Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Fatal 'DWI' cop's partner saw it all
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fatal 'DWI' cop's partner saw it all

Tuesday, February 10, 2009
By CHARLES HACK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The Jersey City cop who allegedly ran down and killed a Manhattan woman early Saturday morning slurred his words after police stopped him, had a bottle of liquor in his car, and tested well above the legal blood alcohol limit, authorities said yesterday.

Martin Abreu, 25, who remained in a Manhattan jail yesterday afternoon, had a blood alcohol level of .124 after the collision that claimed the life of Huang "Marilyn" Feng, 26, of Rector Street in Manhattan, officials said. The legal limit is .08.

Feng's boyfriend, Dennis Loffredo, 26, was also struck by Abreu's Toyota Camry as the couple crossed the West Side Highway at Albany Street at 3:42 a.m. One of Loffredo's legs was shattered in the crash, officials said.

Sources also said yesterday that Abreu's Jersey City police partner was riding in the car with Abreu at the time of the collision. The partner has not been charged with any crimes, they said.

Abreu's car struck the couple as they walked home to Feng's apartment near Battery Park Village after a night of dancing, according to published reports.

When police officers arrived, the intoxicated Abreu, who was still behind the wheel of his 2007 Camry with the engine running, admitted hitting Feng, according to the complaint filed by the District Attorney of the County of New York.

Abreu, a resident of Jersey City, was described in the complaint as having watery eyes, slurred speech, with the smell of alcohol on his breath and a bottle of liquor in the car.

Abreu initially refused to take a blood alcohol test, according to the compliant. When he did, it registered .124.

Abreu was arraigned Saturday night and charged with two counts of aggravated vehicular homicide, two counts of aggravated vehicular assault, two counts of vehicular manslaughter in the second degree, two counts of vehicular assault in the second degree, and two counts of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, the complaint states.

A Jersey City police officer since 2005, Abreu has been suspended without pay, Jersey City police officials said.

Jersey City police spokesman Stan H. Eason refused to provide the name of Abreu's partner, but speaking on behalf of Chief Tom Comey said the matter is still "under active investigation" and the Jersey City Police Department is taking "appropriate steps to view the entire incident."

"This matter is still under investigation and we will respond accordingly to whatever the probe uncovers," Eason said.

Feng, who was declared dead at the scene, was found lying on the West Side Highway.

Abreu, who was being held on $75,000 bail cash or bond yesterday, is due to appear tomorrow in New York criminal court.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 15:55

Re: NYPD: Drunken Jersey City cop mows down and kills young woman, injures man in lower Manhattan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
The incidents will continue to occur because there is an atmosphere of tolerance right up to and including Mayor Healys office. The top is supposed to control the bottom and if this is the example being set, what message does it send to the bottom. Mayor Healy and his council must be replaced by sober leadership before things can change.

Posted on: 2009/2/10 1:44

Re: NYPD: Drunken Jersey City cop mows down and kills young woman, injures man in lower Manhattan

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/30 18:47
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not a regular poster but often lurk. I'm so sick of these stories.

This is so sad. The guy should hang. Cops SHOULD be held to a higher standard. There are just too many stories like this one out there and yes, we should give them more press the the average joe 6 pack who mows down somebody. These are the same ego driven kids that bust YOU when you're .01 above the limit but they drive around with twice the legal amount and kill people. If THEY get stopped with a mere .01 above the limit they get told to "be careful driving home". We've all seen it right? Flash the tin!!

I will be sure to pray for this poor young woman's family and her boyfriend tonight.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Couple thoughts-

First, the reason **generally** that stories like Drew Peterson & the like make the news is because they're man bites dog stories- Not the norm.

And let's face it, it's more interesting than "Joe Blow the truck driver killed his wife". When it's a cop, it's a made-for-TV movie waiting to happen. Nancy Grace and the rest of the ghouls can't get enough.

Second, the mother may be a pig. She certainly lacks decorum & class. But to be perfectly honest, this is what moms do. She's probably a wreck, and while she should be thinking about what she's saying about the victims, she's obviously much more concerned with her son. As would your mothers be, if you have a decent relationship with them and are going to be perfectly fair about it.

Third, she may be telling the truth. Those two could have just jumped into the street- we've all seen it happen, and we've all done it, and it doesn't make them bad people or responsible for what happened- It could have just been an accident- BUT FOR the fact that this tool was driving drunk. Doesn't matter after that- The "other guy" could be completely at fault, but if someone gets killed & you have a load on, you're toast- as you should be.

Fourth and finally, I too have followed the trevails of big "hiring drive" JCPD cops. It does seem that there were alot of problems- who was covering for drug dealers, who had a gang history, obviously now who got involved with a fatal accident.... Alot of this I think has more to do with the demographic (young, male) than it has to do with any sense of entitlement or anything else.

Horrible for everyone involved. Stay out of the friggin' cars. It's NY. I can't imagine a worse place to be driving with a load on.

GWB

Posted on: 2009/2/9 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like the mother is 'a few cents short of a dollar'.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
not again.

There is something seriously wrong with the culture at the JCPD - I can here it now, outstanding Police Officer, devoted to the community, church volunteer, all round great guy blah blah blah, BUT the stress of the job made him drink.
If this is the case WTF did he not quit or be a cop in the first place.

I hope they nail his ass and place him in a cell with a DUI offender that killed which he arrested and sent to prison. I also hope the victim and dead person's family sue his ass for every cent.

It totally sucks and it breaks my heart for JC to be called out in the news...again...for something really bad.

Unfortunately, the issue of cops behaving badly isn't limited to the JCPD. Cops committing crimes makes the news all year round, all over the country (Drew Peterson comes to mind).

Maybe it's the culture and ego of law enforcement, particularly in an urban environment, I dunno. The JCPD just happens to have had some really tragic, awful ones lately.

This is what happens when the bar(No Punn) on the hiring standards are lowered, I mean just look at some of these people, some can barely speak English properly, I guess thats what the city wants??? thats what you get when you lower your standards JC!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 21:31

Re: "My son is a good kid," Abreu's mother said.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Annod wrote:
"The mom even said there was nothing wrong with Abreu's drinking and driving."

=====================================

Heartless mom of N.J. cop charged in DWI death blames couple

BY Joe Kemp, Sergey Kadinsky and Samuel Goldsmith
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:39 AM

The shameless mother of a drunken Jersey City cop who plowed into a young couple - killing a recent law school grad - tried to blame the victims for the crash Sunday.

The mom claimed that future lawyer Marilyn Feng and her boyfriend were crossing West St. against the light when her son, Officer Martin Abreu, 25, struck them.

"It was her fault," said the woman, who identified herself only as the officer's mother.

Cops pointedly refused to say whether the couple had the light or not.

The mom even said there was nothing wrong with Abreu's drinking and driving.

"So my son went out and had a couple of drinks. He deserves to have a good time now and then," she said.

Abreu was driving a Toyota Camry southbound on West St. at 3:40 a.m. Saturday when he hit Feng, 26, and Dennis Loffredo, 26, as they walked home to Battery Park City after a night of tango dancing, police and family members said.

Feng died at the scene. Loffredo is recovering from injuries to his leg and head at St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan.

Abreu was charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI. He was suspended from his job.

None of that mattered to his mom. "My son is a good kid," Abreu's mother said. "He doesn't deserve this."

Loffredo's parents tried to counsel their distraught son as they recalled his relationship with his "lovely" girlfriend.

"They met at a Renaissance festival in the Cloisters. He saw her and invited her to tango," said his mother, Diane Loffredo.

Dennis Loffredo only found out Sunday afternoon that Feng had died.

The injured man lives and works in Stamford, Conn., but came to the city most weekends to see Feng.

Feng was born in Shanghai and immigrated to the U.S. four years ago.

She graduated from New York University Law School and was studying to take the bar exam this summer.

"She was a lovely young woman and very sweet," said Annabelle Rivera of Manhattan, who was visiting Dennis Loffredo at the hospital.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_cr ... cop_charged_in_dwi_d.html

His mommy probably has one of those PBA badges in her windshield. It's indicative of her sense of entitlement from having a cop son. Disgusting person.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 18:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
"someone who is supposed to help enforce this was responsible" I AGREE!!!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 18:01

"My son is a good kid," Abreu's mother said.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
"The mom even said there was nothing wrong with Abreu's drinking and driving."

=====================================

Heartless mom of N.J. cop charged in DWI death blames couple

BY Joe Kemp, Sergey Kadinsky and Samuel Goldsmith
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Monday, February 9th 2009, 11:39 AM

The shameless mother of a drunken Jersey City cop who plowed into a young couple - killing a recent law school grad - tried to blame the victims for the crash Sunday.

The mom claimed that future lawyer Marilyn Feng and her boyfriend were crossing West St. against the light when her son, Officer Martin Abreu, 25, struck them.

"It was her fault," said the woman, who identified herself only as the officer's mother.

Cops pointedly refused to say whether the couple had the light or not.

The mom even said there was nothing wrong with Abreu's drinking and driving.

"So my son went out and had a couple of drinks. He deserves to have a good time now and then," she said.

Abreu was driving a Toyota Camry southbound on West St. at 3:40 a.m. Saturday when he hit Feng, 26, and Dennis Loffredo, 26, as they walked home to Battery Park City after a night of tango dancing, police and family members said.

Feng died at the scene. Loffredo is recovering from injuries to his leg and head at St. Vincent's Hospital Manhattan.

Abreu was charged with vehicular manslaughter and DWI. He was suspended from his job.

None of that mattered to his mom. "My son is a good kid," Abreu's mother said. "He doesn't deserve this."

Loffredo's parents tried to counsel their distraught son as they recalled his relationship with his "lovely" girlfriend.

"They met at a Renaissance festival in the Cloisters. He saw her and invited her to tango," said his mother, Diane Loffredo.

Dennis Loffredo only found out Sunday afternoon that Feng had died.

The injured man lives and works in Stamford, Conn., but came to the city most weekends to see Feng.

Feng was born in Shanghai and immigrated to the U.S. four years ago.

She graduated from New York University Law School and was studying to take the bar exam this summer.

"She was a lovely young woman and very sweet," said Annabelle Rivera of Manhattan, who was visiting Dennis Loffredo at the hospital.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_cr ... cop_charged_in_dwi_d.html

Posted on: 2009/2/9 17:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/30 0:28
From Belmont Ave.
Group:
Registered Users
This is getting a little ridiculous now. How many drunken incidents does JC need?

Posted on: 2009/2/9 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
Martin Abrew would be more appropriate. All disgusting cops/politicians should face a firing squad.

Posted on: 2009/2/9 5:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

by Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal
Sunday February 08, 2009, 12:23 PM

Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey announced this morning that Police Officer Martin Abreu, charged with vehicular manslaughter, has been suspended.

Can we get Comey to state that Abreu is suspended without PAY

If you read the first post on this thread it was clearly stated he was suspended without Pay

Posted on: 2009/2/9 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey announced this morning that Police Officer Martin Abreu, charged with vehicular manslaughter, has been suspended.

Can we get Comey to state that Abreu is suspended without PAY

Posted on: 2009/2/9 2:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey: Department concerned about victims, not JC cop Martin Abreu charged with vehicular manslaughter:

This morning, Jersey City Police Chief Tom Comey released this statement about yesterday's incident involving a Jersey City cop charged with vehicular manslaughter that claimed the life of one person and seriously injured her boyfriend.

"The charges surrounding this incident are most serious and this type of activity will not be tolerated by the JCPD, which led to Mr. Abreu's immediate suspension. While Mr. Abreu was in no way representing our department when this incident occurred, our primary thoughts are with the injured and the woman who perished. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families."

Police say 25-year-old Martin Abreu, a Jersey City resident and cop since 2005, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter and assault and driving while intoxicated in the death of 26-year-old Marilyn Feng.Feng was walking with her boyfriend near Battery Park City early yesterday when Abreu's Toyota Camry slammed into them, police said.Feng was pronounced dead at the scene.

The boyfriend was hospitalized in critical but stable condition with a broken leg.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
not again.

There is something seriously wrong with the culture at the JCPD - I can here it now, outstanding Police Officer, devoted to the community, church volunteer, all round great guy blah blah blah, BUT the stress of the job made him drink.
If this is the case WTF did he not quit or be a cop in the first place.

I hope they nail his ass and place him in a cell with a DUI offender that killed which he arrested and sent to prison. I also hope the victim and dead person's family sue his ass for every cent.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
It amazes me how many people still get into a car and drive after partying and how many people do nothing and say nothing when they see someone who shouldn't be behind the wheel.

And yes, it pisses me off beyond belief that someone who is supposed to help enforce this was responsible. I hope he was alone because if he wasn't his passengers (in my opinion) are just as much to blame. Very sad and so senseless.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
The Daily News has a picture of the victim. Sad.
========================================

Law grad struck and killed by car near Battery Park City; 25-year-old had whole life ahead

BY Matthew Lysiak, Mike Jaccarino and Wil Cruz
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Updated Sunday, February 8th 2009, 9:44 AM

A drunken New Jersey cop plowed into a young couple walking home after a night of dancing in Manhattan - killing a recent law school graduate and injuring her boyfriend, police said Saturday.

Marilyn Feng, 26, who recently finished New York University Law School, and boyfriend Dennis Loffredo, 26, a hedge fund analyst, took tango lessons nearly every weekend, friends said.

After dancing the night away, they were walking back to her apartment near Battery Park City around 3:40 a.m. when the driver of a 2007 Toyota Camry slammed into them.

Feng, who came to the United States from China to study and was about to start a new job, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Loffredo was in critical but stable condition with a broken leg at St. Vincent's Hospital, where family members didn't have the heart to tell him Feng was dead.

"You wouldn't see one without the other," Loffredo's mother, Diane, said of the couple. "I think they were going to get married."

Cops charged the driver, Martin Abreu, 25, of Jersey City, with vehicular manslaughter and assault and driving while intoxicated. He has been a Jersey City cop since 2005 and has been suspended, officials said.

"He's a good cop, and a really good guy," said Robert Reyes, 28, a Jersey City resident. "This is all just a big shock."

Loffredo's mother said the death was senseless and noted that she donates money to Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

"I think next year I'm going to donate even more," she said.

Feng, whose parents live in China, had been studying for the bar exam in July. A former intern with the Manhattan borough president's office, she was eager to launch her career.

"Marilyn was not only a brilliant student, but also a great dancer," said friend Roger An, who added that Feng wanted to practice intellectual property rights. "She loved to tango with Dennis every weekend."

Her roommates said she emigrated from Shanghai four years ago.

"This is terrible," one roommate said. "She was so young."

Loffredo, meanwhile, was knocked unconscious in the crash but was expected to recover.

"We haven't told Dennis yet," his father, Joe Loffredo, said.

"We are all very distraught."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_cr ... killed_by_car_near_b.html

Posted on: 2009/2/8 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
not again.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 14:52

NYPD: Drunken Jersey City cop mows down and kills young woman, injures man in lower Manhattan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
NYPD: Drunken NJ cop mows down women, injures man

Newsday
February 8, 2009

NEW YORK - Police say a drunken off-duty New Jersey police officer mowed down a couple as they crossed a street in lower Manhattan, killing the women and critically injuring her boyfriend.

Police say 25-year-old Martin Abreu, of Jersey City, has been charged with vehicular manslaughter and assault and driving while intoxicated in the death of 26-year-old Marilyn Feng.

Police say Feng was walking with her boyfriend near Battery Park City early Saturday morning when Abreu's Toyota Camry slammed into them.

Feng was pronounced dead at the scene. The boyfriend was hospitalized in critical but stable condition with a broken leg.

Officials say Abreu, a Jersey City police officer since 2005, has been suspended.
=========================
'DRUNK' JERSEY COP KILLS YOUNG WOMAN

New York Post
By JOHN DOYLE and CHRISTINA CARREGA
February 7, 2009

A drunken Jersey City cop plowed his car into a young couple as they crossed a downtown street early today, killing the woman and leaving her friend in intensive care, sources said.

Officer Martin Abreu, 25, from Jersey City, who was off-duty, allegedly mowed down Huang Feng, 26, and her unidentified male friend, also 26, as they walked across West Street, at Albany Street, at about 3:40 a.m.

Feng, who lived nearby, died immediately, cops said.

Her companion was rushed to St. Vincent's Hospital, where he was listed in critical, but stable condition.

Abreu, who was driving a Toyota Camry, was cuffed at the scene and charged with vehicular manslaughter, vehicular assault and DWI, police said.

Abreu, who has been with the Jersey City police since 2005, was suspended without pay.

"The charges surrounding this incident are most serious and this type of activity will not be tolerated by the JCPD," said Chief Tom Comey.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 13:43

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017