Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Council approves introduction of budget that administration says won't raise taxes
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 1:09
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/12 4:12

Re: Council approves introduction of budget that administration says won't raise taxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

collinsjer2010 wrote:
In my post I did say that they got to keep their jobs which is a good thing, but they really had no choice in the matter. It was either do it or you lose your job. AND yes I do have a problem in that the FD was not used the same way. What's good for one is good for the other.

So if it had been the fire department and not the police department, you would have been lined up to make your equal concession, voluntarily? Please.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 15:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

collinsjer2010 wrote:
In my post I did say that they got to keep their jobs which is a good thing, but they really had no choice in the matter. It was either do it or you lose your job. AND yes I do have a problem in that the FD was not used the same way. What's good for one is good for the other.

About 20% to 25% of the entire fire department has retired in the past 2 years alone. None of those positions were filled and 11 Deputy Positions remain vacant. That is a big piece of their operating budget. They also have placed 5 companies off duty to cut back on overtime.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 20:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/20 20:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/11 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Not misinformed, just didn't write well. I was trying to say "non-police and non-fire personnel". It seems your whole issues is with the fire department. If it is - then say so. Don't say no one is giving up anything when pretty much every one is except the fire department.

Those "young officers" should be thankful their union gets to negotiate with Healy, et al. They really didn't "give" much. If anything, the "young officers" are the ones who should be thankful. Unlike what is happening in other cities, they didn't lose their jobs.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 14:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

collinsjer2010 wrote:
Yes, they did postpone....but they did give up something that they already had received. So in fact they did give up. Like I said, why was this not asked of others?

You say "give up", but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City's hopes for avoiding tax rise under next budget hinge on sales of two properties for at least $17 million

Friday, March 11, 2011
By TERRENCE T. McDONALD
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

After grappling for months with an $80 million budget gap, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has submitted a $477 million municipal budget that he says comes with no tax increase.

Roughly 20 percent of that deficit will be eradicated, city officials hope, by the proposed sale of two municipal properties: Police Headquarters at 8 Erie St. and a 2.5-acre lot adjacent to Jersey City Medical Center that was once slated to become a City Hall Annex.

The city hopes to rake in $17 million for the two properties, $15 million for the annex property alone. Because of the economic downturn, that annex property is no longer a viable option for city uses, says city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill.

"The administration strongly believes that any solution for the project must create employment opportunities for Jersey City residents, both construction and permanent," Morrill said in an e-mail.

The Jersey City Redevelopment Agency is determining how to develop the site, which will likely include residential and commercial components, Morrill said. It

Posted on: 2011/3/11 9:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tbird you are misinformed....fire has given nothing back to help the city and the taxpayers like the young police officers have.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
One of the properties is 8 Erie St., Police Hdqtrs. Not sure what the other one is.

As to dead wood, there is plenty in Police and Fire as well.

Posted on: 2011/3/11 1:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with collins to a degree. There's a WHOLE lot of deadwood among those lucky individuals employed by the city that should be let go. And furloughs are not enough to close a gap that wide. Anyone who has dealt with any of the city agencies knows what I mean. I'm always surprised when I deal with a city employee who shows a modicum of intelligence and can actually be of assistance.

I'd be really interested to know which two properties that are owned by the city are worth $17 million. And does that figure include the liquor licenses?

I'm a liberal democrat but our present city government is giving people like me pause.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

collinsjer2010 wrote:
Like I said, why was this not asked of others?

You don't count the pay cut all non-police and fire personnel are suffering because of the furloughs? That's real, isn't it?

Posted on: 2011/3/10 22:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, they did postpone....but they did give up something that they already had received. So in fact they did give up. Like I said, why was this not asked of others?

Posted on: 2011/3/10 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

collinsjer2010 wrote:
Thank your young POLICE OFFICER when you see them out on the streets for giving back their well earned raises to help the city and the taxpayers out. With the THREAT of being laid off they were really given no choice in the matter. Sort of llike EXTORTION, but that is fine since they get to keep their jobs and no raises in the taxes will benefit evryone else. The only thing that would have been nicer for the taxpayers and may have even LOWERED taxes would have been if the city had sought parital givebacks from others. What's good for some should be good for all. And NO I am not a police officer.

I think you mean they postponed their salary increases, not gave back.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
The budget as introduced last night contains a $22 million-plus tax increase in it. The mayor saying "taxes will be stable, there will be no increase" does not make it so. Presumably the doable cuts have already been made. So where will that $22 million come from?

Nice that the police made the small concessions that they did but in the end, it will still be the taxpayers who get hit the hardest.

Quote:
collinsjer2010 wrote:
Thank your young POLICE OFFICER when you see them out on the streets for giving back their well earned raises to help the city and the taxpayers out. With the THREAT of being laid off they were really given no choice in the matter. Sort of llike EXTORTION, but that is fine since they get to keep their jobs and no raises in the taxes will benefit evryone else. The only thing that would have been nicer for the taxpayers and may have even LOWERED taxes would have been if the city had sought parital givebacks from others. What's good for some should be good for all. And NO I am not a police officer.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 20:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/3/10 20:05

Council approves introduction of budget that administration says won't raise taxes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council approves introduction of budget that administration says won't raise taxes

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Jersey City City Council last night unanimously approved the introduction of a $477 million 2011 municipal budget that city officials say will come with no municipal tax hike.

For months, the city has been struggling with an $80 million budget gap. To close it, the city is using $15 million in surplus, netting nearly $8 million from layoffs and union concessions, and hoping for $17 million from the sale of two city properties.

Those kinds of one-shot revenue sources are problematic, Councilman William Gaughan said last night. The city should have been "a little more conservative" using these kinds of methods in the past, Gaughan said.

"I'm not always happy with that, because that's how we got where we are today," he said.

The proposed spending plan, which may be adopted next month, is the first since the city moved its budget from a July-to-June fiscal year to a calendar year.

TERRENCE T. McDONALD

Posted on: 2011/3/10 16:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017