Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The Heights: Scary moments as mugger pulls trigger in Pershing Field
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/5 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
crime is an issue in ALL parts jersey city. The criminals know most law biding people are walking around the streets unarmed therefore making them easy targets. The criminals are brazen enough attempt home invasions for the same reason. I really dont see things changing until we get rid of this clown of a mayor and the other loon corzine.

Until we get some Guiliani types it will be the same old story. Thats the reality.

That being said gentrification in the heights has contributed to vast improvements but alot more work needs to be done. I think that in 5-7yrs when real estae stabilizes we will see this gentrification continue where it left off. Unfortuntely, all you need is one slum lord to put bad tenants in a building and the whole block can turn to $H!+.
If they put just a little money into the apartments they could get a much better quality tenant.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/19 15:19
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

MediaAvid wrote:
Cankicker,

Can you enlighten everyone on the board where you live? We'd all like live with no crime and apparently you have found the perfect place.

You make it appear that the Heights is worse then all of Jersey City or the metropolitan area for that matter.

Do you have proof that each crime is being done from different people or that they even live in the Heights? If you do please forward it to the North District police station.

Just made a comment, you don;t like, thats too bad.
When you learn how to read and more importantly learn how to comprehend what your reading you'll note what I was trying to convey.

Yes, the Heights has become a dump, perspective given from someone who was raised there for 35 years.

Moreover whats yr background, or are you some transplant who's going to make JC a better place to live in ????

CK

What happened to you that makes you so ornery? It seems like any time anyone questions anything you say, you get all hardcore. Yes, we know you are from here. Cool. We get it.

This board is filled with people from all over the world -- including JC natives -- who want to live and thrive in JC and make the city better and safer but you seem to want to mock and even attack all efforts around that.

What up with that, CK?

(ducking for cover, preparing for the onslaught...)

Jenny

No onslaught, and no I'm not Ornery, nor do I go "Hardcore" when somone dis-agrees with me, My point is if your going to dis-agree, have your facts straight, Understand that I have lived to see the Heights completley transformed from "the place to live& shop" to nothing but 99 cent stores, central american phone calling boths and now a string of armed robberys.(Un-like most of the posters in this Blog),Thats great that honest working people are moving in and investing into the Neighborhood, but fact remains this section of JC has become a Dump, sorry to offend some of the posters, but thats the way I see it.

Hope that things change for the better.

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/13 15:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Yes, the Heights has become a dump, perspective given from someone who was raised there for 35 years.
Moreover whats yr background, or are you some transplant who's going to make JC a better place to live in ????
CK

Happy to say that the Heights hasn't become a dump - at least Central Avenue and its environs (can't speak for Western Slope or other areas (Heights is a huge area) as I no longer hang out there - anyone remember running around, down, and through the trails off Terrace Ave park?). I used to have to duck for cover from flying bottles on Central Avenue 20 - 25 years ago. Haven't had to do that in a while. I think it's more of the same, but the neighborhood associations have definitely gotten stronger; and that's good. Reservoir - that's good. I'll see you folks on the track at Pershing Field. It's not the crime, but the response by the community to it that will tell. Cheers.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
Quote:

MediaAvid wrote:
Cankicker,

Can you enlighten everyone on the board where you live? We'd all like live with no crime and apparently you have found the perfect place.

You make it appear that the Heights is worse then all of Jersey City or the metropolitan area for that matter.

Do you have proof that each crime is being done from different people or that they even live in the Heights? If you do please forward it to the North District police station.

When you learn how to read and more importantly learn how to comprehend what your reading you'll note what I was trying to convey.

CK

What happened to you that makes you so ornery? It seems like any time anyone questions anything you say, you get all hardcore. Yes, we know you are from here. Cool. We get it.

This board is filled with people from all over the world -- including JC natives -- who want to live and thrive in JC and make the city better and safer but you seem to want to mock and even attack all efforts around that.

What up with that, CK?

(ducking for cover, preparing for the onslaught...)

Posted on: 2008/2/13 1:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/8 16:02
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
That said, the shit would really need to hit the fan, before I am moving out of here!

Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MediaAvid wrote:
What is wrong with a "transplant" having their own perspective on their own neighborhood?

As a recent "transplant" we are probably more inclined to rationalize any negatives in our new neighborhoods, especially if we've made a substantial investment in it. Of course, your opinion is no less valid than that of the old timers. It's just a different perspective with different set of influences affecting it.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 23:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The mugger had a van waiting for him when he fled the scene. He could still be from the Heights, but we have no evidence either way. We also have no evidence that same person robbed the deli on Webster a few weeks ago.

What is wrong with a "transplant" having their own perspective on their own neighborhood?

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
StevenJC wrote:
As with any urban area, there are pockets of crime and there are random acts of violence.

Any time you are walking alone during the evening, you have to be aware of what is going on around you. You are a potential target. Sad but true in any metro area.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MediAvid wrote:

Greenville is worse than Journal Sq is worse than the Heights is worse than Newport is worse than Harismus Cove is worse than...

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MediaAvid wrote:
Cankicker,

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Cankicker,

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/5 13:09
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
The Heights is not a "dump". It's actually a very nice place to live. As with any urban area, there are pockets of crime and there are random acts of violence.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

croft wrote:
this happens all over jersey city, it's not just the heights.

Thanks for the Enlightment.

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/12 22:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
this happens all over jersey city, it's not just the heights.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

lovejc wrote:
I've lived in the heights for three years now - and lived right near Pershing Field for two of those years - never had any sort of inkling that things like this were happening...especially at 7PM on a weeknight! I often worked out on that track and right in the area where the victim was attacked - and while not after dark - I would be there later than 7PM in the summer.

I know that no area is perfect - especially in such a huge city as JC but do other heights residents feel that this is becoming a norm? and as the previous poster says - is a "dump"...I love the heights and would never classify it as that...but maybe I need to open my eyes?

Trust me, it pains me to describe the Heights in that manner, but fact is fact, look at the element walking around or congrugating after hours and you'll know what I mean.

My Inlaws live in the heights as well and have recomended to them on many occassions to move out.

The trend in the last few years has been to push all the lowlifes up towards the heights as the rest of the city goes through a re-birth and therefore reaping havoc with the good residents of the Heights.

Positive change....Yeah its coming, but nowhere in the near future for the Heights.

Good Luck to you.

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/12 19:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in the heights for three years now - and lived right near Pershing Field for two of those years - never had any sort of inkling that things like this were happening...especially at 7PM on a weeknight! I often worked out on that track and right in the area where the victim was attacked - and while not after dark - I would be there later than 7PM in the summer.

I know that no area is perfect - especially in such a huge city as JC but do other heights residents feel that this is becoming a norm? and as the previous poster says - is a "dump"...I love the heights and would never classify it as that...but maybe I need to open my eyes?

Posted on: 2008/2/12 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
The Heights is an absolute dump !
Things of this nature was unheard of back in the 70's/80's when I was growing up there .

Hope this lowlife is caught, before his gun decides to work.

CK

Posted on: 2008/2/12 16:42

The Heights: Scary moments as mugger pulls trigger in Pershing Field
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Scary moments as mugger pulls trigger

Jersey Journal
by Michaelangelo Conte
Monday February 11, 2008

A Jersey City man being robbed at gunpoint in Pershing Field last night knocked the gun away from his attacker who picked it up and apparently tried to shoot him but the gun didn't fire, cops told The Jersey Journal today.

The 48-year-old Hancock Avenue man was walking near the park's ice skating rink around 7:40 p.m. when a man put a gun to his back and said, "Give me money. Give me money," reports said.

The victim told police he turned and knocked the gun out of the robber's hand but the robber ran to the weapon, picked it up, pointed it at him and "pressed the trigger several times," but it didn't fire and the mugger ran off empty-handed, reports said.

The victim chased the mugger to the corner of Summit Avenue and Pershing Field Plaza where the robber got into a black minivan and was driven by a woman and they drove away north on Summit, reports said.

Posted on: 2008/2/12 15:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017