Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: PATH gets United CEO fired?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We have way too many sociopaths and narcissists in government office - I'm very much an advocate that all government senior officials need to pass a psychological and ethical test on a yearly basis, so as to rid us of poor and selfish governance.

Posted on: 2017/3/6 22:10
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

Ex-Port Authority chief Samson gets probation in bribery scheme

, NorthJersey Published 3:01 p.m. ET March 6, 2017

The former Port Authority chairman and longtime confidante of Gov. Chris Christie was sentenced to four years probation, including a year of home confinement, today after his conviction on federal bribery charges for using his position to pressure United Airlines to provide a route that would make it easier for him to fly to his second home in South Carolina.

David Samson will also be required to do 3,600 hours of community service and pay a $100,000 fine.

He pleaded guilty to the charges in July and, in a non-prosecution agreement, United Airlines agreed to cooperate with the investigation, make reforms to its compliance program and pay a penalty of $2.25 million.

Samson faced up to two years in prison under the plea agreement he made with federal prosecutors.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/news ... -bribery-scheme/98690210/

Posted on: 2017/3/6 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

Perhaps they are just using common sense. Weinberg is 100% right. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to spend that $2 billion on a new rail tunnel which will benefit the entire state, rather than this unnecessary extension which will not benefit the majority of Jersey City residents at all (as most are probably not flying out of Newark very often).

At best, the more affluent residents here who travel on a regular basis through Newark Airport will benefit, but even then they can just take an Uber or cab. It is a total waste of money and unconscionable when that money can be contributed towards a new rail tunnel.

The problem is the Port Authority isn't a state agency. Its a bi-state agency. New Yorkers have plenty to gain from a faster ride straight from lower Manhattan to Newark Airport and arguably, much less to gain from spending money on a rail tunnel to New Jersey, particularly after New Jersey's government wasted hundreds of millions of dollars and turned down $3 billion in federal aid.

Posted on: 2015/9/15 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/15 20:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

I know folks here see two billion dollars for the PATH extension and think of all the cool and better things that could do with it in New Jersey, but that's not the way these things work.

Except this is exactly what the NJ politicians are calling for so clearly things can work like that No offense but I'll take their word over yours.

Trusting a politician, a New Jersey one at that?!? Tsk tsk rookie mistake. LOL!!!

A couple state senators in Bergen County have no influence over the Port Authority.

Posted on: 2015/9/12 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

I know folks here see two billion dollars for the PATH extension and think of all the cool and better things that could do with it in New Jersey, but that's not the way these things work.

Except this is exactly what the NJ politicians are calling for so clearly things can work like that. No offense but I'll take their word over yours.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:

You are correct that those opposed to the extension have different reasons, but both sides agree these billions would be much better off spent elsewhere. Especially when even you admit that "there will be many New Yorkers going the opposite direction to catch their flights out of Newark."

I'd rather our $2 billion benefit the residents of our area, or even our state, not primarily New Yorkers. And I'd rather the benefit be one that we appreciate daily, not once or twice a year.

Except it's not our $2 billion. It's Port Authority's money. And they have a capital budget plan in place. If the PATH extension is killed, what makes you think the money will stay in New Jersey? It will most likely go to fund their next priorities on their capital budget plan.

WTC, PABT, LaGuardia... all in New York.

http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-infor ... 4-public-capital-plan.pdf

Posted on: 2015/9/11 22:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I'm not sure why they couldn't...just do like they do on NJ transit and make sure people know that certain cars don't let off at certain stations. It's easy enough to post stops on each car etc.

Somebody mentioned on an older thread that this isn't legal on transit that crosses state lines.

They have it on NJ Transit, which crosses state lines. I could see an argument that you can't have it underground as people in off stations cars could legitimately get trapped in the case of an emergency.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:

An observation - one side of the debate argues this is a duplicate service that no one will use while the other argues that PATH is overcrowded and can't handle influx of people from the airport.

On a side note - As someone stated earlier, NJ transit should start an express bus service to the Airport with just 4 stops: Newark Penn, Terminal A, B, and C.

You are correct that those opposed to the extension have different reasons, but both sides agree these billions would be much better off spent elsewhere. Especially when even you admit that "there will be many New Yorkers going the opposite direction to catch their flights out of Newark."

I'd rather our $2 billion benefit the residents of our area, or even our state, not primarily New Yorkers. And I'd rather the benefit be one that we appreciate daily, not once or twice a year.

Your last suggestion is good. Start an express bus service and do away with the extension. Put that money to better use.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
I still dont understand how so many people can be opposed to an extension that to me makes perfect sense. A direct link from WTC or 33rd street to the EWR Airtrain, much like the A train goes to the Airtrain in JFK. How is this a bad idea as opposed to getting off and transferring to a bus or a Nj Transit train to go one stop?

A direct link will result in WAY more Newark Airport passengers using PATH to get to NYC, rather than the bus to Port Authority, train to Penn Station, or a cab.

The PATH can barely hold the growing number of commuters that use it daily. Add plane-fuls of tourists, and you can forget about getting on an NYC-bound train at Grove Street.

A direct link will result in more passengers using PATH to get to Manhattan, and it will absolutely suck for anyone getting on at Grove during the morning rush. But PATH isn't too bad during non peak hours. It will be able to handle the influx of passengers outside of rush hour and the airport workers traveling. The move to 10 car trains from 7 on the WTC line will increase capacity by ~30%. Signalizing improvements will allow more trains to be run.

Plus the airport may open up a reverse commute. As New Jersey residents travel to New York during the morning rush hour, there will be many New Yorkers going the opposite direction to catch their flights out of Newark. The reverse flow is nowhere near capacity.

An observation - one side of the debate argues this is a duplicate service that no one will use while the other argues that PATH is overcrowded and can't handle influx of people from the airport.

On a side note - As someone stated earlier, NJ transit should start an express bus service to the Airport with just 4 stops: Newark Penn, Terminal A, B, and C.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
I'm not sure why they couldn't...just do like they do on NJ transit and make sure people know that certain cars don't let off at certain stations. It's easy enough to post stops on each car etc.

Somebody mentioned on an older thread that this isn't legal on transit that crosses state lines.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
I still dont understand how so many people can be opposed to an extension that to me makes perfect sense. A direct link from WTC or 33rd street to the EWR Airtrain, much like the A train goes to the Airtrain in JFK. How is this a bad idea as opposed to getting off and transferring to a bus or a Nj Transit train to go one stop?

A direct link will result in WAY more Newark Airport passengers using PATH to get to NYC, rather than the bus to Port Authority, train to Penn Station, or a cab.

The PATH can barely hold the growing number of commuters that use it daily. Add plane-fuls of tourists, and you can forget about getting on an NYC-bound train at Grove Street.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Ive ridden the 62 bus a number of times from Newark Penn right to the terminals (stops at A, B and C). It really is easier and cheaper than the NJ Transit/Air Train and probably takes about the same time.

I would advocate for an express bus from Newark Penn to the airport, as it can be really annoying when the bus stops on every corner through downtown Newark.

Then spend the money on a new tunnel for the generations after all us are gone!

Posted on: 2015/9/11 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
I still dont understand how so many people can be opposed to an extension that to me makes perfect sense. A direct link from WTC or 33rd street to the EWR Airtrain, much like the A train goes to the Airtrain in JFK. How is this a bad idea as opposed to getting off and transferring to a bus or a Nj Transit train to go one stop? Not to mention that out of towners will have no map or person to help them find these things once they get off the PATH or Airtrain. This is why public transit blows in this country. People would rather shave money off funding, thinking its a redundant service, when it only will streamline travel.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
They can't extend the stations on the 33rd st line. I'm not sure why they couldn't have articulated trains that are a bit longer so people could walk to exits, or just do like they do on NJ transit and make sure people know that certain cars don't let off at certain stations. It's easy enough to post stops on each car etc.

Sure it might cause some confusion to start, but 90% of PATH traffic is commuters always getting off at the same station. They would figure out which cars to be on pretty quickly.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Connecting the Path and the HBLR to Bergen county will mean less traffic, more economic development, and higher real estate prices.

I would prefer the money to be spent on enlarging all PATH stations to accommodate 10+ train cars. This would be a better use of existing funds.

Only NWK-WTC Path Stations can be enlarged to accommodate 10+ train cars, and that capital project is already on the books. It can't realistically be done for the 33rd line stations, and anyone that tells you otherwise is ignorant of the engineering challenges it would present.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Connecting the Path and the HBLR to Bergen county will mean less traffic, more economic development, and higher real estate prices.

I would prefer the money to be spent on enlarging all PATH stations to accommodate 10+ train cars. This would be a better use of existing funds.

Posted on: 2015/9/11 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/9/11 11:55
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
And you writing about a public authority that forgot to put ADA accommodations in the Grove Street Entrance Project and 14 years later still has not finished rebuilding the WTC. Customer Service is a phrase they never heard off... you will be long gone before they finish a PATH expansion project.

quote]
JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Still cheaper than a limo/cab ride with driver tip. The PATH can't manage the service they provide now. Do you really think giving them all that money to build/manage that additional section of track is responsible? Do you really think they are going to run PATH to each terminal. It would terminate right at the monorail station where the trains stop.

And cheaper still is the 62 bus. I'll be giving it a try next time I'm flying out of Newark.

PATH has some serious issues, but are you really advocating against investment in a service that provides public transportation for 266,000 riders a day?

The new PATH station at Newark Airport has yet to be designed. It's also been announced that design work to replace the shitty AirTrain, which had reached the end of its useful life, is currently underway. The vision for the area includes a new transit hub connecting NJ Transit, PATH, the new AirTrain, and a small bus terminal. It could also bring economic development to the air.[/quote]

Posted on: 2015/9/10 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Let's review: 3 Bergen County senators who represent constituents who will not benefit directly from the PATH extension want the Port Authority to spend money on a bus terminal that their constituents must use because of poor rail connections or a new rail tunnel that would provide their constituents more reliable access to Manhattan.

It should be pretty clear that their interest in redirecting the Port Authority money is not about whether the PATH extension is a good project or whether it was illegally lobbied for. They are rightfully arguing to spend money on their constituents rather than residents of Essex, Hudson, or Manhattan Counties.

Perhaps they are just using common sense. Weinberg is 100% right. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to spend that $2 billion on a new rail tunnel which will benefit the entire state, rather than this unnecessary extension which will not benefit the majority of Jersey City residents at all (as most are probably not flying out of Newark very often).

At best, the more affluent residents here who travel on a regular basis through Newark Airport will benefit, but even then they can just take an Uber or cab. It is a total waste of money and unconscionable when that money can be contributed towards a new rail tunnel.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Let's review: 3 Bergen County senators who represent constituents who will not benefit directly from the PATH extension want the Port Authority to spend money on a bus terminal that their constituents must use because of poor rail connections or a new rail tunnel that would provide their constituents more reliable access to Manhattan.

It should be pretty clear that their interest in redirecting the Port Authority money is not about whether the PATH extension is a good project or whether it was illegally lobbied for. They are rightfully arguing to spend money on their constituents rather than residents of Essex, Hudson, or Manhattan Counties.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Key state Senators today called on the Port Authority to halt an extension of the PATH system to Newark Liberty International Airport until investigators determine whether the $1.5 billion project was influenced by the so-called "Chairman's Flight" operated briefly by United Airlines.

More

Exactly what I said in post #2 two days ago in this thread. Maybe they read JC List.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 18:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Key state Senators today called on the Port Authority to halt an extension of the PATH system to Newark Liberty International Airport until investigators determine whether the $1.5 billion project was influenced by the so-called "Chairman's Flight" operated briefly by United Airlines.

More

Posted on: 2015/9/10 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Really?

A bus from Newark Penn could very well be cheaper and faster.

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Not sure what the problem with NJ Transit o AirTrain. I have used it with no problem a number of times.

Hello... There ALREADY EXISTS a bus that leaves Newark Penn Station and it goes to EWR with just a handful of stops before it gets there. And, it IS cheaper, and faster. I use it often if I am not in a hurry and choose to go by public transportation.

The bus is the #62. Depending on your terminal, your trip will take 16 to 20 minutes from the moment it leaves Newark Penn Station to when you get off at your terminal.

Timetable NJT Bus #62

That's exactly what I said! A bus from Newark Penn may be faster and cheaper. I've personally never used it, but I know it exists. I was not calming that there was no bus from Newark Penn to the airport, silly. Although, I can see how my choice of language may have been ambiguous.

Ah, cool. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that bus. In any case, definitely not the fancy way to get around. And, of course, a single seat ride, all on the PATH, would be awesome.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Christie's latest scandal could finally sink him

Tom Moran | Star-Ledger Editorial Board

The irony is that this final blow to Gov. Chris Christie's presidential dream was delivered not by an enemy, but by a friend.

Christie's campaign is over, barring a miracle. I'll offer five reasons why in a moment.

But first, consider David Samson, Christie's most intimate governing partner, and the man who is inflicting this latest wound.

Even by Jersey standards, Samson's arrogance during this sordid episode is breathtaking. He faces a likely indictment soon over the infamous "chairman's flight" that United Airlines established at his request.

While chairman of the Port Authority, and in direct negotiation with United, Samson requested that a direct flight be established to his vacation home in South Carolina, according to multiple sources and several published reports.

The amazing part is that United agreed to do it. The flights went south on Thursday and returned on Monday mornings. They were half full, and were cancelled a few days after Samson resigned. Which tells you this was a personal favor, the kind that looks a lot like a bribe.

No doubt that explains why United on Wednesday dumped its CEO and two of his top deputies. They must be expecting an indictment. And so, apparently, is Samson, who recently added a hot-shot litigator, Justin Walder, to his legal team.

"If he's being told not to worry, he's not going to add another lawyer, especially an expensive and very well-known lawyer," said one prominent attorney.

So let's make the safe bet, that Samson will indeed be indicted. Why does that put the knife to Christie's presidential campaign?

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... 2box_nj-homepage-featured

Posted on: 2015/9/10 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Still cheaper than a limo/cab ride with driver tip. The PATH can't manage the service they provide now. Do you really think giving them all that money to build/manage that additional section of track is responsible? Do you really think they are going to run PATH to each terminal. It would terminate right at the monorail station where the trains stop.

And cheaper still is the 62 bus. I'll be giving it a try next time I'm flying out of Newark.

PATH has some serious issues, but are you really advocating against investment in a service that provides public transportation for 266,000 riders a day?

The new PATH station at Newark Airport has yet to be designed. It's also been announced that design work to replace the shitty AirTrain, which had reached the end of its useful life, is currently underway. The vision for the area includes a new transit hub connecting NJ Transit, PATH, the new AirTrain, and a small bus terminal. It could also bring economic development to the air.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Really?

$2.75 PATH train to Newark. Transfer at Newark Penn Station and pay $8.25 for a local NJ Transit train to go ONE STOP to the AirTrain station. Followed by a cumbersome transfer to the slow-moving AirTrain to the terminal buildings.

How could you say there is no problem with the above scenario? It's not a fun trip to make with luggage. My least favorite part of the transfer is waiting for a NJ Transit train that actually stops at the airport. A bus from Newark Penn could very well be cheaper and faster.

Extending PATH one more stop to the airport would be a major time saver and convenience to both airline employees and travelers, especially for anyone traveling from lower Manhattan or along the PATH lines.

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Not sure what the problem with NJ Transit o AirTrain. I have used it with no problem a number of times.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
+1 on the bus. It's not fancy, and I use employer-paid Uber when traveling on company business (because I AM fancy), but the PATH/62 is a pretty efficient way to get to the airport on the cheap.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Really?

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Hello... There ALREADY EXISTS a bus that leaves Newark Penn Station and it goes to EWR with just a handful of stops before it gets there. And, it IS cheaper, and faster. I use it often if I am not in a hurry and choose to go by public transportation.

The bus is the #62. Depending on your terminal, your trip will take 16 to 20 minutes from the moment it leaves Newark Penn Station to when you get off at your terminal.

Timetable NJT Bus #62

That's exactly what I said! A bus from Newark Penn may be faster and cheaper. I've personally never used it, but I know it exists. I was not calming that there was no bus from Newark Penn to the airport, silly. Although, I can see how my choice of language may have been ambiguous.

Posted on: 2015/9/10 13:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Really?

Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Timetable NJT Bus #62

Posted on: 2015/9/10 12:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017