Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
134 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Mass Transit Ridership
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH is a grade separated dedicated right of way heavy rail rapid transit system characterized by rapid acceleration and deceleration, high passenger volume, and high platform boarding. It has nothing to do with being below ground, above ground or elevated, as all three modes may be used in a heavy rail or rapid transit system.

The PATH is in no way a light rail system.

Light may share a right of way with vehicle traffic, accelerates and decelerate at a slow rate, and has a low maximum speed. Vehicles are mostly lighter than commuter and rapid transit vehicles specifically because of the shared right of way with automobiles.

Commuter rail, or Suburban rail, is distinct from rapid transit in that acceleration is slower, embarking and disembarking takes more time, there may be grade crossings, share track with freight or other passenger rail service, and primarily connects regional cities with outlying suburbs.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
PATH runs intracity in New York and then becomes intercity when it connects NYC with Jersey City, Hoboken, Harrison and Newark. It runs underground until it comes above ground between Grove and Journal Square where it is very much above ground for the long run though the meadowlands and onto Harrison and Newark.

I think PATH qualifies for listing as much as several of the others mentioned as "light rail" and of course has a ridership that makes it one of the very BIGGEST competitors.

It really MUST be counted as either Light Rail or Commuter train...after all, it EXISTS and has cars and wheels.
As light rail, with 250,000 commuters per day, it easily is the largest.
As commuter rail it is the 5th largest in the nation.

It certainly cannot be counted as an inner city under-ground subway if it connects 2 STATES and 5 cities.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/20 19:23
Group:
Banned
well jeez and all along I thought the distinction was just that the PATH and other subway systems have lots of trains and go zooming along at 40+ mph while light rails usually go a lot slower, have to deal with traffic, and are much smaller trains.

which I'm pretty sure is the distiction. Not sure what the hell schedules and terminuses have to do with whether something is light rail or not.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petey8 wrote:
The PATH and Light Rail schedules provide times for each station for each trip, except during rush hour.

The PATH only adheres to the schedule when leaving the terminus. The "schedule" between stops is not assured. If a train is running ahead of schedule, it corrects itself only at the terminus. If its behind schedule, so it goes. This is different than commuter rail, which if ahead of schedule will correct at each station, except in the case where the schedule notes that the train might leave ahead of schedule.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 18:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/7 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
The PATH and Light Rail schedules provide times for each station for each trip, except during rush hour.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SonOfPizzazz wrote:
PATH/HBLR/NYCT trains operate on a schedule just like intercity heavy rail.

Only when departing from a terminus.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 18:49
Group:
Banned
PATH/HBLR/NYCT trains operate on a schedule just like intercity heavy rail.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
sure.. if you want to get technical

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The other distinction is that the PATH and NYC subway are forms of rapid transit, which run at set intervals with high levels of frequency, usually as intracity transit. Commuter rail runs less frequently but on a fixed schedule and operates as intercity transit.

Light rail systems usually operate as hybrids between these two models, and often are included as part of a larger system.

Some systems operate as a combined rapid transit / light rail; like the T in Boston, though the MBTA also operate commuter rail, or the London Underground and the Docklands Light Rail, which also operates as integrated systems.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Xerxes wrote:
Why isn't PATH counted among the rail systems linked in the first post?
Or for that matter, the New York Subway system?

Because the other rail systems are predominantly above ground while path/ny subway is predominantly below.

Posted on: 2009/7/1 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Why isn't PATH counted among the rail systems linked in the first post?
Or for that matter, the New York Subway system?

Posted on: 2009/7/1 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
it is called the Hudson Bergen Light Rail?, no.

while, LRT on the 6th Embankment could be considered redundent with NJ Transit from Hoboken Terminal, the right of way should be preserved for a time that it could be viably used. Abandoning any rail right of way should proceed cautiously and prudently.

It could be considered redundant if you live east of Jersey Avenue, but probably less redundant if you live on Brunswick Street, or Baldwin Avenue, or JFK Blvd.

Also, mass transit systems sometimes fail; redundancies allow for, well, redundancies. Like when the PATH signal fails shutting the system, or like an Amtrak Catenary takes out the overhead wires on the northeast corridor.

As to the Bayonne Bridge; it is capable of another two lanes of vehicle traffic, which could be used for a light rail line. However, the bridge needs replacing soon and must be higher for ships. The idea of running the light rail line into Staten Island has been floated, and supported by NY Senator Schumer, to extend as far as the east side of Staten Island along the old north shore rail lines.

The PATH will soon be inundated with commuters. Even though the building boom has slowed some, the number of planned units on the books would overwhelm the system. 15,000 or so in Harrison, 20,000 or so in the downtown, and that is even before revitalizing Newark.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 23:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Or how about the proposal to extend the Light Rail to the meadowlands? its embarrassing that NYC has no real mass transit to one if its major sporting arenas. There are apparently the occasional busses that run from the Port Authority, but they do nothing to alleviate the congestion of thousands of cars coming in and out of the stadium on game day. and it does nothing for the fans who live in NJ. It would be nice to be able to hop on a Light rail and go straight to the stadium to save a lot of time and money. And Im sure the ridiculous Xanadu complex could only benefit from more mass transit too.

THey are nearing completion of the NJT rail line to the meadowlands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meadowlands_(NJT_station)

Posted on: 2009/6/30 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
it is called the Hudson Bergen Light Rail?, no.

while, LRT on the 6th Embankment could be considered redundent with NJ Transit from Hoboken Terminal, the right of way should be preserved for a time that it could be viably used. Abandoning any rail right of way should proceed cautiously and prudently.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:Extending it to the Vince Lombardi park and ride, another plan, could have really decreased traffic entering the waterfront area, Hoboken and Jersey City's offices.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Or how about the proposal to extend the Light Rail to the meadowlands? its embarrassing that NYC has no real mass transit to one if its major sporting arenas. There are apparently the occasional busses that run from the Port Authority, but they do nothing to alleviate the congestion of thousands of cars coming in and out of the stadium on game day. and it does nothing for the fans who live in NJ. It would be nice to be able to hop on a Light rail and go straight to the stadium to save a lot of time and money. And Im sure the ridiculous Xanadu complex could only benefit from more mass transit too.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 22:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 18:49
Group:
Banned
Shep,

They're extending the light rail to 8th street for now. An extension to SI depends entirely on the plans for the future of the Bayonne Bridge. The arch is too low for many container ships, and could kill Port Newark / Elizabeth in the future as container ships get larger and larger. Current proposals include replacement or an actual lifting of the bridge. For now, interstate bus service serving the 8th street station will be the MO.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
Public transit in JC is incredibly important. In this day and age it is next to impossible to get a subway extended or built. With impact statements, costs and everyone suing everyone something like the PATH or NYC subway couldn?t be built today. As an example the second ave line in NYC is a 40 year project?still no where near complete, hopefully the PATH holds up another 100 years!

They have a rare opportunity to use the remaining unused RR right of way for the light rail here in JC...6th street embankment to Bergen Arches to Secaucus and beyond. If that falls through it would be a shame as it is the last bit of land they could use downtown (without having to tear down whole city blocks).

Also, i recently rode my bike out to the Bayonne Bridge, it looks like they may be trying to extend the light rail towards it. Are they thinking of going to SI with it?

The proposed PATH extension to the Bronx after 911 was the coolest transit proposal i have seen yet...too bad it didnt work.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What does amaze me is the extensions that were suggested / planned but never built, and how they would have increased ridership and mobility in the region.

One plan included an extension all the way through Paterson; that would have had I think a profound effect on ridership and the redevelopment efforts of Paterson. Extending it to the Vince Lombardi park and ride, another plan, could have really decreased traffic entering the waterfront area, Hoboken and Jersey City's offices.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 19:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would love for them to put one up 6th street.. but thats just because i am too lazy to walk ALL the way down to Harsimus Cove/Newport stops.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
They should expand the HBLR and PATH. I remember when they built the HBLR certain types were complaining that the light rail was a waste of money. Whose laughing now?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 17:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Riding back from work in Hoboken...i am riding on 700X25c tires blew out in a pot hole that did a number on my rim... again

thats why i am excited/waiting in anticipation of the bridge to yuppy (sp?) vill

Posted on: 2009/6/30 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nivekt13 wrote:
I ride it to work nearly every day (now that i broke another bike), i am a huge fan. So far it has been very clean, and on schedule.

Fix that bike ! By the way how did you break it ?

Posted on: 2009/6/30 17:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I ride it to work nearly every day (now that i broke another bike), i am a huge fan. So far it has been very clean, and on schedule.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 17:02

Mass Transit Ridership
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Some little facts I found interesting:

Daily ridership of the HBLR is, as of last August, about 45,000.

That would make it 7th in the country among commuter railroads if counted separately from NJ Transit, or 11th of light rail services, which includes Boston's T, Philly's Septa, and LA's metro.

However, last year during the APW concert, the HBLR moved 65,000 riders in a day.

Meanwhile, the PATH was averaging 250,000 in January; or about 8th in the country for rapid transit systems. With 17,000 riders per mile, only New York surpasses the PATH when considering passengers per mile.

Posted on: 2009/6/30 16:26

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017