Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Boarding house neighbor partially blocks my driveway. What are my options?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
So long as my neighbors can move their car at short notice, I have no problem with them parking in the spot. Typically it's their building contractors and movers that use the spot. I've been given a lot of free help over the years from these contractors by not being a jerk to them over their parking.

Bottom line, don't feel guilty about getting them ticketed, but sometimes it pays not to be a jerk.

There was a guy that put an illegal driveway in, he knocked down his porch to do it. There is a fire hydrant there so even if someone blocks his "driveway" they would get a ticket for the hydrant. The guy actually is able to fit 2 cars in there plus you couldn't park in front of the house due to the hydrant. So this works out by freeing up 2 parking spots on the street.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:31
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

luvHomeMyJC wrote:
Thank you all for making me feel not GUILTY for calling upon the JCPD. "love thy neighbors" ... esp. thanks HeightsBrat for pointing it out that they don't feel guilty in making life inconvenient for me then why should I.

The best policy I find is to "speak softly but wield a big stick". I have a driveway, plus there is a fire hydrant beside it. If I call to get a car ticketed, they end up with at least 2 tickets as well as a possible tow.

So long as my neighbors can move their car at short notice, I have no problem with them parking in the spot. Typically it's their building contractors and movers that use the spot. I've been given a lot of free help over the years from these contractors by not being a jerk to them over their parking.

Bottom line, don't feel guilty about getting them ticketed, but sometimes it pays not to be a jerk.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Also, make sure your parking spot is legal! If you do not have curb cut outs, odds are your driveway is not legal...

Posted on: 2014/1/3 15:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you all for making me feel not GUILTY for calling upon the JCPD. "love thy neighbors" ... esp. thanks HeightsBrat for pointing it out that they don't feel guilty in making life inconvenient for me then why should I.

Called the JCPA and sometime in the summer they will also come and paint the "No Parking" lines outside the property.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 6:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/12 13:54
From Van Vorst
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

luvHomeMyJC wrote:
Hey fellow residents:

My neighbor has tenants that partially block my driveway. There are ample of street parking yet seem like purely driven by convenience they block their driveway and in process partially block me. I have complained to the landlord and the tenants but every so often the tenants change and gotta start all over again.

I can wiggle and pull my car out but that means that during rush hr my vision is potentially blocked on both sides while pulling out my car.

Suggestions?

From what I've heard, boarding houses are illegal in JC. I would anonymously call the housing department and report them. You might feel like a jerk, but it would probably solve your problem.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 16:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/2 18:42
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
LuvHomeMyJC,

What part of town are you in?

While certainly an inconvenience, the fact that you can exit your driveway means that the driveway isn't technically "blocked." If you are ever unable to get in or out of your driveway because it is blocked then please call the JCPA. If you are unable to enter your driveway because it is blocked a summons should/will be issued. If you are unable to exit, then a summons will be issued and the car will be towed.

JCPA: (201) 653-6969

Quote:

luvHomeMyJC wrote:
Hey fellow residents:

My neighbor has tenants that partially block my driveway. There are ample of street parking yet seem like purely driven by convenience they block their driveway and in process partially block me. I have complained to the landlord and the tenants but every so often the tenants change and gotta start all over again.

I can wiggle and pull my car out but that means that during rush hr my vision is potentially blocked on both sides while pulling out my car.

Suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/12/31 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

luvHomeMyJC wrote:
Hey fellow residents:

Suggestions?

When a parked car passes the curb cut of a driveway (not the white lines everyone paints) it is blocking the driveway. Do not feel the least bit guilty about calling the JCPA between 6am & 11pm or the JCPD thereafter. Your neighbors obviously do not feel guilty about making things difficult for you.

As to the issue of blocked driveways, you may possibly be able to get the offending car towed if you cannot get out as you're not able to exit your driveway during an emergency that could be life threatening. Of course you may be SOL if you can't get into your driveway because you still have free access to your car but you may be able to get them ticketed.

Posted on: 2013/12/31 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
How fresh is the no parking paint on the street?

Posted on: 2013/12/31 12:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
If your car is blocked in, and you can not leave your driveway, the JCPA can issue a summons. If you can not get in to your driveway, you're likely shit outta luck. Be sure to call or complain on the way out rather than on the way in.

Call the JCPA. My neighbor with a handicapped spot has called them before and has had success when his designated spot is blocked or taken (summons have been written.)

Posted on: 2013/12/31 11:20

Boarding house neighbor partially blocks my driveway. What are my options?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hey fellow residents:

Suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/12/31 6:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017