Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey Avenue Repaving Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Yea...I was shocked. Someone stopped and waved me to cross....I started looking for the candid camera or to see if it was someone in the SUV that I knew. I was like really??? I can proceed without running for my life....But most shocking of all was that the vehicle had New Jersey plates!!!

Posted on: 2009/8/26 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:
Rumble strips and increased enforcement on Jersey Ave are needed. On a positive note those zebra striped crosswalks are a freakin fantastic safety improvement. Noticed a few people slow down and actually stop for pedestrians this morning. Thank you to anyone involved in making this happen.

People slowed down and stopped for pedestrians on Jersey Ave.??? IN THE MORNING? Man, that is amazing. I'm so used to wagging a finger half way through the intersection thinking, "at least when I die, they'll be in trouble 'cause there's a crosswalk here..."

Posted on: 2009/8/26 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Before the city spends one more thin dime on the red brick road project they should make sure every corner in the city has handicap curb cut crosswalks.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
That's not unlike Curb Extensions which could have been easily installed when the city replaced each corner on Jersey Ave and Erie Street as well as elsewhere downtown this past spring. Of course they didn't do that.

Or this example

Posted on: 2009/8/26 16:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Just a thought to improve safety, at the sacrifice of parking

In FL (only place i have seen them), they placed islands in the center of the roads causing divers to make slight turns and hence slow down.... just a thought

Posted on: 2009/8/26 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Rumble strips and increased enforcement on Jersey Ave are needed. On a positive note those zebra striped crosswalks are a freakin fantastic safety improvement. Noticed a few people slow down and actually stop for pedestrians this morning. Thank you to anyone involved in making this happen.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I am simply amazed that the cross walks weren't part of the original contract? This just can't be. Who would be that stupid to forget that traffic markings need to be included in repaving projects. I mean they painted the double yellow no passing lines right away.

I find this highly implausible because on 2nd street and Jersey they did one crossing weeks ago... almost right after the paving was done. Then it stopped. I smell something fishy. Maybe there was a stop work order. Did they need to get paid to finish or something?

I saw today after my original posting they came back and finished another section, and two others are like 99% done - just on 2nd street.

Why they couldn't paint a whole intersection in a day is beyond me. It wasn't THAT hot out today... and they had stopped their work by noon.

But please bring back rumble strips and make sure speeders get tickets. The repaved Jersey Avenue should not be the Jersey City international drag strip and raceway.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2009/8/26 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
I too emailed Fulop about the crosswalks in July.

I'm glad to see they are using the Zebra stripes rather than the parallel lines.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Brightmoment. I am still a little shocked by the fact that a call to Fulop was necessary. You'd think that crosswalks would be a given.

Doesn't matter if it is a painted crosswalk, pressed red asphalt, or big yellow signs on the side of road. All are welcomed improvements over what existed at the intersections prior to the repaving.

The streets/streetscape are getting some much needed attention.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Haha. Like the city cares about pedestrian safety.

They are slowly repainting crosswalks, and some are getting those special "red brick" crosswalks. They did fake brick on Third and Erie and Fourth and Erie about two weeks ago. They painted Third and Jersey yesterday. So they are slow at things, but its coming.

You can thank Steve Fulop and his office for the attention to detail on making sure that the crosswalks downtown are being done.[...]

jclxz wrote:Are you saying it's his fault that we have this ugly red fake brick? Great. Maybe the contractors should have paid some attention to detail and removed some of the red concrete residue that makes it even more obvious that they're fake.

Hey jclxz, you should learn how to use the quote tags as your reply to me in your post makes it look like I wrote what was your comment, so I corrected it here as it should have appeared.

No, my comment was stated that I spoke to Fulop and staff about specific crosswalks (3rd & 2nd @ Jersey Ave) and suggested he check into other crosswalks that intersected at where paving was done. The paving at intersection of Erie and 3rd was completed prior to my observational comments here and I did not speak to him about that intersection. However, any like yourself who have legitimate questions and concern about that intersection should contact Fulop and his office. Fulop's very responsive to those who do more than just post here.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:50
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
BrightMoment wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

They are slowly repainting crosswalks, and some are getting those special "red brick" crosswalks. They did fake brick on Third and Erie and Fourth and Erie about two weeks ago. They painted Third and Jersey yesterday. So they are slow at things, but its coming.

You can thank Steve Fulop and his office for the attention to detail on making sure that the crosswalks downtown are being done.
[/quote]

Are you saying it's his fault that we have this ugly red fake brick? Great. Maybe the contractors should have paid some attention to detail and removed some of the red concrete residue that makes it even more obvious that they're fake.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Thanks BrightMoment! That is fantastic that it was done. I wondered where our crosswalks went and if they'd ever come back. It seems after paving more cars have been speeding along Jersey.

Although no cars stopped for us at the pedestrian crosswalks when they were there - when they were gone, we had zero argument for fingering the speedsters. Now we at least have the same argument as before!

Posted on: 2009/8/25 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

You can thank Steve Fulop and his office for the attention to detail on making sure that the crosswalks downtown are being done.

I contacted Fulop over a week ago after having two vehicles speed past crosswalks I had entered on Jersey at 3rd coming home from Stockinette. Only the west side of 3rd/Jersey crosswalk had it's original crosswalk stripe(it had not been paved) and neither North, South or East crosswalks at that intersection or at 2nd Street had been striped. I suggested they check all crosswalks downtown that intersected with any paving done.

Steve got back to me pronto, contacted the Engineering Dept and found out that the original contract had not included re-striping the crosswalks! They made a "change order" to the original contract to cover what due diligence oversight should have required as part of the original paving contract.

Luckily, we have a responsive Councilman who takes the time to get involved with residents concerns.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 16:43
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
...Also, are there plans to bring back the rumble strips making them more permanent? I would really like to see these return. Since the repaving, everybody is just speeding down Jersey Ave like CRAZY. I guess that's what happens when there are no potholes and the surface is so smooth...

+1!! Couldn't agree more! Without the rumble strips, it's a speedway.

I'd welcome the return of the rumble strips as well as the municipal garbage cans on Jersey north of Newark.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:10
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Jersey Avenue Repaving Project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hello.

Anybody know the status of this? The repaved streets are great. However, work seems to have stopped. I think they repainted just one crosswalk on 2nd street (1 out of 4 crossings for that intersection), but have not seen the rest of the crosswalks finished. I would think crosswalks should be done before school season which is rapidly upon us.

Also, are there plans to bring back the rumble strips making them more permanent? I would really like to see these return. Since the repaving, everybody is just speeding down Jersey Ave like CRAZY. I guess that's what happens when there are no potholes and the surface is so smooth.

Also, any plans to add some stop signs? Maybe Third or 4th Street? This would help with the speeders.

Last but not least, Jersey City Police enforcing the speed limit would help... and have a secondary effect of raising revenues for the city which are really needed.

Thanks

FG

Posted on: 2009/8/25 13:18

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017