Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Fulop sides with Jersey City teachers union in contract dispute
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

It's amazing how 'progressive' people are so opposed to a progressive way to change

shockingly, not every proposed change is progressive. privatization rarely is

And the status quo, with billions of taxpayer dollars wasted, needs to be given more money? With 1/3 of JC students, after a generation of the status quo policies, not graduating?? Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Leading with the status quo is stupid.

Considering that the status quo, as you like to deride it, has brought about great minds throughout history, I don't see what is so bad about it.

Many people are smart enough to know that it isn't the system that is broken. They understand that the problem is in the homes that the children return to once they depart from the school.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 18:24
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

It's amazing how 'progressive' people are so opposed to a progressive way to change

And the status quo, with billions of taxpayer dollars wasted, needs to be given more money? With 1/3 of JC students, after a generation of the status quo policies, not graduating?? Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Leading with the status quo is stupid.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/30 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:

How would it benefit me to be kept out of the loop?

If by publicizing every offer and counter offer, the district loses leverage, you may end up getting a worse deal.

Now, I do not necessarily see the negotiations as a complete zero sum game. So I do not think that a benefit procured by the union is automatically something that is against me as a taxpayer. And I want teachers to be paid competitively so that we attract and retain talent. Nevertheless there is, by nature of the relationship, some adversarial nature to the negotiations. An agreement ultimately has to be presented to the board and publicly voted on. But while it is an interesting idea to have such negotiations completely public, it may hinder an agreement being reached.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
... I do understand that collective bargaining is not done all in public but...

Oh, good, you do understand! Finally someone does. Could you may be explain this to me so that I would understand too?

So, my representative is negotiating on my behalf to procure me some services that will be paid for with my money.

How would it benefit me to be kept out of the loop?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Having your workers out of contract for a year is poor labor relations. Without knowing what the proposals have been and what the sticking points are, I can't say with certainty who is negotiating in bad faith. I do understand that collective bargaining is not done all in public but when a side tries to play to public opinion they should at least explain the issues in dispute. Is this just about the raises or is the issue that the Board wants changes in work rules, etc?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
The Jersey City Education Association, which last year warned its members that Fulop's election as mayor would lead to massive teacher layoffs, has Fulop in its corner in the union's contract dispute with the Board of Education.

Well, apparently, he believes that he is elected by the union to represent their interests.

Anyways, have a question, - imagine we can't find a Democrat who would be willing to stay on our side in all those cases when we need to be represented, do you think you guys may want to try a Republican?

It's amazing how 'progressive' people are so opposed to a progressive way to change the failed education model we've had for generations. It just proves that it's not about the children, it's about entitlements for the NJEA. Protect the union, damn the kids!

Posted on: 2014/6/29 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
The Jersey City Education Association, which last year warned its members that Fulop's election as mayor would lead to massive teacher layoffs, has Fulop in its corner in the union's contract dispute with the Board of Education.

Well, apparently, he believes that he is elected by the union to represent their interests.

Anyways, have a question, - imagine we can't find a Democrat who would be willing to stay on our side in all those cases when we need to be represented, do you think you guys may want to try a Republican?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 5:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 14:03
Group:
Registered Users
I am not for Fulop. He knew what he was getting into when he had those secret meetings with Christie's boy to get the Broad Academy disruptor Marcia Lyles as our Super.

It is all political theater. Meanwhile our kids suffer.

Posted on: 2014/6/27 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
And this is the 'brains trust' of JC education !

Those against are now for fulop and those for are against - No wonder our education is so mismanaged !

Posted on: 2014/6/27 4:33
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Fulop sides with Jersey City teachers union in contract dispute
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop sides with Jersey City teachers union in contract dispute

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
June 26, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Fulop told The Jersey Journal this week that the school district should settle a new contract with the union. Their current contract expired last August.

"That has the potential to explode and be a detriment," the mayor said, calling the lack of a deal "a major concern."

BOE President Sangeeta Ranade declined to discuss the matter at length, saying the BOE "can't negotiate in public." Ranade, who joined the BOE in 2012 as a Fulop ally but whose relationship with the mayor has turned frosty in recent months, said negotiations are between the district and the union, not Fulop.

Read more from the Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/6/27 3:59

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017