Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched togeth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
A music video from BET - Read a book

Posted on: 2007/7/18 17:45

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched togeth
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Last time, I checked almost all of the crime was coming from a few neighborhoods where the poor/underprivileged/under-educated are concentrated. If housing projects didn't create such problems, do u not think Ms. Richardson would welcome them with open arms?

Get real! Half the kids (teenagers) around the projects or MLK can barely speak proper english, let alone read. All they really seem to care about is listening to the latest 50 Cent song. The truth can be harsh.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/24 10:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

There is no comparison when one compares the problems created by the affluent versus the poor.

Mr. Wolf

Can you list them for me please?

DTG

Posted on: 2007/7/18 16:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/7 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bdlaw wrote:
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree that poor people should not be housed together in just one neighborhood, but if they are and are receiving subsidized housing then I think society should demand that they send their children to school and learn and to stay out of trouble.

Can we at the same time demand that the affluent send their children to school to learn and also stay out of trouble? Especially those parents who raise intellectually and morally challenged brats that drag the country in no-win military engagements mostly fought by ....... you know ....... POOR PEOPLE.

I take it you're referring to John F. Kennedy, Jr, Lyndon Johnson, and VIETNAM?

Sure, they get to go on the list too, but there are some very conspicuous omissions from your entries. Then again, I'd rather try to forget they ever existed, lest I ever wake up from this bad dream.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MrWolf wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
I agree that poor people should not be housed together in just one neighborhood, but if they are and are receiving subsidized housing then I think society should demand that they send their children to school and learn and to stay out of trouble.

Can we at the same time demand that the affluent send their children to school to learn and also stay out of trouble? Especially those parents who raise intellectually and morally challenged brats that drag the country in no-win military engagements mostly fought by ....... you know ....... POOR PEOPLE.

I take it you're referring to John F. Kennedy, Jr, Lyndon Johnson, and VIETNAM?

Posted on: 2007/7/18 15:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Dear Mr. Wolf -
The affluent in general don't get housing subsidies and in general affluent people (in general) make sure their children get an education and are not on the streets causing problems for the rest of society.

Dear Hero69 -

Poor people (in general) make sure their children get an education and are not on the streets causing problems for the rest of society (in general). They do this even with the difficulties and obstacles they need to overcome. There is no level playing field for the poor.

Your taxes and mine provide more in subsidies to the rich (hundreds of times over in comparison to housing subsidies to the poor) - SEE Corporate Welfare. There is no comparison when one compares the problems created by the affluent versus the poor.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
The libertarian ideology is strange. The "free market" must dictate housing, which is why gentrification using developer incentives is the way forward. Individual responsibility is paramount, which is why the poor should be held collectively responsible and be collectively punished for crime.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

NNJR wrote:

I do have problems reading about all the violence that comes out of our local projects, they need to be torn down ASAP.

But it's hard to know whether all of "our projects" are really all that terribly violent. I remember reading a few months ago about one particular kid who got shot around Montgomery Gardens, for example, but that's just about the only serious crime involving the Montgomery Gardens project and nearby projects that I can remember reading about.

I walk by the various projects on Montgomery occasionally when I walk home from the McGinley Square area, and my only problem with them is the lack of trees. No one in and around the projects has ever been rude to me, let alone harassed me in any way.

Whenever I actually look at any of the Montgomery projects, it seems as if they are about as calm as the buildings around Newport.

In contrast, the Holland Gardens projects (up by the Holland Tunnel) seem to be actively creepy, with a heavy presence of guys who are clearly selling drugs. Maybe that's because the Holland Tunnel area is as good of a location for selling illegal drugs as it is for selling gasoline.

But I think the very scariest, most obviously out of control blocks in Jersey City are some of the private-market housing blocks south of the Bramhall drug supermarket.

So, before we go around tearing people's homes down, I think we ought to make sure we understand exactly where the real problems are and see if there are any other ways to deal with the problems. Such as, for example, figuring out ways to put the obvious thugs in prison and keep them there and creating jobs programs for the guys who mean well and just need some way to earn a living.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Can I speak up for the people who aren't "affluent" yet aren't poor? That's my family. Everything is a stuggle. Only one child can go to college out of the 3 children and just makes it by the skin of her teeth. Can't afford the dentist, don't qualify for assistance. Parents keep getting layed off, can never catch up on the bills, yet, you're not poor. Anyone else?

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Mr. Wolf -
The affluent in general don't get housing subsidies and in general affluent people (in general) make sure their children get an education and are not on the streets causing problems for the rest of society.

Why should the government continue to subsidize the cycle of poverty and criminality that comes from the projects. Why not force these people to change for the better.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dear Mr. Wolf -

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NNJR wrote:
Agreed hero, When I was living in a nice doorman apartment in Manhattan I think the building was 10% section8. I couldn't tell who was section8 and who wasn't, I had no problems at all.

I think that's the biggest failure of project housing. Once poverty is clustered together, it just breeds more poverty. If every tenth apartment housed low income, its a lot harder to point fingers, less isolating for the impoverished, and creates a sense of community. A sense of community, arguably, generates a disincentive to commit crimes.

There are some failures to all this. First, circumstance helps keep the impoverished poor. Low level skills, low education, disabilities, old age, and children / child care are all obstacles that prevent many of the hardest up from obtaining gainful employment. Jobs with low skill and education requirements pay very little and there are more people competing for these jobs then there are jobs available. The elderly also are frequently living below the poverty line-- and often are unable to work or find work because of age. The same is true of the disabled, either physically or mentally. And of course children need to be looked after-- child care is often more expensive than any pay of a low skilled job.

Second, the other problem is defining poverty. The Census bureau has a national poverty rate of 12%, (10% of families). But consider what the census bureau defines as poverty -- and it becomes apparent there are a lot more poor people out there. A three person household is "impoverished" at a mere $16k. But I certainly think a family of three under $30K- $40k in Jersey City is going to have a real hard time convincing anyone they aren't poor.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/threshld/thresh06.html

So that brings up another issue. Even if you set aside 10% of units (which matches roughly the 10% of families) that are impoverished, you still have a whole segment of folks there who are neither officially poor, nor are they by any means not poor. Essentially, you need a lot more than 10% of housing units to be below market rate to accommodate the poor people.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2007/7/18 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Agreed hero, When I was living in a nice doorman apartment in Manhattan I think the building was 10% section8. I couldn't tell who was section8 and who wasn't, I had no problems at all.

I do have problems reading about all the violence that comes out of our local projects, they need to be torn down ASAP.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2007/7/18 3:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Trubrit wrote:

Frankly, Its a crap idea by a delusional lefty. Enforced economic diversity doesn't work. It already failed in several projects in Brooklyn and Queens. The middle classes don't want to live with welfare grubbing ratbags.

Yes, isn't tragic how the tumbleweeds blow down the desolate streets of Park Sleep and Boerum Hill, and how all people with 401(k) plans have fled screaming in horror from the blocks north of Pathmark and just west of the affordable housing development between Manila and Marin.

And Battery Park City looks like the surface of Mars. And Chelsea might as well be in Outer Mongolia . . .

Oh, wait, that's not true!

The free market has decided that living next to generally law-abiding poor people is worth, maybe, no break at all on your rent, and living across from the poor people on Wayne who openly sell drugs on their stoop is worth, maybe, $100 off on your rent.

Maybe living right by the drug supermarket on Bramhall cuts about your rent in half, but I think that's because the cops don't police that area at all, not because poor people happen to live there.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Trubrit wrote:

INCOMING!!!!

Don't hold your breath - your post was too boring and predictable to warrant much of a response.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 2:17

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched together."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
interesting point of view trubrit. So can I call all the poor people back into downtown jc since they were priced out by the ever increasing 'middle classes' - they (poor or working poor) don't like the idea of the 'middle classes' moving into their neighborhood, because they are the ones who eventually get forced out first.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 1:48
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched together."
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/10/12 11:16
Group:
Registered Users
I like the idea of keeping poor people bunched together. Preferably I'd like to keep them outside of downtown Jersey City.

Their "Integration" the with the hard-working taxpayer causes 90% of the problems raised on this website. (Think rent controlled buildings on Bright Street / Wayne Street / Montgomery St West of Jersey Ave)

Frankly, Its a crap idea by a delusional lefty. Enforced economic diversity doesn't work. It already failed in several projects in Brooklyn and Queens. The middle classes don't want to live with welfare grubbing ratbags.

Also, the idea that someone should pay more or less for the same apartment based upon their income is anti-American.

INCOMING!!!!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Councilwoman Viola Richardson....... "more projects for poor people bunched together."

To create a "safer," more "integrated" community, Richardson said her ward needs a mix of affordable housing, for low-income persons as well as moderate-income wage earners.

Don't tell me she is the only one with a brain on this issue? Hey Fulop, what about supporting her on this one?

Posted on: 2007/7/17 23:12
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Ward F: Richardson opposes low-income housing - No "more projects for poor people bunched together."
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Richardson is opposing low-income housing plan

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Up for introduction tomorrow, a proposed 30-year abatement for a planned low-income housing complex in Jersey City's Ward F faces stiff opposition from the local councilwoman.

At a caucus meeting yesterday, Councilwoman Viola Richardson blasted the proposed tax deal for the 39-unit Fred W. Martin Apartments, to be built along Martin Luther King Jr. Drive between Wegman Parkway and Bidwell Avenue, on the grounds her ward doesn't need "more projects for poor people bunched together."

To create a "safer," more "integrated" community, Richardson said her ward needs a mix of affordable housing, for low-income persons as well as moderate-income wage earners.

"Affordable housing" is defined as units that persons earning 80 percent or less of the area's median income can afford to rent or buy, city officials said.

The median income in Hudson County is $67,300 a year for a family of four, they said.

The Fred W. Martin Apartments, named for a former Ward F councilman, is for persons earning 50 percent or less of the median income in Hudson County, which would be $33,650 for a family of four, city officials said.

Laverne Webb Washington and Eugene O'Connell, the city's designated developers, defended the project on the grounds that housing for the working poor in Jersey City is desperately needed.

O'Connell, a former city attorney and president of New Jersey City Affordable Housing, said his company was inundated with 400 applications for a similar 46-unit rental project his company is completing on Bergen Avenue.

"This is for working-class people," Webb Washington said. "I know some people who work who can't afford 'affordable housing.'"

The lion's share of the $11.5 million project is expected to come from federally funded tax credits granted through the state, city officials said.

Due to the council's summer schedule, tomorrow's meeting is scheduled for 10 a.m. at School 28, 167 Hancock Ave.

Posted on: 2007/7/17 21:58

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017