Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Used Cooking Oil Spill on Newark Avenue btw Barrows and Grove Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:
Can't speak to the guilt or innocence of Skinner's Loft (although I do find their fare altogether too grease-laden to be palatable), BUT illicit dumping of cooking oils into municipal sewers is an open secret in the restaurant trade.

In fact, the WSJ had an A-head (cover story feature) about this very problem a couple of years ago. I recall reading therein that Chinese restaurants allegedly were the most notorious offenders.

Maybe the solution is pumping the sewers full of Lipitor! I'm sure the Jersey phrama lobby can convince the state assembly to add a budget provision to fund such a worthy cause...

NOW it makes sense: Jersey City sewers get so clogged with restaurant oil that they get backed up and make Jersey City smell like poop. Mystery solved!

Posted on: 2008/5/25 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
To think these idiots are dumping this on the street when people down south are robbing it from restaurants!

Thieves stealing used cooking oil for biodiesel
BY STAN FINGER
The Wichita Eagle

The price of gasoline has gotten so high that people have begun to steal used cooking oil.

"There's somebody, or multiple people, out there stealing our cooking oil," said Ben Healy of Healy Biodiesel in Sedgwick.

Healy's company converts used vegetable cooking oil into biodiesel, and he has contracts with more than 100 restaurants in and around Wichita to pick up their old oil.

But thieves have been cutting into locked storage areas behind restaurants since mid-March and stealing the vegetable oil, he said. While he doesn't have a precise number, Healy said, the total stolen is in the thousands of gallons.

"It's getting to where it's hurting us pretty bad," Healy said.

Wichita police Lt. Joe Cutcliff said the thieves may be taking the oil elsewhere for resale -- or they may be simply be trying to convert the vegetable oil into biodiesel for their own use.

"This is the first case that we've had" of cooking oil theft, Cutcliff said.

Healy fears it will be far from the last.

"I would say that there's a lot of people doing it -- taking it for biodiesel and making it in their garages or barns," he said.

Posted on: 2008/5/24 6:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/24 3:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/25 17:29
Group:
Registered Users
Can't speak to the guilt or innocence of Skinner's Loft (although I do find their fare altogether too grease-laden to be palatable), BUT illicit dumping of cooking oils into municipal sewers is an open secret in the restaurant trade.

In fact, the WSJ had an A-head (cover story feature) about this very problem a couple of years ago. I recall reading therein that Chinese restaurants allegedly were the most notorious offenders.

Maybe the solution is pumping the sewers full of Lipitor! I'm sure the Jersey phrama lobby can convince the state assembly to add a budget provision to fund such a worthy cause...

Posted on: 2008/5/24 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Sounds like a bio-fuel heist gone bad.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 13:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

djh101 wrote:
Quote:
I was and am concerned since I am a resident nearby and asked the local police (i.e., car #2997) what was the problem. He quipped by stating, "Do you have a problem?"

Hmmmm........a Jersey City cop acting like a colossal ignorant a-hole for no good reason? Hard to believe.

(insert sarcasm here)

As far as the cop is concerned he should have stated he was on duty and to engage in answering the inquiry would have distracted him from monitoring the safety of the area; but not in so many words of course. Or he could have stated " oil spill". I had a cop give me a cut & dry answer to what was happening.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Nubbia wrote:
I was wondering why there was sand all over the street. It was cooking oil?? Why would a restaurant dump oil in the middle of a street? That cannot be true.

Maybe the hired help "incharge" of handling discarded cooking oil tried to cut corners and took a shortcut in disposing of said oil.

Posted on: 2008/5/23 11:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/2 23:24
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering why there was sand all over the street. It was cooking oil?? Why would a restaurant dump oil in the middle of a street? That cannot be true.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 1:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I was and am concerned since I am a resident nearby and asked the local police (i.e., car #2997) what was the problem. He quipped by stating, "Do you have a problem?"

Hmmmm........a Jersey City cop acting like a colossal ignorant a-hole for no good reason? Hard to believe.

(insert sarcasm here)

Posted on: 2008/5/22 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
If you did have a problem, I believe that you think Barrow street is called "Barrows".

Doesn't justify the 'tude however.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 1:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/14 20:45
Group:
Registered Users
so much for JCPD's "Courtesy" in the C.A.R.E. department motto...

Posted on: 2008/5/21 23:02

Used Cooking Oil Spill on Newark Avenue btw Barrows and Grove Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/3 20:00
Group:
Registered Users
This afternoon on my way to Brick Haus on the corner of Barrows and Newark, I noticed that Newark Avenue between Barrows and Grove Street was completely blocked off by the police. I was and am concerned since I am a resident nearby and asked the local police (i.e., car #2997) what was the problem. He quipped by stating, "Do you have a problem?" I walked away.

I simply asked a concerned question just like any other normal resident would regarding the circumstances. Why is it that the police officers in Jersey City have so much attitude?

From word of mouth, I found out the reason for the closure of the road. It appears, Skinner's Loft allegedly dumped used cooking oil onto Newark Avenue.

Does anyone have additional information regarding this nuisance? I would appreciate it if I was cognizant of all the facts. Thank you.

Thousand Dollar Question
Who is going to pay for this debacle?

Posted on: 2008/5/21 22:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017