Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Tree fencing/edging
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
There's an ironworks place on Coles St., but they're pretty steep. Each fence around the tree is $600

Posted on: 2009/9/25 22:33

Tree fencing/edging

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 19:58
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know where I can find the wrought iron tree fence, or edging, that everyone in the neighborhood seems to have?

Posted on: 2009/9/25 18:01

Re: Sidewalk Tree Bed Fencing ideas
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 8:40
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DCofJC wrote:
I have one of those city trees that they planted and I really want to put a nice sturdy fence around it to discourage people throwing trash and dog poop in it. I know it won't prevent it, but i think it will discourage it, and it will look nicer. I can put some plants in there as well. Does anyone know where I can get these fences? I don't want to pay a high price to have something fancy from an artist or get ripped of at 14th street, no thanks. Just something simple. I have seen some good looped iron looking ones near the corner on 5th near erie.

The hardware stores will sell something worthwhile - you'll still end up cleaning it up from time to time but it'll look better when it's looked tended to. People (some people) tend to be more respectful. When you do plant in it or weed from it though, where gloves, cause you'll never stop dogowners from letting the dogs pee on it.

Get Hardy plants!

Posted on: 2009/5/19 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Lowes and Home Depot sell garden fencing etc. Unfortunately you will have major problems keeping litter out of it. People LOVE to litter around here.

Maybe that has something to do with the fact that the city keeps taking away trash cans.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Lowes and Home Depot sell garden fencing etc. Unfortunately you will have major problems keeping litter out of it. People LOVE to litter around here.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 15:12

Sidewalk Tree Bed Fencing ideas
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
I have one of those city trees that they planted and I really want to put a nice sturdy fence around it to discourage people throwing trash and dog poop in it. I know it won't prevent it, but i think it will discourage it, and it will look nicer. I can put some plants in there as well. Does anyone know where I can get these fences? I don't want to pay a high price to have something fancy from an artist or get ripped of at 14th street, no thanks. Just something simple. I have seen some good looped iron looking ones near the corner on 5th near erie.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 15:02

watering the new trees...

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/20 23:59
Group:
Registered Users
Fletch, et al -

my name is Dan Stratemeier. I am on the board of the Harsimus Cove Association and worked with the city (Fulop and others) to have the trees planted along Jersey Ave. The redevelopment plan also includes the repaving of Jersey from Newark to the park.

to answer your question on watering the trees, YES PLEASE WATER THE TREES WHEN THEY NEED TO BE WATER. I plan on watering the trees around 4th Street and will be asking C Town and other businesses to water the trees planted near them. If residents like you and I take the initiative these trees will survive and thrive.

thanks
dan

Posted on: 2009/4/15 1:18

Re: New Trees Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

harscoveguy wrote:
i'm just learned the owner of Avanti Realty is on the board of the downtown special improvement district. The key word here is IMPROVEMENT. and then he refuses to plant a tree in front o fhis business?? Juat another case of do as i say, not as i do. personally, i ask why is he on that board? i want to see improvemnt!!!

Quote:

harscoveguy wrote:
I have to commend Rick at Avanti and George at Bouquets and Baskets for putting up with all the flack these past few days. thank god there are some level heads on here (in the neighborhood and at Mr. Fulop's office) - boycotting a business over this is stupid and i regret my earlier remarks too!

Flip-flop much?

Not to beat an old horse, but the trees at Newark and Jersey were not to my knowledge identified as trees that were going to be cut - AND THEN REPLANTED WITH OTHER TREES. I think I've said it before. It's a waste of taxpayer dollars.

And the city cut down a healthy tree which they planted last year in front of my building with another tree. It's a waste of taxpayer dollars.

I'm all about redevelopment and cutting trees when necessary and replanting, but this city needs to learn how to do some planning.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 23:27
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/13 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
I dont think I have ever seen such a reaction to an issue as about trees in the neighborhood - being cut down at the corner of Jersey Ave and Newark, or not getting planted in front of businesses.

Steve Fulop's office has been working on this diligently for the past several days. The amount of misinformation and rumor going around is nuts.

Avanti Realty and Bouquets and Baskets were concerned about pet owners who dont clean up after their dogs and the nastiness and smell that leaves behind. cant say i blame them - i'm always cleaning up around the trees in front of my house. and hosing them down. sAlso, in the past trees have been vandalized and end up dying. so it seems the issue is more about irresponsible pet owners and vandalism to the trees than about trees pre se..

They are also concerned, based on the past (they have been in this neighborhood a very long time), that people wont take care of their trees and they end up dying and looking worse than if there hadnt been trees at all.

The trees will get planted, thanks to Steve Fulop and the local shops getting together and working out their concerns.

Let's show these guys that we appreciate their getting with the tree progam.

and we all should do our best to take care of all the trees in our neighborhood. Newly planted trees only need to be watered the first few months they are planted.

If you are a dog owner, as I am, please clean up after your pets and try not to bring them to the same spot every day. This will make a huge difference during those hot dry summer periods.

I have to commend Rick at Avanti and George at Bouquets and Baskets for putting up with all the flack these past few days. thank god there are some level heads on here (in the neighborhood and at Mr. Fulop's office) - boycotting a business over this is stupid and i regret my earlier remarks too!

There should have been more dialog among everyone concerned in the beginning, myself included. I just learned the hard way how badly, by acting on rumors and not the facts, we can disrupt the good that is being done in our neighborhood.

The SID's weekly monthly meeting is next Tuesday. If you want to voice your support for the trees and streetscape programs, I'm sure they would appreciate hearing it. The SID has done some great things for downtown and they need to know we appreciate there efforts.

The SID board is very concerned that the mtg will get out of hand, so please pleaseplease be respecful of differing opinioins if you do show up. It's an open mtg and anyone may attend.

If you want more information, go to www.jcdowntown.org.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 20:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
by the way, the newark ave redevlopment plan has been in the works for years. there were several public hearings last year where anyone could have weighed in on the pros and cons of the plan. if you didnt want the trees cut down on that corner you should have gone to the mtgs. if more people had shown up, we'd still have those trees

Posted on: 2009/4/10 14:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i'm just learned the owner of Avanti Realty is on the board of the downtown special improvement district. The key word here is IMPROVEMENT. and then he refuses to plant a tree in front o fhis business?? Juat another case of do as i say, not as i do. personally, i ask why is he on that board? i want to see improvemnt!!!

Posted on: 2009/4/10 14:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dont blame the businesses for cutting the trees down in Mercado Park - the city did it. It's part of the city's redevelopment plan for newark avenue.

Nobody walked through that corner anyway because there was so much bird shit and we couldnt get the city to clean it up. maybe your collections are down due the recession we're in????

Posted on: 2009/4/10 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Please let them know that we, the RESIDENTS of the neighborhood, want the trees. I personally am going to boycott both businesses. and tell them so. If they understand that this may affect their revenues, perhaps they will reconsider. Incidentally - these particular trees are being provided FREE by the city.

-- are YOU serious? in this economy?

you are going to trash local business b/c they didn't endorse a tree pit?

where's the outcry about those f'ers who cut down all those tress on the corner of jersey and newark. do YOU know what that's done to foot traffic and my change collection? i say boycott those biz too.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 5:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/5 2:58
Group:
Registered Users
My check was cashed in October 07'
We just got our tree yesterday! Yah! So happy to have it even though it took forever...
(I was told that their records showed we 'd already received it, that's why it took so long. Maybe their is a mix up for you too...)

Posted on: 2009/4/10 2:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, please let us know if this is true. I would like to persuade them and all businesses to participate.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

philski2 wrote:

Please let them know that we, the RESIDENTS of the neighborhood, want the trees. I personally am going to boycott both businesses. and tell them so. If they understand that this may affect their revenues, perhaps they will reconsider. Incidentally - these particular trees are being provided FREE by the city.

Terrible if true. I will get my Christmas wreaths somewhere else after I verify this.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 14:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think it's great that the efforts of some of our residents in Hamilton Park and Harsimus Cove have been working with the city to get trees planted in these neighborhoods.

Trees add value to home properties, keep sidewalks and buildings cooler in the summer (trees can reduce air-conditioning costs in the summer by as musch as 20%) and just make the streets look nicer!

BUT, recently learned several business owners are refusing to let the city plant trees by their shops - BOUQUETS & BASKETS and AVANTI REALTORS. This is pathetic - one is a florist and the other is a realtor who makes his living selling properties in the neighborhood!

Both businesses are at the corner of First Street and Jersey Avenue - this intersection looks like a wasteland - all concrete, no trees and is oppressively hot in the summer. The florist is trying to block the planting of 7 trees - on Jersey Ave and on First Street and on the OPPOSITE side of Fiirst Street from his shop! Why does a florist NOT want lanscaping???

They argue the trees will block views of their businesses - this is ridiculous - this is a WALKING neighborhood - the trees won't prevent us from seeing their shops. Don't they get that the trees will make walking to their shop more pleasant??

Posted on: 2009/4/8 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
... DO NOT fertilize until leaves appear next spring?after the tree is established, October is the month to add fertilizer, never in the summer. It?s also a good idea to stake the tree to protect it from winter winds. If you want to put mulch around the base of the tree to minimize weeds, do not make a volcano up the trunk like you see most homeowners do. What that does, is create a vapor barrier against the trunk and this will encourage disease and rot; keep the mulch 6? from the trunk. Prune during the winter when the tree is dormant in order to create good structure.

Enjoy

Great advice especially about vitamin supplements and fertizer.

A five gallon pail of water each week during the summer, especially during rainless weeks, should be fine. During the summer of 1999, hundreds of new plantings didn't survive the extremely dry season that year.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
my check for "Fall Tree Planting 2007" was cashed in January of '08. still no tree.

should I stop holding my breath?
I got my four trees, paid for in 2007, late last fall. I was told that some of the trees being planted now are also from 2007 applications. Call Al Lynch at 201 547-4449 and make sure you are still on the list.

Posted on: 2009/4/3 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
my check for "Fall Tree Planting 2007" was cashed in January of '08. still no tree.

should I stop holding my breath?

Posted on: 2009/4/3 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
For those who are having new trees put on your property, make sure you thoroughly water the root ball before it goes into the ground and if it does not regularly rain over the next month, keep the tree well watered to help establish the root system (the city will not do this for you). DO NOT fertilize until leaves appear next spring?after the tree is established, October is the month to add fertilizer, never in the summer. It?s also a good idea to stake the tree to protect it from winter winds. If you want to put mulch around the base of the tree to minimize weeds, do not make a volcano up the trunk like you see most homeowners do. What that does, is create a vapor barrier against the trunk and this will encourage disease and rot; keep the mulch 6? from the trunk. Prune during the winter when the tree is dormant in order to create good structure.

Enjoy

Posted on: 2009/4/3 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
What a wonderful WASTE OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS!! What am I referring to - we had a new tree planted in front of our building last year. What did the city do today? Took that tree out and planted a new one!!

I'm in the wrong line of work. I should be selling trees to the city because apparently I can be making a lot of money. This must be JC's answer to the stimulus plan. Give money to the landscape workers.

*SIGH*

Posted on: 2009/4/3 0:01
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
"Should I plan on geting a big watering can and water the trees myself or will the city contract to have the trees watered on a regular basis."

YOu should buy some "root stimulator" at home depot and get a hose to water it yourself. The trees should also get fertilizer at least once during the summer season. You should also out some mulch/plant flowers around it to show people that someone cares about those trees. Otherwise they will end up surrounded in dog shit. (Be careful digging around the roots, they are fragile)
I just did all that with mine.

If you can afford it, get some ironwork done around them. People won't be able to slam their car doors against the trees and the dogs won't be able to get too close.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 23:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VoiceOfReason wrote:
I noticed this as well with the trees and if you need help watering, I'm all over it.

On a side note, as I type this, I'm watching sidewalk corners on Brunswick being broken up and leveled out nicely, looking very good.

Let's keep this up!

It's not just to level out the corners, it's because they are installing new sewer drains. They have been doing it all over the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The viability of these "contractor" plantings is iffy. They dig a hole, dump in some peat, drop in the tree and move on. The dozen maples around McNair haven't grown an inch in the 12 years since they were planted, while trees nearby planted later and much smaller have dwarfed them.

I see more watering bags on trees, usually in parks, but not the street trees. But the McNair trees lead me to believe there may be more to it, they haven't died (mostly) but haven't thrived. I think they have no access to the water table, and don't get enough through their cutouts.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 22:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if my landlord will mind paying the water bill if i water them????

Posted on: 2009/4/2 21:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
I see the same at 3rd and Jersey, and am well prepared to do the watering if need be.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:23

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nivekt13 wrote:
i love election cycles.. .things finally get done!

Too true. As I approached work today, the sidewalk construction was accompanied by a massive sign which read "Your Tax Dollars Hard at Work - Mayor Healy"

Whatever it takes!

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
i love election cycles.. .things finally get done!

my guess is you may want to break out the watering truck....

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:10

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/5 20:27
Group:
Registered Users
I noticed this as well with the trees and if you need help watering, I'm all over it.

On a side note, as I type this, I'm watching sidewalk corners on Brunswick being broken up and leveled out nicely, looking very good.

Let's keep this up!

Posted on: 2009/4/2 20:05

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017