Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Mayor Healy: Not time to talk about gun control, only prayers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

Kind of hard to go up against a government with the type of fire power ours has with sidearms and hunting rifles if the time ever came it was necessary for another American Revolution. As time passes it seems people forget why we have this right in the first place.

This is the type of lunatic logic you hear from right wing nuts and their NRA buddies. That some day the US government will be oppressing it's people and that those fighting that oppression will need their guns.

What crap! The way governments are changed in this country is via the ballot box not by the gun. That's why the rest of the civilized world laughs at us. In this country there are 30 deaths per day by gun, over 1,000 a month and over 11,000 per year. In the UK there are only 60 gun-related deaths per year.

IMO, only law enforcement should have the right to have hand guns and all assault rifles should be banned.

Just to be clear, the "lunatic logic" that you reference is the second ammendment, as it's currently interpreted (and, it's easily argued, as it was intended). In concept, I agree with JerseyCityNj - citizens should have a level playing field with the military, if the original intent of the second ammendment - which is still our federal law - is to be upheld.

Personally, I agree that the ammendment is antiquated and should be revisited. I'm all for gun control and the complete ban of automatic, semi-automatic, and/or assault weapons - but at the moment don't see how such a ban can be considered legal, until the actual ammendment itself is changed.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

Kind of hard to go up against a government with the type of fire power ours has with sidearms and hunting rifles if the time ever came it was necessary for another American Revolution. As time passes it seems people forget why we have this right in the first place.

This is the type of lunatic logic you hear from right wing nuts and their NRA buddies. That some day the US government will be oppressing it's people and that those fighting that oppression will need their guns.

What crap! The way governments are changed in this country is via the ballot box not by the gun. That's why the rest of the civilized world laughs at us. In this country there are 30 deaths per day by gun, over 1,000 a month and over 11,000 per year. In the UK there are only 60 gun-related deaths per year.

IMO, only law enforcement should have the right to have hand guns and all assault rifles should be banned.

You are a little too trusting in your government. You forget with out the gun their would be no "United States". Their are ways to bring down the murder rates it just has not been done the way it should and it can be done with out banning guns. Laws mean nothing to criminals.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Gun control laws need to be simple regulate and enforce. Tie guns to gun owners. Make gun owners responsible for what happens to their guns while the gun is registered to them. Set minimum fines and penalties for crimes involving guns. Mandate gun insurance that covers these liabilities. Every American can have the right to bear arms, so long as they can find and pay the insurance.

Sort of like automobiles, I like the idea of insurance.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 12:42
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Gun control laws need to be simple regulate and enforce. Tie guns to gun owners. Make gun owners responsible for what happens to their guns while the gun is registered to them. Set minimum fines and penalties for crimes involving guns. Mandate gun insurance that covers these liabilities. Every American can have the right to bear arms, so long as they can find and pay the insurance.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 4:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

I had to post this about a new sweeping surveillance program just uncovered by the Wall Street Journal. Slowly, we are allowing our rights and freedoms to be in jeopardy. Seeing things like this happen makes me uncomfortable with constricting the 2nd Amendment with laws on bearing arms.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_ten ... ce_program_uncovered.html

Posted on: 2012/12/16 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Many of us have forgotten about the shooting that took place in an Amish school house.....and how the people of that community rallied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish_school_shooting

I am not a conspiracy nut but I don't want guns to be banned out right. Many police departments large and small are becoming para-military forces....and if they can get the funding for more and more heavy duty firepower they are not saying NO. Just look at the NYPD and how they continue to violate the constitution. Example...setting up their own spying assets not only in foreign countries but even other states spying on mostly innocent, ordinary people. Our CIA, FBI and other agencies have set up secret prisons and have kidnapped and tortured many innocent people....how long before the NYPD take that route????

Making the purchase of weapons extremely difficult, time confusing and a great deal more expensive is the way to go.

For the record, i have never owned a gun nor would i ever buy one. It's just not a choice i wish to make.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 2:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:

Posted on: 2012/12/16 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityNj wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Agree completely, Boomer. So does Mayor Bloomberg. Speaking nationally, this is the time for real leadership. Whereas one side will push the need for tighter mental health screens on gun purchases and the other will use this as the rallying cry for tighter gun control, I ask - why not both?

Reasonable people should be able to agree that there really is no need, nor place, for automatic and semi-automatic weapons in a civilized society. Personally, I abhor guns but recognize the rights of others to own them - within reason. What I will never understand is how anyone can advocate on behalf of weapons that guarantee when these things happen the carnage increases by 3x, 4x or more.
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, and see how far your first amendment rights extend, then lets come back and talk about what exactly the second amendment says.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
By that logic, every citizen should be able to possess drones and nuclear weapons. And when was last time we had well-regulated militia?

Posted on: 2012/12/15 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Agree completely, Boomer. So does Mayor Bloomberg. Speaking nationally, this is the time for real leadership. Whereas one side will push the need for tighter mental health screens on gun purchases and the other will use this as the rallying cry for tighter gun control, I ask - why not both?

Reasonable people should be able to agree that there really is no need, nor place, for automatic and semi-automatic weapons in a civilized society. Personally, I abhor guns but recognize the rights of others to own them - within reason. What I will never understand is how anyone can advocate on behalf of weapons that guarantee when these things happen the carnage increases by 3x, 4x or more.
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Posted on: 2012/12/15 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/12/15 16:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
They say it's not the right time to talk about gun control. I say this is the exact right time. At least 75,000 people agree with me - https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petit ... slation-congress/2tgcXzQC

They told us it wasn't the right time after Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tuscon and all the other killings. 12 people were shot in an Aurora, Co movie theater less than 5 months ago. 5 MONTHS. Now 26 more innocents are dead. Children and their teachers. I never imagined it was possbile someone in America would execute 26 innocent children and their teachers in their classroom. As we mourn we should be asking what's next and what are we going to do to stop it.

This will happen again and again and again and again unless you do something. I don't know how many days or weeks it will be until the next mass shooting but we'll be thinking the same things we are today and saying how awful it is. DO SOMETHING.

If you don't know where to start, go to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence http://www.bradycampaign.org/

Quote:

user1111 wrote:
By The Jersey Journal
on December 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM, updated December 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Print

Jersey City Mayor Jeremiah T. Healy speaks at a 2011 press conference with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, right, in the wake of last year's Tuscon shootings.
City of New York
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has been very public about a need for better control of the sale of guns in the nation but today the mayor, who has been following the shooting at the Connecticut elementary school, will not talk about the issue.

The mayor has been involved in national campaigns to tighten gun sales with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer and other officials for several years.
"I'm not going to say a word about gun control," Healy said. "Everyone's prayers and condolescenses are for those effected by this horrible incident. I think my position on gun control is well known, but I believe now is not the time to discuss it."
Resized Image

As some of the focus of the shooting has touched on neighboring Hoboken as authorities were trying to identify the shooter Adam Lanza, Healy said he is confident that the Jersey City Police Department are professional enough to handle any similar situation. A brother of the identified shooter, who is a Mile Square City resident, had been mistakenly identified by the national media as being responsible for the tragic events.JJ

Posted on: 2012/12/15 16:05

Re: GUNMEN IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SHOOTING FROM HOBOKEN?!?!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/31 18:01
From In your dreams
Group:
Registered Users
My heart is breaking for these poor families who lost BABIES!!! Innocent lives that didn't have chance to experience life. It's disgusting. I am sick to my stomach over this. Im a neurotic mother when it comes to my son and now I have to worry even more so when he goes to school. School is SUPPOSED to be a safe haven, besides their own home. Im a single mother so i need to work but If I have to quit my job and sit outside his school all day, I'll do it. These people are psychotic a**holes!!!
Anyway, what kind of a mother keeps guns in the house knowing your son has personality issues? Absolutely no common sense whatsoever. If you have a gun, LOCK IT UP and keep it where no one can find it! I can't anymore. This world really does SUCK!!

Posted on: 2012/12/15 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
CAPS LOCK GUNS HOBOKEN KILLING ZOMG

I had a nice dinner, how about you all?

Posted on: 2012/12/15 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

keypitup wrote:
I'M SURE THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT SOON ENOUGH.... THE MEDIA IS ALL OVER WITH THE STORIES. NOTICE THEY HAVEN'T SHOWED A PICTURE OF HIM YET

Yep, the media is all over it...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/josephgre ... l-for-a-stephen-king-law/

Posted on: 2012/12/15 0:27

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/29 14:23
From jersey city, nj
Group:
Registered Users
I'M SURE THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT SOON ENOUGH.... THE MEDIA IS ALL OVER WITH THE STORIES. NOTICE THEY HAVEN'T SHOWED A PICTURE OF HIM YET

Posted on: 2012/12/15 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The brother Ryan who is not a suspect lived in Hoboken. The younger brother Adam was the shooter and lived in Connecticut.

Posted on: 2012/12/15 0:07

GUNMEN IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SHOOTING FROM HOBOKEN?!?!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/29 14:23
From jersey city, nj
Group:
Registered Users
R.I.P. TO EVERYONE IN CT !
THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE THE GUNMEN FROM HOBOKEN !
http://youtu.be/qpvjH1nTsT0

Posted on: 2012/12/14 23:58

Jersey City Mayor Healy: Not time to talk about gun control, only prayers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By The Jersey Journal
on December 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM, updated December 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Print

Jersey City Mayor Jeremiah T. Healy speaks at a 2011 press conference with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, right, in the wake of last year's Tuscon shootings.
City of New York
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy has been very public about a need for better control of the sale of guns in the nation but today the mayor, who has been following the shooting at the Connecticut elementary school, will not talk about the issue.

The mayor has been involved in national campaigns to tighten gun sales with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer and other officials for several years.
"I'm not going to say a word about gun control," Healy said. "Everyone's prayers and condolescenses are for those effected by this horrible incident. I think my position on gun control is well known, but I believe now is not the time to discuss it."
Resized Image

As some of the focus of the shooting has touched on neighboring Hoboken as authorities were trying to identify the shooter Adam Lanza, Healy said he is confident that the Jersey City Police Department are professional enough to handle any similar situation. A brother of the identified shooter, who is a Mile Square City resident, had been mistakenly identified by the national media as being responsible for the tragic events.JJ

Posted on: 2012/12/14 21:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017