Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
168 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Cars beat mass transit for Hudson commuters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/22 9:03
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
It strikes me as completely unbelievable that only 2% of the people in Hudson County rely on the PATH as "their primary way to get to work or school". The population of Hudson County is about 600K (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/34017.html) so 2% would be just 12,000 people commuting to NYC each day. There is something very wrong with the polling methodology that they employed (maybe just interviewing those with land lines who are around during business hours?). Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that 600,000 x 0.02 = 12,000, but I don't think so. Hoboken and downtown JC PATH commuters alone have to be a multiple of this.

The number does seem off but perhaps not too far off.

Remember it is a daily percent and only those using the PATH as their "primary" way of getting to work. What you also need to look at is the population of the areas around the PATH stations, those stations do not serve all of Hudson County they really only serve the people in that specific area of Hudson County. Anyone not living within walking distance of a PATH train usually hops a bus or Ferry to NYC. I know plenty of people who live in Hoboken, Union City, Jersey City etc that take buses into nyc because it's more convenient.

If you look at the PATH train in Hoboken I would say a large percentage, perhaps even 50% or more are people coming in on MTA & NJ transit trains from North Jersey and transferring. The Hoboken train station is a mob scene of people heading onto the PATH.

Ian's right about the need to expand rail service to PA. The State's infrastructure is years behind where it needs to be.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Harrison will probably get busier before things get better. There are a few thousand new units of housing going in adjacent to that station.

Over all, NJ transit needs to make some expansions sooner rather than later. Two of the more critical lines are reinstating service to Easton, PA, which runs roughly parallel to 78. And the other line is an extension to the Poconos, which does more for relieving GWB traffic and 80. In addition, at rush hour, every train running into Penn Station should be those fancy new double decker jobs, at least until they double the tunnel capacity.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 13:23

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 16:47
Group:
Registered Users
Also doesn't help ridership when bus lines are being cut, basically cutting off an entire community from even reaching JSQ or Grove St. PATH stations.

Also, I usually commute into Newark and one of the reasons the PATH is so crowded in the morning is because at the Harrison Station, they are standing from the edge of the platform to the back of the wall packing into the trains before it even gets to JSQ or Grove st. Theres a huge parking lot there for everyone driving in from other parts of NJ and even Pennsylvania these days. When I visit family in PA, a 3 1/2 hour ride away, there are people on that bus commuting into NY everyday!!! Talk about a decline in quality of life when your roundtrip commute is as long as your day at work. WTF???

Posted on: 2008/3/21 7:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/27 22:26
Group:
Banned
Yeah, this does not seem right. I use mass transit or just walk 70 percent of the time ..even though i have a car.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
It strikes me as completely unbelievable that only 2% of the people in Hudson County rely on the PATH as "their primary way to get to work or school". The population of Hudson County is about 600K (http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/34/34017.html) so 2% would be just 12,000 people commuting to NYC each day. There is something very wrong with the polling methodology that they employed (maybe just interviewing those with land lines who are around during business hours?). Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that 600,000 x 0.02 = 12,000, but I don't think so. Hoboken and downtown JC PATH commuters alone have to be a multiple of this.

Nevertheless, for what it's worth; I do see more opportunity for private transportation options becoming "greener" than mass transit.

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Cars beat mass transit for Hudson commuters

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Forget the PATH, the Light Rail and buses - to get where they need to go, most Hudson County residents drive their cars, according to a Jersey Journal/New Jersey City University poll.

Sixty percent said driving a car is their primary way to get to work or school, compared to 13 percent for both walking and taking the bus. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is the main conveyance for 6 percent and the PATH for just 2 percent.

Access to a car is important for living in Hudson County, 68 percent of respondents said, and 51 percent drive every day, with another 19 percent driving a couple of times a week. Also, 62 percent said they mostly drive when going somewhere other than work.

On the other hand, 76 percent said access to public transportation is an important reason for living in the county, and 58 percent said there is enough of it, against 37 percent who said there is not.

So why don't more people use public transportation?

"The problem may not be in the rail lines, but in housing," said NJCU political science professor Fran Moran, who conducted the poll. "That is, it seems likely that more people would use the rail system if their housing were closer to the rail stops."

"Of course, developers are also aware of that, and housing within easy access of the rail system is prohibitively expensive for most residents in the county," he said.

PATH spokesman Marc LaVorgna said the 2 percent figure for PATH ridership was "far too low," although he didn't have more accurate data readily available.

Moran said he too was surprised by the result, but said the fact that PATH only serves three cities in Hudson County may account for the low number.

Posted on: 2008/3/21 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
yes, im a bike rider too and i use it to commute from jsq to my job in hoboken, but unfortunately, sometimes there is the temptation to go into that neighbor 5 borough city every once in a while and there is no other option but the PATH on weekends. they basically have a monopoly on people without cars for getting into the city and so they can let service slide and they dont give a shit.
like 2 weeks ago when the trains completely shut down and a lot of people were stranded or had to get to JSq to take a bus to Port Authority. There was no one there to inform people what to do and how to do it. I just feel a little competition from a light rail or a ped tunnel would help them step up their game.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
More bicycle racks and folding bikes would solve everyone's situation.

If there were also good bike lanes.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
GrovePath wrote:
Ride your bike!

[quote]

lol, believe it or not it's one of the reasons I started riding.

Now if only they built that pedestrian/bike bridge!

Posted on: 2008/3/20 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ride your bike!

Quote:

Mathias wrote:
The problem is that public transportation in Hudson County is almost exclusively geared towards getting a certain percentage of the population into NYC for work and that's it (ever take the Path or NJT into nyc on the weekends - super packed trains running less frequent).

Even with just nyc commuters as its focus they do a pretty bad job.

Path stations are the most anti-human, sterile, mortuary like structures/buildings I think I have ever been in. I have used Path trains since the late 80s and the facilities only seem to get worse. Most of the stations do not have bathrooms, the one that does (JSQ) the bathrooms are disgusting and almost every time I have had to use it they were closed. There is nowhere to put your trash so you either have to hold on to it or do like many people do - leave it all over the station.

The stations that do have benches or places to sit don't have enough something like 8 seats for the hundred or so people who wait on the platform. The benches they do have are the most uncomfortable wooden monstrosities probably bought on the cheap from a jail doing renovations.

Lastly, for now, there are those 1984 like TV's all over the place that serve absolutely no purpose. I always feel like I am in some bad sci-fi flick when i see them.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is that public transportation in Hudson County is almost exclusively geared towards getting a certain percentage of the population into NYC for work and that's it (ever take the Path or NJT into nyc on the weekends - super packed trains running less frequent).

Even with just nyc commuters as its focus they do a pretty bad job.

Path stations are the most anti-human, sterile, mortuary like structures/buildings I think I have ever been in. I have used Path trains since the late 80s and the facilities only seem to get worse. Most of the stations do not have bathrooms, the one that does (JSQ) the bathrooms are disgusting and almost every time I have had to use it they were closed. There is nowhere to put your trash so you either have to hold on to it or do like many people do - leave it all over the station.

The stations that do have benches or places to sit don't have enough something like 8 seats for the hundred or so people who wait on the platform. The benches they do have are the most uncomfortable wooden monstrosities probably bought on the cheap from a jail doing renovations.

Lastly, for now, there are those 1984 like TV's all over the place that serve absolutely no purpose. I always feel like I am in some bad sci-fi flick when i see them.

Posted on: 2008/3/20 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/13 20:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

But you know, let's not build high rise towers next to PATH stations, because it might ruin the character of under populated neighborhoods.

More bicycle racks and folding bikes would solve everyone's situation.[/quote]

I'm sure on a rainy day like today everyone who is used to driving their car will have no problem hopping on a bike and pedaling their way through the storm to get to the train station.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
It's a well known fact that New Jersey and America (for that matter) has grossly underinvested in its public transportation system. Urban/suburban sprawl has not helped either. So, it's not surprising that the cars beat mass transit.

Transportation officials need to look at expaning the PATH and light rail.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

"The problem may not be in the rail lines, but in housing," said NJCU political science professor Fran Moran, who conducted the poll. "That is, it seems likely that more people would use the rail system if their housing were closer to the rail stops."

But you know, let's not build high rise towers next to PATH stations, because it might ruin the character of under populated neighborhoods.

More bicycle racks and folding bikes would solve everyone's situation.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2008/3/19 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users

Wednesday, March 19, 2008
By PAUL KOEPP
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Forget the PATH, the Light Rail and buses - to get where they need to go, most Hudson County residents drive their cars, according to a Jersey Journal/New Jersey City University poll.

Sixty percent said driving a car is their primary way to get to work or school, compared to 13 percent for both walking and taking the bus. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is the main conveyance for 6 percent and the PATH for just 2 percent.

Access to a car is important for living in Hudson County, 68 percent of respondents said, and 51 percent drive every day, with another 19 percent driving a couple of times a week. Also, 62 percent said they mostly drive when going somewhere other than work.

On the other hand, 76 percent said access to public transportation is an important reason for living in the county, and 58 percent said there is enough of it, against 37 percent who said there is not.

"Of course, developers are also aware of that, and housing within easy access of the rail system is prohibitively expensive for most residents in the county," he said.

PATH spokesman Marc LaVorgna said the 2 percent figure for PATH ridership was "far too low," although he didn't have more accurate data readily available.

Moran said he too was surprised by the result, but said the fact that PATH only serves three cities in Hudson County may account for the low number.

Posted on: 2008/3/19 13:21

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017