Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Dan Levin - Former Jersey City mayoral candidate to run for at-large City Council seat

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 23:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Dan, I was happy to volunteer yesterday to help you get voters out to our voting poll in our mutual shared neighborhood, Harsimus Cove. You have my support anytime I might help as you are a leader with a clear vision, ideas, transparency, honesty and integrity. What we discussed last night will happen.

Besides the above you are a great neighbor and terrific friends, both you and your wife. Thanks for the campaign coffee, it kept me warm last nite.

:crickets:

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:52

Re: Dan Levin - Former Jersey City mayoral candidate to run for at-large City Council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
here here. You have my support as well and keep up the great work!!

Posted on: 2011/11/10 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
You got my vote, Dan, and you have my continued support.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Dan, I was happy to volunteer yesterday to help you get voters out to our voting poll in our mutual shared neighborhood, Harsimus Cove. You have my support anytime I might help as you are a leader with a clear vision, ideas, transparency, honesty and integrity. What we discussed last night will happen.

Besides the above you are a great neighbor and terrific friends, both you and your wife. Thanks for the campaign coffee, it kept me warm last nite.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 0:01
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
thank you all for the positive support!

its election day - let's do it!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 10:54

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
Daniel Levin is a different breed of politician, one who inspires & is able to show that public service is an honorable position of responsibility & respect. The question is if today's Jersey City is ready for this type of politics. I sure hope he gets voted in. Good luck Dan!

Posted on: 2011/11/8 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Great story, Miles. Thanks for sharing it.

Good luck tomorrow, Dan.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 17:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Door to Door with Dan Levin

Last night I went door to door campaigning for Dan Levin. I haven't gone door to door for anything since I was in my early twenties and was helping out Earth Island Institute. But there I was, about to turn 46 this month, married with three kids, knocking on a door of a complete stranger. I did know a few things about them since their name was on this list on my clipboard. I knew they had recently voted, I knew their name, and I knew I had to find some way to get them to vote Tuesday.

I went out there because I was tired of being sick of it all. Maybe OWS inspired me. Maybe the Tea Party inspired me. But I think Dan, who was walking with me ringing doorbells and knocking on doors himself, inspired me more than anything else

"Hello, my name is Dan Levin and I'm one of 17 candidates running for two At-Large Council seats in the special election this Tuesday." Dan begins his introduction to the newest person we have roused from their Sunday night routine with a buzz of their doorbell. "But I'm probably the only candidate who is not a former or current public employee." The first time I heard his soft-spoken speech I started to panic. "Will this person get bored and slam the door on us?" I thought to myself. "We're interrupting the Giants game after all. Why doesn't Dan just cut to the chase!" But Dan is describing the resignation of Vega and his corruption conviction in calm, matter-of-fact tones, without any vitriol, and minus the dramatic gestures and bombastic speech I usually associate with "campaigning". I look at the resident standing in his doorway. Does he care about any of this? I haven't heard one sound-bite yet from Dan, and yet he seems to have held the interest of this person. I look back at Dan, who is talking about his background. "My background is in business, not politics. I have a small framing business in Hoboken, and before that I was a manager at a Credit Union . . ." In another minute, I realize that the guy in the doorway is not only keenly interested in Dan's message, but he is asking questions.

I saw this time and again as we walked block after block last night. Campaigning is a slow, long process - connecting with voters one by one. There is no quick way to describe how to improve the Council and the City. There is no sound-bite to summarize the years of civic activism Dan has spearheaded and nurtured. How does one describe all the years of work that went into the Fulop-championed pay-to-play reform bills that CivicJC wrote? How can one succinctly document the tangled hairball of curruption that is our current City Council?

But this time it seems, the voters are willing to engage in thoughtful, honest discussion about JC's problems and the complexities of the remedies. Many of them are tuning out the tired, rehashed half-truths and slogans shouted from megaphones atop billboarded vans, and splattered on 4-color glossy mailers paid for by money printed by the political machinery.

And the reason I feel that people are so engaged in this council election is because for the first time ever, their vote really, truly counts. This is the greatest chance ever to get another reformer on the council to join Steve Fulop. With so many candidates for only two seats, the winner may be decided by one vote. It could happen. And that vote may be yours or mine or your friend's that you drag out to the voting booth tomorrow night.

I'm glad I put aside everything on my TODO list last night and went out there to help energize a few voters. But it was only a drop in the bucket, so I'll try to go out tonight too, and tomorrow night, until the last voting booth closes at 8pm.

signed, a (somewhat less) jaded-JC'er.

Miles Poindexter
Lafayette, JC

Posted on: 2011/11/7 17:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
Talking Politics - Vote for Dan Levin, 15F. #2-- you decide below

Vote for Dan Levin, 15F. #2-- you decide below

There are 17 candidates running for two seats for City Council-at-Large. My first recommendation is Dan Levin, 15F. Dan has been an activist for years and neither he nor his wife work for the city nor county. Over the years, it's been very apparent that too many of the Council folks, like the 2 incumbents, are County employees and their first allegiance is to the County Exec. Those are the bucks that pay their mortgages.

Vote for Dan Levin, 15F, who has attended Council meetings and has championed good causes and neighborhood concerns on their merits.

Posted on: 2011/11/7 1:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... g-levin-for-city-council/

Dear Editor:

For those who are yearning to positively change Jersey City and make it a progressive city that it has the potential to be, deeming the upcoming November 8th Special Election important is a sure understatement. Please consider supporting Daniel Levin, candidate for Councilman-at-Large, a stalwart activist for reform in Jersey City and a true advocate for making good government work for the people.

I?ve known Dan since moving back to Jersey City in the 1990s and it was through volunteering in various community-based activities that I got to know him well. As a family man, a father of two children who attend their district public school, his sincere commitment and dedication to this city is unquestionable.

Dan is a true reformer in Jersey City and he can back up my claim with solid reform measures, specifically the Pay-to-Play reform championed by Ward E councilman Steve Fulop with whom he closely worked to get the legislation passed. He was a key player in establishing numerous non-profit advocacy organizations (JC Landmarks Conservancy, Bike JC, Civic JC), is active in his neighborhood association for which he also served multiple terms on the board (Harsimus Cove Neighborhood Association), and he remains supportive to many other community-based groups throughout the city. His management experiences in the banking industry and as a business owner inform his decision-making, but most importantly, he is one of the most ethically-grounded persons one could ever meet and if there is one thing we need in our city?s leadership, it is this principled influence.

Positive change is an ongoing uphill battle and although there can be no panacea to attain this, getting Dan in the local government ? in an official capacity ? will be a step toward the right direction.

We can all do something to progressively steer the course of our city ? please support Daniel Levin in this election, spread the word to make sure that the good guy gets voted in.

Respectfully,

Lycel P. Villanueva, RA, PP, LEED AP

Posted on: 2011/11/5 11:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
@ MDM: I thought so but thanks for clarifying that.

Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
Br6dR -

"At Large" means that the council member represents the entire city, so any Jersey City resident can vote for any at large candidate.

Also, there are two at large seats open in this race so you can can cast two votes during the election. The way the ballot is set up is intentionally confusing as it makes it appear that you can only vote for two candidates in a single bracket, but the reality is that you can vote for any two candidates even if their names aren't located next to each other on the ballot.

The county did this intentionally so they could throw away more votes and trick voters into voting for certain candidates. It's not illegal, but it's just another dirty campaign tactic for the entrenched interests in our city to stay in power.

I hope this explanation helps. I'm running in this election and I'm listed in column 13F. I chose not to bracket with anyone else running in this race so my name is listed by itself. If you'd like to read more about my candidacy you can do so on this thread:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... p?topic_id=25422&forum=11

Rich Boggiano for City Council
President, Hilltop Neighborhood Association

Man these jackasses (Healy and friends) are corrupt. It's like any movie about corruption and graft you care to name. Thanks for spelling it out.

You don't have to worry about my vote. I've been reading that thread and think you are very articulate and thoughtful. But more than that, you have Althea and Yvonne's endorsement. The gold standard. I'll be voting for you and Dan Levin. (The impossible dream would be you and Dan Levin on the city counsel with Steven Fulop as Mayor. This city would finally be on course to end machine politics.)

As you know, this city's biggest problem is geography. There are no local television stations and no paper arriving on the doorstep. Since most people don't spend a half an hour in the morning reading up on local (and I'd add national) politics, politicians know they can pretty much do as they please in the dark.

The Jersey Journal tries to educate but most people are content to watch beautiful people yucking it up in NYC.

Anyway, you have my vote.

+1. Rich and Dan.

I don't necessarily agree with all their views- but it's clear they are in no-ones back pocket and will bring some rational and thoughtful vision to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 0:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
From the JCI Mailbag:

In our opinion, Daniel Levin is the best choice to fill an at-large position on the municipal council. We hope that people all over Jersey City vote to bring his fresh voice, sensible ideas, strong skills, excellent values, and impeccable integrity to the council. He has demonstrated his commitment to making Jersey City a better place by devoting himself to many issues we care about. He is a solid family man with two children who attend their local public school, and he is a small-business owner. Although he has been active in our neighborhood for many years, we have seen that he has always looked at the bigger picture, at what is right for all the people of our city.

Charles and Annie Kessler
Harsimus Cove, Jersey City

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... jersey-city-council-seat/

Posted on: 2011/11/4 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a link to the sample ballot. Click on the 2011 General Election Sample Ballot link in the upper left.

http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections/default.htm

Posted on: 2011/11/4 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
@ MDM: I thought so but thanks for clarifying that.

Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
Br6dR -

"At Large" means that the council member represents the entire city, so any Jersey City resident can vote for any at large candidate.

Also, there are two at large seats open in this race so you can can cast two votes during the election. The way the ballot is set up is intentionally confusing as it makes it appear that you can only vote for two candidates in a single bracket, but the reality is that you can vote for any two candidates even if their names aren't located next to each other on the ballot.

The county did this intentionally so they could throw away more votes and trick voters into voting for certain candidates. It's not illegal, but it's just another dirty campaign tactic for the entrenched interests in our city to stay in power.

I hope this explanation helps. I'm running in this election and I'm listed in column 13F. I chose not to bracket with anyone else running in this race so my name is listed by itself. If you'd like to read more about my candidacy you can do so on this thread:

Man these jackasses (Healy and friends) are corrupt. It's like any movie about corruption and graft you care to name. Thanks for spelling it out.

You don't have to worry about my vote. I've been reading that thread and think you are very articulate and thoughtful. But more than that, you have Althea and Yvonne's endorsement. The gold standard. I'll be voting for you and Dan Levin. (The impossible dream would be you and Dan Levin on the city counsel with Steven Fulop as Mayor. This city would finally be on course to end machine politics.)

As you know, this city's biggest problem is geography. There are no local television stations and no paper arriving on the doorstep. Since most people don't spend a half an hour in the morning reading up on local (and I'd add national) politics, politicians know they can pretty much do as they please in the dark.

The Jersey Journal tries to educate but most people are content to watch beautiful people yucking it up in NYC.

Anyway, you have my vote.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info Rich.
I commend both you and Dan for not bracketing with anyone, and standing up for your principles, even if it means standing alone.

jcmiles

Posted on: 2011/11/4 17:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users
Br6dR -

Posted on: 2011/11/4 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Stupid question. Is this seat in a particular ward or does "at large" mean anyone can anyone vote for Dan Levin?

Posted on: 2011/11/4 15:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
We Can't Wait Untill 2013 - Vote 15F

Message from Dan

I cannot afford to wait until 2013 - can you?

Vote now, Act now.

The candidates elected in the November 8th special election for the two (2) At-Large council seats will vote on two municipal budgets and a number of cost-cutting initiatives, including consolidating semi-autonomous agencies back into the city, before the next regular municipal election in 2013.

Vital city services continue to be reduced, including those of libraries and recreation, while promotions and raises continue in city hall. Of the 366 layoffs in the city only 12 of those employees made more than $25 per hour, with one of the 12 a deputy mayor charged and convicted in the historic corruption scandal of 2009.

Our campaign to give the regular people of Jersey City, the 99%, a voice in our own city is in its final days. This is our chance to disempower the 1% who are part of the double dipping, patronage, nepotism and cronyism that plague our city.

Let us speak with One Voice for a safer, more vibrant city; for stable taxes and sensible spending; and for sound solutions.

- Dan Levin

Posted on: 2011/11/4 10:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
since the question has frequently come up, I would like to commit that regardless of the outcome in the special election for Council At-Large on 11/8, I will not be running for Mayor in 2013, instead I will run for Council, likely the open Ward E seat. this decision was made last winter and the change filed with NJ Elec.

vote.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
to learn more about our campaign, please visit -

http://onejerseycity.org/

and on facebook -

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37126317047

or contact - danlevin@onejerseycity.org

Posted on: 2011/7/15 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I?m really delighted to see Dan Levin throwing his hat in since he?s EXACTLY the type of person I would have wished for in the position. After the craptacular terms of Flood and Vega came to an end I was really hoping to see some new candidates that would provide a contrast and provide some hope for the city. Maybe even people that could be trusted to do the right thing for a change. Now it looks like there is a chance it could happen.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 16:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This will be an uphill battle but I'm all in! Let's see if we can wake up enough sleeping voters to get him elected.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 15:07

Re: Former Jersey City mayoral candidate to run for at-large City Council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
This is a fantastic opportunity to move the council in the right direction. We already have Fulop and the addition of Levin would be just one more step in moving out the old guard. Every little victory helps move Jersey City into the future and away from the old traditions of glad-handing and backroom deals. Time for the patronage system to end and for people with real ideas to move into the leadership positions.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 15:47

Dan Levin - Former Jersey City mayoral candidate to run for at-large City Council seat
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_city_mayoral_can_2.html

Former Jersey City mayoral candidate Dan Levin to run for at-large City Council seat

Monday, July 11, 2011
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Dan Levin leads a rally outside Jersey City City Hall last year denouncing corruption and calling for then-Councilman Mariano Vega to reign. Levin announced today he is running for one of two vacant seats on the council.

Jersey City resident Dan Levin, who ran for mayor in 2009, announced today that he is running in November's Special Election for one of two at-large positions on the City Council.

The two seats were left vacant in the last year, one when former Council President Mariano Vega resigned in September 2010 and the other when former councilwoman Willie Flood resigned in February.

Vega's seat is now held temporarily by Councilman Ray Velazquez, and Flood's by Councilwoman Kalimah Ahmad. Both have announced their intentions to run for the seats this November, when voters will decide who remains in the two seats until the May 2012 municipal election.

Levin said he's running for the seat for a simple mission, to improve the decisions made by the city.
"I will bring a clear, common sense vision and sound management approach to solve our problems and build upon our opportunities while keeping the needs of residents central to all considerations and action," Levin said in a statement.

Levin added: "Working together, we can provide an excellent quality of life to all residents, develop our city in a sustainable manner and fulfill our potential to be a world-class city."

Born in Newark and raised in South Orange, Levin has lived in Jersey City for 15 years. He helped found local nonprofits Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy, Civic JC and Bike JC.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 15:21

Edited by Webmaster on 2011/7/12 13:57:07

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017