Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
151 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Nope, he will never make it through the Republican primary election
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Chris Christie would be a great president since he tells you what's up and doesn't try to BS you with lies. I hope he runs and stays the same as he is now. I will certainly vote for him if he does except if he caves in to tea baggers who are the biggest hypocrites in the world. Working in the military I have learned that a lot of the small government conservatives around the nation depend a lot on the government for their paychecks since the military is apparently socially acceptable welfare for many people and states. I've seen so much fraud, waste, and abuse in the military it ins't even funny. And the biggest supporters of wasting money on stuff we don't need in the military are republicans and red states. I think the Obama president has failed because the Republican party has refused to work with him at all. They paint him as the worst president ever which is hilarious since the reason he can't get much done is because of them.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 8:19
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another extremist, untrue statement.

If you don?t think the Republican Party has a problem with minorities, I?ve a tunnel to Manhattan that I?d like to sell you?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
There are many on the looney left who say Republican money machine wants illegal aliens to provide cheap labor, of course.

I am not of the mind that this is a way to squeeze cheap labor. You?re need to pinhole me into your narrow world view is rather funny.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In any case, supporting the interests of American citizens over benefits for illegal aliens is patriotic and not hateful by anyone's standard, except for self hating Americans I would say.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As for his weight, he's gradually slimming down nicely and will be in fighting shape by the time the primaries arrive; being overweight is the norm in the US and could likely be a plus with the voting populace. Past drug use and a candidate smoking hasn't stopped previous POTUS candidates either. His struggles with his weight only makes him more human and identifiable with the voters.

You are fooling yourself if you think his weight isn?t an issue. He?s disgusting. I don?t know a single person that looks at him and thinks otherwise.

Prior drug use? smoking? in the television age, our presidents have all had a level of attractiveness. Christie looks like a guy that should be doing Arbie?s or White Castle commercials.

Mike Huckabee was the same way, only not nearly as fat. He would gain weight and then start trimming down towards the election cycle. It made for a great story. The difference is that Huckabee lost it by doing real work. Our governor did it the way lazy rich people do: surgery.

The man has money. I?d respect him more if he went on a real diet and got a personal trainer and there are many that feel this way.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
(To support the above, you only have to look at the consensus he created in NJ with his appeal to women, minorities, Democrats, and independents last November-in an overwhelmingly Blue state).

As mentioned above? the guy ran unopposed with a massive war chest (not to mention using the state money to plaster his face in ads during an election year or spending additional money so that Booker wasn?t on the ballot).

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
...you only have to look at the consensus he created in NJ with his appeal to women, minorities, Democrats, and independents last November-in an overwhelmingly Blue state.

He ran unopposed last November. Nothing to be gleaned from that.

But he ran against someone whose base mimics the landslide victory base of the 'progressive' looney left new mayor DiBlasio. The same principles of 'tax the rich even more', 'free' preschool and afterschool care, race bait and class divide, income redistribution hopes, and trying to create a feeling that income disparity needs to be corrected by governmental interference rather than free market uplifting.

But Christie's common sense and bi-partisan approach to governance trumped it all, across gender, race, party, and income level.

Now that?s some serious Kool-Aid drinking! DiBlasio won because he was largely unopposed. The same for Christie.

As for your need to add ?looney left? every time you talk about a Democrat? just shows how unlevel-headed you truly are.
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
To compare a second term Governor with a long list of bi-partisan accomplishments (in a Blue state) vs a one term Senator with nothing signature to stand on (except a history of flip flopping of philosophies that became apparent when he became POTUS) is at best silly, and at worst disingenuous.

Bi-partisan reform on healthcare funding. Check.
Bi-partisan reform on local tax increases. Check.
Bi-partisan reform on teacher tenure. Check.
Bi-partisan reform on treatment for non-violent drug offenders. Check.
Bi-partisan Dream Act. Check.
Sandy. Double check.
Best job growth in a decade. Check.
Beginning to put billions into state pensions after years and years of no contributions. Check, but can do better.
Beginning to reign in autonomous authorities like the Passaic Valley Sewer and the Delaware River Port. Check, but my biggest disappointment is (traffic cones issue not withstanding) his so far hands off attitude to the Port Authority, which he co-governs with Democrat Cuomo.

So, he's liked because he's a doer, not a talker. And he knows a deal where both sides hold their noses with one hand while signing it with the other is usually the one that benefits the taxpayers the most.

And you know what? If elected, Mrs. Clinton will do a much better job of that than the POTUS we have now. The 'signature' accomplishment, Obamacare, is the result of a totally partisan piece of legislation-and it's all on him and the Democrats, lock, stock, and 'you can keep your doctor and your healthplan' barrel.

You need to back up the ?best job growth in a decade.? Links.

Robbing from the public workers to put money back in the pensions after the state stole that money in the first place isn?t an accomplishment. It?s theft.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
This Wall Street journal article and subsequent analysis perfectly explains how Obama and the gang have locked in national elections in perpetuity. Christie has a "fat chance" indeed, as would anyone not courting the lowest common denominator (those dependent on the government), which unfortunately is becoming the majority. I swear, Barry really IS the second coming of Jesus. Leading the poor and unwashed masses to the Promised Land.

Link to analysis

"What this really represents is the Obama Administration's determination to come up with any excuse, now matter how implausible, to avoid admitting its policies are responsible for the poor economy. This is partly, but not entirely, explained by the usual politician's impulse to deny he made a mistake. The bigger issue, though, is that the Obama Administration's economic policies have a broader political objective, which is to consolidate federal power in as many aspects of society as possible. That is what allows them to enlarge the permanent government-client class that will always vote Democrat because it depends on that government check to survive. Mitt Romney was right about the 47 percent, and the Obama Administration's goal is to make it a majority. That's how Democrats can stay in office forever."

Wow talk about crazyland!

Yeah, Democrats are looking to make people poor?

I?ll also point out that you don?t know the difference between an article and an op-ed.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Fail. By every account, he's been the most partisan POTUS in ages when it comes to not reaching out across the aisle. In fact, many Democrats find him insular and aloof to members of his own party who don't walk lockstep with him.

Prove it with a Link to actual evidence.

The more you post the more clown-like you get.

Pebbles, better a clown nose than a dunce cap. First, what is a 'problem with minorities' exactly? The kind of problem like Obama has? Seen the unemployment numbers for minorities with Obama? Or the poverty level under Obama? Has he made any gains in his time as POTUS?

Fat people are 'disgusting'? Really? You pigeonhole people because of their appearance? Do you know obesity is considered a disease? Are mentally ill people disgusting to you? People with drug addictions? Do your fat friends know you think they are disgusting?

And medical attention isn't a good way to take care of a problem? Would you hold it against Obama if he used acupuncture to help him stop smoking? Hypnosis?? Can Mrs. Clinton, say, not use Botox or color her hair to make her more presentable? Or wear Spanx??

Massive war chest? This isn't the days of Frank Hague and the Democratic machine (although Christie won every county except Hudson and Essex). No, his bi-partisan approach appealed across party, racial, gender, and economic lines. And what's scaring you is that his national popularity is trending in a similar manner.

Here is the non-partisan politifact backing my claim on job growth. If you don't agree please provide a similar link by a non-partisan group. (The part about job creation is in the second half of the story, btw).

http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/ ... outs-balanced-budgets-jo/

Finally, obviously there can't be a statistic about insular and silo'd management by the POTUS. But the fact that the single largest piece of legislation ever introduced was done without a single bi-partisan vote, snuck in by a procedural manoeuver, that controls almost 20% of the GDP, massaged with Chicago style back room deals-it speaks for itself. Well, the fact that so many Democrats (you know, the ones coming up for mid term elections) are running away from it should tell you about the kind of deals that are made when bi-partisanship gets ignored.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
And pebble, you lost a lot of credibility on here suggesting The Beacon isn't in a completely sh*tty neighborhood. Talk about Kool Aid drinking, Brooklyn bridge buying craziness! Whoooo!

Posted on: 2014/1/7 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Nice way to deflect with your straw man rebuttal ;) but you haven't provided a sound response to prove that isn't the democrats strategy, Pebble.

It's genius really. Make people dependent on government, permanently, and be known for such so they vote to keep it gojng. Why would any of those 47%ers (and soon to be 48, 49, 50....) vote republican ever again? That tide only moves in one direction: larger and larger.

Again, It really is genius, and I'm not being sarcastic about it. I'm only bummed the right didn't think of it first. But then again, they wouldn't be conservatives if they did.

And yes I know the difference between an op Ed and an article. That was posted on the run. Don't use subtle nuances as the core of your counter argument, for which I'm sure you have some elaborate novel. I'm not always at my desk waiting for the next response like some of you people on here.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Another extremist, untrue statement.

If you don?t think the Republican Party has a problem with minorities, I?ve a tunnel to Manhattan that I?d like to sell you?

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
There are many on the looney left who say Republican money machine wants illegal aliens to provide cheap labor, of course.

I am not of the mind that this is a way to squeeze cheap labor. You?re need to pinhole me into your narrow world view is rather funny.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In any case, supporting the interests of American citizens over benefits for illegal aliens is patriotic and not hateful by anyone's standard, except for self hating Americans I would say.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
As for his weight, he's gradually slimming down nicely and will be in fighting shape by the time the primaries arrive; being overweight is the norm in the US and could likely be a plus with the voting populace. Past drug use and a candidate smoking hasn't stopped previous POTUS candidates either. His struggles with his weight only makes him more human and identifiable with the voters.

You are fooling yourself if you think his weight isn?t an issue. He?s disgusting. I don?t know a single person that looks at him and thinks otherwise.

Prior drug use? smoking? in the television age, our presidents have all had a level of attractiveness. Christie looks like a guy that should be doing Arbie?s or White Castle commercials.

Mike Huckabee was the same way, only not nearly as fat. He would gain weight and then start trimming down towards the election cycle. It made for a great story. The difference is that Huckabee lost it by doing real work. Our governor did it the way lazy rich people do: surgery.

The man has money. I?d respect him more if he went on a real diet and got a personal trainer and there are many that feel this way.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
(To support the above, you only have to look at the consensus he created in NJ with his appeal to women, minorities, Democrats, and independents last November-in an overwhelmingly Blue state).

As mentioned above? the guy ran unopposed with a massive war chest (not to mention using the state money to plaster his face in ads during an election year or spending additional money so that Booker wasn?t on the ballot).

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
...you only have to look at the consensus he created in NJ with his appeal to women, minorities, Democrats, and independents last November-in an overwhelmingly Blue state.

But he ran against someone whose base mimics the landslide victory base of the 'progressive' looney left new mayor DiBlasio. The same principles of 'tax the rich even more', 'free' preschool and afterschool care, race bait and class divide, income redistribution hopes, and trying to create a feeling that income disparity needs to be corrected by governmental interference rather than free market uplifting.

But Christie's common sense and bi-partisan approach to governance trumped it all, across gender, race, party, and income level.

Now that?s some serious Kool-Aid drinking! DiBlasio won because he was largely unopposed. The same for Christie.

As for your need to add ?looney left? every time you talk about a Democrat? just shows how unlevel-headed you truly are.
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
To compare a second term Governor with a long list of bi-partisan accomplishments (in a Blue state) vs a one term Senator with nothing signature to stand on (except a history of flip flopping of philosophies that became apparent when he became POTUS) is at best silly, and at worst disingenuous.

Sandy. Double check.
Beginning to put billions into state pensions after years and years of no contributions. Check, but can do better.
Beginning to reign in autonomous authorities like the Passaic Valley Sewer and the Delaware River Port. Check, but my biggest disappointment is (traffic cones issue not withstanding) his so far hands off attitude to the Port Authority, which he co-governs with Democrat Cuomo.

So, he's liked because he's a doer, not a talker. And he knows a deal where both sides hold their noses with one hand while signing it with the other is usually the one that benefits the taxpayers the most.

And you know what? If elected, Mrs. Clinton will do a much better job of that than the POTUS we have now. The 'signature' accomplishment, Obamacare, is the result of a totally partisan piece of legislation-and it's all on him and the Democrats, lock, stock, and 'you can keep your doctor and your healthplan' barrel.

You need to back up the ?best job growth in a decade.? Links.

Robbing from the public workers to put money back in the pensions after the state stole that money in the first place isn?t an accomplishment. It?s theft.

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
This Wall Street journal article and subsequent analysis perfectly explains how Obama and the gang have locked in national elections in perpetuity. Christie has a "fat chance" indeed, as would anyone not courting the lowest common denominator (those dependent on the government), which unfortunately is becoming the majority. I swear, Barry really IS the second coming of Jesus. Leading the poor and unwashed masses to the Promised Land.

Link to analysis

"What this really represents is the Obama Administration's determination to come up with any excuse, now matter how implausible, to avoid admitting its policies are responsible for the poor economy. This is partly, but not entirely, explained by the usual politician's impulse to deny he made a mistake. The bigger issue, though, is that the Obama Administration's economic policies have a broader political objective, which is to consolidate federal power in as many aspects of society as possible. That is what allows them to enlarge the permanent government-client class that will always vote Democrat because it depends on that government check to survive. Mitt Romney was right about the 47 percent, and the Obama Administration's goal is to make it a majority. That's how Democrats can stay in office forever."

Wow talk about crazyland!

Yeah, Democrats are looking to make people poor?

I?ll also point out that you don?t know the difference between an article and an op-ed.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Fail. By every account, he's been the most partisan POTUS in ages when it comes to not reaching out across the aisle. In fact, many Democrats find him insular and aloof to members of his own party who don't walk lockstep with him.

Prove it with a Link to actual evidence.

The more you post the more clown-like you get.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 3:33
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
First, counting people who have a shopping cart in Obamacare as enrolled is voodoo accounting.

Second, we have no information on how many of those have enrolled in Medicare.

Third, we don't have any information how many of the healthy 20-40 years olds have enrolled-which is necessary for the system to work.

Fourth, the polls show, every week, that the vast majority of Americans hate it-and it will explode more when the corporate mandate rolls in.

Fifth, Obama's promise of keeping your insurance, your doctor, and a $2,500 hundred dollar yearly saving for the average family has been proven to be a lie-yes, he's apologized for lying about it.

So, yes, the Republicans predicted this clusterf**k and opposed it. You're right on one point!

Posted on: 2014/1/7 0:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
on obamacare, sure the rollout was rocky but the rersult is that more than 2 millon more people have coverage. what did the GOP do? nada except propose that individuals get subsidies so that they can go out and buy EXPENSIVE individual plans.

its interesting tha republicans always claim to be good at controlling spending, but spending rises dramatically under Republicans

Posted on: 2014/1/7 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's Oz, like when Obama tried to say it wasn't his staff's idea to come up with the sequester! Oopsie!

Or when Republicans had no part in Obamacare, although that turned out to be a good thing for them. Oopsie! He got everything he asked for, and it turned out to be a nightmare!

Everything! And he needed to make deal after deal to sell it, and pass it through a little known 'reconciliation' dodge.

And it's a nightmare, with no one to blame but himself.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 23:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The problem for Obama has been a refusal to reach across the aisle to ANY Republicans, not just the Tea Party folks.

That last statement always makes me chuckle.

Yup. Obama has reached across the aisle plenty, the problem is the GOP wasn't on the other side, it was huddled against the opposite wall with it's back to him.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/ ... -to-compromise-wit/196189

Yeah, they really stick by their "talking points". Just say he won't cave..er I mean compromise. Carry that water boys.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 23:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Is that why many prominent democrats were quoted saying the reason they finally got a longer term budget in place is because Barry was too busy to interfere?

Posted on: 2014/1/6 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
The problem for Obama has been a refusal to reach across the aisle to ANY Republicans, not just the Tea Party folks.

Yup. Obama has reached across the aisle plenty, the problem is the GOP wasn't on the other side, it was huddled against the opposite wall with it's back to him.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/10/ ... -to-compromise-wit/196189

Posted on: 2014/1/6 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Vigilante, which Republican voted for Obamacare, his 'signature' accomplishment that he squeaked by with a procedural motion, that now manages 1/6th of the US economy? Just how many Republicans were reached out to across the aisle? Did Obama make deals with them the way he did with unions, Mary Landrieu, and North Dakota to get that passed?

Oh, the Republicans were watching on CSpan. Oops, they couldn't, it wasn't televised as promised.

I think what you are trying to say is not "he won't negotiate" but instead "he won't do what WE want". The G.O.P. is run by clowns being menaced by midget patriots.

http://theweek.com/article/index/2507 ... otiating-with-republicans

So if he won't play nice with members of his own party who disagree at times with him, how's that going to work with Republicans?

But, sorta getting back to the issue of the thread, can you point to ANYTHING he's done that can be pointed to as a bi-partisan success, like Christie has proved working with the Democratic Legislation in a Blue state?

And, as cone gate continues to be fluffed by the Star Ledger and a few unknown NJ Democrats, it got me to thinking-did Mayor Fulop take clues from the Port Authority themselves when he called for a retaliatory 'safety inspection' two months after cone gate?

Where is the NJ legislature transportation committee investigation into this? Oopsie!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013 ... rsey_city_harassment.html

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Vigilante, which Republican voted for Obamacare, his 'signature' accomplishment that he squeaked by with a procedural motion, that now manages 1/6th of the US economy? Just how many Republicans were reached out to across the aisle? Did Obama make deals with them the way he did with unions, Mary Landrieu, and North Dakota to get that passed?

Oh, the Republicans were watching on CSpan. Oops, they couldn't, it wasn't televised as promised.

I think what you are trying to say is not "he won't negotiate" but instead "he won't do what WE want". The G.O.P. is run by clowns being menaced by midget patriots.

http://theweek.com/article/index/2507 ... otiating-with-republicans

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/6 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Monroe and Gravey, you guys are trying to convince the wrong people here. Christie's biggest problem is those in his own party. You talk about how he is the logical candidate but you now need to convince the illogical looney right-wingers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/nyr ... e-partys-savior.html?_r=0

With all due respect to Monroe's summary of Christie's accomplishments (and truth be told, if it weren't for his opposition to allowing gay people to marry I would have voted for him for Governor) the Times article says it all. The small % that is the Republican base absolutely has the party by the short hairs, and these people live in insular, older, white, "christian" communities, and are driven overwhelmingly by their fear of change, and will not see Christie's accomplishments. Remember, the Republican base put people like Bachman and Cruz into office! Does anyone REALLY think they are capable of of taking the leap for some like the governor of a densely populated, ethnically diverse, religiouosly pluralistic state like NJ?

I'm not worried about the far right co-opting a President Christie. Look at how unhappy the looney left is over Obama and the promises he offered while candidate Obama and ignored while POTUS Obama-closing Gitmo, reining in the Patriot Act, etc. Now he has the NSA spying on Congressmen? You think the ACLU is happy with that? Once in Christie will be able to muscle the extremists of both parties-he's good at that, both by, yes, throwing his weight around AND working in a bi-partisan manner.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Wishful thinking, who did you vote for in 08 when Obama opposed gay marriage, btw?

One can hope that Christie - unlike Romney, another moderate Republican governor of a northeast state - stands firm when his accomplishments and skills are criticized for not passing the litmus test.

I supported Obama in '08, as I typically do Democratic candidates who are weak on gay rights and other issues I care about. In my lifetime, the Democratic party has usually (albeit slowly) trended in the right direction in terms of making critical issues I care about part of its platform.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wishful thinking, who did you vote for in 08 when Obama opposed gay marriage, btw?

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Monroe and Gravey, you guys are trying to convince the wrong people here. Christie's biggest problem is those in his own party. You talk about how he is the logical candidate but you now need to convince the illogical looney right-wingers.

With all due respect to Monroe's summary of Christie's accomplishments (and truth be told, if it weren't for his opposition to allowing gay people to marry I would have voted for him for Governor) the Times article says it all. The small % that is the Republican base absolutely has the party by the short hairs, and these people live in insular, older, white, "christian" communities, and are driven overwhelmingly by their fear of change, and will not see Christie's accomplishments. Remember, the Republican base put people like Bachman and Cruz into office! Does anyone REALLY think they are capable of of taking the leap for some like the governor of a densely populated, ethnically diverse, religiouosly pluralistic state like NJ?

I'm not worried about the far right co-opting a President Christie. Look at how unhappy the looney left is over Obama and the promises he offered while candidate Obama and ignored while POTUS Obama-closing Gitmo, reining in the Patriot Act, etc. Now he has the NSA spying on Congressmen? You think the ACLU is happy with that? Once in Christie will be able to muscle the extremists of both parties-he's good at that, both by, yes, throwing his weight around AND working in a bi-partisan manner.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/6 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

\

True, but I'll stipulate I won't vote for him if he slips through not because of his record or policies, but because he'll then be a captive of the non-moderate right wing, which is virtually nonexistent in NJ. GHWB was a pretty moderate thoughtful guy, but he was a captive of the neocons. And they never forgave him for putting pragmatism over ideology when he broke his "no new taxes" pledge. Every GOP candidate since has had to worship them or be history.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Link to analysis

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
I'm truely sorry.

Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
I'll wait until this is a four page circle jerk before I get involved.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Sandy. Double check.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
When the Democrats are successful on the national level, it isn't the "Looney Left" (sic) that is responsible. National politics are about capturing the center. The DeBlasio election is as insignificant on the national level as the latest incoherent rantings of Pat Robertson. As long as the Republicans are being held captive by the Tea Party fringe, they are going to be at a distinct disadvantage. Whether or not you agree on the need for immigration reform, that one issue is going to swing a lot of votes over the next decade and the number of those affected by the issue isn't going down.

Sure - being a Republican governor in a solidly blue state says something, but since 1970 the NJ governor's seat has reliably swung back and forth between the parties. Cahill (R), Byrne (D), Kean (R), Florio (D), Whitman, et al (R), McGreevey, et al/Corzine (D), Christie. No party has held the governor's office for more than eight years since the 60s. So it's really no surprise there is a Republican governor in NJ - and to be a Republican governor in NJ almost by definition means you are moderate and someone who is able to work both sides of the aisle. You likely wouldn't get in the office if you weren't.

So far, you'd be hard pressed to make the case that Christie is anything more than Obama was headed into 2008 - he's held one significant office for four years. At this point, he's as much a PR creation (the contrived YouTube tirades and SNL appearances come to mind) as he is an accomplished politician. As much as I want to dislike him, I do find him entertaining - I just think he is going to have run a very tough gauntlet almost perfectly to get the nomination and that's more a reflection of the dysfunction ruling the GOP than it is a comment on his ability or qualifications.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/6 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/1/6 15:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
lol, I'll play. My normal mocking tone would respond as 'the fear from the looney left is palpable, as their biggest nightmare is a moderate, bi-partisan consensus builder with national appeal and a guy next door attitude'.

My less mocking, but rooted in the ground response would be 'it'll be easy for him to defend this, because he made sure there is no provision for the illegal alien students to get free, state grant money to pay for the classes, keeping that money for citizen students' and this will be enough to satisfy the more conservative voters who understand they need to support someone electable.

Anyone see the Idaho polls?

I agree with this. This is the Republican way of recognizing that they have significant problems with minority support but also not alienating the base core of their support that hates foreigners that are supposedly stealing their jobs.

I don't think Christie wins or gets past the Republican Primaries. But this won't be a nail in that coffin.

I do believe that he'll be painted as too moderate during the primaries. His weight, which he's certainly aware of, is another factor.

Another extremist, untrue statement. There are many on the looney left who say Republican money machine wants illegal aliens to provide cheap labor, of course. In any case, supporting the interests of American citizens over benefits for illegal aliens is patriotic and not hateful by anyone's standard, except for self hating Americans I would say.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
lol, I'll play. My normal mocking tone would respond as 'the fear from the looney left is palpable, as their biggest nightmare is a moderate, bi-partisan consensus builder with national appeal and a guy next door attitude'.

My less mocking, but rooted in the ground response would be 'it'll be easy for him to defend this, because he made sure there is no provision for the illegal alien students to get free, state grant money to pay for the classes, keeping that money for citizen students' and this will be enough to satisfy the more conservative voters who understand they need to support someone electable.

I agree with this. This is the Republican way of recognizing that they have significant problems with minority support but also not alienating the base core of their support that hates foreigners that are supposedly stealing their jobs.

I don't think Christie wins or gets past the Republican Primaries. But this won't be a nail in that coffin.

I do believe that he'll be painted as too moderate during the primaries. His weight, which he's certainly aware of, is another factor.

Posted on: 2014/1/6 14:26
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/1/6 13:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017