I refuse to ever shop at Shop Rite, BJ's, or that Bed and Bath again. Those stores must own the parking lot even though when I spoke to security at bed and bath and BJs they claim they have nothing to do with it.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 23:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/14 15:16
Group:
Registered Users
I had a near-towing experience with them about two years ago. We were shopping at the metro plaza, and my wife wanted to go to the mall for some baby clothes. Now I was aware of the parking policy, but thought nothing of it, since I was still shopping there (at BB&B) and didn't plan to leave. 10 minutes later I came out of BBB and was walking towards shoprite, and saw this towing truck trying to hook up to my car. Needless to say I was furious and had a big argument with him, the video camera guy drove by in car and showed the video footage of my wife leaving the premise, even though I told them I am the driver and I am still shopping here. It was not until I started dialing 911 that they called it off (They were insisting that I needed to pay the fee even when my car was not yet towed). Their practice is definitely highly predatory in my view.. And even if you can prove them wrong (not always easy to do, for example, in my case, I did not buy anything in BB&B), it would still be a huge hassle.

I

Posted on: 2012/4/4 21:41

Fraudulent charges on CC after EZ Towing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/11 20:22
Group:
Registered Users
Just a little alert: After I payed for towing my car with credit card at EZ Towing, I have nine fraudulent credit card charges, that started the next day after towing. Four of those are for Edible Arrangements in Hoboken. Makes me wonder if they serve as some kind of money laundering establishment? The other five charges are for Apple iTunes Store, latest one being 23 days after towing. Total fraudulent charges amount to about $500.

Posted on: 2012/2/11 2:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/16 15:40
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pcmxgti wrote:
Our car was towed today from that same spot today. We did some grocery shopping at BJ's, dropped off said groceries and went to Bed bath and Beyond. The car had dissapeared by the time we were done.

To make a long story short, we ended up paying $152.10 to EZ towing to recover our car.

As far as we understand the rules, we didn't do anything wrong. We never left the premises, and have receipts with timestamps to prove it.

Does anyone here has any experience battling EZ Towing and the Shoprite Plaza management company? We would really appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thank you!

I'd call BJ's and Bed Bath and Beyond to clarify if you actually did anything wrong - ask for a manager and write down his/her name. I think you were in the right - my understanding is that lot is for the use of BJ's, BBB, and ShopRite customers. It's people trying to avoid the paid lot at the mall who are breaking the rules and should be towed. By law, you should only have been towed if one of the businesses complained - not b/c the tow company saw you heading for BBB and thought you were going to the mall (that's called "spotting" and it's illegal).

If you learn (as I think you will) that BJ's and BBB both agree you shouldn't have been towed, you can file a complaint with the Division of Consumer Affairs at www.NJConsumerAffairs.gov or by calling (800) 242-5846 or (973) 504-6200. (It might even be worth calling EZ Towing back to tell them about the documentation you've gathered and that you're filing a complaint - might get you a faster refund.)

Also, read up in this thread and at http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/ ... ory_towing_crackdown.html for lots more info.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

pcmxgti wrote:
Our car was towed today from that same spot today. We did some grocery shopping at BJ's, dropped off said groceries and went to Bed bath and Beyond. The car had dissapeared by the time we were done.

So what are the rules for parking when shopping at the 3 stores BJ's, ShopRite, and BB&B ? I know I have to park only in the Pep Boys lot when shopping there but at least that is a cut & dry situation. So what I am really asking what are the boundry lines for parking at the big 3 for each of the 3 ?

They don't really exist or they change every day and nobody really knows what they are - EZ Towing is constantly altering them to suit their own situation and give themselves the most amount of income. All you can do is park as close as possible to the store you're actually shopping in and hope for the best.

Hence, I just avoid that property entirely and don't shop there because this is all a textbook example of predatory towing and the city choosing to do nothing about it, probably because they are in on it too. I say "probably" because I don't know for sure and don't want to be sued for libel or slander either. I also avoid giving any business to that property - if enough people vote with their pocketbook, then maybe the tenants of that property will be forced to deal with their landlord on this issue and switch towers or at least require EZ Towing to change its practices. But I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, the parking lot there always has a lot of cars in it. Neither the landlords nor tenants give a damn because they probably don't have to, they have enough business.

I never ran into this issue at the property where the A&P is located, or Pathmark either. So they get my business instead (if the same people own that shopping center, well then, so be it, at least EZ Towing doesn't get anything from me).

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pcmxgti wrote:

So what are the rules for parking when shopping at the 3 stores BJ's, ShopRite, and BB&B ? I know I have to park only in the Pep Boys lot when shopping there but at least that is a cut & dry situation. So what I am really asking what are the boundry lines for parking at the big 3 for each of the 3 ?

Posted on: 2012/1/23 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 18:03
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
If you get towed the thing to do is pay with American Express, Visa or MC; the law requires they accept these cards. - If the towing people say not accepted then immediately call the police and file a report and demand your car be released. At that point the tow operator will most likely accept your credit card.

The law requires that all tow operators in NJ accept credit cards. They cannot offer a discount for cash either.

If you paid cash then file a complaint aganst them or take them to court for not accepting your credit card.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pcmxgti wrote:

To make a long story short, we ended up paying $152.10 to EZ towing to recover our car.

As far as we understand the rules, we didn't do anything wrong. We never left the premises, and have receipts with timestamps to prove it.

Does anyone here has any experience battling EZ Towing and the Shoprite Plaza management company? We would really appreciate any advice on the matter.

Thank you!

The towing company basically decided that they were in their right to tow you, because although you shopped at both BJ's and Bed Bath & Beyond, you were still parked in the BJ's part of the lot while you were in Bed Bath & Beyond. Their attitude is that when you leave one stoe on the property to go shop at another, you must move your car over to the part of the lot that is closest to the store you are shopping at. Does this make sense? Not to me, but the towing company of course makes up its own rules in the lot. I generally have voted with my wallet and just don't shop at any of the stores on that property, for all the good it does.

I'm thinking however, if you sued E-Z Towing and brought the time-stamped receipts to small claims court, you might have a good chance at winning your money back in this instance, because you never did leave the property, you just shopped at a different store than where your car was parked. E-Z Towing is just betting the odds in this situation that most people won't want to be bothered with going to court.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 2:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/23 0:45
Group:
Registered Users

Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/1/23 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neanoora wrote:
** The spotters are in a dilapidated Green van. **

I think I have seen spotters also in an older red Jeep.

Spotters are illegal. This is why Monica was busy explaining to me how there are no spotters, there are people cleaning the lot and while they do that, they pay attention to cars on the lot. It might be an interesting experiment to start photographing the spotters and see if they actually are cleaning while taking copious notes.

By the way, according to the "rules" they shouldn't tow anyone sooner than 30 minutes after being parked. This is why they write on the towing "receipt" the time of the call (c) and time of the tow (t).

It is illegal for a spotter to make the call for towing. The manager of the property needs to make the call. There are a lot of fishy things about this. Some class action lawsuit would be in order, this practice needs to stop. I am not sure who all get paid during this, for sure the spotters, the towing company, and who knows if the JC police or someone like that is also involved. Police at least turns a blind eye to the what goes on at Metro Plaza, and how people are taken advantage of. I guess it is a good business idea, but too shady for me to start practicing .

I'm surprised this idea has not expanded into other J.C. lots and who is splitting the proceeds. I remember parking in a lot in Atlantic City walking across the street and coming back to find my car up in the air. The tow truck guy dropped it after I gave him what cash I said I had in my pocket at the time. It amounted to a on the spot payment and there was signage posted not to park there. Have reciepts been given out when money was exchanged ? Also why not park in the crowded lot near Shop Rite a tow truck would have trouble fitting into that area of parked cars.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 6:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
** The spotters are in a dilapidated Green van. **

I think I have seen spotters also in an older red Jeep.

Spotters are illegal. This is why Monica was busy explaining to me how there are no spotters, there are people cleaning the lot and while they do that, they pay attention to cars on the lot. It might be an interesting experiment to start photographing the spotters and see if they actually are cleaning while taking copious notes.

By the way, according to the "rules" they shouldn't tow anyone sooner than 30 minutes after being parked. This is why they write on the towing "receipt" the time of the call (c) and time of the tow (t).

It is illegal for a spotter to make the call for towing. The manager of the property needs to make the call. There are a lot of fishy things about this. Some class action lawsuit would be in order, this practice needs to stop. I am not sure who all get paid during this, for sure the spotters, the towing company, and who knows if the JC police or someone like that is also involved. Police at least turns a blind eye to the what goes on at Metro Plaza, and how people are taken advantage of. I guess it is a good business idea, but too shady for me to start practicing .

Posted on: 2012/1/10 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone tested the spotters ? Perhaps we can put a decoy in there, walk away and see how long it takes them to lift the car then tell them to drop it because you are within the vehicle. And oh yerah the best part have someone duck down inside the car and pop up when they tow it this way you can have the towing company arrested for kidnapping. With all the crap going on in J.C. like the stabbing in the mall parking seems to be the priority.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The spotters are in a dilapidated Green van.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 22:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/14 1:53
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I learned my lesson and won't take a chance again, but I was also legitimately shopping at that plaza so I thought I had some leeway. I wish I had read this thread that I've seen so many times but never clicked onto; maybe then I wouldn't have dared. I also thought I'd share my experience about feeling like someone was watching in the parking lot to tow me.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I love the people who park there, go to the mall FOR ANY REASON, then complain that they were towed. It's a legit tow. You gambled and lost.

Now if you don't leave the lot and they tow you anyway, thats a legit beef. You have a reason to be peeved.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 21:09

Re: Towing at Metro Plaze (BJs, Shoprite, BBB)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/14 1:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just noticed this thread....haven't gone back yet to read all the history, but wanted to pipe in that I got towed this Saturday am within 10 minutes of parking. Had shopping to do at Shop Rite and BBB but wanted to run over to Sears real quick to return something. Would have paid the $3 but it was just easier to park there and wasn't doing any other shopping at mall..totally learned my lesson. Wondering now if I had gone to those stores first and presented receipts, would I still have gotten towed? I do remember that when I initially pulled in there was a car parked next to me with someone in it and I later thought it might have been someone looking for potential offenders. I also wasn't sure if I got towed because it was near the fire hydrant too, but I don't think that would have mattered.
:(

Posted on: 2012/1/9 19:27

Towing at Metro Plaze (BJs, Shoprite, BBB)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I got towed at the parking lot. I am trying to get hold of people to make this right, and as I have spoken with the towing company (E-Z Towing), the business on the lot, and the management company of the lot (G&S Investors), I am getting a full run around. The management company rep for the lot is Monica, at 212-286-3300, is very defensive and nasty - she seems to be defending something that they have trouble with. She claimed that G&S Investors do not hire spotters. They have people on the lot who clean, and pay attention to people who park. I have never seen anyone cleaning the lot, while they are
"spotting" people.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/16 5:44
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in for Flash mob.
It's July 2011 and Danny's Towing still violates Predatory Towing Prevention Act (fined for that before).
Whenever I can I will sabotage their spotters by checking on people going to Newport mall and warning them.This will hit them in the pocket !
Anyone ? Let's finish their illegal practices! They can't do it because they don't have contract with G&S Investors,the owners of the property.They tell you they got call from the menager of the property?BS!

Posted on: 2011/7/16 5:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
This calls for a FlashMob. 10 cars. 6 people per car, dressed like clowns. Park and scatter. We tape it and we mess with the spotters and tow trucks.

I may take an entire week off of work just to supervise this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM

Posted on: 2011/4/12 1:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/15 14:38
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks croft! I spoke to Fred, he's a nice guy. I emailed the property owners today to see where they stand on this. EZ towing claim the towing request was called in by the property owner's employee. I also asked them what was the standard of proof they use to tow Video?, photo?, or just the word of a mysterious representative that cannot be contacted or called.

I'm liking this forum, I found it researching Metro Plaza towing. I'm just shocked at how long this been happening . Talking to EZ towing made me feel like I took crazy pills, Nothing they said makes any kind of sense.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
I watched the white tow truck hook up and tow away a car yesterday morning in like 5 seconds. There was no way that someone called about the car unless it was a spotter. The tow didn't even slow as if to verify it was the correct vehicle - just pulled up, turned, backed up, snatched, and drove off.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 0:23
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

New2JCHeights wrote:
Your car may have been called in to EZ Towing by a "spotter." Keep in mind, using a spotter is one of the illegal tactics that these tow companies use. A spotter "works" for the tow company. He/she watches the parking lot and calls in which cars are "illegally parked." Your car can only be reported to EZ Towing by the owner of the property.
No doubt EZ towing released your car because they know they are currently being investigated. They know you were illegally towed for which they face a substantial fine from the state.
Thank you for reporting your experience. Good luck!

What if no one picked up or claimed their cars, where does EZ Towing store the towed vehicles ? I bet it is stored or parked illegally. EZ Towing is probably banking on the owners of the towed vehicles to just pay up without fighting figuring they can still get away with it. They better come up with a better solution then taking the law into their own hands.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Your car may have been called in to EZ Towing by a "spotter." Keep in mind, using a spotter is one of the illegal tactics that these tow companies use. A spotter "works" for the tow company. He/she watches the parking lot and calls in which cars are "illegally parked." Your car can only be reported to EZ Towing by the owner of the property.

No doubt EZ towing released your car because they know they are currently being investigated. They know you were illegally towed for which they face a substantial fine from the state.
Thank you for reporting your experience. Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/4/11 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I may hang out near parked cars then walk away towards the mall and see if that car gets towed, I think that's what happened to you. EZ: "Opps I meant that car, oh well". If you park your car in the more congested parking area it is less likely to get towed because it will be hard for the the tow truck to get in there with all of the other cars.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
Ask to see Fred, the security guy at Shop Rite and he'll help you with surveillance footage.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:57

(1) 2 3 4 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017