Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Prospective new restaurant opening in Hamilton Park
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think we may be talking about 2 separate developments. I'm speaking of the one on Marin between 8th and 9th (across from Hudson Tech). I walk past them daily and it definitely looks like a pile driver that they're using. It's a closed construction space, isn't taking up any parking, and isn't particularly messy. It's just loud. I believe I know which one you're talking about, though.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/5 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
They aren't driving piles for the new construction. The building is being built on a concrete foundation with no piles.

There is much to complain about relating to the construction (taking up too much parking, getting mud on roads, etc.) but piles can't be one of the complaints.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I find it humorous that people were afraid that a wine bar would negatively affect a nearby school. This town is unreal sometimes.

I really think this is more of a cultural thing in the US. It is incredibly funny/weird that people think that any display of alcohol/skin/cigarettes ANYWHERE near a school is somehow detrimental to the well being of the school kids. A wine bar across the street is seen as the ultimate threat and a potential corrupting influence on "impressionable kids" but the place would probably only operate during the evenings. That makes a TON of sense. :/

Agreed. Americans have this weird thing that if children see anything other than what would be presented by Disney that they will grow up to be meth addicted prostitutes/drug dealers, despite the fact that this isn't really how it works anywhere.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 18:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/3 19:27
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
NIMBY for a wine bar but not NIMBY for the 8th installment of Bar Americana?
Somebody break up the monotony, please!

Posted on: 2016/2/5 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

HappyInHarsimus wrote:
I moved right next to that school. You know what's distracting those kids? The pile driving for the new development a block away. It is ridiculously loud every morning and the sound reverberates. I have no idea how they concentrate. I hope people don't blame the teachers for the poor standardized test scores.

This may true. But, you know what else s SUPER annoying about that school? The overly entitled douchebag parents that double and triple park in the mornings to drop off their little bundles of joy. Incredibly, the situation is made even worse by the hapless crossing guard that loves to act as a traffic cop and knows NOTHING about efficiently keeping traffic moving.
It is much worse with the Hamilton Park Montessori School at the corner of 8th and McWilliams. That cohort of completely ignorant douchebags that drop off their little snowflakes quadruple parking at the corner, blocking traffic in both directions while bumping into parked cars while trying to parallel park their boats deserve a special place in hell ... oy, they live in jersey ....

Posted on: 2016/2/5 1:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I find it humorous that people were afraid that a wine bar would negatively affect a nearby school. This town is unreal sometimes.

I really think this is more of a cultural thing in the US. It is incredibly funny/weird that people think that any display of alcohol/skin/cigarettes ANYWHERE near a school is somehow detrimental to the well being of the school kids. A wine bar across the street is seen as the ultimate threat and a potential corrupting influence on "impressionable kids" but the place would probably only operate during the evenings. That makes a TON of sense. :/

Posted on: 2016/2/4 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HappyInHarsimus wrote:
I moved right next to that school. You know what's distracting those kids? The pile driving for the new development a block away. It is ridiculously loud every morning and the sound reverberates. I have no idea how they concentrate. I hope people don't blame the teachers for the poor standardized test scores.

This may true. But, you know what else s SUPER annoying about that school? The overly entitled douchebag parents that double and triple park in the mornings to drop off their little bundles of joy. Incredibly, the situation is made even worse by the hapless crossing guard that loves to act as a traffic cop and knows NOTHING about efficiently keeping traffic moving.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 19:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/18 3:14
From Hamiliton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/4 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/4 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
The original plan for the space (the old dry cleaner) was for a wine bar. The HPNA and the neighbors killed the plan: NIMBY.

That's also what I remember, and had hoped would actually happen. Such a place would only open in the evenings, so its location across from the school seemed irrelevant.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
The original plan for the space (the old dry cleaner) was for a wine bar. The HPNA and the neighbors killed the plan: NIMBY.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 4:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
You're right, it's all about the perspective

It's all cool. At first I was really taken aback by your response, since it was plainly obvious to me that this place in the east side of "HP" (based on the idea of HP as THE PARK) but you were obviously thinking of the neighborhood. Regardless, I am also happy for another place in that area. GPs is good, and so is Ahri's Kitchen, but the area could use more variety, for sure.

Posted on: 2016/2/4 0:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/25 12:21
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
You're right, it's all about the perspective

Posted on: 2016/2/3 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
There was movement at this joint this morning. Contractors were inside and there is now a large sign on the Erie side of the building stating that renovations are taking place.

I assume that this restaurant has been given the green light by the city? Anyone have any further information?

That's great to hear! I almost don't care what kind of restaurant it is, any new option on the Northern side of HP would be great!

Huh? This restaurant would be on the southeast corner of Erie and Pavonia. Across from the school. Not at all the "Northern side of HP".

Have you looked at Hamilton Park on a map? Maybe one with a compass on it. Do you consider 10th the south side of HP? What streets would you consider to be on the Northern half of HP?

As hamhock points out, when you wrote "HP" I thought Hamilton Park, the park, but you were apparently referring to Hamilton Park, the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/6 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Perhaps this is a simple difference between one person thinking of the Hamilton Park neighborhood, and the other thinking of the actual park?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
There was movement at this joint this morning. Contractors were inside and there is now a large sign on the Erie side of the building stating that renovations are taking place.

I assume that this restaurant has been given the green light by the city? Anyone have any further information?

That's great to hear! I almost don't care what kind of restaurant it is, any new option on the Northern side of HP would be great!

Huh? This restaurant would be on the southeast corner of Erie and Pavonia. Across from the school. Not at all the "Northern side of HP".

Have you looked at Hamilton Park on a map? Maybe one with a compass on it. Do you consider 10th the south side of HP? What streets would you consider to be on the Northern half of HP?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CaptainOats wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 19:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/3 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I expect this will go through in one form or another, these sorts of things generally do. I just hope it isn't another pub. Oh well, I guess it's better than a pizza place.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
More details on this place. Operators will be the same folks behind Dorrian's in Newport. Still no word on cuisine, but would assume modern American/Irish pub given their prior experience with Dorrian's. Hamilton Park Inn, 9th & Coles and White Star seem to have this part of DT saturated with the modern American bars, so not sure whether the nabe can support another one.

That said, an after-work bar in a commercial district like Newport is a very different proposition from a spot in a low-key neighborhood like HP, so perhaps they are planning something completely different.

Couple of sizeable bureaucratic obstacles to navigate: a rezoning to put a restaurant in an area not zoned for food establishments, and a liquor license contingent upon annual approval from Cordero.

Here is the latest info from HPNA: https://hpna.wildapricot.org/News/3234465

And here are the plans submitted for the building: https://hpna.wildapricot.org/Resources ... 3-225%20Pavonia%20Ave.pdf

Posted on: 2015/3/2 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thirstyquaker wrote:
And yes, you need to be 250 feet from a school or church. The distance is measured from the main entrance of each building, along the street. This distance might be sufficient for GP's, or they got a variance by getting approval from the neighborhood association.

There's no way the Music Box is 250 ft from St Anthony's main entrance, more like 100', and St Anthony's has been there a over a century. Another "pass" for the NMB?

The bar issue is a tough one, bars like On_The_3rd mentioned are good neighbors because that's who patronizes them, the neighbors. Music Box and it's ilk are poor neighbors because it's patrons are not from the neighborhood and don't give a crap who they annoy. But there's no way to dictate what kind of bar a place might turn into if, for example, it's sold.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

They especially might frown upon the zoning being changed to facilitate that.

They might. They might not. They might appreciate the increased property value derived from not living adjacent to a chemical soaked dry cleaning establishment. Or they might not. It's all just speculation. One thing that's certain is that commercial establishments change all of the time.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
If the residents near the restaurant can tolerate the racket coming from the kids that go to the school across the street from the restaurant then the dull drone of outdoor dining should be a cake walk.

Kids don't generally go to school at 10pm, and stand on the sidewalk at 2am, after closing, and hold drunken conversations.

I like having more places in the neighborhood, I'd probably enjoy having this place to visit as well, but I understand that people who bought a house next to a dry cleaner might not really want to see it become a bar. They especially might frown upon the zoning being changed to facilitate that.

It's one thing to buy next to a property knowing full well it is zoned for, and could become a bar. It is another to buy next to a property that is not eligible to have a liquor license and have them be granted a variance.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
If the residents near the restaurant can tolerate the racket coming from the kids that go to the school across the street from the restaurant then the dull drone of outdoor dining should be a cake walk.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
I can't confirm for sure, but I think the restriction for outdoor seating is 10pm. I live right by White Star on Pavonia and the patrons are for the most part very respectful of the neighborhood, same for The Hamilton Inn and GPs. While the prospect of a restaurant with outdoor seating seems threatening, it probably proves less so when executed correctly. The thing that would annoy me more than the white noise of conversation/traffic would be cigarette smoke.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

7thstreeter wrote:
The space seems perfect for outdoor seating - it's got a huge space. Are there limitations on how late diners may be seated outside for neighborhood noise control?

Also, I haven't been by in a while, but isn't the apartment building next door boarded up?

I think there are limits on how late you can sit outside (may be later for restaurant row?) I agree it is perfect for outdoor seating, outdoor seating for a place that is primarily a bar is different that a restaurant. And outdoor seating on a commercial strip is different than next to a residence.

The house immediately behind/next to this spot (that actually shares a wall with the where they want to position the bar) is a single family that is being renovated by the owners.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
The space seems perfect for outdoor seating - it's got a huge space. Are there limitations on how late diners may be seated outside for neighborhood noise control?

Also, I haven't been by in a while, but isn't the apartment building next door boarded up?

Posted on: 2015/1/9 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen the plans (but didn't make the meeting). It is proposed to have a complete wrap around outdoor seating, with planters/ railing along the existing step up to separate it.

The indoor space will be pretty standard with a bar backed up against the wall that is adjacent to the existing home on Erie (which I'm sure makes the resident super happy).

They need the restaurant row extended because they are too close to the school property.

I'm OK with a restaurant there. I can completely see why people, who bought homes in a relatively quiet space, do not want a new bar popping up that literally shares a wall with their house. A bar with outdoor seating? That is a nightmare.

So food seems OK to me. Putting a bar next to existing homes, in a place where there was not one previously... I'd say the neighbors should be a bit pissed.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 14:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Is there anyone who was able to attend this meeting last night and can give any more info about the proposed restaurant space? I wasn't able to attend last night.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 13:09

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017