Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cutting down large trees on Barrow Street
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
They are cutting in front of my building, I'm very sad and called about it. The man said that many people were upset over the cutting of the trees on Barrow.

Posted on: 2017/5/18 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The overhead wires really look like shit. It's an incredible difference walking on a brownstone block in Brooklyn versus JC or Hoboken. Architecturally almost identical, but way more beautiful without the wires. It's really noticeable.

Ironically, the only thing that really hides them is a heavily tree-lined block (like York between Jersey and Varick, or really any of those horizontal streets west of Jersey Ave).

Posted on: 2017/5/9 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Underground isn't a slam dunk, by the way. It's significantly more expensive to install and maintain, especially in developed areas; it's harder to upgrade; they aren't more reliable; failures are harder to locate; they're more susceptible to flood damage.

All that to save the occasional tree?

Actually, NYC did it to avoid downed lines in storms. And IMO the mess of poles and wires looks like shit.

Posted on: 2017/5/9 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I recently learned that NYC chose to bury it's power & telecom lines in the 1st decade of the 20th century. Jersey, as always, still half assed.

Give it time. It's only been 100 years. Such advanced concepts take time to spread and take hold.

Yes, and I'm sure if they announced a plan to bury the power lines today, there would be an explosion of complaints by JC residents / JC List posters. Sidewalks torn up, short power outages, possible flood damage, the outrageous costs, and whatever pol recommends it will of course be pilloried and accused of taking donations/kickbacks....

Underground isn't a slam dunk, by the way. It's significantly more expensive to install and maintain, especially in developed areas; it's harder to upgrade; they aren't more reliable; failures are harder to locate; they're more susceptible to flood damage.

All that to save the occasional tree?

Posted on: 2017/5/8 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to know what the official process for tree removal. My understanding is the utility company only flat tops the trees to keep branches away from wires.

JC DPW - who knows. It is scary to think one boneheaded owner could negatively impact a whole block by asking for a mature tree to be completely taken down.

Posted on: 2017/5/8 14:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stillhere wrote:
The other sad fact is that the stumps are never removed, preventing a new tree from ever being planted. There are now no trees on the west side of Barrow between Mercer and Wayne. I saw the sections of trunk that were cut down. The tree was healthy. They could of trimmed it if the wires were the issue. What's the City's policy when a homeowner calls and "claims" a tree is dangerous and needs to be removed? I called once and was told that there was no Ciy arborist. Who makes the decision? Nearly a hundred years of history gone in an afternoon.

I was always under the impression that a tree had to be dead for a removal process by the city's DPW / Parks and Forestry Division.

Posted on: 2017/5/8 1:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/30 15:49
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
The other sad fact is that the stumps are never removed, preventing a new tree from ever being planted. There are now no trees on the west side of Barrow between Mercer and Wayne. I saw the sections of trunk that were cut down. The tree was healthy. They could of trimmed it if the wires were the issue. What's the City's policy when a homeowner calls and "claims" a tree is dangerous and needs to be removed? I called once and was told that there was no Ciy arborist. Who makes the decision? Nearly a hundred years of history gone in an afternoon.

Posted on: 2017/5/7 23:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I recently learned that NYC chose to bury it's power & telecom lines in the 1st decade of the 20th century. Jersey, as always, still half assed.

Give it time. It's only been 100 years. Such advanced concepts take time to spread and take hold.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2017/5/6 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame this is. Two very large beautiful trees on a beautiful block. I'm assuming it was either due to the health of the trees, or their interference with the overhead wires. It's probably because of the wires, which is really unfortunate. They chopped up another tree just south of where these two were removed a few years ago, and it looks absurd to this day.

Jersey City and Hoboken are among the few urban historic districts that have overhead wires. Not only is it ugly in general, but it causes Jersey City to chop the limbs of these beautiful trees.

I'm realistic enough to know that Jersey City, due to the cost and Jersey City's complete ignorance of aesthetics, will never bury the power lines, but it is a real shame.

Posted on: 2017/5/6 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Check with your neighborhood association. Also call the DPW; Division of Parks and Forestry (201) 547-4449 along with your council person.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:10
Get on your bikes and ride !

Cutting down large trees on Barrow Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/30 15:49
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
On Thursday my family noticed that a large old growth tree was cut down along Barrow Street near the intersection with Mercer. They had not yet taken away the large trunk that was cut up into sections. There was no rot at all in any of the trunk sections. The posted no parking signs did not indicate who murdered this fine specimen tree (it was a London Plane tree). I am fearful they are going to take more. Who's doing it? (The City, PSEG?). Why? It was a healthy tree. How do we prevent this in the future?

Beware if your entire block is posted with No Parking signs!

Posted on: 2017/5/5 21:04

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017