Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JCMUA official, Angela Bellizzi, pleads guilty to bribes to secure cut-rate sewer connection per
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/11 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
How can we as citizen's fight against this? How can we work with these people and make sure it's legitimate and timely (appreciating government time frame's are still 10 times longer than most others).

I don't think any of us should tolerate this. How do we put an end to it? Can we start naming names of the inspectors who have all tried to "shake us down". Is that legal? Put up a black list online of all the situations where it has occurred? What?

An online list could cause some trouble, as anyone with an axe to grind could falsely add an inspectors name to that list. Reporting individuals who solicit such bribes to the State Attorney General's Office might be enough.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 18:51

Re: JCMUA official, Angela Bellizzi, pleads guilty to bribes to secure cut-rate sewer connection per
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
How can we as citizen's fight against this? How can we work with these people and make sure it's legitimate and timely (appreciating government time frame's are still 10 times longer than most others).

I don't think any of us should tolerate this. How do we put an end to it? Can we start naming names of the inspectors who have all tried to "shake us down". Is that legal? Put up a black list online of all the situations where it has occurred? What?

Posted on: 2009/8/7 15:29

Re: JCMUA official, Angela Bellizzi, pleads guilty to bribes to secure cut-rate sewer connection permits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
during the real estate boom a few years ago I knew some developers getting jerked around by inspectors. the inspectors would come in give them a list of 3 or 4 things to change and come back a month later and give 3 more things to change. The developers asked for a complete punch list and they were denied. total scumbags.

Some of these changes included getting rid of the brand new sliding glass doors because they weren't fire rated (meanwhile the city previously okd it) , adding more sprinkler heads etc.

The time and money lost because of loans, undoing and redoing work etc was rediculous. It was evident the inspectors were corrupt.

I suggested either video taping the walk thru with the inspectors permission or hiding cameras in the building. They should have listened to me. I told them it was a shake down and they were either too stupid or too scared to take my advice.

If an inspector tried that crap with me i'd throw him down the stairs.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 14:49

Re: JCMUA official, Angela Bellizzi, pleads guilty to bribes to secure cut-rate sewer connection permits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
The small time builder who built my apartment building used to tell me that Jersey City officials would visit his construction site every so often and ask for a few thousand dollars. He said it was part of doing business in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry anything with regularly used plumbing. The making 2 units to 3 is a huge problem though. City planning doesn't take into account this and now you have a parking crisis. I knew i should've gone into politics. My pockets need to be lined well. Though I don't want envelopes of cash. I prefer a shoe box. I'm around a size 12 to 13. Please fill it.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trambone wrote:
This might only apply to restaurants and other eateries(delis, coffee shops, etc). I know of a few businesses that have opened up with no under the table deals. Though they are only retailers.

The big question is shouldn't the captain go down with the ship? Most of these people were hired by or voted in with Healy.

Don't think it's only eateries, the article mentions falsifying an application to make a three bedroom appear like a two bedroom instead.

Don't think everything can be tied back to Healy as an individual but he and his administration has done nothing to curb such practice and it seems have even accepted their share of envelops. Seem to run from the lowest levels of JC government all the way to the top.

It seems that if you want to do something here, you must put aside a certain percentage of a project's cost to bribe people your tax dollars already pay.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
This might only apply to restaurants and other eateries(delis, coffee shops, etc). I know of a few businesses that have opened up with no under the table deals. Though they are only retailers.

The big question is shouldn't the captain go down with the ship? Most of these people were hired by or voted in with Healy.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
No. Hence the empty or half-completed storefronts around here. It can't all be blamed on the economy.

Think you are right, the cash-stuffed envelop culture here must cause many to think twice about doing anything in this city. Large scale developers may have the money to pass around but for someone who wants to say open their first resto, do a gut reno or ground up house build, the culture must make them reluctant or even prevent them from pulling the trigger.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
No. Hence the empty or half-completed storefronts around here. It can't all be blamed on the economy.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Can you get anything done in this city without passing a cash-stuffed envelop?

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
One of many. When will all the others get caught?

Posted on: 2009/8/7 13:09

JCMUA official, Angela Bellizzi, pleads guilty to bribes to secure cut-rate sewer connection permits
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City official pleads guilty to taking bribes

Friday, August 07, 2009
joe ryan
STAR-LEDGER STAFF

Angela Bellizzi, 53, told a federal judge in Newark she accepted hundreds of dollars in cash payment from an undercover government informant posing as a developer. As part of the scheme, Bellizzi said she helped the developer secure cut-rate sewer connection permits for apartments by faking applications to make it appear the units had two bedrooms instead of three.

Weysan Dun, head of the FBI's Newark office, said yesterday's guilty plea was unrelated to last month's federal sting, which netted 44 people, including 12 current and former Jersey City officials.

Ralph J. Marra, the acting U.S. attorney for New Jersey, said the circumstances are similar nonetheless.

"This is just more of the same of what we've seen too often in Jersey City and elsewhere in New Jersey-- public officials and employees in a position of authority abusing that authority to line their pockets," Marra said.

Bellizzi, who pleaded guilty to extortion, was released on $75,000 by U.S. District Judge Susan Wigenton. The judge scheduled sentencing for Nov. 12.

Under the terms of her plea deal, Bellizzi faces up to three years and 10 months in jail, said Jenny Kramer, an assistant U.S. attorney. But judges have wide discretion when imposing sentences.

Bellizzi's lawyer, Anthony J. Iacullo, said she regretted her transgressions. "She has accepted responsibility for what took place," Iacullo said.

Bellizzi, who lives in South River, was fired yesterday from the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority, where she earned $61,000 annually and had worked since 1992, according to a city spokeswoman.

Joe Ryan may be reached at (973) 622-3405 or jryan@starledger.com.

-------------------------------

South River woman admits taking bribes for issuing permits in Jersey City

By KEN SERRANO ? STAFF WRITER ? August 6, 2009

MIDDLESEX COUNTY ? A South River woman admitted in federal court Thursday to extorting payments from contractors while working as a supervisor for permits and connection fees for the Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority.
Advertisement

Angela Bellizzi, 53, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted extortion in U.S. District Court, Newark, prior to indictment.

She is free on $75,000 bond until her sentencing. It is scheduled for Nov. 12.

"This is just more of the same of what we've seen too often in Jersey City and elsewhere in New Jersey ? public officials and employees in a position of authority abusing that authority to line their pockets," said Ralph Marra Jr., acting U.S. attorney, in a prepared statement.

In court, Bellizzi admitted to accepting cash payments in exchange for her agreement to falsify sewer permit applications submitted by a government cooperating witness, authorities said. The doctored applications made it appear that sewer connections would be for two-bedroom residences instead of the actual three-bedroom homes, meaning lower permit application fees. Bellizzi acknowledged that she either falsified the applications herself or told contractors how to do it, authorities said.

She took bribes of between $200 to $500 from the government witness and told the witness she ordinarily demanded payments of $300 from contractors in the scheme, authorities said. She acknowledged the scheme lasted from January 2005 to June 2008 and cost the authority between $70,000 and $120,000 in lost fees.

The charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, but sentencing guidelines call for between 37 and 46 months in federal prison.

The case had no connection to the recent FBI sweep that led to corruption and money laundering charges against 44 people.

==========

Posted on Thu, Aug. 6, 2009

NJ utilities supervisor admits extortion scheme

The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. - A Jersey City utilities supervisor has pleaded guilty to taking bribes in exchange for falsifying permit applications.

Angela Bellizzi admitted Thursday in U.S. District Court in Newark that she accepted cash payments from a government cooperating witness who sought sewer permits. She said she falsified permit applications to save money for the applicant.

In exchange, the 53-year-old South River resident said she received between $200 and $500 on several occasions.

She faces a prison term of about three to four years in prison when she is sentenced in November.

The investigation of Bellizzi was not related to the recent federal corruption probe in which more than a dozen elected and appointed officials with connections to Jersey City were arrested.

Posted on: 2009/8/7 9:20

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017