Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Graffiti - Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting that good old Alb was ahead of her time - Jersey City under Fulop introduced a legal graffiti art program just like she suggested.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/9/10 18:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/13 18:16
From United States
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Alb sweetie, you're off your rails. 99% of graffiti is not "art" but gang tags or their equivalent.

a) I agree that communities should be ultra-strict about attacking gang-related graffiti.

b) My memory is shot, so I can't give you specific examples, but I think I see a lot of "art type" graffiti in Jersey City that stays in the same place for months or even years without being vandalized. (Don't a couple of the sneaker shops have art graffiti security shutters?) Maybe there would be a way to "curate" art type graffiti, and to, say, work through the Web or an art teacher to pay, say, a P.S. 3 kid $50 to re-art-graffiti a security shutter each month.

Another idea: why not let kids who are willing to obey rules but just want a chance to paint big, outdoor art a chance to sign up to paint an unused billboard or a warehouse wall each month?

Some some graffiti artists would think of that as being selling out, but maybe there are some graffiti artists who really just artists, as opposed to hoodlums, and would rather have legal space than illegal space.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I think the only way to find out whether something like that would work and/or help prevent unwanted graffiti here is to try this and see what happens.

Here's a description of a legal graffiti program in Australia.

Here's a site for a legal graffiti ad mural company in the U.S.

That's right.

Posted on: 2018/9/9 13:06

Re: Please Help Stop The Graffiti Vandal S.U.N
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/26 20:59
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

keep your eyes open and report any vandalism you see to the JCPD East Distict command 201-547-5408.

Well my gates got tagged bad a few weeks ago... but this morning when I got to work the gates are cleaner and shinier than I've ever seen them... apparently the anti-graffiti elves visited me this morning and power washed it all away.

I take it all back

Okay... it's fine now... I take back the take back. I called them and they came right out with the powerwashing truck and made it all good with apologies. Go JCIA!

Mark.

Posted on: 2010/4/21 15:18
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Metropolis wrote:
Quote:

keep your eyes open and report any vandalism you see to the JCPD East Distict command 201-547-5408.

Well my gates got tagged bad a few weeks ago... but this morning when I got to work the gates are cleaner and shinier than I've ever seen them... apparently the anti-graffiti elves visited me this morning and power washed it all away.

I take it all back - I had a small grafitti tag on my bare metal gates and when I got to the store this morning the JCIA had slathered at least a gallon of paint all over it without my knowledge or permission, rather than just power wash it off or use grafitti remover. I don't even want to roll the gate up until some of it is toweled off for fear of gumming up the works. Their new policy is to look at the wall/gate, go buy a can of paint that sort of matches the background and then throw it.

Mark

Posted on: 2010/4/21 14:16
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

Omenilad and ILADOMEN

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/16 20:23
Group:
Registered Users
does anyone know what Omenilad and Iladomen is all about? I don't mean to be an alarmist or anything, but I've been seeing a lot of buildings, lampposts, etc, being plastered with these words from Jersey City to Newark. I've seen it spraypainted on buildings in Newark, and on bridgeposts everywhere, esp in the tunnel on 1&9 heading towards the Holland tunnel. The biggest one I've seen is the painted "Omenilad" on the old Multiplex Cinemas sign that you can see off of 1&9 North before you get onto the Pulaski or 1&9 North local.

I tried looking it up on the internet but found absolutely nothing.

Posted on: 2009/3/24 16:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/12 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
If I painted all that I'd need a nap too.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Speaking of graffiti, anybody know what the heck this says? Shot this a while back, but it still bugs me.

click for a full size image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/2/10 22:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Frank_M, #99, ryanone is correct, "RATH" on the left and "BARE" on the right. Here's another RATH, now gone: in the spirit of picasso?.jpg

Posted on: 2009/2/10 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/9 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
The graffiti at 161 Newark Ave (Barrow St. side) is getting out of hand! Maybe 6 months prior, that whole wall was redone and looked clean. NOW look at it...disgusting. I called the JCIA- graffiti extension and reported it and they said they are not sure when they can get to it because there is so much on their plate right now. Why can't the business/landlord take care of this. Why don't people step up and paint over graffiti immediately, not wait a month or 2 or 8 so that one tag doesnt breed more. People who tag businesses and homes should be delt with harshly. If I had my way, if you are caught tagging/vandalizing someones property then you should get your hand broken..that would probably make anyone think twice about doing it again!

Posted on: 2009/2/9 14:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
thank you. some real heads that can graf and read it. ryanone and devbeep; salute.

and here's to hiphop:

http://www.three21media.com/ditos/ditos- full.zip

mixed by: rik cordero/reason/onpoynt

enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 18:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Rath (fly id) and Bare (itd)

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/11/12 18:52

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/1 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
i believe the first piece on the left is 'RATH' and the second piece is 'BARE'...

Posted on: 2008/11/12 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of graffiti, anybody know what the heck this says? Shot this a while back, but it still bugs me.

click for a full size image
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/11/12 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/30 2:06
Group:
Registered Users
I think a legal wall will help. Cameras will not. The artists needs to be caught in the act and most wear hoodies or bandanas to cover their faces. The more legal walls, the less illegal graff there will do. They have legal spots in Boston and New York.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 240 Newark Avenue
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Well my gates got tagged bad a few weeks ago... but this morning when I got to work the gates are cleaner and shinier than I've ever seen them... apparently the anti-graffiti elves visited me this morning and power washed it all away. I filed a police report at the time but never called to have it removed. I don't know if they use the police reports or just drive up and down the streets looking for graffiti, but either way, I'm happy. :) It must have been around 9:30... I got here at 9:45 and the water was still dripping off the gates - if anyone saw who it was that cleaned it up, let me know.

Mark.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 15:01
www.JerseyCityMusic.com
-----------------

"Rez" griffiti

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/20 3:22
Group:
Registered Users
Walking up and down West Side Ave. you'll see the word "Rez" graffitied on the doors and signs. I assume it's some type of gang, but can anyone tell me for sure?

Posted on: 2008/11/8 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/13 18:09
Group:
Registered Users
One way to eliminate some of this vandalism is to have some of the amazing artists in this city do some murals.. like on Chris Columbus Dr. This deters the "tagging" and is great to look at. There were always kids tagging on the gates at the gas station at 4th St/ Newark Ave. We were sick of looking at it. Every year at the 4th St Art & Music Festival the Agitators paint a mural. Here's one..

http://www.agitatorscollective.com/PHOTOS/ac_unicorn/index.php

They also did the horseshoes and the monkey astronaut. Love it! Could also contact ProArts or Cultural Affairs??

Posted on: 2008/11/7 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/13 17:44
From Hamilton Park(ish)
Group:
Banned
Quote:

emdot wrote:
I wonder what they are expressing in their art there. Interesting and annoying.

Yes...coincidence?

http://www.fishwithbraids.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2008/11/7 17:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder what they are expressing in their art there. Interesting and annoying.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 15:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
There are already fire extinguisher tags in JC, just not downtown. Head over to the 1&9/Lower Hack neighborhood or 1&9 North, just past the tonnelle circle. I forget who did them, I'd have to check the photo archives.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 7:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/14 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
There's also the Anti-Graffiti Task Force you could contact, but I believe each business owner needs to sign something to okay the clean-up.

http://www.jciaonline.org/graffiti.php

Posted on: 2008/11/6 18:00

Please Help Stop The Graffiti Vandal S.U.N
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ladies and Gentlemen,
One need only walk up Newark Ave from Grove St. to see the numerous tags of S.U.N written all over the place, businesses and homes alike. For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to just look at the Washington Mutual Bank on Newark Ave. The person has brazenly written in marker SUN right on the front of the building. Each week he is vandalizing more and more property and he must be stopped. This is unexceptable, people are trying to beutify the area and take pride in their neighborhoods and vandals like SUN are ruining their efforts.
We need to all work together to stop this vandal SUN so please keep your eyes open and report any vandalism you see to the JCPD East Distict command 201-547-5408.( You can also email them) I have phoned them and alerted them of the situation and told them to expect tips from callers. We all want a better downtown and graffiti vandals like S.U.N must be stopped.

Thanks,
Jaah

Posted on: 2008/11/6 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
And here I've been thinking the scribbler's work was a manifestation of a neurotic condition. Wow, he's actually quite the Dadaist!

I'd like to thank Parkman and other volunteers who show up with paint afterwards.

Quote:

amigounit wrote:

I would like to give credit to the guy or girl who writes "god is shit" Im talking about the piece I have seen at the end of Jersey Ave. just before the walking bridge, over the sewage stream, near the kitten dump. I think their art is a perfect reflection of its surrounding. I am not sure of the motivation behind their work, I however believe it delivers a great message about peoples ethics in its appropriate radial areas. From what it appears to be is found trash, disposed of by its surrounding communities, turned into art. On all the pieces of refuse it is written in black marker, "God Is Shit" If you take a moment to think about it as art and not as trash or vandalism in its polluted nature, you will find that it can very intelligently refer to the ignorance of people around the world. It was obviously not created without a purpose, each creation has meaning. What the piece on Jersey Ave says to me is that god, like all created and manufactured things is easily disposable and undesirable after use, the fact that no one has cleaned it up simply makes the piece stronger. It is symbolic of all consumer products. People don't care to rely so much on religion or nature itself for nourishment anymore. They want simplicity, convenience, and the ability to pay people off to do work for them. As human beings we are challenged by what we do and what we are truly capable of. This art reflects the laziness of modern day human beings. Lower your dependence. If you have a problem take a stance in your own community and do some work for yourself, instead of being a nark to the police. Don't your think they have more important things to worry about? Take a moment to think about what creation means and what it represents instead of complaining about its appearance. Somethings are simply vandalism and to spite people like you and somethings have a purpose and are expressions of their nature. If people could think and act more for themselves, representation would not be desired. The Irony of Beauty. Keep on "God Is SHIT"

Posted on: 2008/9/8 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

groovlstk wrote:
Anyone who grew up in the Heights remember the guy on New York Ave. (I think just after Franklin St. going towards Ravine) who used to paint slogans in white paint on the outside of his building, usually about evil Republicans? I have no doubt he was more than a bit crazy, but it sure made the neighborhood more interesting.

Yes, in fact I thought I saw him puttering around in front of his house not too long ago. A while back I read that he is a disgruntled Nam vet. It seems he has givin up painting the signs though. Maybe he's on meds now or more likely has found a cheaper and less labor intensive venue for his looney ultra lib rants, like posting them here. I remember at one point he painted the entire front of his house black from top to bottom. I'm sure he was making some sort of statement with that but it was lost on me.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Ugggh, why would anyone want to compair Jersey City to Williamsburg?

Quote:

shakatah wrote:
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Anyone have a look at the side of the 6th street embankment just west of Coles?

Really tagged up.... just noticed it yesterday; not sure when it happened.

Happened sat. night into early sunday morning I think.

I really hope this is not what is meant when people compare Jersey City to Williamsburg. There are some serious graffiti vandals there.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

icechute wrote:

Happened sat. night into early sunday morning I think.

I really hope this is not what is meant when people compare Jersey City to Williamsburg. There are some serious graffiti vandals there.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 16:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone who grew up in the Heights remember the guy on New York Ave. (I think just after Franklin St. going towards Ravine) who used to paint slogans in white paint on the outside of his building, usually about evil Republicans? I have no doubt he was more than a bit crazy, but it sure made the neighborhood more interesting.

Posted on: 2008/9/8 14:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/9/8 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I keep seeing the spray painted tag "SUN" on Newark Ave, I would love nothing more then for him to get busted. These graffiti pests need to stop polluting the downtown area with this garbage. I see businesses painting and fixing up the front of their places only to have them spray painted over with sensless tags. They need to be delt with harshly.

Posted on: 2008/9/7 23:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/28 15:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I would like to paint a giant mural depicting my love for George W. Bush on the front of your building. Is that okay?

Except you don't love G.W.
If you included "Bush is Shit" underneath, I would consider that offer (depending on how good your mural is).

Posted on: 2008/9/7 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I would like to paint a giant mural depicting my love for George W. Bush on the front of your building. Is that okay?

Posted on: 2008/9/7 20:50

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017