Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City gets tough on taxis -- additional passengers by consent only
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/4 14:09
From Journal Square, duh!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

istabraq wrote:
the cabs are often scarier than the walk!

That's because walking has 0% risks, and I exaggerate.

Posted on: 2007/8/19 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
tape the next conversation with the ass and note his licence number then report him.

Posted on: 2007/8/19 0:58
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
My boyfriend always yells at me when I walk home late instead of taking a cab - but the cabs are often scarier than the walk! Last cab ride from JSQ involved queries from the driver as to whether I'd ever "had an Egyptian" and whether I had room for him in my house (which he had evidently memorized the location of, having dropped me off once before) - and the presence of the boyfriend at home seemed to present no deterrent to his determination.

Not to mention all the thread-relevant issues like no meters, crazy driving, stuffing ten people in a cab etc. It's impossible to explain to out-of-town visitors what an odyssey a JC cab ride can be.

Posted on: 2007/8/18 23:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
In Journal Square, until the beginning of this summer the taxi situation was completely out of control. After then maybe 50% of the time a TLC guy or gal has been posted during the evening rush hour, this has been a huge help.
I have noticed that when the TLC guy is not there, the taxi?s are somewhat better behaved. Although, they do fall back into anarchy occasionally? overall it has been the best response to a city problem I have seen in JC? to bad it took years for the city to take any action.

Posted on: 2007/8/18 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to know who is going to keep an eye on the technical side of things - The cab driver in my neighborhood tells me he is well aware and knows how very easy it is to change and re-calibrate a meter to the cab owners benefit.

I hope when they do these checks, they check everything - the drivers licence, the brakes, suspension and all safety aspects of the car. They should also do a DUI (drugs / alcohol) test since they are driving the public around.

On another issue, I'd like the union or cops to enter building sites and do similar DUI test on workers using construction and industrial equipment. Non fatal injuries are not often reported.

Posted on: 2007/8/17 21:46
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Taken for a ride

Senior and officials tell taxis to stop overcharging in JC

Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter staff writer 08/17/2007

NEW ENFORCEMENT ON CABS ? These taxis in Journal Square will be subject to inspections as part of the city?s new ?Zero Tolerance Policy? to ensure the drivers and owners of taxi companies adhere to city regulations.
Officials and a local senior citizen have been complaining that some local taxi drivers make up a fee for a ride within Jersey City instead of turning on their meter like they are supposed to.

Catherine Grimm, a lifelong Jersey City resident, said at the Aug. 8 City Council meeting that a taxi driver charged her $12 to get to the meeting from her home in Jersey City Heights. Grimm said the driver did not follow the city law to use his meter.

"I got into the cab and we pull[ed] away, and I spoke to the driver about putting on the meter on," Grimm recounted. "He tells me the dispatcher gave him a fee. I said, 'No he didn't; the meter should be on."

A few days after her comments, Mayor Jerramiah Healy announced Tuesday a "Zero Tolerance Policy" for taxi drivers and owners who do not heed the laws of the city like the driver Grimm dealt with.

There will also be inspectors stationed at the taxi stand near the Journal Square PATH Station in the evening to check that drivers follow the city's taxi policies.

Just the meter, please

Grimm is usually a presence at City Council meetings, asking questions about various topics. She also takes cabs to these meetings since she does not own a car.

Grimm's complaint is an all too-common lament from passengers, according to Paul Barna, director of the city's Division of Commerce, which is responsible for enforcing taxi regulations in the city.

Barna said residents are correct in citing the rule that the driver and his dispatcher should have been following city regulations that call for the use of the meter in the city.

For any travel outside the city, the passenger and driver can then negotiate a price.

"We are not trying to hurt anyone, but that's first of all the rule," Barna said. "The meter must be used on trips within a city limits."

Grimm also said during the meeting that she was charged a full rate rather than the senior citizen discount.

"This is what the seniors and the disabled are up against when taking a cab in the city," Grimm said.

Barna said senior citizens are entitled to a discount up to 50 percent at times, but only on weekends and during off-peak hours. That means the discount applies Monday through Friday except from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and all day Saturday and Sunday.

Zero tolerance

When City Councilwoman Viola Richardson asked Grimm if she had the registration number of the cab she took that morning to the City Council meeting, Grimm said she had not done so. Grimm claimed if she lodged a complaint against the driver, the "word would get out" among local taxi companies and she would not be able to get a cab to pick up her up at her home.

She said this has happened to her to her before.

Richardson said if the Division of Commerce knew the number of the cab, they would be able to investigate.

In last week's announcement by Healy about the enforcement of the existing taxi policy, he emphasized that passengers should make note of the cab's registration number, which has to be displayed at all times.

The city also will be enforcing the following regulations: taxi cabs must have a functional spare tire, drivers are not allowed to leave their vehicles unattended while they solicit fares, and additional passengers are not allowed into the taxi without the consent of the original passenger.

"Our Zero Tolerance Policy applies to all aspects of life, including taxi service," said Mayor Healy in an issued statement. "We want our residents to be proud of where they live, and to know that the city takes their concerns seriously."

Barna said the new efforts at enforcement came about not just from passenger complaints, but also as a result of a state inspection this spring in which only four out of 104 taxis passed inspection on May 22 and May 23.

But he also said most drivers are in compliance due to "increased vigilance" by the public about their rights as passengers.

What does Grimm think of the new enforcement?

"It should have been zero tolerance in the first place," she said.

Patrons with questions or complaints about taxis are urged to call the Commerce Hotline at (201) 547-4232.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com

Posted on: 2007/8/17 21:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/4 19:36
From McGinley Square / Lincoln Park
Group:
Registered Users
If they don't run the meter, by law you do not have to pay them. I've never actually invoked this, but I know my ride by the meter is $6 including tip, and if a driver tries to charge me more, I ask him if he wants the usual $6 or his legally-allowed zero. They'll take the proper fare every time.

I'd like to see how long the city stays "tough" on the cabs. About 90% of them at Journal Square fail basic safety inspections, yet nothing is done about it. It'll probably take someone getting killed in an accident and a $100 million dollar lawsuit for anything to change.

Quote:

Dweeze wrote:
Slightly related.

Is it required by law for the cabs to turn on their meters?

I have taken cabs from the path station (newport or grove) to my apt on brunswick and have been given a flat charge all but one time.

This flat rate can range from 5 to 8 dollars! When the meter was running it was around $6 (can't remember).

I have tried to reason with them, but as expected it was a fruitless effort.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2007/8/16 16:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 13:28
Group:
Registered Users
Slightly related.

Is it required by law for the cabs to turn on their meters?

I have taken cabs from the path station (newport or grove) to my apt on brunswick and have been given a flat charge all but one time.

This flat rate can range from 5 to 8 dollars! When the meter was running it was around $6 (can't remember).

I have tried to reason with them, but as expected it was a fruitless effort.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2007/8/16 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, better late than never. I'm no fan of Healy but nobody can say this is bad news... well except for crooked cabbies.

Posted on: 2007/8/16 12:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City gets tough on taxis

by Ken Thorbourne
Wednesday August 15, 2007, 2:53 PM

"Our zero tolerance policy applies to all aspects of life, including taxi service," said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy. "We want our residents to be proud of where they live and to know that the city takes their concerns seriously."

And Healy has been in office for how long and only now he is going to do something?

'zero tolerance policy applies to all aspects of life', then Healy should have resigned after his conviction or at least 'stepped down' until his appeal was done.

I guess ethics, good character and conviction free politicians isn't included in 'all aspects of life'.

Posted on: 2007/8/16 2:46

Jersey City gets tough on taxis -- additional passengers by consent only
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City gets tough on taxis

by Ken Thorbourne
Wednesday August 15, 2007, 2:53 PM

Jersey City has announced a new get-tough policy for cab drivers who can't hack it.

"Our zero tolerance policy applies to all aspects of life, including taxi service," said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy. "We want our residents to be proud of where they live and to know that the city takes their concerns seriously."

City Division of Commerce officials said the crackdown will include: making sure taxi cabs have functional spare tires; that drivers don't leave their cabs unattended while they solicit other fares; that seniors are given a discount up to 50 percent during off-peak hours and weekends; and additional passengers are not allowed into the taxi without the consent of the original passenger.

"Ultimately, the owner has the responsibility and duty to ensure that the vehicle is properly maintained and that the driver follows all local, state, and federal laws," said Commerce Director Paul Barna.

The announcement comes after news that out of the104 taxis inspected by the state's Safe Taxi program this spring, only four passed.

Posted on: 2007/8/15 23:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017