Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 20 »

Re: Several local politicians arrested on corruption charges

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/24 16:46
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
"I did nothing wrong at anytime."

Did nothing wrong?

In the complaint against Beldini (Healy's campaign treasurer), the informant makes it crystal clear to JC Official 4 / Healy that he is offering a total of $30K in exchange for political favors to expedite approval of his fake real estate project. Shaw, Cheatam (love the name), and Beldini take the money (paid in 10K installments) and launder it by dividing it up and giving it to separate ?donors? who then turn around and make individual campaign contributions to Healy's campaign of $2,500 each, i.e. within the legal limit of $2,600 for individual donors.

I can only think that the reason the Feds didn't arrest Healy yet is that they're hoping Beldini, Shaw, Cheatam or one of the other JC officials will flip Healy so they can further strengthen their case against him.

The WSJ links to a copy of the Beldini complaint:
http://online.wsj.com/public/resource ... 23-beldinicheatamshaw.pdf

Especially damning for Healy is item 23:
? 23. On or about April 30, 2009, defendant Beldini met defendant Shaw, defendant Cheatam, JC Official 4 and the CW at a luncheonette in Jersey City. Before defendant Beldini or JC Official 4 arrived, defendant Shaw was informed by the CW that the CW had brought $10,000 in cash that the CW would give to defendant Shaw after the meeting to arrange a contribution to JC Official 4. After defendant Beldini arrived, Beldini was informed by the CW that the CW would be applying for a zone change in approximately two months and to not let such application go to the ?bottom? of the pile, to which defendant Beldini responded that she could say ?one thing? about JC Official 4--JC Official 4 ?remembered? JC Official 4's ?friends,? and JC Official 4's word was ?gold.? Defendant Beldini further was advised that the CW would give defendant Shaw another $10,000 after the meeting and then, in turn, defendant Shaw would do ?business? with defendant Beldini. Defendant Beldini further was advised by the CW that the CW would give another $10,000 after the election. After JC Official 4 arrived, among other things, defendant Cheatam advised JC Official 4 that they would get development matters relating to the CW moving after the election. Shortly thereafter, defendant Cheatam advised JC Official 4 that the CW wanted to be on the ?top? of the ?pile.? JC Official 4 was further told by the CW that the CW: (a) had given $10,000 to defendant Shaw already (a reference to the March 20th payment of money to defendant Shaw); (b) would give another $10,000 to defendant Shaw that day to be passed on to JC Official 4's election fund; and (c) would give another $10,000 after the election, to which, JC Official 4 responded, among other things, that hopefully ?we? could work ?together? and that this would be ?mutually beneficial.? After defendant Beldini and JC Official 4 left, while outside the luncheonette, defendant Shaw told the CW that ?everybody? (to include defendant Beldini and JC Official 4) was as ?happy as hell.? Thereafter, defendant Shaw accepted $10,000 in cash from the CW to structure as political contributions to JC Official 4 as facilitated by defendant Beldini.?

Posted on: 2009/7/25 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Can't wait to see him go down.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Where are all the healy supporters now?? JClist was rampant with them when the election was going on.... now not so much eh? Do you think Healy sits down at night with his beef (that was a typo but thats about right too) and beer and reads JClist and maybe weeps a little?

Posted on: 2009/7/24 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Oh this is the best news -

http://www.1010wins.com/Healy-Is--JC-Official-4-/4870529

denies any wrong doing... pssshhhh yea okay

Posted on: 2009/7/24 23:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users

This is way bigger than nidia lopez and eclipses the reach of local politics. Healy nor any other local politician can control this tsunami. Dont even think any State politician can. This is just too huge to be swept under the rug.

Added to that the feds will not let this go easily or let the big fish involved walk free, they would lose too much. Any politician that publicly defends the accused will look guilty themselves, meaning they will go nowhere near any of these guys.

In politics, when the feds have stuff on you that is made public, you have no friends and are considered a cancer, even your friends just want you to disappear.

No guarantee that what i am suggesting will work but it sure beats sitting around and hoping a recall will be successful 10 months from now.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks JCIndependent-

ABC 6pm news also just identified Healy as JC Official 4 and said that he is under investigation. They also said that he had acknowledged that he is under investigation.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Good for you for name dropping that you've got a personal relationship with Zimmer. Must mean your opinion is more objective, or at least more valuable.

Nice, make disclosure a no win situation. Damned if you do or don't. As for my opinions value, any opinion must be judged by what you know of the source. I'm no sock puppet. Lot's of people here know my name, (What makes this different from most online "communities" is that it's a physical community also and many of us know each other offline as well) and there's nearly 2000 posts over 5 years to appraise my judgment and honesty by. It's worth exactly that, as all opinions, online or not, should be.

You, with 27 posts who joined yesterday, have no gravitas around here, so likely can't understand what the hell I'm talking about.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 21:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/19 20:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote from Jimmy:
So now all of those ridiculous Council votes on abatements and extending abatements are easier to understand. This small batch of evidence of their wrongdoing is bad enough but imagine the amount of influence they have sold over the years.

YES!! and even more than that they CHANGED ZONING LAWS for developers. It drives me crazy when i think of the Power House Arts District and how corrupt everything was during a crucial time for this district. this battle was lost because Healy allowed members of the board to vote with EXPIRED TERMS!!! How did they get away with this? all the zoning laws they changed since Healy took office should be revisited and possibly revearsed.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
well, i always thought that healy is the supreme leader. he has pull on the tax board with a lot of other agencies whose decisions can in fact make your life quite intolerable. so...

i see your point. what you are suggesting is one of the many forms community activism can take. my point is that while worthwhile, it may not work.

Quote:
Do you think politicians up for election are likely to defend anyone who could taint them?[

answer - yes. because, you never know who will be your next bff. and if the dead silence from city hall re the nidia lopez-scandal fails to convince you that there is the "great wall of machine politics silence", what will?

Quote:
What happened to Doria, who only had his office and home searched and items taken but was not arrested, should be a cue.

not quite. there is a slight difference between the ethical standards of the former head of goldie sex, who coincidentally also was a senator and is now the governor, vs. your average machine manufactured jersey city political rubber stamp.

Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Iran? And who would be the supreme leader controlling the armed force which basically threaten people's lives and beat them in the streets, in this scenario?

This is a critical election year. Key races tight. The media scrutiny mindboggling. Do you think politicians up for election are likely to defend anyone who could taint them? What happened to Doria, who only had his office and home searched and items taken but was not arrested, should be a cue.

If what I am suggesting is not community activism and appropriate for this situation, I am not sure what is.

But, I am only one person.

we both agree on the principle, but not on the details. part of democracy is to agree to disagree ....

Posted on: 2009/7/24 21:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Healy admits it. He's Official 4.

"I did nothing wrong at anytime."

Read the statement here.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
I share your sentiments, but take the announcement about Zimmer and Mason with a grain of salt, in that it was an annoucnement made by Zimmer (or rather, her husband). When/if the FBI corroborates it, I'll give it more credence. But reading the nj.com article about it, it came across as pretty neatly-wrapped and self-serving to me.

I would like to believe it all went down exactly as stated, but certain details of it (involving conversations between the candidate and her husband) there would be no way to verify.

Maybe I'm just an equal-opportunity cynic.

And how would you have put it if you had lost an election to this guy you knew was dirty and he's arrested less than a month in office? Believe what you will, but I've known Dawn and Stan for long before she ran for office. There's no revelations coming, she's an open book.

Just compare hers and Cammarano's ELEC reports. His contributions are all "players", many out of towners, Hoboken 411 described hers: "Runner-up for highest personal investment in the race, Zimmer has contributed $45K so far. The bulk of the remainder appears to come from friends, family, neighbors, and local supporters." http://hoboken411.com/archives/18031

Not sure how I would have put it, but I probably would have let the investigation continue and provide the FBI with as much information as possible, before offering statements to the media.

I get it, and I don't begrudge her making a smart chess move to add to the pressure facing Cammarano. It just reads as pretty gosh-golly. And nobody likes a martyr.

I hope Cammarano is run out of there on a rail, and I hope Dawn gets her chance to run Hoboken. I just found the press op a little tacky and obvious.

Good for you for name dropping that you've got a personal relationship with Zimmer. Must mean your opinion is more objective, or at least more valuable.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:58

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/29 19:49
Group:
Registered Users
So now all of those ridiculous Council votes on abatements and extending abatements are easier to understand. This small batch of evidence of their wrongdoing is bad enough but imagine the amount of influence they have sold over the years.

Of course, Healy should resign. If he possessed 1/10 of the ethical behavior and change oriented desire he ran on he would but he possesses nothing of the sort.

Just for fun I called City Hall and asked to speak with JC Official #4 and they were stumped for a bit and then transferred me to Councilmember Flood's office who were also stumped. I admit it was juvenile but fun.

I think this is the most hopeful turn of events in recent local history. I do hope all of us who have watched in disgust and shock over the years can organize and make something good happen. I also hope Levin and Fulop can provide some direction in making that good happen.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
I share your sentiments, but take the announcement about Zimmer and Mason with a grain of salt, in that it was an annoucnement made by Zimmer (or rather, her husband). When/if the FBI corroborates it, I'll give it more credence. But reading the nj.com article about it, it came across as pretty neatly-wrapped and self-serving to me.

I would like to believe it all went down exactly as stated, but certain details of it (involving conversations between the candidate and her husband) there would be no way to verify.

And how would you have put it if you had lost an election to this guy you knew was dirty and he's arrested less than a month in office? Believe what you will, but I've known Dawn and Stan for long before she ran for office. There's no revelations coming, she's an open book.

Just compare hers and Cammarano's ELEC reports. His contributions are all "players", many out of towners, Hoboken 411 described hers: "Runner-up for highest personal investment in the race, Zimmer has contributed $45K so far. The bulk of the remainder appears to come from friends, family, neighbors, and local supporters." http://hoboken411.com/archives/18031

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Here's what's making me really depressed right now.

Apparently, the Cooperating Witness approached others who have not been arrested who didn't take the bait. In Hoboken, both Dawn Zimmer and Beth Mason confirmed that they were approached. They told him that they could not agree to give him special treatment and that he would be treated fairly like anyone else.

They lose. Cammamaro wins (barely, the runoff was a squeaker), and now he has the gall to say that he wont step down because he can effectively run the city.

Perhaps he will be cleared, simply because he may be able to show that his conduct wasn't a violation of the Federal extortion statute. But in any event, Hoboken is now stuck with a mayor who said "yes" while two good women who said "no" are left on the sidelines.

I won't say that Mason or Zimmer are perfect politicians, but at least they had the decency not to get involved in conduct which, whether illegal or not, is disgusting and the root of Hudson County's problems.

And Hoboken just missed electing one of them, and the corruption scandal is magnified because it's an incumbent mayor rather than an also-ran who is arrested. It's a real shame.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/3 2:39
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is unnamed official in corruption complaint, report says
by The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk
Friday July 24, 2009, 2:51 PM

JERSEY CITY -- Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is one of the unidentified officials mentioned in a federal complaint against Deputy Mayor Leona Beldini, who was among 44 people arrested Thursday in a sweeping federal corruption and money laundering probe, according to PolitickerNJ.com.

The complaint calls him "JC Official 4," and characterizes him as a high-ranking Jersey City official. PolitickerNJ.com, citing, sources close to Healy confirmed he was the unnamed officials.

Beldini was the treasurer of Healy's re-election campaign and the complaint accuses Beldini of funneling cash to campaigns in exchange for help to the key cooperating witness, Solomon Dwek's, real estate projects.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... mayor_jerramiah_he_2.html

Posted on: 2009/7/24 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Iran? And who would be the supreme leader controlling the armed force which basically threaten people's lives and beat them in the streets, in this scenario?

This is a critical election year. Key races tight. The media scrutiny mindboggling. Do you think politicians up for election are likely to defend anyone who could taint them? What happened to Doria, who only had his office and home searched and items taken but was not arrested, should be a cue.

If what I am suggesting is not community activism and appropriate for this situation, I am not sure what is.

But, I am only one person.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
does not seem to be working in iran ....

seriously, i have yet to see a pol resign because the voters want it. having a couple of hundred demonstrating outside city hall for a couple of days gets great news coverage probably for a few hours (if they are lucky). soon the demonstrators are forgotten, but the pols remain.

this is the beauty of elected office - once you are in, you have to really screw up and p*ss off the electorate. and as cammarano said .... he won't lose even when he is indicted, since he has 80-85% of a core voting block "blocked-off".

no, neither recall nor demonstrations may be the solution, but community activism is.

Quote:

shakatah wrote:
No need for a recall. That process is too lengthy.

When the time is right, go the city hall en masse and demand resignations. If voters' wishes are not honored, we make it impossible for them to do their job until they realize they must step down. Voter pressure, along with media and political pressure from State level officials will be enough to force the corrupt to step down.

You guys keep forgetting that November 4, 2009 is a state-level election.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Quote:

Sounds good but I can guarantee you that there is going to be a good chunk of old-timers who are going to call this a witch-hunt and stand by their "home-town boys" now more than ever.

It makes no sense, but that's what will happen.

Agreed, just look at Marion Barry in Washington DC.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 12:10 PM
Subject: Yesterday's Arrests in Hudson County

This system must change.
Councilman Steven Fulop

"Hell, yes! I want my share! But first, I will make a difference by swimming with the firefighters."
(I already had enough of the change we can believe in. Can't you see it's just a change of guards, dictated from above? How old are you people? When did ever the NJ voters choose right?)

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
30,657 people voted though, right? Found that in an old thread can anyone confirm?

So we need 7,665 signatures for a recall election.

Ha ha ha ha, they got you just like they fooled Fulop!! It works every time!

It's REGISTERED VOTERS, not who actually voted, which means if only 50% of registrants voted (that's what I recall), you need to get signatures of 50% of all people who actually voted. Pretty steep hill. In California it takes 12% of the number of votes cast in the previous elections.

I'll admit I read JCmom's posted article wrong.
How did you lump Fulop in my mistake?

Last year when Fulop tried to get the referendum on the ballot regarding dual office holding, he submitted petitions with signatures of 10% of the number who voted in the previous election, not 10% of the number of registered voters as of the date of the previous election. Here's a news story about it. That's why it didn't get on the ballot.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sounds good but I can guarantee you that there is going to be a good chunk of old-timers who are going to call this a witch-hunt and stand by their "home-town boys" now more than ever.

It makes no sense, but that's what will happen.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
No need for a recall. That process is too lengthy.

When the time is right, go the city hall en masse and demand resignations. If voters' wishes are not honored, we make it impossible for them to do their job until they realize they must step down. Voter pressure, along with media and political pressure from State level officials will be enough to force the corrupt to step down.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 18:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Chilltownmom wrote:
I don't believe that M. Vega took that tiny check as a bribe...why would he ruin his career or shot at being mayor for that?

A) That's only what he was caught taking, remember this was all from one guy.

B) They never think their gonna get caught.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
That's probably only what he got caught taking!

Quote:

JCase wrote:
Quote:
Chilltownmom wrote:
I don't believe that M. Vega took that tiny check as a bribe...why would he ruin his career or shot at being mayor for that?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Chilltownmom wrote:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Good coverage on WNYC this morning. Check out these two separate items: http://blogs.wnyc.org/news/2009/07/23 ... rrest-in-nj/#comment-3963

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:
30,657 people voted though, right? Found that in an old thread can anyone confirm?

It's REGISTERED VOTERS, not who actually voted, which means if only 50% of registrants voted (that's what I recall), you need to get signatures of 50% of all people who actually voted. Pretty steep hill. In California it takes 12% of the number of votes cast in the previous elections.

I'll admit I read JCmom's posted article wrong.
How did you lump Fulop in my mistake?

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Page 7 - Vickie Hyman $2,000 and Mark Hyman $2,000. Wife and relative of Steve Hyman, who is trying to develop the 6th Street Embankment..... follow the money!

Here's the rub with all this.... what the Hyman's did is not illegal. That's why pay-to-play was shot down by these crooks. Unfortunately, campaign contributions to candidates by entities doing business with the city is ok. Ethically questionable, no doubt, but not illegal in NJ.

It is this fact that people like Vega will be counting on when formulating their defense.

Cammarano is a different case since he opened his mouth in a much more self-incriminating way.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Great Stuff...

Though with the work the FBI is doing and the trail continues, along with people start talking, I'd have to believe, other members of the City Council and Healy will shake out too and we can force them to resign.

Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
these are the relevant parts of the nj statues...

finding information on recall election or elections in nj is not easy ...

1. recall election
--------------------------
the relevant law is the Uniform Recall Election Law, Chapter 105, Laws of 1995 (N.J.S.A. 19-:27A-1 et seq.), and the law can be accessed
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bills/A4000/3621_I1.HTM

the relevant section, 19:27A-5. Recall petition; signatures required, states
"5. A recall petition demanding that an election be held for the purpose of deciding whether an elected official shall be recalled from office shall be signed by a number of registered voters of the jurisdiction of the official sought to be recalled equal to at least 25% of the persons registered to vote in that jurisdiction on the date of the general election preceding the date on which the sponsors of the petition file a notice of intention pursuant to section 6 of this act. A recall petition shall be filed with the appropriate recall election official. No recall petition shall demand the holding of an election to recall more than one elected official. "

2. the number of registered voters in jc
---------------------------------------------------
in 2008, there were 139,158 registered voters in jc.
http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elec ... owns_GEN2008_20081117.pdf

so in 160 days, 25% of the registered voters in jersey city have to sign the petition to recall. So, one needs to have roughly 35,000+ signatures.

let's do the math ... 35,000/160 = 219 signatures per day for 160 days ... and considering a 10% spillage, cheating, and all other contingencies, one would need only 240 signatures a day.

what can i say?

3. additional information
--------------------------------
there is information at
http://www.joemustgo.net/Assets/elect ... truction-sheet-123108.pdf

the memo states "SIGNATURE COLLECTION EFFORT (19:27A-5) Upon approval of the petition, the recall committee and registered voters in the jurisdiction of the recall election may solicit signatures of other registered voters in that jurisdiction. Specific requirements on the method of soliciting signatures are listed in the law. The recall effort is limited to 320 days for a Governor or 160 days for other elected officials from the date of the notice of intention. The petition requires the signatures of 25 % of the registered voters in the jurisdiction, as of the last general election."

---- happy recalling.

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Actually, it's 25% of registered voters as of the last election, which is in the vicinity of 115,000. (Ianmac will correct me if I'm off, hopefully) So you'd need somewhere around 28,000 to 29,000 signatures.

The other issue is timing. A recall can't begin until the official is 50 days away from completing the first year of their current term. That doesn't happen until May 11 of next year.

I don't think the number of signatures needed is prohibitive. This isn't an indirect issue that needs explaining like pay to play. This is direct. The mayor and his team are on the take. People get that. If you put a little money behind the effort and do it professionally, it is imminently achievable. It just can't happen for another 10 months.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

PBW wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/24 17:25

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 20 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017