Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ Budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
There are some municipalities in Hudson County that have a few thousand citizens. Even Secaucus only has 15,000 residents. I think it is will work the other way.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
4/15 15:15
Group:
Registered Users
Connecticut abolished county government back in 1998.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Many small towns in NJ has a dollar a year mayor and pay .10 to municipal government. It is county government that does the heavy lifting.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
@Borisp - the rest of Hudson might be happy with pushing the issue of prison and welfare back to JC. I think it's more important to cut the layer of gov first, then worry about boundaries later - and cutting municipal might be the faster & easier route since there'd be less horse-trading over who does what.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
I am all for having less government, - but I am very much against the idea "remove municipal, keep county". I want the opposite.

We all want different things, - some people want parking rules that provide for street cleaning biweekly, others may want once a week and sweep themselves for garbage the rest of the time. Who knows? Why would I want to come to a common denominator with the whole population of the Hudson county? Jersey City itself is way bigger than reasonable.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 12:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The freeholders vote on the county budget. It controls prison, welfare, 911, courts, some roads, a college, and some parks. Many people have expressed a belief of getting rid of county government. I believe we should get rid of municipal government and just have county government. The population of the county is around 600,000. We are paying for too many levels of government.

+1.

The Freeholders to me are "invisible" politicians that control a relatively large public budget. The County budget is as big as the JC budget. JC on it's own is probably a good enough size to operate independently, but other municipalities in HC aren't. Yvonne is absolutely right - we'd get much better economies of scale with just having the county government. Plus it would go a long way in resolving issues such as abatements and public school funding.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The freeholders vote on the county budget. It controls prison, welfare, 911, courts, some roads, a college, and some parks. Many people have expressed a belief of getting rid of county government. I believe we should get rid of municipal government and just have county government. The population of the county is around 600,000. We are paying for too many levels of government.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
And because you use your real name you somehow believe that excuses the fact that you don't know half of what you are talking about? That is sad. I feel sorry for you. You are an angry, bitter person who can't accept that life has changed in ways you don't like and so you lash out in all directions (council meetings, jc list, nj.com, nj speaks - I'm sure there are another dozen I am unaware of.) Truly sad.

Take it outside, you two :-/

Seriously, there is an election tomorrow, with a Freeholder position on the ballot. I've only lived in JC 6 years, and am still not 100% sure about what the Freeholders do, but they have a roll in Hudson County business and thus the budget and it's impact on us. Can we bring this thread back to the topic - is there anything we voters should know in advance of tomorrows election, that may have a bearing down the road on taxes etc.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
And because you use your real name you somehow believe that excuses the fact that you don't know half of what you are talking about? That is sad. I feel sorry for you. You are an angry, bitter person who can't accept that life has changed in ways you don't like and so you lash out in all directions (council meetings, jc list, nj.com, nj speaks - I'm sure there are another dozen I am unaware of.) Truly sad.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I feel sorry for you. You use a phony name to throw sleaze because you lack the courage to use your real name when you attack someone. You also do not understand the difference between an issue and a person. Attacking an issue is different from attacking a person. I do feel sorry for someone that lacks that courage.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Really, JSleeze, you don't know how to have a civilized conversation. Shame. You are one of those people who attacks if things don't go your way. I actually feel sorry for you.

Really, Yvonne? You don't know the first thing about me and it's clear from your endless rants that you know little of what you prattle on about - whether it's here or when you are waddling up to the podium at a council meeting for the ninth time in an evening. You shouldn't feel the least bit sorry for me - I've seen you and have a decent idea how you live. You are the one to be pitied.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm still working out who's being self righteous on this thread / topic and vehemently flying the political flag with the standard denouncement of any other view.

Politicians are renowned as being full of crap and regularly twist and manipulate data to their point of view - what's worse is when individuals regurgitate that view as gospel time and time again.

Give me an independent point of view anytime

Posted on: 2014/5/30 3:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Really, JSleeze, you don't know how to have a civilized conversation. Shame. You are one of those people who attacks if things don't go your way. I actually feel sorry for you.

Posted on: 2014/5/30 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote

blah, blah abatements blah blah blah school taxes blah blah McCann, Mayor Cucci blah blah blah ababtements blah blah blah

You are soooooo pedantic. It's one thing to argue the schools are getting screwed by the current abatement system (they aren''t, really - the state is much more so) - but it's a whole different level of asinine to say that the person who has a tax lien put on their home somehow has it worse because they pay school taxes. Ridiculous. Add up the taxes that you pay (municipal, school, county) and compare it to what the PILOT on a comparable property is. For instance - people with PILOTs on properties similar to the house you sold downtown pay PILOTs between $15,000 and $20,000, which is considerably more than what your total tax bill was. But hey - don't let facts get in the way of your bloviating.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I remember when Dr. Scambio talked about closing schools in JC in the early 1990 based on population data. Instead JC created more housing with tax abatements and instead of closing schools we are running out of space.

That's a good thing.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
First, speak to the tax collector. She will tell you 2,200 people are in tax lien this year and only 300 were able to redeem their liens so that means 1,900 people are in serious trouble. Unlike tax abated properties, these people pay board of ed taxes. The average tax bill is $3,000 to the board of ed from local taxpayers. $3,000 might seem like nothing to you, but if you are unemployed and pay property taxes, then it is a great deal of money, wishful thinking. Second, the board of ed levy has been rising since 2005, before that time JC contributions was frozen over a deal that was made when it was under total state control. Then we pay $72 million a year, now it is well over $110 million a year. Has any tax abated property contributed to the increase? Of course not, but they have sent children to the public school system. Lastly, I do not care if teachers take their cars and drive to Newark or JC, we, the taxpaying public still must pay their salaries.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You are correct Monroe about the state paying the lionshare of the budget. It just means equality will come down the road and JC will get less money from the state. We have two options: layoff teachers or raise taxes. I am sure there is some community in NJ who is fuming over JC aid and is trying to make changes to the law. But in the meanwhile we are handing out abatements.

Wouldn't those communities who are fuming away about aid to JC also have more to object to? The car-dependent suburbanites count on low gas taxes to run their SUVs. And 29% of Newark's public school teachers live in the suburbs http://www.thenation.com/blog/166199/ ... uld-live-downtown-newark# what % of JC public school teachers similarly live in the burbs? Either of your suggestions negatively affects the suburbs, which have a bigger, more involved voter base. I find it hard to believe, absent real information, that the city's abatement program deprives us of actual tax dollars, not based on assumptions of who lives where.

Posted on: 2014/5/29 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When an abatement is granted, the number of units are listed but the information who lives there is not. As an example when JC granted another 30 abatement for Salem Lafayette, it lists 415 units. One can guess there could be 800 children. This abatement will have a life span of approximately 67 years. That is almost one grammar school.

Posted on: 2014/5/26 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think that number needs to be known in order to determine if abatements are really costing the school system in the form of extra students.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I do not have those numbers but I can remember in the 1990s then Council-President Tom DeGise said he will give an abatement for a particular Newport Development because there will be no children from that development. We know that is not true today. However, there should be no distinction between affordable and non-affordable if the general is hit over the head with the board of ed tax bills. It is not fair that 2,200 regular taxpayers are in lien because they cannot pay their tax bills in order to give someone housing. The affordable is not limited to JC, the list comes nationwide.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How many people living in those abated (non low income) properties sending their kids to Jersey City public schools?

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Since 2005 the board of ed taxes have increased 39.9% based on last year tax bill. We are paying more each year for children who live in tax abated buildings. I remember when Dr. Scambio talked about closing schools in JC in the early 1990 based on population data. Instead JC created more housing with tax abatements and instead of closing schools we are running out of space.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
What makes anyone think that a pot of abatement money will achieve anything in relation to JC schools? Until we have some kind of blueprint for success, it's pointless throwing money at the problem - as we've discovered with Abbott, Newark, standardized testing, Charter schools, and countless other failed experiments to date.

While I could see some incremental improvements the issue is parental, not educational.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What makes anyone think that a pot of abatement money will achieve anything in relation to JC schools? Until we have some kind of blueprint for success, it's pointless throwing money at the problem - as we've discovered with Abbott, Newark, standardized testing, Charter schools, and countless other failed experiments to date.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are correct Monroe about the state paying the lionshare of the budget. It just means equality will come down the road and JC will get less money from the state. We have two options: layoff teachers or raise taxes. I am sure there is some community in NJ who is fuming over JC aid and is trying to make changes to the law. But in the meanwhile we are handing out abatements.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There is no bankruptcy court for states. States just stop paying their bills and interest on their debt. This actually happened back in the middle part of the 19th century.

Hard to believe there was a time NJ didn't have an income tax. The income tax was supposed to offset property taxes used to pay for education.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 18:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am reading the star-ledger and the sentence that caught my attention is: The state credit rating is the third lowest in the nation. It is only a matter of time when NJ goes to bankruptcy court and state aid to schools is slashed. While JC still gives out tax abatements that doesn?t pay board of ed taxes. http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... the_budget_editorial.html

It's no wonder, we're just about the highest taxed state in the USA-that goes hand in hand with lousy credit, no? And we're also about the worst in money flowing back from the Federal Government, and have been for decades. Let's light a fire under Booker and Lautenberg to bring back the $.

As far as tax abatements that result in small Board of Ed taxes-don't be greedy, the rest of NJ taxpayers are already paying over 76% of JC school costs already! (Just a few million shy of a half-billion dollar/year).

Posted on: 2014/5/25 17:59

NJ Budget
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am reading the star-ledger and the sentence that caught my attention is: The state credit rating is the third lowest in the nation. It is only a matter of time when NJ goes to bankruptcy court and state aid to schools is slashed. While JC still gives out tax abatements that doesn?t pay board of ed taxes. http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2 ... the_budget_editorial.html

Posted on: 2014/5/25 17:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017