Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

JC Board of Education Vote This Tuesday

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/8 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
First of all, please vote on November 5th!

We are the Jersey City Board of Education Candidates For Excellence: Jessica Daye, Micheline Amy, Carol Lester and Ellen Simon. While we each have a separate vision, we have come together as candidates to work toward better academic outcomes for ALL Jersey City students.

We have been endorsed by Jersey City Mayor Steven M. Fulop, Council President Rolondo Lavarro, Ward ?F? Councilwoman Diane Coleman, Ward ?E? Councilwoman Candice Osborne, Ward ?A? Councilman Frank Gajewski, Freeholder Junior Maldonado, three current school board members and many others.

Here is some info about each of us. For more, please click here ?

Jessica Rosero Daye was born and attended public school in Jersey City. After losing her sight at the age of 5, Ms. Daye devoted her life to making sure others get the same opportunities that her parents fought for her to have. A special needs advocate at New York Lawyers for the Public Interest, Ms. Daye has turned her attention to the Jersey City public schools, where she will surely make a huge impact on behalf of her own two young children and all Jersey City students. She lives with her husband and two children in the Greenville neighborhood.

Micheline Amy is a human resources executive with two young children. With her strong insight and expertise, the BOE will be better equipped to evaluate personnel issues and employ best practices to encourage sensible professional development among teachers, administration and staff. Ms. Amy lives in the JSQ neighborhood with her husband and two children.

Incumbent Carol Lester has shown that she can withstand the rigors of her position and developed a platform of success on which the new board can build. Her accomplishments over three years on the Board are too numerous to count: as Chair of the Science, Technology & Green Initiatives Committee, Ms. Lester spearheaded WIFI access for every school, new science labs, a district-wide energy audit and much more. The mother of a daughter attending university, she lives in the Paulus Hook neighborhood with her husband.

Ellen Simon is the co-founder of Parents For Progress, a volunteer group advocating for excellent Jersey City public schools. With the organization, she had helped implement numerous improvements to our students? classroom well being. Ms. Simon led efforts to ensure more children received federally funded school breakfast and brought major media attention to the dangerous issue of lead in school drinking fountains, leading to district-wide action to alleviate the problem. She lives downtown with her husband and son, who attends public school in their neighborhood.

Due to the demands of the campaign, we will be unable to answer every inquiry but will do our best to respond to reasonable questions. The Facebook has the most updated information so if you need something that is time-sensitive, best to check there - https://www.facebook.com/Jersey.City.Board.of.Education

You can also check out our website for our platform, issues and info on how to volunteer/donate, etc.

Most importantly ? again - please vote this Tuesday, November 5th. It?s a little different this year because for the first time, the Jersey City Board of Education election is being held on Election Day. Be sure to read all the way down the ballot to get to us:

Jessica Rosero Daye (1I), Micheline Amy (3I), Carol Lester (6J) and Ellen Simon (1P)

Thank you very much!

Posted on: 2013/10/30 12:11

Re: Upcoming School Board Elections--Who to Vote For?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Secret 2011 meeting an issue (again) in Jersey City school board race

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A hush-hush meeting between then-City Councilman Steve Fulop and state Education Commissioner Chris Cerf two years ago continues to offer grist for the political mill here in Jersey City.

The meeting, at a private Arlington Avenue residence in May 2011, came just as the nine-member Board of Education was moving to oust former schools chief Charles T. Epps Jr. Two of the meeting?s attendees, BOE member Carol Lester and Ellen Simon, are on the ballot together in next week?s school board race, and their opposition has produced an ad raising questions about the get-together.

In the ad, BOE hopeful Lorenzo Richardson, a vocal critic of Fulop and Epps successor Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles, stands in front of the Arlington Avenue home and demands, ?No more secrets.?

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/29 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jenn2213 wrote:
Breakfast has ALWAYS been offered in the schools. Previously, it was offered from 8:00-8:30 in the school cafeteria. Officially breakfast is now served from 8:30-8:45 in the classroom, but in actuality it is 8:40/8:45. In the elementary schools, children are picked up from line outside at 8:30, they proceed into school and into their classroom and then eat breakfast. This typically is about 8:40-8:45. There is no official end to breakfast this way, but most kids finish up between 8:55 and 9:00. Instructional time starts at 8:45. We are assigning work to be done while they are eating (journal writing, review pages, problem of the day, etc;), but let's be honest...how many 5 and 6 years olds (or even some 12 and 13 year olds) can eat a bowl of cereal and work productively at the same time.

The reason for the change is that not enough students were coming to school at 8:00. Now they are all "in school" at 8:30/8:45 and we can increase breakfast numbers. I am in full support of no child being hungry, but can we acknowledge that children need time to eat and not count that time as instructional time and demand I am actively teaching and the kids are actively working while they are simultaneously trying to peel an orange?

Not convinced that schools should provide free meals and be enablers of parental irresponsibility. But why not provide a take-home breakfast at the end of the day, to be consumed next morning at home?

Posted on: 2013/10/27 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Kids who come to school hungry cannot learn. Connect the dots.

Why do I need to connect the dots if I went to school myself? In my school in the USSR they did offer us breakfast, but it was so bad that we rarely ate it. You certainly wouldn't have. Didn't stop me from being educated.

Second, schools, kids and breakfasts were not invented yesterday. How come we are still trying to solve this puzzle? I am pretty sure that by now we have tried everything and if there were any educational benefits to be found in the school cafeterias they were found years ago.

Stop hoping that you can find some magical solution in providing better nutrition, or in switching to dry erase from chalk, or in smaller class sizes and all that.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 0:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 2:08
Group:
Registered Users
Breakfast has ALWAYS been offered in the schools. Previously, it was offered from 8:00-8:30 in the school cafeteria. Officially breakfast is now served from 8:30-8:45 in the classroom, but in actuality it is 8:40/8:45. In the elementary schools, children are picked up from line outside at 8:30, they proceed into school and into their classroom and then eat breakfast. This typically is about 8:40-8:45. There is no official end to breakfast this way, but most kids finish up between 8:55 and 9:00. Instructional time starts at 8:45. We are assigning work to be done while they are eating (journal writing, review pages, problem of the day, etc;), but let's be honest...how many 5 and 6 years olds (or even some 12 and 13 year olds) can eat a bowl of cereal and work productively at the same time.

The reason for the change is that not enough students were coming to school at 8:00. Now they are all "in school" at 8:30/8:45 and we can increase breakfast numbers. I am in full support of no child being hungry, but can we acknowledge that children need time to eat and not count that time as instructional time and demand I am actively teaching and the kids are actively working while they are simultaneously trying to peel an orange?

Posted on: 2013/10/26 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Kids who come to school hungry cannot learn. Connect the dots.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
A few months ago, I hosted a meeting at the NAACP office that was requested by a lady whose name was Ellen Simon. She represented an organization called "Parents for Progress." Ms.
Simon informed me about a federal program that provided free breakfast for children of a certain income level.

Sounds like a good person to lead some office of Salvation Army, or United Way...

Now, since we were talking about education, let's not be distracted by other causes, however worthy they may seem.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A few months ago, I hosted a meeting at the NAACP office that was requested by a lady whose name was Ellen Simon. She represented an organization called "Parents for Progress." Ms.
Simon informed me about a federal program that provided free breakfast for children of a certain income level. She instructed me that the program was being under-utilized and could be a benefit for the children of the Jersey City public school system.

She asked me if I could get the NAACP to speak out in support of the program and urge further implementation.

To me, it is common knowledge that children who skip breakfast do not perform academically as well in class. I spoke to my executive committee, secured their support and proceeded to speak in favor of the program at the next Board of Education meeting.

It is comforting to know that some months later the district has stepped up to the plate with a pilot program which started at nearly half a dozen schools and is aimed at increasing the number of eligible children who will receive free/reduced breakfast at school.

Congratulations to Principal Annie Graham of School 12 and her staff for increasing the number of students in the program by an amazing 90 percent. Congratulations to Superintendent Dr. Marcia V. Lyles for her leadership in this matter. I truly believe with support from the Board of Education and the community at large that Dr. Lyles can lead this district to brighter days.

Congratulations to Ellen Simon and "Parents for Progress" for your superior dedication to what is in the best interest of our children.

WILLIAM C. BRAKER

PRESIDENT, LOCAL NAACP CHAPTER

JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/10/25 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Testy exchanges dominate Jersey City school board candidate forum

Ten candidates running in next month?s Jersey City school board race met at School 16 for an election forum last night, and after a sleepy start the forum ended on a chilly note after 90 minutes of candidates sniping back and forth.

Hot topics at last night?s two-hour forum, sponsored by the Historic Paulus Hook Association, included Schools Superintendent Marcia V. Lyles and incivility at Board of Education meetings.

Lyles, hired last August from a Delaware school district to replace longtime schools chief Charles T. Epps Jr., received either raves or jeers from the 10 candidates last night. Telissa Dowling, a substitute teacher, said her take on the new superintendent is ?somewhere in between,? then added if she graded Lyles she?d give her a D.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/25 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
I will be voting for Jessica Resero Daye, Micheline Amy, Carol Lester, and Ellen Simon too.

After speaking with these ladies last night, I think I will give them my vote as well.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I will be voting for Jessica Resero Daye, Micheline Amy, Carol Lester, and Ellen Simon too.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 20:19

Finally Decided--Upcoming School Board Elections--Who to Vote For?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Now that I have attended two meetings with the "Excellence" candidates, I have decided to support them because they seem sincere in their desire to make changes to the management of the school system.

After hearing stories about massive absenteeism, lack of Principal performance reviews for 10 years, lack of PTAs at some schools because the Principals dont want them, its clear to me that a systematic purge of the district office combined with true accountability at the Principal level is necessary to improve the system.

These candidates want to take this on, and it appears that they would then be able to form a majority on the Board to make some aggressive changes.

The alternative is to leave a split Board in place that will continue to block efforts to clean up the patronage mess.

Please consider voting for Jessica Resero Daye, Micheline Amy, Carol Lester, and Ellen Simon, 1I, 3I, 6J and 1P on the ballot November 5th.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
If you ignore the fact that the public schools have to deal with poverty, single parents with multiple kids, parents that don?t care, and on and on?

Of course I do. Do you know why? Because we are talking FUNDING.

And the "facts" that you mentioned I ignore, - can not be fixed by funding. Unless you propose we BUY them better parents, - an attempt to bring those "facts" in the dialogue is a misdirection on your part.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
How are you talking about salaries? Not a single argument for more spending is based on giving the same people more money. That?s about as absurd a strawman argument as I?ve seen.

Really?

Well then it makes it much easier.

All you need to teach is a building, a blackboard and a piece of chalk. Worked fine for me.

You can't tell me that a dry-erase board or any other thing you mentioned is a necessity. It is not. It is a luxury. In other words, it is something that you buy when you have an excess of money that you know not how else to waste. Not something you buy in the time of deficit.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I emailed the Fulop team to ask who they support and they emailed these 4 names back.

Ellen simon
Jessica day
Michaline Aimee
Carol Lester.

Posted on: 2013/10/24 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the union represents titles other than Teachers. Librarians, para-professionals, etc.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Wait, there's 4000 unionized teachers in JC? With 34,500 students, that makes a theoretical student/teacher ratio of 1:8.6. Where the hell are all those teachers? They're sure not in the classrooms. Are they counting retirees?

Posted on: 2013/10/23 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
To paraphrase Pebble - "Schools need more money". Bankrupt idea in more ways than one. Why aren't we talking Kindles instead of books, webcams and wifi instead of seats, teamspaces instead of dry erase boards...?

Where did I say "schools need more money"? I wrote why schools argue about needing more money. I didn't say they are always correct in getting it.

Reading comprehension is very important. It is often taught in schools.

Did I say it was your argument or the schools argument?

par?a?phrase (pr-frz)
n.
1. A restatement of a text or passage in another form or other words, often to clarify meaning.
2. The restatement of texts in other words as a studying or teaching device.
v. par?a?phrased, par?a?phras?ing, par?a?phras?es
v.tr.
To restate in a paraphrase.
v.intr.
To compose a paraphrase.

You've been schooled. End of lesson :)

Posted on: 2013/10/23 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In bizarre turn, Jersey City school board hopefuls endorse teachers union

Political observers watching the upcoming Jersey City school board race have been wondering: will the local teachers union, which is negotiating a new contract with the school district, endorse anyone?

The 4,000-member union faces a Catch-22: if it endorses its preferred candidates, it signals to its members who to vote for; but if those candidates win, they would have to abstain from voting on the new contract, leaving the pact in the hands of the remaining six members, most of whom did not receive union backing in their most recent elections to the board.

Well, an endorsement came through today, but it?s not the one anyone was expecting. The ?Children First? team, which includes incumbent board members Gerald Lyons and Angel Valentin, today issued an endorsement of the teachers union, the Jersey City Education Association.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
To paraphrase Pebble - "Schools need more money". Bankrupt idea in more ways than one. Why aren't we talking Kindles instead of books, webcams and wifi instead of seats, teamspaces instead of dry erase boards...?

Where did I say "schools need more money"? I wrote why schools argue about needing more money. I didn't say they are always correct in getting it.

Reading comprehension is very important. It is often taught in schools.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 18:02
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/23 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
That isn?t ?all you need to know.? If you ignore the fact that Hudson doesn?t actually have a special needs program?

It?s like comparing apples to andirons.

a
Special needs is not that significant percentage of the overall spending. Unless, of course, you use "special needs" as a place where the school would push off all the students who lag behind.

If you ignore the fact that the public schools have to deal with poverty, single parents with multiple kids, parents that don?t care, and on and on?

I?ve told a story many times about a former employee that became a teacher in Newark. She had a mother that thought it was a grave inconvenience to her day to come into the school to meet with a teacher because her son was stabbing himself with a pen repeatedly throughout the day. This is something that does not happen in private school.

Quote:

borisp wrote:

How is this an argument?

First, I was talking about the salaries, not the contents of the programs and testing methodology. And my statement stands, - if they tell us that they need more money to hire more expensive people, - that may be fine. If they tell us that if we give more money to the same people they will deliver, - it is not fine at all. It means those people knowingly and intentionally do not do their jobs properly.

Second, on the subject of should we tell them what to do, - sorry, you are wrong too. Plumber or teacher, - it matters not. They sell a service. We buy that service. If they do not want to sell the service that we, consumers, require, - they should pursue other opportunities.

How are you talking about salaries? Not a single argument for more spending is based on giving the same people more money. That?s about as absurd a strawman argument as I?ve seen.

The entire argument about having more money to spend is about having the resources to create the environment. This is either better maintained parks (maybe they need new brooms to sweep up the littered trash), new text books in the classroom that don?t say Kennedy is still alive. Money is needed to replace chalk boards with dry erase boards. You need funds to put new desks in the classroom. Money is needed to hire additional teachers so that classrooms can be reduced and focus and be re-directed. Money is necessary to get afterschool programs going so the kids in these poor areas aren?t hanging out on the corner or shooting people in the face.

Private schools spend a lot less on this because they inherently bring in students that do not cause the same anti-social environments. The parents of private school students are more likely to be involved in the students? education. This means that there is less litter, less destruction of property, less acting out, etc.

When it comes to salaries, the public school employee is often paid better. There are several reasons for this and it primarily comes down to: you get what you pay for. There is less of a work burden upon the private school employee however they are often treated like garbage (I have had quite a few stories told to me by teachers in both environments). Then you have public employee who is not just the school teacher during the day but the person that needs to teach a child manners. Have you talked to parents these days? They expect the schools to actually raise their children for them. Parents of private school students do not have the same mentality.

Lastly, you are arguing about a service. Different problems require different solutions. You mention the plumber and I corrected you. You say that if teachers don?t like the sculpted curriculum they should find a new occupation. I say that different problems need different tools. The kid that has no guidance at home, is poor at math but can draw needs different guidance and direction than the kid that is great at math and has trouble with stick figures. We?re talking about the minds of children. You can?t just say that they all grow the same.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 13:01
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
That isn?t ?all you need to know.? If you ignore the fact that Hudson doesn?t actually have a special needs program?

Special needs is not that significant percentage of the overall spending. Unless, of course, you use "special needs" as a place where the school would push off all the students who lag behind.

Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:

There is nothing sound about it.

This would have been sound if they said something like, - "give us more funds and we will fire everyone, and hire some other, better people who are more expensive".

This is not what they are saying.

Imagine you hire a plumber and you are not happy with his work. There are leaks, faucets are dented, paint on the chromed details... So, you tell him that you are not happy, and he responds that if only you pay him more, everything would be better.

What would your reaction be?

Yep, you are going to figure out that this is an extortion.

Imagine you hire a plumber and upon taking the job, you tell him exactly what pipe to use, where to stick it, how much Teflon tape, and then you specify that he can?t touch certain parts of fixture and that he has to do exactly as he?s told?

Plumbing isn?t teaching. The plumber in that scenario would likely say that they need to review the fixture because that might be the part that?s leaking or need replacing. That plumber might say the new pipes you want to put in are fine.

Your scenario is flawed and doesn?t accurately represent the true education environment. You are trying to take a rather complex issue and boil it down to John in one environment versus John in another. This is not the case.

How is this an argument?

First, I was talking about the salaries, not the contents of the programs and testing methodology. And my statement stands, - if they tell us that they need more money to hire more expensive people, - that may be fine. If they tell us that if we give more money to the same people they will deliver, - it is not fine at all. It means those people knowingly and intentionally do not do their jobs properly.

Second, on the subject of should we tell them what to do, - sorry, you are wrong too. Plumber or teacher, - it matters not. They sell a service. We buy that service. If they do not want to sell the service that we, consumers, require, - they should pursue other opportunities.

Posted on: 2013/10/23 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Also, remember that disabled students have rights under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). A school district must provide an education that accommodates the student's disability. If it can't, the student can demand a fully paid for placement into a private special ed school. These are often very expensive.

Jersey City has some, though not too many, private placements. The district has worked hard to develop its special education programs. Sue Mack had a lot to do with this.

From what I can tell the IDEA costs are funded almost completely by Federal sources, and represent about 5% of total budget. And 5% of $23k per student is around $1k. Doesn't bring the average anywhere near $10k as Pebbles posted .

Have a look at the 2012 budget under
http://www.boarddocs.com/nj/jcps/Board.nsf/Public
(Click [Search], then enter "Budget", and select the PDF under "Minutes - Public Hearing on the budget 26 March 2012")

Posted on: 2013/10/22 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Also, remember that disabled students have rights under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA). A school district must provide an education that accommodates the student's disability. If it can't, the student can demand a fully paid for placement into a private special ed school. These are often very expensive.

Jersey City has some, though not too many, private placements. The district has worked hard to develop its special education programs. Sue Mack had a lot to do with this.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

One can reasonably argue that there is waste in the school system and that it should not require $20,000+ per student to get the education we get. (Although most critics, when pushed for specifics, can tell interesting anecdotes but point to very little in specific line items that could be eliminated from the budget without affecting education).

Sorry, but don't care. If you buy cucumbers, you do not need to tell the farmer how to budget the process. All you need to know that if one farmer offers good cucumbers for 14, and another offers bad ones for 20, you should not be buying from the second one.

Hudson school's tuition is about 14K a year, so this is all you need to know.

Quote:

borisp wrote:Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Nevertheless, the requirement that the state put additional moneys into urban schools to a) guarantee an adequate education and b) ensure that urban municipalities are not crushed by unsustainable property tax burdens, is a sound one. For all the hating on the system, people seem to forget the truly desperate state of the schools before Abbot v. Burke.

This would have been sound if they said something like, - "give us more funds and we will fire everyone, and hire some other, better people who are more expensive".

Imagine you hire a plumber and you are not happy with his work. There are leaks, faucets are dented, paint on the chromed details... So, you tell him that you are not happy, and he responds that if only you pay him more, everything would be better.

Imagine you hire a plumber and upon taking the job, you tell him exactly what pipe to use, where to stick it, how much Teflon tape, and then you specify that he can?t touch certain parts of fixture and that he has to do exactly as he?s told?

Plumbing isn?t teaching. The plumber in that scenario would likely say that they need to review the fixture because that might be the part that?s leaking or need replacing. That plumber might say the new pipes you want to put in are fine.

Your scenario is flawed and doesn?t accurately represent the true education environment. You are trying to take a rather complex issue and boil it down to John in one environment versus John in another. This is not the case.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:23
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Private schools don?t inherently provide a better education. In fact, many of the teachers in private schools make less money because they aren?t as qualified as the public school teachers. The reason that private schools have better students is because they create an environment where students can learn a lot easier. Private schools can tell a student ?no, you can?t come here.?

The public school doesn?t actually spend $20,000 per student. It actually spends about $10,000 on one and $30,000 on another. Some students likely cost around $100,000, special needs students that private schools rarely bother with.

Comparing private and public schools based purely on cost per student numbers is quite unfair if you ignore the economics of how these numbers come about.

I?m not a teacher, not in a union and I have no kids at present. However, I understand the business of education and how it really works.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:15
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

One can reasonably argue that there is waste in the school system and that it should not require $20,000+ per student to get the education we get. (Although most critics, when pushed for specifics, can tell interesting anecdotes but point to very little in specific line items that could be eliminated from the budget without affecting education).

Sorry, but don't care. If you buy cucumbers, you do not need to tell the farmer how to budget the process. All you need to know that if one farmer offers good cucumbers for 14, and another offers bad ones for 20, you should not be buying from the second one.

Hudson school's tuition is about 14K a year, so this is all you need to know.

Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Nevertheless, the requirement that the state put additional moneys into urban schools to a) guarantee an adequate education and b) ensure that urban municipalities are not crushed by unsustainable property tax burdens, is a sound one. For all the hating on the system, people seem to forget the truly desperate state of the schools before Abbot v. Burke.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In 2006, JC public schools were finalists for the Broad Prize. The stats are still pretty depressing, and has there been any real movement on objectives in 7 years?

http://www.broadprize.org/past_winners/2006.html

http://www.broadprize.org/crisis/stats.html

Particularly .....

http://www.broadprize.org/crisis/bureaucracy.html

72. Voter turnout in school board elections is low and there is high turnover in school board elections, leading to instability in leadership, so few people know the names of their school board members and the public does not know who to hold accountable for results.

73. Little incentive exists to change current practices because public school systems still receive taxpayer funds, and there are few if any other public school choices, meaning that students must attend district public schools regardless of how they perform.

75. The media focuses on a small handful of these issues, but misses the real story: entire school systems must be transformed.

Posted on: 2013/10/21 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
The parents, along with the non-consumers, have a say in electing the school board.

Posted on: 2013/10/20 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

From the outside here's what I see:
- Costs per student are outrageous ($20k+ per year)
- Abysmal scores on standardized tests.
- A steady stream of thugs, gang members and murderers being produced.
- Constant demands for more resources and financing.

It seems pretty broken to me. Ultimately the blame lies with us apathetic voters, but I think the choices on the ballot want to give us more of the same.

How could it be otherwise? You have a system where consumers, - like parents and kids, - have no direct say in what they are buying and how much they are paying. While the people who pay for the service, do not consume it, - they just use it for political speechifying about how it is an "investment" and we must to "invest" more.

In the real world an "investment" is something that brings you profit.
In political world, an "investment" is used when you do not want to call it "spending".

-- Why do we double, triple, quadruple, ... our spending on this or that?
-- Oh, but this is not spending! It is INVESTMENT!

Posted on: 2013/10/19 22:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017