Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: American Can/ Canco Lofts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
Quote:

Nice photos, I have worked with friends setting up photoshoots like this and most of the items in the photos probably don't belong to the owner of the apt. The photos are "staged" and most of the furnishings were probably lent by the owners of the businesses such as Public Manor. Which is why there are hyperlinks to these businesses.

I know the owner and this is not at all staged. It really looks like this. It is quite amazing; the pics don't even really do it justice.

please tell the owner he's got a HUGE admirer in downtown. I love everything about that space.

Posted on: 2014/5/21 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't realize there was a market for old rusty fans.

Posted on: 2014/5/9 3:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/17 15:38
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nice photos, I have worked with friends setting up photoshoots like this and most of the items in the photos probably don't belong to the owner of the apt. The photos are "staged" and most of the furnishings were probably lent by the owners of the businesses such as Public Manor. Which is why there are hyperlinks to these businesses.

I know the owner and this is not at all staged. It really looks like this. It is quite amazing; the pics don't even really do it justice.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

I'm sure the place was tidied up a bit, with pieces moved around for effect, but the whole idea behind Apartment Therapy is that they show actual places where people really live.

(I know this because a friend's LA place was featured on A.T. a few years ago, and she at first expressed concern that they were tweaking her furniture arrangement, then she thought, "hey I like it better like this.")

The owner of the loft clearly states he's been collecting all his life, so it's not a stretch to think that his furnishings are his own (plus, he owns the business that's linked).

Yup. I can also confirm this. A friend of mine had their tiny carriage house featured maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Everything was their own.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
A gorgeous Canco loft is featured in today's Apartment Therapy.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/jeffr ... -tour-house-tour-202850#_

I'm sure the place was tidied up a bit, with pieces moved around for effect, but the whole idea behind Apartment Therapy is that they show actual places where people really live.

(I know this because a friend's LA place was featured on A.T. a few years ago, and she at first expressed concern that they were tweaking her furniture arrangement, then she thought, "hey I like it better like this.")

The owner of the loft clearly states he's been collecting all his life, so it's not a stretch to think that his furnishings are his own (plus, he owns the business that's linked).

Posted on: 2014/5/8 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/8 14:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
People organise (and presumably purchase!) their books by colour? Whatever next.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/5/8 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thx for sharing. It looks great - love the bookshelf!

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:

Posted on: 2014/5/8 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/7 18:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard 4 restauraunts as well. They already have a pretty good cafe in there.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcguy05 wrote:

what big plans? i thought they were just going to use those warehouses as specialized storage units for artworks, rented out to people.

Well, they're using some of the space for artist's studios and they've got some exhibition galleries. They plan a sculpture garden, a 1400 seat auditorium, and eventually a hotel.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
Mana bought the 4th and 5th towers of Canco, which are the two on the end that have not been refinished or had their windows replaced. They were previously slated for future development by the Canco developer, but are now part of the Mana campus and their future expansion plans. Mana also just bought the Topps Building next to them. They have some big plans brewing...

what big plans? i thought they were just going to use those warehouses as specialized storage units for artworks, rented out to people.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
.. They have some big plans brewing...

Thanks!

For one thing, they think they can bring enough traffic to their center to put a hotel back there.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 20:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Mana bought the 4th and 5th towers of Canco, which are the two on the end that have not been refinished or had their windows replaced. They were previously slated for future development by the Canco developer, but are now part of the Mana campus and their future expansion plans. Mana also just bought the Topps Building next to them. They have some big plans brewing...

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Do a goggle map on > newark avenue and senate place jersey city nj< those red brick buildings house Mana.

Then over on Dey Street the white building?s are Canco. (you probably knew that) But you are right they are showing the white Canco building and she is walking down the stairs in a Canco building. Beats me.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Where's Canco in relation to Mana Contemporary? I know MC is immediately south, but there's a point in this video for Mana Contemporary that almost looks like we're standing on top of Canco: [!IFRAME FILTERED! ]

Future Renovations at Mana Contemporary from Mana Contemporary on Vimeo.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
The plant that used to be next door to Canco was an old gas manufacturing facility. The contaminated property nearby (they used to coke coal and naphtha in unlined pits) was re-mediated a few years ago.

I am not sure how much longer Hudson generating station will run. I think the smaller unit has already been shut down. The plant is very old (though it has been upgraded a number of times) and is approaching the end of its useful life span.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 14:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/28 0:07
Group:
Registered Users
the PSEG Hudson Generating Station, north of 1&9 on Hackensack. so a coal burning power plant less than 0.5 mile north of canco. Thanks neverleft for the link, it is always good to have more information.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of that razing was done to make way for the new Wittpenn Bridge and surrounding roads. If you look at the below state link it has a nice .pdf of the bridge route. (I think it is the final design)

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation ... /rt7wittpenn/projmgr.shtm

I grew up in that area below Journal Square in Marion. The PSE&G tank farm that was removed had a huge gray gas tank. In the winter it would go up or down depending on usage. The plant would often let out a terrible sounding whoosh of air or maybe steam. Someone said it was some kind of pressure relief system. Scary sounding to a little kid. We called it "the noise". Our parents used it as a parenting tool as in ?see you were so bad you caused ?the noise? to come and now the whole neighborhood is going to blow up?. Thanks mom.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:48

Edited by neverleft on 2013/5/28 14:06:27

Re: Journal Square / New York Times: Ambitions Expand at Canco Lofts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Ah yes, that clears it up. I am not worried about anything. You are just a troll who does not know what they are talking about.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bricks wrote:
Quote:

crap didn't realized this huge power plant is like steps away.

What are you talking about? You signed up just to post that? There is no power plant "steps away" from Canco.

what are u worried about? it is what it is.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 4:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

What are you talking about? You signed up just to post that? There is no power plant "steps away" from Canco.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
I think the expansion to 1,100 units is a total lie.

They are having problems selling existing units because there is no neighborhood to speak of in the immediate vicinity, so in order to sell the units they claim they will create a new neighborhood in the future.

Does anyone know what the plans are for the area? They recently razed everything on the south side of St Pauls west of the tracks to James plus more on the north side of St. Pauls and on other streets nearby. It seems like they're getting ready for something.

There are also a few large lots in the area being detoxified. I'm not sure how long that takes but there's an awful lot of space opening up.

With the PSE&G powerplant, oil tanks, and the street level railroad crossing (mandatory horn blast) I don't see the potential but if someone can make it work then best of luck to them.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 19:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/19 21:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
@bodhipoo Thank you for the reply.

I have heard of some residents that have experienced leaks in their apts? Any truth to this? I wonder if that is something you would uncover during inspection.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
@Vergeofinsanity: Of course CanCo Lofts residents can park on the street. Why wouldn't they be allowed to do so? No law stipulates that you MUST buy a parking spot at the building, or lease one.

@Heights: You are assuming much. Some residents may own more than one car (think couples with two jobs, or roommates heading to different jobs, etc) and the Lofts only guarantees one spot available per unit, with a LONG waiting list for additional spots.

If you live in CanCo Lofts, with more than one car for your unit, you will have to park on the street, or find a parking lot where to keep your car. Also, keep in mind that the area is rife with car break ins. I know someone's whose car was broken into twice within a few months of moving in while parked outside overnight. Another resident had his FOUR (!!) tires stolen and his car was left sitting on cinder blocks. This happened right outside the building.

So, yes, you can park outside, but beware. Perhaps it is more cost effective to park in a lot, long term.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 13:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/19 21:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Are residents allowed to park on the street? $150/month for parking seems steep.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 23:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the link Toonces; that answered all my questions.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
@Toonces: I find it interesting that some units pay different/variable rates for maintenance fees. Based on your numbers, indeed the rate works out to about 59 c, but the fees being quoted for that unit Malcontent is eyeing do approximate to 64 cents per sq. ft., which is pretty much how it worked out for my father, who also lives in CanCo Lofts.

Sorry - and I know this is also confusing - but depending on who you speak with, our unit square footage can be based on either "internal" measurements, or "external" (meaning, the outside wall). I own a 1BR, the same as what Malcontent is looking at - but I know it with a larger square footage because of how it was originally listed (which was shady, in my opinion), hence my different calculation of the maintenance fees. Thankfully, our rates have only changed once, since the lofts were elligible for occupation (to the best of my recollection), but regardless, we're both in the same ballpark.

We do all pay the same amount.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(getting off of the money topic for this..sorry)

@Tounces: I saw your comment about you wishing there were more bars?you need to find a time machine.

Because that area had a lot of factories there were a lot of taverns and diners to go along with them. Some of those factories were running 3 shifts during the war years. (gotta have a shot and a burger after your shift ) There was a bar on almost every corner and space in between. From growing up I remember maybe 4 on St. Pauls. That Amin?s Hala Chinese Food joint on the corner was a bar, below it on that little side street was a corner bar. (Four Aces Lounge cool place). Two on the corners of St. Paul?s and Liberty Ave. The Polish Home over on Liberty also had a bar downstairs. On Newark Ave the famous Joey Stars (someone should grab that sign and restore it..a classic). On the corner of Tonnele and Newark a bar on two corners ..the Singas Pizza and China Spice joints were both bars. The corner where that newer oddly shaped building is was a drug store. The remaining corner was an old school diner. Going up Newark Ave to the Blvd there had to be another 2 or 3 bars on each side of the street.

That stretch of Newark Ave ( Little India)had a lot of great stores. bakeries, hardware, butchers, jewelry, barber?s, candy, soda fountains, grocery, small department store, electronics, typewriter (fyi - they were things used before computers) , travel , clothes, fish markets, and even dentists. Geez there was even a full blown bowling ally at the end of Van Wagenen next to the railroad tracks.

I told this tale before. In the 70?s all of those stores closed up. The bars lasted a little longer. Most of the stores were left empty. Then the Indian business men started to come around. Boom in the late 70?s one Indian store after another opened up. No more empty stores. The sad thing is all of those old-school bars and diners were gutted. I remember walking by the dumpsters filled with beautiful oak bars and mirrored bar backs all chopped up. I tried to tell the Indian guys that the stuff was classic and should be saved. They didn?t give two craps about it in their rush to open a Sari or grocery store. I was surprised the landlords let it happen. But those people were just happy to have their spaces rented. I said this before you yuppies, newcomers, and hipster s discovered JC way too late. All of those classic bars and diners all over JC are gone but probably could have been saved if you dudes showed up years earlier. Shame on you! (I could only drink and eat so much to kept them alive myself, lord knows I tried) :)

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
@Toonces: I find it interesting that some units pay different/variable rates for maintenance fees. Based on your numbers, indeed the rate works out to about 59 c, but the fees being quoted for that unit Malcontent is eyeing do approximate to 64 cents per sq. ft., which is pretty much how it worked out for my father, who also lives in CanCo Lofts.

As for the taxes being quoted to Malcontent, those can't possibly be right. The online tax records tell a different story.

Malcontent, who do you think is lying? The broker? Or, the county tax records??

Posted on: 2013/1/11 19:17

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017