Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Journal Square: Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past -- Bally Total Fitness Center is coming
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I was working in the Trust Company when they were shooting scenes in the Canton for movie. All the dressing rooms (those RV kind of things) were parked along Bergen Ave in front of the bank and down the street towards the C-Town. People in the departments upstairs were hanging out the windows taking pictures. I never saw such a happy group of employees!

Posted on: 2009/3/30 15:19

Re: Journal Square: Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past -- Bally Total Fitness Center is coming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
The most sriking thing about the Canton's faded elegance was the horsehoe kind of sitting on stepped tiers around the "dance floor"/stage.
It was like being in a '30's movie.

Or Lucy going to see Ricky perform at the "Tropicana."

And you got all this for a $10 meal that was quite good. Best was their WOR SHU OPP (pressed duck.)

I got in a rut where I would deposit my check (at the Trust Comapany) and cross the street and have my Friday meal.

BTW, If you remember the movie about the three drag queens, "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar," the big openiing number before they set off cross country is set in the CANTON.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 14:58

Re: Journal Square: Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past -- Bally Total Fitness Center is co

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/12 12:49
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
God I miss Canton. They don't make restaurants like those anymore.

Posted on: 2009/3/29 2:22

Re: Journal Square: Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past -- Bally Total Fitness Center is co
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Didn't Bally's file for bankrupcy just recently? Yet again?!?

Posted on: 2009/1/21 23:10
Come on and rock me Amadeus

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 21:22
Group:
Registered Users
I loved the Canton! It was my favorite restaurant and I have loads of those little glasses and things they used to sell at the cash register. It was so quiet and the decor was just great - (for those who never went there maybe recalling the 1940s). I loved the tea and the wonton soup with the leaf floating in it. Sigh. But you can still see parts of it in the movie "To Wong Foo, thanks for everything, Julie Newmar" in the chinese restaurant scene.

Posted on: 2009/1/21 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 18:21
Group:
Banned
I have fund memories of the Canton.
It was such a nice treat to be taken there as a child.
Allthough I may have not appreciated the decor at that time. the place is a true Jewel.

What a shame no one was interested in keeping the Canton in operation.

Posted on: 2009/1/18 16:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Good food, good decor, good memories...now I'm hungry!

Posted on: 2009/1/17 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Kundilini wrote:
I liked Canton in JC been there done that long ago... But its MUCH BETTER to be in SHAPE fat JC and get your BALLYS Membership! There are NO national Health Clubs in JC... Thank Ballys (Black-La-Lane) for putting it all together in one place where UPTOWN gets a gym that will change the property values, lifestyle and REAR ENDS of UPTOWN JC! Thanks

Weren't you raving about Crown Fried Chicken in another thread Tubby?

Posted on: 2009/1/17 22:36

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/2 19:00
Group:
Registered Users
I am in my 30's but I remember the Canton well. It was like going back in a time capsale. The plush Red Carpets and the waiters in there red jackets and black bow ties. I always made sure my dad would buy me a China Doll at the counter when we where leaving. Anyone from Jersey City as well as long family linages from there will remember. Its a shame the building owners or restaraunt owners do not appreciate history or Design. It always reminded me of the part in the movie the "shining" when Jack Nicoleson has his first Delusion and he orders a drink at the bar. And the carpets through the hotel. The new coming yuppies would have loved this place for the design and architecture of the place. What a shame.

Posted on: 2009/1/17 21:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/16 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
I liked Canton in JC been there done that long ago... But its MUCH BETTER to be in SHAPE fat JC and get your BALLYS Membership! There are NO national Health Clubs in JC... Thank Ballys (Black-La-Lane) for putting it all together in one place where UPTOWN gets a gym that will change the property values, lifestyle and REAR ENDS of UPTOWN JC! Thanks

Posted on: 2009/1/16 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Joesax2 wrote:
There may be lots of people who don't know. I just found out 5 minutes ago. I was going to bring my family there in planning a trip to the Loews theater across the way. (Which is still open and worth kept opening-lets all try to at least keep that open.) I remember the elevator, the plush red carpeting, the funny waitor who pulled out a 5 foot long noodle with a pair of chopsticks and said with a chinese accent"too long". We joked about that for years in my family. The Canton was the big night out. The ultimate in fancy dining for us poor Jersey City folk. I spit on the Ballys they put there. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED! This makes me sick to my stomach.

I loved the Canton as well. It was an experience each and every time I visited there. Unfortunately it was a place frequented from those of yester-year. There are new people and new age groups here in J.C. nobody ventures out beyond their pocket. I think the stairwell and the elevator made the arrival and departure exciting eating at the restaurant. I had brought someone from Brooklyn yes she was a native New Yorker but sort of artsy smartsy and was enamored with the Canton. It used to be a supper club in the 20's.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 1:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/14 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
There may be lots of people who don't know. I just found out 5 minutes ago. I was going to bring my family there in planning a trip to the Loews theater across the way. (Which is still open and worth kept opening-lets all try to at least keep that open.) I remember the elevator, the plush red carpeting, the funny waitor who pulled out a 5 foot long noodle with a pair of chopsticks and said with a chinese accent"too long". We joked about that for years in my family. The Canton was the big night out. The ultimate in fancy dining for us poor Jersey City folk. I spit on the Ballys they put there. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED! This makes me sick to my stomach.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 18:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/20 11:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting. When I called them two weeks ago, the lady who answered the phone didn?t know what their exact address is going to be.

She also didn?t know exactly when Bally is opening. But based on the sign that I saw two weeks ago, Bally will open this summer. Some people who left comments on my site seemed genuinely excited about this news.

Posted on: 2008/3/10 14:18

Journal Square: Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past -- Bally Total Fitness Center is coming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Removal of Canton's sign reveals site's past

Jersey Journal
Monday, March 10, 2008

The historic, now-shuttered Canton Chinese restaurant in Jersey City's Journal Square apparently has a storied history.

Closed for three years, the Canton - a landmark in Journal Square for more than 70 years - is being turned into a Bally Total Fitness Center. The recent removal of the Canton signage from the front of the building at 920 Bergen Ave. revealed its prior identity as the "Hurwitz Building."

The gold lettering was most likely original, as it appears to have been designed to fit in with the Art Deco terra cotta exterior, according to the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy.

The Conservancy sincerely hopes that, rather than simply plastering a new plastic sign of a chain brand, Bally pauses to respect the history of the building and allows the public to appreciate the building's original qualities, the Conservancy states on its Web site.

A Bally employee said the fitness company doesn't own the building. A press representative said the company is looking into the matter.

KEN THORBOURNE

Posted on: 2008/3/10 7:03

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017