Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Participate in the campaign to get better PATH service - fixmypath.com
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
I just wanted to take a quick second and post some additional information as I recognize there have been several concerns posted on this site.

While the fixmypath site is far from perfect, it was done on a very limited budget with very limited resources. Going forward, I will correct most of the issues that have been mentioned here and improve them before the next mass e-mail.

What is clear though is that there are many issues with the PATH service and we are just scraping the surface. Regardless of whether you care about just Newport, or holiday service, or just weekends, or just Grove Street, or next summer?s Exchange Place, what we all do agree on is that if Jersey City is to continue progressing, the PATH service needs to be improved significantly on multiple fronts.

Where we stand now is that there have been over 1000 e-mails sent via the fixmypath site and the Port Authority recognized the e-mails to the point that they drafted a response filled with twisted facts. It is a positive because we are early in the process but they thought it was important enough to respond? I have reached out to the mayor?s office to work together on setting the meeting with the Port Authority. The mayor's office has been responsive in willingness to work together on this and I am sure once the election passes it is something that we will be able to push forward more aggressively. I hope this provides some additional background on where we are with regards to the site and process.

Please e-mail me if you have any additional question.
Sincerely
Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2008/11/3 2:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/2 22:26
Group:
Registered Users
The operation of the PATH system is completely incompetent.

No need to go through fixmypath.com. Just email Michael Depallo (Director/General Manager of the PATH) directly and tell him so:

mdepallo@panynj.gov

Posted on: 2008/11/2 22:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
PATH works fine for me........maybe because I don't get on at Newport LOL

Posted on: 2008/11/2 7:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
what about fixthefixmypathsite.com

Posted on: 2008/10/30 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Don't know where this fits in but I was trying to take the PATH from Pavonia Newport in to 33rd Street and it was so full I had to (like others) run down 2 cars to try and fit in AND I COULDN'T FIT IN! It's the first time I wasn't able to even squeeze in to one of the cars and had to wait for the next one. sigh.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, I can't hold back any longer.

Quote:
At first I thought it was a bit assanine, until I read (and this is assuming it's true) that they're going to use the PATH to carry building materials to the site from Jersey. That sounds like a pretty reasonable use of resources to me- fewer tractor trailers jamming up the tunnels & downtown, and delivery directly to the site.

Using the PATH tracks to move building materials to the WTC construction site certainly seems like a worthwhile cause. That is, until you realize that the main reason for the PATH closure is to prioritize the 9/11 Memorial so that it can be completed in time for the tenth anniversary of the attacks.

From the Star-Ledger: Increased costs, extended deadlines are unveiled for Ground Zero construction
Quote:
The roof of the hub's PATH station will also serve as the floor of the Memorial Plaza and will be built first -- a "construction solution" officials say will help assure the memorial is mainly completed by Sept. 11, 2011, the 10th anniversary of the attacks. (Some of the 500 trees in a cobblestone plaza may not be planted and a visitor's center may not be open, the report said).

From the NY Times: New Ground Zero Timetable Fails to Convert Some Skeptics
Quote:
Even in the best case ... it will be necessary to suspend service on the No. 1 subway line below Chambers Street for six weeks in 2010, with some temporary shutdowns ?as necessary? in 2009. He also said PATH service to the World Trade Center station would be closed on most weekends starting next summer and stretching out three years, for 40 weekends out of each year.

New Plan Sees 9/11 Memorial Open by 2011
Quote:
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and the memorial foundation have vigorously insisted in recent weeks that the $610 million memorial must be open to the public by Sept. 11, 2011, a goal that the authority had until recently said was impossible.

$610 MILLION??? Sure, sounds like a bargain when compared to the estimate of ONE BILLION DOLLARS for the original plans for the memorial. But considering that the entire WTC Transit Hub is budgeted at less than $3B, and the Freedom Tower itself is going to cost $3.1B, spending 20% of that on a memorial seems to me like a colossal waste of money.

There, I said it.

I know it's not a particularly popular stance to take, and I certainly intend no disrespect to the family and friends of anyone who was killed on 9/11. But spending that kind of money to commemorate the most egregious intelligence failure in US history? It's absolutely ridiculous. Couldn't a reasonable and respectful memorial be built for a tenth of that cost and without unnecessary disruption to the public transportation system?

Funding for the memorial is reported to come from private donations and the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (link). But the State of New York is still using at least $80 million of taxpayer money to build the pavilion, and guess were the LMDC gets most of their money? It comes from a grant given by our federal government (link).

This isn't a battlefield or the site of a horrible natural disaster--it's an office building hosted on some of the most prime real estate in the entire country. What happened on 9/11/01 was a terrible, terrible tragedy and those were killed that day deserve to be remembered. But I assure you that nobody is going to forget what happened there, with or without a $610M memorial. Spending hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars on this project and displacing countless commuters to rush its completion for an arbitrary date is absolutely reprehensible. But unfortunately you won't hear that from anyone in power, as it would be political suicide for any politician who dared oppose it and risk being branded as "unsympathetic," or even more unfairly--"unpatriotic. "

I'm continually amazed at how our country has managed to take a terrible situation and just continue to make it worse. From the Patriot Act to the fear-mongering that got GWB re-elected in 2004 to the false war in Iraq, the 9/11 attacks have represented success for Al-Qaeda beyond anything they could have ever anticipated. And they have us to thank for most of it.

Don't you think Osama bin Laden would love to come and visit an overpriced memorial to his greatest victory against the USA? You bet. The WTC memorial is just one more page in the book I'd like to call The Terrorists Have Already Won.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There have been well thought out systematic efforts to advocate for improved PATH service and better approaches to temporary changes due to construction/work not only by individuals, but also -

the NJ Association of Railroad Passengers - http://www.nj-arp.org/

and

Mia Scanga and http://www.talkingpolitics.net/

I would like to see our mayor and city council members take a holistic approach to the PATH system and its impact on the future of Jersey City - be it expansion or service (including addressing massive increases in ridership to come from "smart growth" policies and from development in Journal Square, Harrison and Newark) and ensure that the Jersey City traffic circulation study currently underway - "Jersey City Mobility 2050" not just addresses this, but also produces an action plan to bring to the Port Authority and Governors of NJ and NY.

Quote:

RiverRat wrote:
I agree with the criticisms of the current fixmypath.org, but I wonder where the other politicians are in supporting any demands for better service. I've only been in JC for 8 years and I may have missed it, but this is the first time I remember any politician speak out directly against the PA and how they are running PATH.

I do wish Fulop would open up this site to the broader community, and let it be a catalyst for the more permanent advocacy group that is needed to balance the monolithic PATH and the PA.

As to the details of the PATH excuses for the WTC disruptions, I'm sure there is some way they can alternate the freight trains and the passenger trains that will still provide for weekend travelers.

The problem is that the heart of the PA is a for profit company, and they loose money when it comes to PATH operations. We have to make it in their economic interests to improve service, or we need to restructure or replace the PA.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 13:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/25 11:02
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with the criticisms of the current fixmypath.org, but I wonder where the other politicians are in supporting any demands for better service. I've only been in JC for 8 years and I may have missed it, but this is the first time I remember any politician speak out directly against the PA and how they are running PATH.

I do wish Fulop would open up this site to the broader community, and let it be a catalyst for the more permanent advocacy group that is needed to balance the monolithic PATH and the PA.

As to the details of the PATH excuses for the WTC disruptions, I'm sure there is some way they can alternate the freight trains and the passenger trains that will still provide for weekend travelers.

The problem is that the heart of the PA is a for profit company, and they loose money when it comes to PATH operations. We have to make it in their economic interests to improve service, or we need to restructure or replace the PA.

Posted on: 2008/10/30 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:

Click on the "IT GETS WORSE" flashing button on the home page for further information.

Pleasant travels!

www.fixmypath.com

http://www.fixmypath.com

CLicking on the "it gets worse" and then saying "no" to the Newport issues STILL sends a letter out complaining about the Newport station. (Which, of course, you only figure out after hitting send and get sent a copy of your letter.)

Posted on: 2008/10/29 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What we need is a Governor from Hudson or Essex County, not a Governor from Manhattan.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
That was before they announced the weekend closure then I got this update email from the website

Dear Fellow PATH Commuter,

YES, like many of you we are aware of the Port Authority's impending closure of the WTC Station on weekends for the next 3 years.

We have updated our website and campaign to reflect our extreme dissatisfaction with this outrageous plan of the PA.

If you are employed in Lower Manhattan and equally frustrated by this imposition on you, please revisit our website and participate in a new email campaign option to your State's Governor and the Deputy Director of the Port Authority.

Click on the "IT GETS WORSE" flashing button on the home page for further information.

Pleasant travels!

www.fixmypath.com

http://www.fixmypath.com

Posted on: 2008/10/29 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the email from Councilman Fulop regarding the fixmypath.com website and the PATH in general.

Last month, I authored a formal resolution that was approved by the City Council and sent to the Port Authority of NY/NJ formally requesting fairness with regard to increased PATH service on the weekends and weeknights. Councilwoman Beth Mason in Hoboken will have a similar request on the Hoboken City Council agenda this month, as we seek the same similar resolutions from councils in Newark and Harrison.

As we approach next year's governor's race in New Jersey, the time for action on an important Hudson County issue is now. I have attached a link for a website www.fixmypath.com which I am using as a tool to show our elected leaders the importance consistent PATH service on nights and weekends to Hudson County residents.

Every signature added to the "solution" page at www.fixmypath.com will generate an e-mail to Governor Corzine, Governor Patterson, and the appropriate individuals at the Port Authority. Lets collectively advocate for Governor Corzine to get the Port Authority to give us the services we deserve. This is an issue about safety, about accessibility, and about your tax dollars. I believe that the collective voice carries the most weight and that if we can generate enough e-mails to our elected officials, we can achieve our goal.

Right now, the Port Authority, the bi-state commission is undertaking a massive amount of infrastructure improvements as well as building a new state-of-the-art PATH station at the former World Trade Center site. What we in New Jersey are asking for is a fair and accommodating train schedule along with some relatively minor improvements to one of our more crowded stations.

Please sign the petition at www.fixmypath.com and pass this along to your friends, your neighbors, and your community groups - Together we can make a difference.

Sincerely,
Steven Fulop
Councilman Ward "E" Jersey City

This message was sent by: Fulop for Jersey City, Ward "E", Jersey City, NJ 07302