Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at HP neighborhood meeting - RFP now being sought
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/11 10:27
Group:
Registered Users
Aug 28, 2014 - Regular Meeting - 6:00 pm Category Facilities Subject Approval to Submit Early Childhood Waiver Application - Cordero School (PS 37) Type Action (Consent)

WHEREAS, in an effort to meet the demands of preschoolers eligible for the Preschool Program and reduce bussing the District relocated four classrooms at Cordero School (PS# 37), located at 158 Erie Street. This resulted in four kindergarten classrooms relocating to rooms 210, 211, 212, and 213 without a toilet room inside the classroom; and

WHEREAS, the kindergarten classrooms do not meet the space requirements, a waiver is required. An application for a waiver must be submitted to the County Superintendent and approved in order to secure a waiver for the 2014-2015 school year, now, therefore:

BE IT RESOLVED, the Jersey City Board of education upon the recommendation of the Superintendent approves the submission of a waiver Application to the Hudson County Office of the Department of Education for four kindergarten classrooms at the Cordero School (PS# 37) for the 2014-2015 school year.

Submitted by: Patricia Bryant, Associate Superintendent

Posted on: 2014/9/9 10:32

Re: Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at HP neighborhood meeting - RFP now being sought
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There has been periodical break-ins of cars around Van Vorst Park. When you complain the cops will say this is a low crime area.

Posted on: 2014/9/9 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
So, where did all those P.S. 37 pre-K'ers end up going to school?

Posted on: 2014/9/9 2:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

My gf used to work at a preK a few blocks away on Ocean. I'd regularly see kids breaking into unattended cars near the school while dropping her off or picking her up. Zero problems inside the school though. The school's probably fine - just don't leave your BMW or Merc outside unattended.

Coincidentally, the only other time I've seen anyone in JC breaking into cars in broad daylight, was a guy in a silver BMW, breaking into a teacher's Honda outside the Golden Door Charter on 9th.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I know the school is in the highest crime area in the city, that area, especially a couple blocks west of the school is similar to zombies on drugs, with guns, in a war zone. Drive through the neighborhood and see what you think. Better yet, be safe and just check out Trulia.com crime heat maps.

Quote:

c1o2m3n4i5m6o wrote:
So it looks like the children are not being sent to PS 22, but to the Early Childhood Center on 70 Claremont Ave. Anyone know anything about the school?

My gf used to work at a preK a few blocks away on Ocean. I'd regularly see kids breaking into unattended cars near the school while dropping her off or picking her up. Zero problems inside the school though. The school's probably fine - just don't leave your BMW or Merc outside unattended.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I know the school is in the highest crime area in the city, that area, especially a couple blocks west of the school is similar to zombies on drugs, with guns, in a war zone. Drive through the neighborhood and see what you think. Better yet, be safe and just check out Trulia.com crime heat maps.

Quote:

c1o2m3n4i5m6o wrote:
So it looks like the children are not being sent to PS 22, but to the Early Childhood Center on 70 Claremont Ave. Anyone know anything about the school?

Posted on: 2014/6/18 2:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/18 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Does anyone know where I can learn about the pre-k process and what options are available to JC residents?

There's a Jersey City Moms group that is probably a good bet:

http://www.meetup.com/jerseycitymoms/

Unfortunately my anatomy is such that I don't fit in with this group.

In that you could reach out to them and they would likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Good point.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:
Does anyone know where I can learn about the pre-k process and what options are available to JC residents?

In that you could reach out to them and they would likely be able to point you in the right direction.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/17 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProdigalSon wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/17 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/17 15:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/16 19:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/17 14:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I had the same concerns as others about having to put a 3 year old on a bus. As it turns out our daughter was able to get into one of the spaces downtown. But I know plenty of families that sent their kids on the bus to P.S. 22 in Lafayette. It becomes a non-issue after a couple of weeks.

Having said that, I do not think it will be a major issue. Suffice it to say that there is probably downtown space that can be used even if the Annex is not given over to P.S. 37.

I think you are right Josh. And I don't think there's a huge degree of separation between the City and the BOE, on finding ways to resolve this issue that benefits everyone.

To the HPNA I'd say - how about you read your own mission statement? You seem to be simply backing the BOE and the interests of a vocal minority in HP, and putting down opposing views. This is not the same HPNA that drove the redevelopment of Hamilton Park by soliciting input and trying to accommodate the needs of everyone in the neighborhood.

Perhaps the HPNA would do better to champion the cause of returning the Golden Door property as community space. At least take the trouble to ask us what we want instead of telling us.

http://hpnajc.org/About.html
Quote:

Mission
The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association's mission is to serve the interests and needs of residents by promoting a cleaner and safer neighborhood, uniting residents in common causes, cooperating with city government, acting as a sounding board for the opinions of residents, representing local residents at city meetings, and serving the interests of the citizenry of downtown Jersey City.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 10:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think that the test scores are obviously based on the older students but I believe that the leadership reflected by those results will be consistent throughout the school and it's competency in handling all students.

Quote:

fraulein wrote:
I'm not really sure how relevant test scores are to the discussion. Pre-k kids are essentially learning structure, how to socialize and the basics of elementary education, not the theory of relativity.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
I'm not really sure how relevant test scores are to the discussion. Pre-k kids are essentially learning structure, how to socialize and the basics of elementary education, not the theory of relativity.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PatersonPlankton wrote:
Greatschools is useless garbage, has no scientific sample and is widely considered a joke.

As for your disparaging and potentially racist comments about the other neighborhoods in Jersey City, truly go to hell. You clearly know nothing about these places - the Heights, for example, has some of the best elementary schools in Jersey City (including P.S. 28 which has a recent Milken Award winner teaching there and P.S. 8 which has an outstanding school community).

But thanks for exposing/confirming the downtown attitude for all to see.

Milken Award? Better watch out, we have some here who would FREAK out to know that the noted junk bond corporate raider is funding educational awards! What's his angle? How can he profit from this?? :)

Posted on: 2014/6/7 1:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/5 1:47
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the tips on form, but I don't need them. I may be a newbie here but I am certainly not new at dealing with ignorant dopes. Also, I like how you don't respond to the content of my reply, instead offering a "clever" bit of nothing.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Pipe down newbie, you shouldn't accuse people of being racist it's bad form.

Quote:

PatersonPlankton wrote:
Greatschools is useless garbage, has no scientific sample and is widely considered a joke.

As for your disparaging and potentially racist comments about the other neighborhoods in Jersey City, truly go to hell. You clearly know nothing about these places - the Heights, for example, has some of the best elementary schools in Jersey City (including P.S. 28 which has a recent Milken Award winner teaching there and P.S. 8 which has an outstanding school community).

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/5 1:47
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/7 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You think my 3 year old will be snooty for going to paid preschool? You call me stuck up, at least I don't have my head stuck up my ass. Quote:

tern wrote:
mwa you are just the stuck up parent that gives all us downtowners a bad name, please do take your kids to private school as you threaten, from where they will likely turn out as snooty as you.

As Monroe points out, you are at least self aware, the rest of the complainers undoubtedly share your views but are dishonest regarding their motivations.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
"internetzed"? Clearly it's better for me to take subjective recommendations from bias parents who have kids in the school rather than a scientific and objective approach based on test scores. You should read the internet sometime you might learn a thing or two. My kid would be at Cornelia F. Bradford No. 16, which has a great score of 7. If he doesn't get in then we will pay for private school.

I originally wanted to send my child to P.S. 16 and that was in fact one of the reasons we moved where we did. I ended up instead sending her to P.S. 3, which only has a "3" on the "great schools" website but has implemented a dual language program, has extremely involved parents looking to improve the school, and a modern school building. I am extremely happy with the decision.

P.S. 16's test scores are generally higher because it services a better off demographic. And in any event standardized tests (which don't even start until the 3rd grade) are not the be all and end all of a good school, notwithstanding some politician's attempts to make it so.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
mwa you are just the stuck up parent that gives all us downtowners a bad name, please do take your kids to private school as you threaten, from where they will likely turn out as snooty as you.

As Monroe points out, you are at least self aware, the rest of the complainers undoubtedly share your views but are dishonest regarding their motivations.

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Absolutely kick-ass review of ps 22 from http://www.greatschools.org/new-jerse ... ws#schoolReviewSubmitForm

Quote:

Posted November 1, 2003
Report it
i love ps.22 my i go there iam in 8th grade and that school did a pretty job getting my head on right.

Some other recent reviews of PS 22 from the same site.

Quote:

Posted July 25, 2013
Report it
Ps 22 always had a bad review. When i first learned ( pre k) my daughter was routed to ps 22 from ps3 I cried .....the board of ed said no exceptions....as a working parent i hardly visited ps 22 i only did one day a week and as time pass by i realized the school is not bad is some parents and i learned is not the school you attented is what you get out of it. My daughter was in 22 from prek till 5 th grade. No regrets. An honor student. All her teachers were great. A lesson learned.
?Submitted by a parent

Write your own review
Posted January 26, 2013
Report it
My 4 year old son is being bussed to PS 22 from Ps 11, and my son loves being in PS 22. His teachers Mrs. Minervini and Mr. Lemise are the best teachers. They are so sof spoken and very approachable and they make the students very comfortable. My son enjoys every minute in this school and he adores Mrs. Minervini. This is the best thing that happened to him,though I was a little worried about sending him by bus as this is his very first time. But now he has a truly wonderful experience and his teachers are THE BEST. Thank you teachers for taking such good care of the kids and for teaching them all the good values.Truly a wonderful experience for my son.
?Submitted by a parent

Write your own review
Posted August 25, 2012
Report it
Our daughter was bussed to PS22 from PS16 for her Pre-K3 year. Initially we were wary of the school due to the reviews online, but we found a few parents from previous PreK3 students and they were happy with the school so proceeded. Our daughter had a great year, she really liked her teachers & made some good friends. There were some interesting field trips too. All the staff we met were friendly and dedicated. We met most of the parents at a few events (and bus stop) but would have to say we didn't hear from the PTA at all. Most of the other children were very nice but there were some disruptive kids around. Originally we did hope to go to PS3 for the year with its new buildings, but we probably prefer ps22 now. There is a nice large park next to the school where the class went to play every nice day. PS3 also has portable rooms out the back which you dont see at first glance. So PS22 isn't the world's best school, but for Pre-K at least, dont write it off, we were very happy how our daughter enjoyed it..
?Submitted by a parent

Posted on: 2014/6/6 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"internetzed"? Clearly it's better for me to take subjective recommendations from bias parents who have kids in the school rather than a scientific and objective approach based on test scores. You should read the internet sometime you might learn a thing or two. My kid would be at Cornelia F. Bradford No. 16, which has a great score of 7. If he doesn't get in then we will pay for private school.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Ps 22 is rated a 2 out of 10 and performs better than only 8% of schools in NJ. You may be comfortable with it and everyone has their own threshold for acceptability but let's be clear, this is not a good school, if fact, it's a terrible one.

I'z internetzed it! It must be true!

The Pre-K program was fine. This is from people who attended it, as opposed to people who looked at the "Great Schools" Ranking.

For what it's worth (NOTHING). Cordero is rated a 3 out of 10 on that site.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
Ps 22 is rated a 2 out of 10 and performs better than only 8% of schools in NJ. You may be comfortable with it and everyone has their own threshold for acceptability but let's be clear, this is not a good school, if fact, it's a terrible one.

I'z internetzed it! It must be true!

The Pre-K program was fine. This is from people who attended it, as opposed to people who looked at the "Great Schools" Ranking.

For what it's worth (NOTHING). Cordero is rated a 3 out of 10 on that site.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
I had the same concerns as others about having to put a 3 year old on a bus. As it turns out our daughter was able to get into one of the spaces downtown. But I know plenty of families that sent their kids on the bus to P.S. 22 in Lafayette. It becomes a non-issue after a couple of weeks.

Having said that, I do not think it will be a major issue. Suffice it to say that there is probably downtown space that can be used even if the Annex is not given over to P.S. 37.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is no way I am going to take the effort to raise signatures for some sort of ballot requirement. I think you are missing my point. Good luck developing the rest of the city, call me in 2095 when that's all done. Here's a tip, you might want to start with the open air drug markets and tearing down the boarded buildings.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
For me it's not so much about the bus, although I believe that it is inherently not safe for a 3 year to be in a vehicle without a car seat or restraint system, it's about sending the kids downtown to the shit ass neighborhoods in the rest of the city. I would rather pay the 14-20K a year to put my kid in private daycare than send him to The Heights, Greenville, Journal Square, West Side or whatever other shit hole they want to send them.
Fulop knows this and that's why he doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Bottom line!

Bingo! Thanks for your honesty.

Fulop as mayor represents all of JC, and it's the rest of JC that doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Fulop ran on a platform of shifting more development and investment from downtown to other wards. He's simply delivering on that promise.

If you think he's not representing the best interests of JC, raise the required signatures, put the issue on the ballot, and let the chips fall where they may.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
For me it's not so much about the bus, although I believe that it is inherently not safe for a 3 year to be in a vehicle without a car seat or restraint system, it's about sending the kids downtown to the shit ass neighborhoods in the rest of the city. I would rather pay the 14-20K a year to put my kid in private daycare than send him to The Heights, Greenville, Journal Square, West Side or whatever other shit hole they want to send them.
Fulop knows this and that's why he doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Bottom line!

Bingo! Thanks for your honesty.

Fulop as mayor represents all of JC, and it's the rest of JC that doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Fulop ran on a platform of shifting more development and investment from downtown to other wards. He's simply delivering on that promise.

If you think he's not representing the best interests of JC, raise the required signatures, put the issue on the ballot, and let the chips fall where they may.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 3:08

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017