Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City council to strip MUA commissioners of health benefits

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/2 23:10
Group:
Banned
a reform of something doesn't mean that it is positive and a reformer don't even do what you want or like.
A reform can be worse or can be better, it is the point of view !!! So don't expect too much .....
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Then they should feel free to resign their positions immediately. And they shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
MUA Chair Eileen Gaughan did not return a request for comment. Eileen Matthias, Lewis? wife, told The Jersey Journal that council members themselves shouldn't receive "free benefits."

?Why do they get it?? she said. ?It?s that g?damn Fulop. I can?t stand him. And you can quote me.?
What a freaking moron.

When a position comes with a benefit that is later rescinded, people have every reason to be upset, regardless of whether we feel they deserve it.

I don't like the sick- and vacation-time payout deals either, but that's the agreement those folks signed up for.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/28 12:09
Group:
Registered Users
Then they should feel free to resign their positions immediately. And they shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
MUA Chair Eileen Gaughan did not return a request for comment. Eileen Matthias, Lewis? wife, told The Jersey Journal that council members themselves shouldn't receive "free benefits."

?Why do they get it?? she said. ?It?s that g?damn Fulop. I can?t stand him. And you can quote me.?
What a freaking moron.

When a position comes with a benefit that is later rescinded, people have every reason to be upset, regardless of whether we feel they deserve it.

I don't like the sick- and vacation-time payout deals either, but that's the agreement those folks signed up for.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster, I'm just saying she's not a moron for being cross with the mayor, even though I agree with him.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/29 3:50
Group:
Registered Users
50K here, 50K there.... When more and more of these costs are eliminated, the efficiencies add up to big numbers.

From what I understand, reform doesn't usually succeed when it's loud, sudden, and obvious. But when bad policies are chipped away a little at a time, reformers have better chances of success.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Yeah CatDog the JCIA?maybe Mayor Fulop can reel them all back in. I recall this mess also.

From JJ comments:
Quote:

Jersey City agency OK's controversial 5-year contract for director
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_incinerator_authoi.html
?The JCIA is an autonomous agency founded in 1951 to pick up and dispose of city trash. It employs around 140 workers, and its roughly $33 million annual budget is funded mostly with city dollars.?
?Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, who is behind the push to dissolve the JCIA, noted that the city agency came under fire recently when the City Council discovered that the JCIA hadn't paid more than $7 million in overdue bills.?

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
While it's nice that they're closing down some things here and there, are two peoples' health care - a whole 50 grand out of a multi-million dollar budget - really cause for triumph?

Health care of all things?

meh.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

What a freaking moron.

I guess we differ in how we differentiate between a JOB, and a voluntary appointed public board position. The former has contractual implications, but the latter, if it no longer suits you to VOLUNTEER for that service, you can simply resign.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

What a freaking moron.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

What a freaking moron.

Yet compared to the Honorable Ms Gaughan (the ex councilman's daughter) she sounds like Churchill.

What shocks the old school is the idea that accomplished and qualified citizens might actually serve their community on these boards without perks, rather than having them filled with the pathetically unqualified recipients of traditional JC nepotism and patronage.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:

What a freaking moron.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Autonomous Agencies

Autonomous agencies consist of authorities and other organizations which are created to address a narrow scope of activities and/or problems. The NJ Statutes which govern municipalities and counties establish (among other things), the number of board or commission members and the specific intent of each authority.

The City of Jersey City has 4 authorities, 2 agencies dealing with development and economic issues, and a public library:

Economic Development Corporation
Housing Authority
Incinerator Authority
Municipal Utilities Authority
Parking Authority
Public Library
Redevelopment Agency

This link will get you the information about JC?s Autonomous Agencies:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/agencies.aspx?id=1202

I also would love Mayor Fulop or someone in the know to give us an overview on how these things operate. Why do they need to be Autonomous? A state law? It seems they all have a Board of Commissioners and an Executive Staff.

And these agencies are dealing with tons of money. For example the JC Housing Authority has a yearly budget of around $64 million. From looking at their meeting minutes in the above link the BofC vote/approve the budget. I find it interesting that Healy's Deputy Mayor Raj Mukherji is Chairman. His lobbying firm has clients that may benefit from the Boards vote?no?

Look at these numbers for:

Administration:

Salary & Wages: $4 million
Fringe Benefits: $2.2 million (WTF!!!)
Other Expenses: $3.4 million

Total Administration: $10 million
they dont' need to be autonomous. Steve has in the past fought to bring the Parking Authority back under city control, as well as merging the Incinerator Authority and uhhhh... can't remember which one they were going to be merged with.

But yeah, they don't need to be autonomous at all, I'm pretty sure it was just patronage stuff from back when.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Autonomous Agencies

Autonomous agencies consist of authorities and other organizations which are created to address a narrow scope of activities and/or problems. The NJ Statutes which govern municipalities and counties establish (among other things), the number of board or commission members and the specific intent of each authority.

The City of Jersey City has 4 authorities, 2 agencies dealing with development and economic issues, and a public library:

Economic Development Corporation
Housing Authority
Incinerator Authority
Municipal Utilities Authority
Parking Authority
Public Library
Redevelopment Agency

This link will get you the information about JC?s Autonomous Agencies:

http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/agencies.aspx?id=1202

I also would love Mayor Fulop or someone in the know to give us an overview on how these things operate. Why do they need to be Autonomous? A state law? It seems they all have a Board of Commissioners and an Executive Staff.

And these agencies are dealing with tons of money. For example the JC Housing Authority has a yearly budget of around $64 million. From looking at their meeting minutes in the above link the BofC vote/approve the budget. I find it interesting that Healy's Deputy Mayor Raj Mukherji is Chairman. His lobbying firm has clients that may benefit from the Boards vote?no?

Look at these numbers for:

Administration:

Salary & Wages: $4 million
Fringe Benefits: $2.2 million (WTF!!!)
Other Expenses: $3.4 million

Total Administration: $10 million

Posted on: 2013/7/26 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Out of curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing more about this. So, does an MUA Commissioner get benefits from MUA for serving in this role, and what Fulop is doing is removing the CITY's benefits? I'm just wondering why anyone would serve in this role if they aren't paid and have no benefits.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 11:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/7/26 7:19
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Jersey City council to strip MUA commissioners of health benefits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council to strip MUA commissioners of health benefits

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
July 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

A measure stripping health benefits from Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority commissioners is on the agenda for next week?s City Council meeting.

The five MUA commissioners only work part-time ? the commissioners meet once a month ? and aren?t paid, but two of them, Nicholaos I. Economou and Lewis W. Matthias, receive city benefits, according to city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill.

The benefits cost the city $50,000 annually, ?not including the cultural message of entitlement,? Morrill said.

This is a pet issue for Mayor Steve Fulop, who attempted to strip all MUA commissioners of their benefits back in 2010, when he represented Ward E on the City Council. He didn?t find enough supporters on the council for the measure to move forward.

The council subsequently curtailed benefits, making them for the commissioner only and not their families members, and forced commissioners to kick in a portion of the premiums.

In 2011, Fulop won enough support to take benefits away from new MUA commissioners. Next week?s action will be ?closing the loop here,? Fulop said in a statement.

Councilman Rolando Lavarro will introduce the ordinance at next week?s meeting, and in the statement he called the action ?long overdue.?

?This is an important step in restoring public confidence in city government,? Lavarro said.

The council meets for its next regular meeting on Wednesday, July 31 at 6 p.m. at City Hall, 280 Grove St.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... s_of_health_benefits.html

Posted on: 2013/7/26 5:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017