Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 125

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Article on NYYIMBY on north NJ RE, with much discussion on JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:

Exactly. The HBLR keeps wanting to expand into Bergen County but residents constantly come out against expanding it north.

A lot of people are stupid.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 5:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Most of his assumptions are outright wrong. One of the biggest problems with investing in transit in New Jersey is that local authorities tend to resist upzoning around transit. Even in communities that have adopted modern smart growth plans resist the higher density mixed use developments. These aren't high rises either -- simply 4 and 6 story complexes near existing transit.

Also the author of the article doesn't mention -- and probably doesn't know -- about the Mount Olive court case in New Jersey requiring affordable housing as part of community growth. What's actually kind of amazing is how in suburban and rural New Jersey, developers loved affordable housing as a way of leveraging higher density sprawl into places it didn't belong, like in the watershed that feeds Jersey City and Newark.

This is an interesting quote, though: "In the case of Bergen County, more people moved to New York City than made the reverse migration."

Kind of telling about the future of suburbia.

Exactly. The HBLR keeps wanting to expand into Bergen County but residents constantly come out against expanding it north.

Posted on: 2014/10/15 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Millburn High School teachers are not only well paid, but many supplement their income by private, after school tutoring-which can get them $100/hour from the local parents. As far as Mt. Laurel obligations, feel free to look up what Millburn/Short Hills has done about it.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Mount Laurel hasn't been gutted at all.

The last decision still stands and Christie's attempts to rip apart COAH have failed, obviously, much to chagrin to his campaign bot who posts here.

Short Hills still has to zone to provide affordable housing...womp womp...yes the teachers making 40k that Christie blames for every problem in this state have to live somewhere. Why can't they be more like police union that Christie has no qualms with, and make 100k without a degree to stop 18 year olds in Short Hills from drinking beer, the real bane of Essex County?

But alas, we shouldn't be surprised that Christie fans don't know the law...their own dear leader doesn't know or doesn't care.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
(Besides - the correct answer, if you really weren't a cop was: "Who is Bubba?")

I wasn't going to read any of your silly posts to try and figure that out, lol. No need to waste my time.

But again, bring your cash, name a place, and I'll give you my driver's license and you can google me to your hearts desire. I'm quite well known in my profession in NJ and nationally with plenty of info on the web.

$100. Is your reputation and self respect worth that? Mine is.

Posted on: 2014/10/6 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
(Besides - the correct answer, if you really weren't a cop was: "Who is Bubba?")

Posted on: 2014/10/6 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Methinks the officer doth protest too much. How exactly would that work? You show up in casual clothes and a bad haircut and say "I'm not a cop"?

Posted on: 2014/10/6 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Who is the cop you're referring to? Not me. Your cop obsession with me is a little creepy, especially when I've said several times that I'm not, or ever have been, or indeed worked in any capacity for any state, local, or county (or public) capacity.

I'm a person who pays in to support cops, firemen, teachers, not a person on the taxpayer dime.

Nothing creepy about it, officer. Pretending to be something you aren't is a little bit, though. You live in Short Hills (according to you) and are a friend and co-worker of Bubba's (obvious by your previous posts.) I may not be a detective, but it doesn't take a whole lot to smell the bacon here....

I own in Short Hills, and rent in JC.

I tell you what, how about putting up some $, with the winner giving it to the charity of his choice? Me, I'll give it to Team Walker in BeLa. I'll put up $100, you put up $100, we can meet at a place of your choosing, and I'll end your silly 'Monroe is a cop' obsession and shut your silly pie hole at the same time while giving some of your cash to a needy program.

Deal?

Oh snap.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Who is the cop you're referring to? Not me. Your cop obsession with me is a little creepy, especially when I've said several times that I'm not, or ever have been, or indeed worked in any capacity for any state, local, or county (or public) capacity.

I'm a person who pays in to support cops, firemen, teachers, not a person on the taxpayer dime.

Nothing creepy about it, officer. Pretending to be something you aren't is a little bit, though. You live in Short Hills (according to you) and are a friend and co-worker of Bubba's (obvious by your previous posts.) I may not be a detective, but it doesn't take a whole lot to smell the bacon here....

I own in Short Hills, and rent in JC.

I tell you what, how about putting up some $, with the winner giving it to the charity of his choice? Me, I'll give it to Team Walker in BeLa. I'll put up $100, you put up $100, we can meet at a place of your choosing, and I'll end your silly 'Monroe is a cop' obsession and shut your silly pie hole at the same time while giving some of your cash to a needy program.

Deal?

Posted on: 2014/10/5 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/5 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
because no town should be made to abandon their values or town character.

I'm old enough to remember people believing that as justification for keeping out Jews and Italian-Americans, especially in the tonier WASP suburbs.

Court mandated social engineering is far different from that, of course. And my dad, an Italian-American himself, grew up in a town like that, rose above it, and in the sixties took no end of shit from neighbors when he sold his house in Short Hills to a Jew (who was the principal at Weequahic High School in Newark as I recall). We then moved to a street where we were the only non-Jews on our side of the block. And the first country club we belonged to began as a mid-level club that took in Irish and Italian-Amercan's, because Baltusrol didn't. Dad moved up to a club with a better course, and now his first club is mostly Jewish. Things have changed all around, which is good.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
because no town should be made to abandon their values or town character.

I'm old enough to remember people believing that as justification for keeping out Jews and Italian-Americans, especially in the tonier WASP suburbs.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'm sorry you're offended that I'm pointing out that where you live, young white Trustafarians are pushing out poor people of color but you seem fixated on low income housing in suburban NJ instead! Well, I'm not really sorry, just amused.

Equally weird that a JC cop who lives in the suburbs has nothing better to do than post on an out of town message board ten times a day. No one is listening, dude. Grab a beer and watch some football. Or go arrest some kids making out in a car or something. Whatever it is that gets you off - but this here is just sad.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 10:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I'm sorry you're offended that I'm pointing out that where you live, young white Trustafarians are pushing out poor people of color but you seem fixated on low income housing in suburban NJ instead! Well, I'm not really sorry, just amused.

Equally weird that a JC cop who lives in the suburbs has nothing better to do than post on an out of town message board ten times a day. No one is listening, dude. Grab a beer and watch some football. Or go arrest some kids making out in a car or something. Whatever it is that gets you off - but this here is just sad.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Cool use of slang, man. You are like, so hip to the kids.

As the 'kids' would say, you've been pwned.

Posted on: 2014/10/5 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/4 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/4 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mount Olive?????

Surely you mean Mount Laurel.

And it's been pretty much gutted, thankfully, because no town should be made to abandon their values or town character, especially given that most NJ suburban towns lack cheap mass transit that low income housing residents need to get around, or the jobs those residents would work.

The best part was when suburban towns were able to fund rehab units in other towns, mostly urban, to meet the stupid law requirements.

Just another bit of social engineering by the NJSC, like Abbott, that has failed miserably while raising taxes without results.

I do love how "values" and "character" is usually intended to mean "white" and "white" and also sometimes "white."

Hey, as a blogger living in hipster Brooklyn, in a rent-stabilized apartment, you sure have strong opinions on NJ housing! Can you tell me how the long time residents of Williamsburg feel about the parental supported, PBR drinking young white kids pushing them out over higher rents? How they can't afford shopping when the artisanal coffee kiosks, craft pickle shops, and organic baby clothing shops push out their long time newsstands, bodegas, and corner hardware stores? How their landlords are trying to push them out to re-lease them out with higher rents?

Now that's what you can talk to!

Did someone touch you as a child?

Posted on: 2014/10/4 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mount Olive?????

And it's been pretty much gutted, thankfully, because no town should be made to abandon their values or town character, especially given that most NJ suburban towns lack cheap mass transit that low income housing residents need to get around, or the jobs those residents would work.

The best part was when suburban towns were able to fund rehab units in other towns, mostly urban, to meet the stupid law requirements.

Just another bit of social engineering by the NJSC, like Abbott, that has failed miserably while raising taxes without results.

I do love how "values" and "character" is usually intended to mean "white" and "white" and also sometimes "white."

Hey, as a blogger living in hipster Brooklyn, in a rent-stabilized apartment, you sure have strong opinions on NJ housing! Can you tell me how the long time residents of Williamsburg feel about the parental supported, PBR drinking young white kids pushing them out over higher rents? How they can't afford shopping when the artisanal coffee kiosks, craft pickle shops, and organic baby clothing shops push out their long time newsstands, bodegas, and corner hardware stores? How their landlords are trying to push them out to re-lease them out with higher rents?

Now that's what you can talk to!

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i do agree that abbot scheme has not been successful. ithink the state needs to come down hard on wayward parents who raise wayward children/students. maybe the parents should be required to do community service if their children F_ck up in school.

Sure, although until you regionalize all the school districts, there isn't a better way of balancing school funding. Ironically, its the suburbs in the coming decades that are going to want the abbot districts as the wealth returns to the urban centers. The reality is NJ has more school districts than municipalities, and has too many of both. Until Corzine eliminated them, NJ even had a few school districts that had literally zero students in schools. They existed solely to send students to other districts.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
i do agree that abbot scheme has not been successful. ithink the state needs to come down hard on wayward parents who raise wayward children/students. maybe the parents should be required to do community service if their children F_ck up in school.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mount Olive?????

I never understood the penchant for using first-names. I had to explain to a friend who's wife was named "Carmel" that "Mount Carmel" wasn't an instruction.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Mount Olive?????

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, Mount Laurel. I've confused my mounts.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mount Olive?????

Posted on: 2014/10/4 22:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Most of his assumptions are outright wrong. One of the biggest problems with investing in transit in New Jersey is that local authorities tend to resist upzoning around transit. Even in communities that have adopted modern smart growth plans resist the higher density mixed use developments. These aren't high rises either -- simply 4 and 6 story complexes near existing transit.

Also the author of the article doesn't mention -- and probably doesn't know -- about the Mount Olive court case in New Jersey requiring affordable housing as part of community growth. What's actually kind of amazing is how in suburban and rural New Jersey, developers loved affordable housing as a way of leveraging higher density sprawl into places it didn't belong, like in the watershed that feeds Jersey City and Newark.

This is an interesting quote, though: "In the case of Bergen County, more people moved to New York City than made the reverse migration."

Kind of telling about the future of suburbia.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/2 20:54
Group:
Banned
JGJDNYCJC, re:NYYIMBY on NJ RE & JC, TY.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 14:36

Article on NYYIMBY on north NJ RE, with much discussion on JC
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 11:22
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/4 13:12

[Advanced Search]