Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Guess the age, win a $100 voucher
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
After multiple counts, the tree?s age was 81 years old. Out of the 60 people who entered a guess, no one had the exact number. The closest person to that number was 80 and will have the pleasure of dining at Marco & Pepe. I?d like to thank Ralph at M&P for sharing the cost of the meal. The pictures below is of the longest limb on the Silver Maple (60?), which hung over Montgomery St, it could have taken out the park fence, cars, electrical wires, people below it, and landed in front of the brownstones across the street. I am very sad to see it go but I do feel better knowing the right decision was made. parkman [img]Photobucket[/img][img]Photobucket[/img]

Posted on: 2010/7/30 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
So umm... who won and what was the answer?!

Posted on: 2010/7/30 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman, I did not mean to offend you nor wanted to imply that it was you who was recklessly removing the trees. Although I don't know you personally, I know the great work that you do in that park and believe me I greatly appreciate it. I was not aware that you were involved in the assessment and removal of the trees . I thought that the city highered a tree trimmer and let them loose. I'm all for trees and wish that more can be planted on my block.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 11:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/22 2:07
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A Copper Beech is also waaay more attractive than a Silver Maple. I'd cut down any Silver Maple, healthy or not, if it meant replacing them with Copper Beeches.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 10:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman, I see you in VVP all the time and am so impressed with how you almost single-handedly maintain the beauty of the park! Thank you!!

Just lamenting over the loss of the tree, but completely trust that it was 100% necessary to remove.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 10:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
If you knew who I am and how much time, effort, and money, I?ve put into the park, or you bothered being involved with this volunteer maintained public park, you might understand that we have planted over 40 new trees, many hundreds of flowers and shrubs in the last 10 years?all out of our pockets and our time.

Yorkster, the Elm by the gazebo has been dead for the last year and a half, it was taken down so it would not fall on your head or the children who play underneath it every day. We spent $1,800 trying to save the Elm in the dog run, as well as the Elm to the west of it, by having it inoculated against the beetle that contributed to the demise of it?s neighbor. The confluence of one month without rain, dog urine being the main source of moisture, and the infestation, was not enough to save the tree in the dog run.

The removal of the Silver Maple was very emotional for me. This is a tree that dropped a 2,000-pound limb, at 8:00am on a Monday morning two years ago, and fortunately did not kill some one. It is a variety of Maple that is no longer planted in NY parks due to its propensity of shedding large limbs as it ages. Before the Maple was removed, I paid a state certified arborist, out of my own pocket, to evaluate this tree and all others in the park. I also planted a 20-year-old Copper Beech next to it, which will be 100? tall and 5? wide, when fully mature.

Sandman, if you think the Silver Maple was healthy, come by today and observe the rot in some of the large limbs and see if you would be willing to take on the liability?I was not, nor was the city.

The VVPA was given a copy of the report from the arborist and are fully aware of the reasons for the removal of each tree. In addition to these removals, the city has approved my request for pruning the entire park of all dead limbs and the cabling of an old Sugar Maple at the southwest entrance of the park instead of removing it.

I understand everyone?s concern about taking down old trees, but the reality is that there is no program set up by the city to do routine maintenance, and the consequence is that trees not properly tended to, become a safety hazard to the public?I?m just trying to set up such a program by planting trees next to those that need to removed in the near future. Last year we removed 3 sick trees and planted 6 new ones.

I?m doing the best I can to balance the safety of the public and keep the aesthetics of a passive park. If you have suggestions or are willing to participate in it?s upkeep, please let me know? I could use your help.

parkman

Posted on: 2010/7/30 7:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/9 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_DowntownRegular wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Why are so many trees being cut down in VVP?. My understanding was that ONE tree that obviously looked dead due to lack of leaves was going to be cut down, but I've seen two other mature trees cut since. Have professionals been consulted prior to cutting these trees? Why are these being cut down? Neither one seemed sick or dead visually. It's disconcerning that so many trees that provide beauty and shade to the park are being removed. Was these removals discussed during the VVPA meetings? Does anyone have any insight?

Last time I checked, there were still plenty of trees in VVP.

Has the tree been cut down yet? One of the guys cutting down the trees asked me for a light. I spoke with him, and he said he thinks the maple is healthy.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Why are so many trees being cut down in VVP?. My understanding was that ONE tree that obviously looked dead due to lack of leaves was going to be cut down, but I've seen two other mature trees cut since. Have professionals been consulted prior to cutting these trees? Why are these being cut down? Neither one seemed sick or dead visually. It's disconcerning that so many trees that provide beauty and shade to the park are being removed. Was these removals discussed during the VVPA meetings? Does anyone have any insight?

Last time I checked, there were still plenty of trees in VVP.

Posted on: 2010/7/30 2:32
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/7/30 2:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/19 17:37
Group:
Registered Users
What a shame that such a beautiful old true had to be cut down! Although I am completely supportive of having to consider safety issues.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Due to safety reasons, a 70? Silver Maple must be removed from Van Vorst Park. We have planted a 25-year-old Copper Beech next to this maple to replace the loss.

The Friends of Van Vorst Park and Marco and Pepe will donate a $100 voucher toward a dinner at M&P to the person who comes closest to guessing the age of this magnificent old tree.

To give you some history and parameters, VVP was deeded to the City of Jersey City in 1835 and was first planted by Peter Henderson in 1851. A Silver Maple has a life span of 130-150 years, however in 1901, a tornado ripped through the park and leveled all but 15 of the original 75 trees.

The tree is located 40? inside the northeast entrance at Montgomery and Barrow on the Montgomery side of the park? a sign will be placed on the trunk. Use the Internet, you?re intuition, or guess, and e-mail the answer to: marcwesson2@aol.com with contact info ?only one vote per e-mail address (please don?t get piggy by trying to get around a single vote per person). A drawing will break ties.

The tree is scheduled to be removed between July 27-30. At least three people will count the rings of the trunk to determine the exact age.

parkman
Tomorrow, the 29th at noon, is the deadline for guesses to be submitted. So far I have ages ranging from 52-159?good luck to all.

Posted on: 2010/7/29 1:17

Guess the age, win a $100 voucher
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Due to safety reasons, a 70? Silver Maple must be removed from Van Vorst Park. We have planted a 25-year-old Copper Beech next to this maple to replace the loss.

The Friends of Van Vorst Park and Marco and Pepe will donate a $100 voucher toward a dinner at M&P to the person who comes closest to guessing the age of this magnificent old tree.

To give you some history and parameters, VVP was deeded to the City of Jersey City in 1835 and was first planted by Peter Henderson in 1851. A Silver Maple has a life span of 130-150 years, however in 1901, a tornado ripped through the park and leveled all but 15 of the original 75 trees.

The tree is located 40? inside the northeast entrance at Montgomery and Barrow on the Montgomery side of the park? a sign will be placed on the trunk. Use the Internet, you?re intuition, or guess, and e-mail the answer to: marcwesson2@aol.com with contact info ?only one vote per e-mail address (please don?t get piggy by trying to get around a single vote per person). A drawing will break ties.

The tree is scheduled to be removed between July 27-30. At least three people will count the rings of the trunk to determine the exact age.

parkman

Posted on: 2010/7/26 3:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017