Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
146 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: New PATH train schedules starting this Sunday
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Cory, none of the people I'm referring to are "dumb", but they might have different opinions than you.

The people I'm referring to appreciate the cleanliness and the *relative* lack of overcrowding.

Have you ever commuted regularly between Brooklyn and Manhattan?

Some people are of the opinion the earth is flat, too. I don't have to consider that person smart or pay attention to their opinion.

While I've not gone to Brooklyn for a regular job, I've gone back and forth there hundreds of times - so the equivalent of let's say oh... a year of commuting for the sake of argument? Pretty sure I know exactly what it's like to ride the F, C, N, R, L, 2, 3, 6 lines at all hours of the day.

The level of cleanliness is comparable. I've been as jam packed on the path as any 6 train coming down the east side.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 8:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Cory, none of the people I'm referring to are "dumb", but they might have different opinions than you.

The people I'm referring to appreciate the cleanliness and the *relative* lack of overcrowding.

Have you ever commuted regularly between Brooklyn and Manhattan?

Posted on: 2013/5/11 6:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Many people I know who have moved from outer boroughs to JC think the Path is much better than MTA.
Wow you know some dumb people. MTA is probably the best transit system in the country - which isn't to say it's fantastic and beyond reproach - simply that when compared to everything else here, it's tops. They run one of, if not the most, elaborate subway system in the world, as well as a fairly extensive bus system, and they do a pretty damned good job of it. Post Sandy? Where the Path was down weeks and regular service took 3 months to restore with only three lines to work with? MTA was running regular service in <2 weeks, and they have 17 lines that cross rivers (again, path has 3). Think about that. They had tunnels flooded on the 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, A, B, C, D, E, F, J, L, M, N, Q, R, Z and maybe even a few more I'm missing (G?). The escalator at the Grove street station can't go a month without breaking down, much less the service. A path train goes down? You're f(*@ked. No shuttle bus service to the next open station. You MIGHT get cross honoring tickets at NJTransit if you're lucky. Path can't even accommodate people coming home post rush-hour with enough trains. I've worked years in the Chelsea neighborhood and I'm sick and tired of getting on the train at only the 2nd stop on the line at 10PM or later to find standing room only. I can't even find a seat unless I take a damn uptown train first because they can't run enough service and now they're cutting it? What useless sh#@%theads. I hope someone slashes the tires on the cards of every exec who works there. Hell, confiscate their cars and make them ride the system they crap on. Then we'd see some changes for the better.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 5:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Jeepers, JClist lives up to its name. POSITIVES: it takes me from New Jersey to New York. Done.

Hey listen, I have bitched plenty about the Path myself. But performance-wise, it compares pretty favorably when compared with similar systems. So yes, there are things to bitch about, but that is not unique to this transit system. Which other systems have you taken that are better/cleaner/more reliable? Maybe you are just not a mass transit type of person. They ALL have a lot of negatives.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 3:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Jeepers, JClist lives up to its name. POSITIVES: it takes me from New Jersey to New York. Done.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
So- is there ANYTHING we could do as a community to change this for the better?

If there's no solution, then we should quit bitching 'cos that just a waste of time.

However, if there is something we could do, then let's try it NOW!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/11 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
Disclosure: I am a JC resident (longtime reader of this site) who also works for a major NYC media outlet. We are investigating the reason for the change.

That's great. As you can see by my name, I'm not a fan of the PATH train. Lived in Hudson county for a decade and I have nothing positive to say about this transit system.

That's not really fair. What public transit system are you comparing Path to? Generally speaking, everybody hates the transit system they use regularly. Many people I know who have moved from outer boroughs to JC think the Path is much better than MTA.

I think the Path has major communication challenges, and the technology needs to be slightly upgraded (signal system), but generally its very reliable. What are you comparing Path to?

While "nothing positive to say" is definitely an exaggeration, I certainly understand where that poster is coming from. I think you are being far too generous to the PATH (really the Port Authority) by classifying their problems as mere "communication challenges."

Their behavior is deliberate, and stems from the extensive political connections of the Port Authority's decision makers and resulting lack of any accountability to anyone.

This whole schedule change is a perfect microcosm of how the Port Authority operates. Make decisions in complete secrecy, spring them on the general public mere days in advance (so there's no real time to complain), and provide no explanation whatsoever. Do you think it's a coincidence that the printed schedules were released Friday and go into effect on Sunday? Most of them will have the weekend off so too late to complain now.

Remember the complete PATH shutdown a couple weeks ago? I have a hard time believing any transit system authority would shut down the entire rail system, without warning, without real explanation, for hours at a time. And of course there is no follow-up.

When I created this thread, the reason I said "hopefully this does not mean trains will run less frequently" is because I am conditioned to believe that ANY time there is an announcement about the PATH it is negative. Sadly my fears were realized.

I can tell you the real reasons behind this service reduction:
1. Because they can.
2. It probably saves some money.
BTW the WTC line is also moving to 20 minute service on Sunday.

The political connections and lack of accountability in the Port Authority run so deep that don't kid yourself into thinking any "expose" will change a thing. People have been writing about this garbage for years and nothing changes. Here's one example of many. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/pa ... en_DJsm7eMFXRpXeG6eN8ZVAI

And notice how they buried this huge service reduction into a single line change. Again, intentional. If they bother to make any kind of statement at all they'll probably say something about how it's necessary for track maintenance, or some other statement that people have no way of verifying.

And other posters here are right. PATH trains going into and out of NYC seem to be packed at any time of day. A tremendous service reduction is the last thing we need. Combined with scheduled fare increases. But with all of the political connections, don't hold your breath waiting for a thing to change.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
Disclosure: I am a JC resident (longtime reader of this site) who also works for a major NYC media outlet. We are investigating the reason for the change.

That's great. As you can see by my name, I'm not a fan of the PATH train. Lived in Hudson county for a decade and I have nothing positive to say about this transit system.

That's not really fair. What public transit system are you comparing Path to? Generally speaking, everybody hates the transit system they use regularly. Many people I know who have moved from outer boroughs to JC think the Path is much better than MTA.

I think the Path has major communication challenges, and the technology needs to be slightly upgraded (signal system), but generally its very reliable. What are you comparing Path to?

Posted on: 2013/5/10 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/5/10 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Good! Somebody needs to do an expos? on the PA.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/23 13:02
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH authorities should spell out and explain the changes.... i guess accountability and customer service is too much to ask for...

Posted on: 2013/5/10 15:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is the current schedule effective February 10:
http://www.panynj.gov/path/pdf/path-map-schedule.pdf

(printed copies no longer available in stations)

If you pick up a printed copy (effective May 12, not online yet) - and dig into it - you will see that on Sundays, the "every 10 minutes" on Sundays 33-JSQ from approx 10am-7pm magically goes to "every 20 minutes"

No other major changes I see, save for some bigger gaps around the 11pm times... and slightly increased service on HOB-33 weekdays.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
It looks like the biggest change - and a BAD one at that - is the reduction of daytime/evening Sunday service on the 33-JSQ via HOB line from every 10 minutes to every 20 minutes.

What's the deal??

I'm not seeing that. Looks like every 15min before 10am, every 10 min between 10am and 7pm then every 20 after that, which is what I think it already was.

What's interesting is that at midnight it goes to every 15min. I can't imagine the reason for less service between 7pm and 12am than 12 and 5am

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Zippy1808 wrote:
It looks like the biggest change - and a BAD one at that - is the reduction of daytime/evening Sunday service on the 33-JSQ via HOB line from every 10 minutes to every 20 minutes.

What's the deal??

Welcome to JClist Zippy. Can you provide a link to your claim that there is going to be a service reduction? I can't find that anywhere.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
This makes no sense. If anything, the Port Authority should be restoring direct JSQ to 33rd street service. Where is Christie and Healy on this? Fulop! Why aren't they out asking questions? Holding the Port Authority accountable.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I'm convinced the Port Authority's slogan is "PATH: We hate you."

Figures they'd do this just as the weather is getting nice and more people are likely to want to go into the city on weekends.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
The population in JC is booming, the trains are packed to the gills, and Port Authority lessens the frequency. Nice.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

What's the deal??

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I heard the announcement too. There is certainly no logical reason for them to decrease frequency, so hopefully it will be an increased frequency, although it seems unlikely that Port Authority would make a positive change.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 0:07

New PATH train schedule
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Just saw the message at the bottom of one of the TVs in the PATH stations. It says all trains will have new schedules effective Sunday.

The message directs you to the Port Authority website, or the preprinted timetables they have in various stations. However, I didn't see anything on the Port Authority website.

Hopefully this does not mean trains will run less frequently.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 23:39

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/5/15 15:49:52

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017