Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Drainage System in JC?/Dealing with corporate LLs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
As for rainfall, the top was left off a Rubbermaid trash can here, and I measured 9". Scrape at least an inch off for the way the can tapers, but still, that's a lot of rain.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=105915

The 7" one (7.5" actually) was the one Healy called the 1 in 100 year storm back in 2007, based on the amount of rainfall. If we got 8" that's pretty impressive. More impressive was the fact there was almost no street flooding in NW downtown, except for a few inches under the bridges north of Tenth Street - which is usually a lake after heavy rainfall. They laid new wider sewer pipes on most of the cross streets west of HP last summer. On the evidence of this storm, looks like they helped greatly.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
So what can homeowners do? My basement flooded a bit last night - a few inches in a portion. I am planning on installing a sump pump this summer, but ideally, I'd like to stop the flooding before it happens. I know we can install a backflow preventer, but that is several thousand dollars to do right, which I'm not dying to spend right now. Do I just need to wait for the sewers to get fixed?

I invested in both a backflow preventer and sump pumps. $$$$ but it was worth sleeping at night every time it rained hard. Oh wait, I sold the place 'cause no matter what, living in DTJC + heavy rain = sleepless nights.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
So what can homeowners do? My basement flooded a bit last night - a few inches in a portion.

Is it groundwater or are you getting sewerage backing up?

If it is groundwater a French drain and sump will probably take care of the issue.

Unfortunately, given the decrepit state of the sewers, it's all one and the same. What squirts from my foundation is sewer water that leaked out and through the street fill.

As for rainfall, the top was left off a Rubbermaid trash can here, and I measured 9". Scrape at least an inch off for the way the can tapers, but still, that's a lot of rain.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
So what can homeowners do? My basement flooded a bit last night - a few inches in a portion.

Is it groundwater or are you getting sewerage backing up?

If it is groundwater a French drain and sump will probably take care of the issue.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
So what can homeowners do? My basement flooded a bit last night - a few inches in a portion. I am planning on installing a sump pump this summer, but ideally, I'd like to stop the flooding before it happens. I know we can install a backflow preventer, but that is several thousand dollars to do right, which I'm not dying to spend right now. Do I just need to wait for the sewers to get fixed?

Posted on: 2014/5/1 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014 ... html#incart_river_default

The actual rainfall figure for JC isn't given, but based on the surrounding towns (Elizabeth, Newark, Harrison), it was likely between 5-6". The worst number I can recall was around 7", so Brewster is right - outside of a major storm hitting, this was as bad as it gets.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
I know the JCMUA has some new pumping stations in the works. I don't recall the project's scope in detail though.

The only real solution is to build a surge storage system (Atlanta is doing this). It is very expensive.

Tokyo has a really impressive system.

http://paradoxoff.com/tokyo-flood-tun ... 80%93-g-cans-project.html

JC will have to do something. In the past, rain induced surges were just pumped or dumped (via over-flow ports) into the river. The EPA is threatening Jersey City with fines if this practice is not stopped.

I don't think this can be stopped anytime in the foreseeable future, as you note there's not enough plant capacity, no storage, and no plans to separate the sanitary and storm. The new pumps here and in Hoboken pump to the river.

Kim, one of the reason we flood is high tides associated with storms, even though last night's was a mild surge, it still leaves nowhere for an overcharged sewer system to go, it just fills, if you're on a low lying street, it fills the street. On a brighter note, short of a Sandy like actual saltwater in the streets occurrence or hyper rain like Irene, last night is usually about as bad as it normally gets.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kim wrote:
Thanks. This lack of infrastructure planning by the administration has me concerned. New parks and pedestrian plazas are great, but I'd rather the money go into less sexy projects like a surge storage system.

So would I. However, thanks to the Passaic Valley Sewage Commission, our sewer rates are already obscene (45% increase a few years ago). I am not sure where the money is going to come from to fix the issue. It's not just the surge issue. The sewers need to be re-lined / repaired. Many are pre Civil War brick and are not in the best condition.

On my street, I had three sections of storm drain that were partially or completely collapsed. To the JCMUA's credit, they did respond to my emails and fixed the problems. One required them to dig up the street by hand and another they installed a bypass pipe. The also cleared a lot of debris out of the sewer. My sewer backup issues aren't nearly as bad now.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 16:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/21 13:17
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks. This lack of infrastructure planning by the administration has me concerned. New parks and pedestrian plazas are great, but I'd rather the money go into less sexy projects like a surge storage system.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 16:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I know the JCMUA has some new pumping stations in the works. I don't recall the project's scope in detail though.

The only real solution is to build a surge storage system (Atlanta is doing this). It is very expensive.

Tokyo has a really impressive system.

http://paradoxoff.com/tokyo-flood-tun ... 80%93-g-cans-project.html

JC will have to do something. In the past, rain induced surges were just pumped or dumped (via over-flow ports) into the river. The EPA is threatening Jersey City with fines if this practice is not stopped.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 15:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, I didn't realize they were combined. I am not trying to pull a "gotcha," but just trying to figure out what they're saying is correct. Last week I found out that a permit they told me was held up in red tape never got filed so now I feel like I need to question everything. It's just such a drag.

As an aside, do you know if anything is being done (or if anything can be done -- I know little about these things) to deal with the situation if another Sandy-like storm should hit, given our recent population influx? If it was this bad last night,
I shudder to think what would happen with a "real" storm

Posted on: 2014/5/1 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC like most old cities has a combined storm water and sewer system. There is only so much capacity available to pump that water under the Hackensack to the treatment plant on the other side of the river.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 15:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for letting me know! I hate that I have to verify all their statements to me at this point so I appreciate your reply. Looking at their Yelp reviews, this neglect is endemic to the company (locally, anyway).

Posted on: 2014/5/1 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Yeah, everything was backed up. There was too much water going into the storm drains to allow residential sewage to empty out. We had almost 6" of water in the back at one point. Last time it happened was June of last year, when we had a lot of crazy rain for a few days.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 14:47

Drainage System in JC?/Dealing with corporate LLs

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Did anyone else deal with their outside drains backing up yesterday (ie, brownstone/single family)? We got very close to flooding last night because ours wasn't working. My LL told me the entire city's drainage was backed up, causing no drains to work. This, frankly, smacks of bullshit to me so wondering if anyone else faced it.
As an aside, I've been a JC renter for many years and this is the first time I've dealt with a mega corporate landlord (as opposed to a local property manager/landlord). I highly caution people against it if there's the choice. I won't go down the laundry list because they are too identifiable to anyone Downtown, but unless it's a hair on fire emergency, nothing gets done. The building looks like a squat -- which would be okay if I paid squatter's prices. Now people are dumping their garbage (and not just the odd soda can) because the building looks dilapidated.
I grew up in a city and so while I get people tossing an empty..whatever as they pass by, we're talking garbage-garbage. It's frustrating because my husband and I are good tenants -- pay our rent a day early, not loud, don't cause damage, do what we reasonably can to make the place nice. Our last apartment's landlord was elderly and lived in Chelsea, so we'd do the weeding out front, etc. Now we're counting the days until we can vacate this place. Sorry this got rant-y....just frustrated.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 14:30

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017