Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: What's worse for JC, Luxury Condos or Hipsters?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
You're pissed? Too bad. I'm not, and you shouldn't be. Reasonable minds can and do differ. Maybe you don't think we're being reasonable. Or maybe you think my ideas will so conflict with your needs so as to destroy your way of life. I doubt it.

I'm not pro-gentrification. I'm pro quality of life. That's what I'm referring to as being a pleasant place to be. Downtown JC is one such place, but Weequahic and Greenville often are not. Be realistic. You don't need affluence to make that happen, and not everything needs to be owner-occupied or a condo. We need small business, families, good schools, and safe streets. Each one of those preferences is terribler than the one before it!

I was "using" the folks on Columbus as but one example of the old town that must change, but will not if folks hang onto yesterday and never let change come. Thanks for facilitating those dopes. I never said that decent people of any socio-economic stripe do that sort of thing, and you know it. But I wonder... do the fellas on Columbus shop at any of the FOUR sneaker/ skate places in this town? There's one on Jersey, one on Marin, one on Newark, and one on Brunswick. Or is that somehow different than gentrification? They sort of appeal to the hip-hop audience, the high-schoolers, the punk kids, etc. Diversity. A beautiful thing and Jersey City can do better at.

As to public laundromats, I've used them for a long time, as has my family. You obviously missed the point, anyway: I'm a regular person. Not a hipster. And I, a regular person who does not hide his identity or feel defensive about his views believes this town is better for the many changes it's going through.

And even hipsters use laundromats. Some of them.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Oh and believe me this has nothing to do with wanting JC to stay ghetto or crime ridden. I just dont think luxury condos and gourmet organic cupcakes or whatever is cool now as a solution to helping a city such as JC or any other city for that matter.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Wow. Your rant, though boring and predictable, deserves to be deconstructed.

Quote:

So who exactly is that helping, defenitly not the average folk that lived here pre gentrification.

Yes, it is. It means cleaner streets, more property taxes for city schools, and a better quality of life. That's a terrible thing, I know. We should go back to the good old days of ramshackle housing, cold water flats, and aldermanic wards. The 20s were great! Jersey City also had a lot of child labor, so we should hold onto that too.

But let's suppose it wasn't helping the so-called average folk. So what? Real estate is not static, and federal law protects every person to live wherever they please. If you want to go back in time, you're hopelessly naive. IT'S TIME TO GET ON BOARD, because there's nothing so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

I'm not going to sit here, play defensive, and let your inertia or whining interfere with positive changes for this community. I will not be complicit with your out-moded thinking to protect the many, many Jersey City residents who moved out long ago.

Quote:

And when was the last time (lets just call them yipsters) were seen at a regular pizza joint or bodega that has been here for years, besides the fact that they wanted to be ironic or flashy with there friends by going to a "hood" bodega.

Maybe yesterday when I got a decent slice at Carmines, or when I bought fruits and vegetables at Tender Shoot Farm. I also went to Wonder Bagels, 2nd Street Liquors, and the laundromat. But I also posted all these super-hip activities on my YouTube site to show off how edgy I am. It was so cool that next time I'll do it on a skateboard.

If you're sad inside because Yuly's Place or your corner store is having trouble, then I guess you should start eating there. I will not. I also won't go to bodegas that don't carry good product. High fructose corn syrup does not a balanced diet make.

Quote:

And if it was so obvious dont you think everyone would have bought up as much property as possible knowing they'd get a cool mill for it?

Perhaps they were content to live in cruddy town. It seems like the idiots on Columbus drive want to urinate all over their front porch and make people uncomfortable. That's the sort of lifestyle that we should protect no matter what, right?

Anyway, it's much more likely folks were unequipped to buy, though many did. The "average joe" should not prevent Jersey City or Newark or Asbury Park from becoming a pleasant place to be... especially when his averageness is part of the stumbling block.

Quote:

And then best off all you call it dirty and say all the people that got kicked out should just move along... if JC is so dirty and backwards to you why dont you be the one to pack up and shuffle along.

I said it was cruddy and shabby, and that I didn't want it to be dirty. You have to read without getting so emotional.

Nobody got kicked out by gentrification. Private action by landlords may have done so, but not the boogieman you call gentrification. I'm here because I like this place, though it is definitely shabby. You must have gotten used to it.

Quote:

I dont even know why I took the time to reply to this garbage.

Because you're scared and you're flailing. I correctly predicted that in my post. Reread it.

Ha! mine boring and predictable? You have said nothinig that hasnt been said before by other pro gentrifiers. Please tell me how im scared and flailing? Am I pissed? Yes, scared and flailing , no. It is people with your attitude that lead me to be anti gentrification. You can twist what you said around and try and make me look like the moron all you want, im not gonna further argue it because its just like religion and politics, you can argue it forever. You can use the old reliable idiots on Columbus all you want too cause of course anyone with lower middle income pisses on porches(?). You my friend is the one thats nieve. Oh and bravo to you for using a public laundromat. It must have been such and interesting cultural experience for you. Then again that place has probebly been taken over by an LL bean cataloge too. Oh and you mention the average joe isnt capable of making JC, Newark or Asbury a pleasent place to be. So your saying that "affluent" people are the only ones capable of doing so? All they do is push the middle or lower class farther away or problems as you probebly refer to them.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. Your rant, though boring and predictable, deserves to be deconstructed.

Quote:

So who exactly is that helping, defenitly not the average folk that lived here pre gentrification.

Yes, it is. It means cleaner streets, more property taxes for city schools, and a better quality of life. That's a terrible thing, I know. We should go back to the good old days of ramshackle housing, cold water flats, and aldermanic wards. The 20s were great! Jersey City also had a lot of child labor, so we should hold onto that too.

But let's suppose it wasn't helping the so-called average folk. So what? Real estate is not static, and federal law protects every person to live wherever they please. If you want to go back in time, you're hopelessly naive. IT'S TIME TO GET ON BOARD, because there's nothing so powerful as an idea whose time has come.

I'm not going to sit here, play defensive, and let your inertia or whining interfere with positive changes for this community. I will not be complicit with your out-moded thinking to protect the many, many Jersey City residents who moved out long ago.

Quote:

And when was the last time (lets just call them yipsters) were seen at a regular pizza joint or bodega that has been here for years, besides the fact that they wanted to be ironic or flashy with there friends by going to a "hood" bodega.

Maybe yesterday when I got a decent slice at Carmines, or when I bought fruits and vegetables at Tender Shoot Farm. I also went to Wonder Bagels, 2nd Street Liquors, and the laundromat. But I also posted all these super-hip activities on my YouTube site to show off how edgy I am. It was so cool that next time I'll do it on a skateboard.

If you're sad inside because Yuly's Place or your corner store is having trouble, then I guess you should start eating there. I will not. I also won't go to bodegas that don't carry good product. High fructose corn syrup does not a balanced diet make.

Quote:

And if it was so obvious dont you think everyone would have bought up as much property as possible knowing they'd get a cool mill for it?

Perhaps they were content to live in cruddy town. It seems like the idiots on Columbus drive want to urinate all over their front porch and make people uncomfortable. That's the sort of lifestyle that we should protect no matter what, right?

Anyway, it's much more likely folks were unequipped to buy, though many did. The "average joe" should not prevent Jersey City or Newark or Asbury Park from becoming a pleasant place to be... especially when his averageness is part of the stumbling block.

Quote:

And then best off all you call it dirty and say all the people that got kicked out should just move along... if JC is so dirty and backwards to you why dont you be the one to pack up and shuffle along.

I said it was cruddy and shabby, and that I didn't want it to be dirty. You have to read without getting so emotional.

Nobody got kicked out by gentrification. Private action by landlords may have done so, but not the boogieman you call gentrification. I'm here because I like this place, though it is definitely shabby. You must have gotten used to it.

Quote:

I dont even know why I took the time to reply to this garbage.

Because you're scared and you're flailing. I correctly predicted that in my post. Reread it.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Fathom wrote:

Quote:

Especially since neither are actually bad for a corrupt city filled with potholes and crime... Hipsters, yuppies, condos , artists whatever and whoever comes here are better then muggers, and theifs.

This thread is mostly asinine, and the forced choice/ comparison is absurd. Cheers to Fathom for putting it straight. Both hipsters and condos are good for this town, but just not for everyone in it. The old-guard, the chipped-shouldered ones, and the poor are the only folks who should truly object to the changes in this town. I doubt they're all on JCList, or have any real power to slow the changes, so they're scared and are flailing.

So-called hipsters help occupy and demand better real estate, whether rental or not. They also support small businesses (restaurants; art galleries; bars; cafes; vintage stores; grocers; organic bakeries; DIY clothing; Vespa stores) and probably are not too hard on the environment (many don't have cars). Many are trustafarians, and occupy the condos.

Condos are often converted apartments, which should thereby impact the rental market - until/unless the condos return to rentals. They raise the price and the stakes for local housing standards. That's great in a cruddy old town like this. If you oppose it, it's either because you will feel the impact personally or because you have a political ax to grind for "affordable housing" in a shabby downtown despite the market demand for so-called gentrification. As downtown changes in terms of housing, those who cannot afford downtown will move to somewhere else. So what? Perhaps they should have planned for this twenty years ago. Everybody knew this was coming, so God bless you as you pack up and shuffle along.

P.S. I'm neither a hipster nor a condo-owner. I'm reluctantly a yuppie: a student who doesn't want to live in dirty, corrupt, backwards town stuck issues of street-cred and small-mindedness.

This post is the one thats absurd. You say the hipsters and yuppies (or whatever other tools move here) help start and or patron small buisnesses? Uh news flash organic bakerys and gourmet whatever didnt exist until they all got here. So who exactly is that helping, defenitly not the average folk that lived here pre gentrification. And when was the last time (lets just call them yipsters) were seen at a regular pizza joint or bodega that has been here for years, besides the fact that they wanted to be ironic or flashy with there friends by going to a "hood" bodega. Your whole post is mind blowing. I really dont even know where to go with this. You also mention how the people that lived/rented downtown were supposed to know this was going to happen 20-25 years downt he line? Not everyone has a crystal ball my friend. And if it was so obvious dont you think everyone would have bought up as much property as possible knowing they'd get a cool mill for it? And then best off all you call it dirty and say all the people that got kicked out should just move along, this has to be the biggest B.S. ever, if JC is so dirty and backwards to you why dont you be the one to pack up and shuffle along. I dont even know why I took the time to reply to this garbage.

Organic bakeries and fancy bistros still employ dishwashers and busboys and provide plenty of other low skill jobs. It sure beats have an abandoned store front that doesn't generate anything but an eyesore and a place for homeless people to congregate and start fires.

As far as pizzerias and bodegas-- news flash-- yipsters and huppies and hipsters and yuppies eat pizza at Stellas and Helens and at midnight show up at their local bodega to get tampons and cigarettes.

That said of course, a whole lot of luxury condo owners down on the water spend eight hours a day in Jersey City sleeping and the other 16 hours of the day working in Manhattan and drinking fruity cocktails. Too many of them have never bothered to walk two blocks from their shiny new tower. But don't be angry at them; pity them for having such shallow, empty lives.

Still, the vast majority of the new gentrification class actually live here, spend money here, and are making this city better. There is an increasing number of young families downtown, especially around the parks, wealthy educated families whoa aren't inclined to move to the burbs. They are going to demand better public schools-- and thats something everyone in the city can benefit from. They are going to want better services, and be vocal about it.

What's worse for JC? The worst is the old guard politicians more interested in getting fat and rich from the trough of public funds, who are profiteering from their position in government, who instead of making a better Jersey City, are making a bigger personal bank account.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
Fathom wrote:

Quote:

Especially since neither are actually bad for a corrupt city filled with potholes and crime... Hipsters, yuppies, condos , artists whatever and whoever comes here are better then muggers, and theifs.

This thread is mostly asinine, and the forced choice/ comparison is absurd. Cheers to Fathom for putting it straight. Both hipsters and condos are good for this town, but just not for everyone in it. The old-guard, the chipped-shouldered ones, and the poor are the only folks who should truly object to the changes in this town. I doubt they're all on JCList, or have any real power to slow the changes, so they're scared and are flailing.

So-called hipsters help occupy and demand better real estate, whether rental or not. They also support small businesses (restaurants; art galleries; bars; cafes; vintage stores; grocers; organic bakeries; DIY clothing; Vespa stores) and probably are not too hard on the environment (many don't have cars). Many are trustafarians, and occupy the condos.

Condos are often converted apartments, which should thereby impact the rental market - until/unless the condos return to rentals. They raise the price and the stakes for local housing standards. That's great in a cruddy old town like this. If you oppose it, it's either because you will feel the impact personally or because you have a political ax to grind for "affordable housing" in a shabby downtown despite the market demand for so-called gentrification. As downtown changes in terms of housing, those who cannot afford downtown will move to somewhere else. So what? Perhaps they should have planned for this twenty years ago. Everybody knew this was coming, so God bless you as you pack up and shuffle along.

P.S. I'm neither a hipster nor a condo-owner. I'm reluctantly a yuppie: a student who doesn't want to live in dirty, corrupt, backwards town stuck issues of street-cred and small-mindedness.

This post is the one thats absurd. You say the hipsters and yuppies (or whatever other tools move here) help start and or patron small buisnesses? Uh news flash organic bakerys and gourmet whatever didnt exist until they all got here. So who exactly is that helping, defenitly not the average folk that lived here pre gentrification. And when was the last time (lets just call them yipsters) were seen at a regular pizza joint or bodega that has been here for years, besides the fact that they wanted to be ironic or flashy with there friends by going to a "hood" bodega. Your whole post is mind blowing. I really dont even know where to go with this. You also mention how the people that lived/rented downtown were supposed to know this was going to happen 20-25 years downt he line? Not everyone has a crystal ball my friend. And if it was so obvious dont you think everyone would have bought up as much property as possible knowing they'd get a cool mill for it? And then best off all you call it dirty and say all the people that got kicked out should just move along, this has to be the biggest B.S. ever, if JC is so dirty and backwards to you why dont you be the one to pack up and shuffle along. I dont even know why I took the time to reply to this garbage.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fathom wrote:

Quote:

Posted on: 2008/12/14 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Fathom wrote:
whats worse is people set on finding a group to hate on. Especially since neither are actually bad for a corrupt city filled with potholes and crime. Its a step up no matter how edgy and cool you think you are for living in a pre or post gentrified area.
Hipsters, yuppies, condos , artists whatever and whoever comes here are better then muggers, and theifs.
Lastly, haters of all kinds are worse then hipsters and their glasses tattoos and recycled clothes. Or did i make that point already. fIND SOMETHING WORTH COMPLAINING ABOUT, LIKE INCOME TAX OR STANDING AT A CONCERT AND BEING PEE'D ON.

Glasses and tattoos automatically makes you a hipster? Uh oh. At least all of my clothes were bought new.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 1:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/16 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
whats worse is people set on finding a group to hate on. Especially since neither are actually bad for a corrupt city filled with potholes and crime. Its a step up no matter how edgy and cool you think you are for living in a pre or post gentrified area.
Hipsters, yuppies, condos , artists whatever and whoever comes here are better then muggers, and theifs.
Lastly, haters of all kinds are worse then hipsters and their glasses tattoos and recycled clothes. Or did i make that point already. fIND SOMETHING WORTH COMPLAINING ABOUT, LIKE INCOME TAX OR STANDING AT A CONCERT AND BEING PEE'D ON.

Posted on: 2008/12/14 1:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/13 20:39
From hamilton park
Group:
Banned
there are reasons why people flock to area's like philly, the twin cities, boston, carol gardens & williamsburg and yes portland. sometimes its the idea of community, sometimes its financial, sometimes is work required, sometimes it parties/fun/music/nightlife/the spectacle and sometimes its a little of each.

PORTLAND, OREGON is beautiful, and it bums me out to see people knocking it as a "hipster" haven. while it does have that element it has all of the above

ROVING PACKS OF PINBALL CREWs (portland is the pinball capital of america)

NO SALES TAX

MORE BREWERY'S THEN THE BEET CAPITAL OF THE WORLD (at the time of my visit 28 brewerys were accounted for)

FULL NEKKED GO-GO WITH DRINKING & MORE GO-GO BARS PER CAPITA THEN ANYWHERE IN THE U.S.

A SELF SUSTAINING LOCAL ORIENTENTED ECONOMY

BIKE LANES EVERYWHERE

AMERICANS LARGEST BOOKSTORE
ONE OF AMERICAS OLDEST JAPANESE GARDENS

A YEAR ROUND SNOW CAPPED MOUNTAIN THAT IS WITH IN VIEW AND ONLY AN HOUR 1/2 AWAY (YEAR ROUND SNOW!!! EVEN WHEN ITS 90 DEGREES IN THE CITY)

SOMEONE THE GREATEST NEW WAVE OF AMERICAN COOKS, BREAKING OLD RULES AND BUILD NEW CULINARY ADVENTURES

VOODOO DONUTS????

MOVIE THEATERS THAT HAVE 2ND RUN MOVIES FOR 3 BUCKS THAT SERVE BEER AND PIZZA'S??

TAQUERIAS THAT RIVIAL THE DOWNTOWN TAQUERIA

i really wonder why young adults flock to portland? artists? writers? musicians? a city crowded with like minded individuals who love supporting local business working towards a beautiful friendly city that provides for all of its inhabitants? jesus

as much as i enjoy visiting i have no plans on leaving the east coast. i see it happening out there and some of the lessons i learned out there, i have taken and brought back with me. it was inspiring.

in the end luxury condo's are the evil this community doesn't need. hipsters can and are annoying but it nothing a few beers doesn't cure.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
<---- Yappy Yuppie

Posted on: 2008/12/6 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/28 8:43
Group:
Banned
zero hipster points there. if it's a dahon with little wheels you can count on looking like a complete nerd everytime you pedal that thing around..

Posted on: 2008/12/6 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Willy_Lopez wrote:
JC's 'hipster scene' is rediculously small compared to the meccas like Williamsburg, Philly, Austin, SF, Seattle, and Portland. We don't see 20 fixed gear bikes locked up outside every bar and coffee shop just yet.

I don't have a fixed gear but my bike folds, does that count for something ?

Posted on: 2008/12/6 9:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:
i still dont know what a hipster is or the difference between a hipster and a yappy. [...]

That's YUPPIE, though you could have a yappy yuppie.

Use Google to find out what a "hipster" is, it's historical and more recent origins. In the meantime, how bout playin' some...
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/12/6 7:07
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
i still dont know what a hipster is or the difference between a hipster and a yappy. As long as ppl stop hitting each other over the head with baseball bats and knives in JC, i have no complaints.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 2:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pistolpacknpitbull wrote:
And the only way to seem edgy is to march in lockstep with the heaving right-wing bible-thumping flag-waving masses.

Wow, yeah, seriously this thread is pretty pathetic. But out of everything, this is the one line that seemed the dumbest and most ill-informed. If anything, wouldn't a hipster be the EXACT OPPOSITE of this?

Posted on: 2008/12/5 21:28

Re: HILARIOUS NYPD rant towards gentrifying "hipsters"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
LOL. One problem with the apartment ad. Everyone on craigslist knows, Bushwick is now East Williamsburg. Thx.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 20:25

Re: HILARIOUS NYPD rant towards gentrifying "hipsters"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
You thought that was funny read this:
Quote:

ALL UTIL. INCLUDED!!! THIS IS THE ONE YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!
Date: 2008-07-11, 2:53AM EDT

GORGEOUS 10 x 14 BEDROOM, DRENCHED WITH LOTS OF AFTERNOON SUNLIGHT, GENEROUS CLOSET SPACE, CLEAN BATHROOM, NICE COMMON SPACE AND STORAGE. W/D IN BASEMENT (COIN-OP ALTHOUGH LANDLORD IS IN PROCESS OF MAKING IT FREE!) AND ELEC/COOKING GAS/HI-SPEED INTERNET/TRASH PICK-UP INCLUDED IN RENT. STREET PARKING. CLOSE TO HOSPITALS AND SOME SHOPPING.

LIVE WITH TWO QUIET ROOMMATES BOTH STUDENTS (ONE INTERNATIONAL)
NO DRINKING/DRUGS, CALM LIVING ENVIRONMENT FOR RIGHT INDIVIDUAL
WITH REGULAR HOURS.

THERE IS ONE SMALL CATCH THAT HAS NOT BEEN A PROBLEM AT ALL WITH PREVIOUS TENANTS. BEDROOM MUST BE SHARED WITH APPROX. 700 LB. ADULT MALE SILVERBACK GORILLA. THIS IS AN EASTERN LOWLAND GORILLA WHO IS FAIRLY DOCILE ALTHOUGH HE DOES NEED TO "STRETCH HIS LEGS" FROM TIME TO TIME. HE FEEDS ON FRUITS AND LEAVES AND HAS SOMEWHAT OF AN INTENSE SEXUAL APPETITE.

BIG KITCHEN WITH BREAKFAST AREA. BEDROOM WINDOWS FACE REAR COURTYARD NO TRAFFIC NOISE! SOMEWHAT LOW CEILINGS BUT GUT RENOVATED WITH HARDWOOD FLOORS AND ORIGINAL MOLDINGS.
NOT RAILROAD! SEPARATE ROOMS WITH TWO ENTRANCES. SECOND FLOOR WALK-UP.

YEAR LEASE REQUIRED.
FIRST AND LAST PLUS SECURITY. TOTAL OF $1155 MOVE-IN COST.
THIS WILL NOT LAST. NO BROKERS PLEASE.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posted on: 2008/12/5 19:41
ಠ_ಠ

HILARIOUS NYPD rant towards gentrifying "hipsters"
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 23:23
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
Best of Craigslist: Tips For Clueless People Who Get Mugged

Quote:
So you've just moved into a new "gentrifying" neighboorhood that's full of urban culture, cheap(er) rents, and wonderful friendly people. An odd lack of organic food stores and greenmarkets, but you can't have everything. So one day you're doing something #OOPS#ING RETARDED like walking back from the store alone at 1 am or walking home from the subway while texting your sorority sisters back in the #OOPS#ing midwest or something while SIMULTANEOUSLY listening to an ipod with the bright white headphones and you get #OOPS#ing mugged. Congrats, YOU'RE A #OOPS#ING DUMBASS. No, it's not 1990, when men where men, crackheads would #OOPS#ing cut you and the robbery rate was about a billion times higher than it is now, but it's still new york and you were still #OOPS#ing dumb enough to think that paying $1200 for a studio in a shitty neighboorhood is somehow hipper than moving to #OOPS#ing Queens.

Anyway, here's some helpful tips for the next time someone jacks your shit.

1) Pay attention. Granted, you weren't paying attention to start with or you wouldn't have gotten mugged, but now that you've been hit from behind / had a gun shoved in your face, pay attention.

2) Follow directions. Give the friendly mugger what he wants. Don't talk back or fight. In all likelyhood, you're a pussy hipster retard, and are, by NYC law, unarmed.

3) You've been paying attention right? Remember some simple things in this order: sex, clothing color, clothing type, headwear, and direction of flight.

4) Congratulations! You've just been robbed and you're still alive. What now? Well, don't go back to your apartment and call the cops thirty minutes later. Don't call your mom in Kansas and tell her first. CALL THE COPS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. You'd be amazed at how many people #OOPS# up this simple step. Pay phones still exist as do 24/7 bogies. Go there, call the cops.

5) It may take a while for the cops to show up. The 911 system, at best, will result in a five minute wait before we're even notified. Then we have to drive there without killing anyone. Be patient. For that matter, tell the 911 operator exactly where you are. Nothing makes a responding cop happier than having to scour the area for your dumb ass while the perp gets away.

6) Resist the temptation to curse/complain/bitch about the cops while you're waiting for us to show up. We're probably busy. Even if we're not, don't expect us to come tear-assing across the precinct lights and sirens to get to you 2 minutes sooner. I have no intention of broadsiding a livery cab and getting fired just because you got your sidekick took.

7) When we do arrive: get in the car, tell us what they looked like and where they went. Something simple. "AGE/RACE/RED HOODIE/BLUE JEANS/NORTH ON BROADWAY" Really all we need.

8) We are now going to "canvass". Get in the #OOPS#ing car. We aren't going to get you shot you #OOPS#ing pussy. Also, comments like "I can't believe this happened to me" or "I'm in shock" or "OH GOD WHY"- shove it. Save it for the bar later. If you haven't actually gotten shot, shived or stomped grow a #OOPS#ing pair and close your mouth.

9) We are now going to drive around and try to arrest someone. Quick con-law refresher for the lib hippy types: if you're in my car, and have given me a description, THAT MEANS WE ARE STOPPING PEOPLE WHO FIT THAT DESCRIPTION. If you told me they are violent or armed, it's probably going to be a felony stop. So when you tell me it's a 15 year old black kid in a red hoodie with a silver pistol, don't be surprised when the car slams to a halt and we jump out and stop a 15 year old black kid in a red hoodie. I am not violating his rights, I am not hassling him because he's a minority. I'm stopping him because YOU GAVE US HIS #OOPS#ING DESCRIPTION. If the kid is not the one who robbed you, he'll be on his way in five minutes. On the other hand, if he is the one who robbed you, he may decide to run/fight/pull out a gun - you don't stop suspected armed robbers by asking pretty please. If this offends you, get the #OOPS# out of my car and go find the guy who mugged you yourself.

10) We failed to find your robber. No surprise: they've probably done this before and had an escape route all planned out. They were probably back in their apartment / subway / taxi before you even called 911. Don't bitch. It happens. This isn't Law And Order.

11) Yes, you are coming back to the precinct to make a #OOPS#ing report. I'm sure the CO, Kelly and Bloomberg would be #OOPS#ing thrilled if you didn't make a report as this helps the compstat stats (you watch the Wire, right?) but if I did all this #OOPS#ing work, you're taking 30 minutes out of your day to make a god-damn report. Also, after you've finished venting about how we're all corrupt, racist, incompetent morons who probably got bullied in High School, you'll remember that you need a police report for your credit card companies, and you'll show up the next morning with a sheepish expression and ask to make a report. Let's do this now while the memory is still fresh.

11a) "You'll never catch the guy", "I don't remember much" and variations thereof are just insulting. Our detectives have been doing this job for years, and despite what TV/Movies taught you, only a small fraction are burned out alcoholics. They probably are going to catch this guy... eventually.

12) No racial language please. The odds are good you just got robbed by a black or hispanic male, and your buried-deep racism may be bubbling to the surface (especially if you're an out of town transplant / college student). The majority of the co-workers on my shift and in the DT squad are minority. It's embarrassing when you use racial slurs in front of them. Amazingly, most cops aren't racist, although we do have a universal contempt for crackheads, gang members, and dumbass white people.

In conclusion: Don't be stupid, pay attention, call the cops, and don't be a dick.

mooooooohahahaha

Posted on: 2008/12/5 19:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:

Over the last few years, I've seen so many of my hipster acquaintances come and go. They bounce around 3-4 apt's in brooklyn for 2 years, and then move to LA, SanFran, or Portland... Just last week I was told how "Portland is where it is at right now." I laughed to myself, tipped my yankee hat and bid farewell. But took that information, and logged it for future hipster encounters... Next time a hipster complains about "This place getting too played out", I will simply tell them how "Portland is where it's at right now", in hopes that it's one less hipster that decides "JC is the next brooklyn".

It's the one thing that really annoys me about the hipster culture is the lack of commitment to their environment. They will move to Bed Stuy and not even know who Peter Stuvesant is...The fashion is so poser it has no REAL commitment. It's whole concept is based on trying to out-do the person next to you with obscurity and randomness. There is no loyalty to music, it's whatever is the new sub-genre of indie music is. And they love to just add the word PUNK to the end of it's classification to give it street cred. Like, IndieClashDiscoPunk.

I blame the hipsterfication of music on my good friend, the internet. Back in the day, the only way you could hear about new bands is by actually going to shows. Nowadays, you can just cruise for bands on myspace. You can just buy band tshirts without ever getting your a$$ kicked in the pit. You can go online and read 2 or 3 photoshop tutorials and call yourself an artist... The hipsters just latch on to anything new, without committing to anything real.

brian em - i hear that. i'll be tipping my mets hat next to you, my friend. they don't really know what's going in the community or what it really means to be from there. or the real reason why it is cool to be there. hahah. i appreciate your comments about the music. i couldn't agree with you more. most of these people get their music from a magazine or website that tells them what's good. then people like me walk into a bar and somehow talk music with a hipster, and they tell me that they're amazed that i haven't heard of a band, then another hipster overhears the stupid conversation to begin with and says 'yeah, i know that band'. then i turn around to somebody else sitting next to me while covering one side of my face, pointing back and forth to the two super-cool music fanatics and say 'fckin idiots.'

Posted on: 2008/10/28 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
American Gentrifier...lol. priceless.

If anyone else is down, I wouldn't mind starting up a "Jersey Gentrification" zine...lol.

But anyways, I'm glad to see this thread take a more humorous position, like I originally intended. I think people just kind of lost their heads by not realizing what hipsters really were.

Is there REAL hatred there? No. But they are extremely annoying.

I don't want to go on a rant here, BUT....

As far as gentrification as a whole, goes. I think hipsters fall into a different category. It sucks to see the original fabric of a community being washed away, but at the same time, there are some positive benefits from it. And at least, from what I see, the yuppie-type crowd seems to be in it more for the long term.

Hipsters are more of a product of this gentrification. But they add no value to a community except to the local PBR distributor. And they offer less of a time commitment. They are always looking for the next "cool" place to live.

Over the last few years, I've seen so many of my hipster acquaintances come and go. They bounce around 3-4 apt's in brooklyn for 2 years, and then move to LA, SanFran, or Portland... Just last week I was told how "Portland is where it is at right now." I laughed to myself, tipped my yankee hat and bid farewell. But took that information, and logged it for future hipster encounters... Next time a hipster complains about "This place getting too played out", I will simply tell them how "Portland is where it's at right now", in hopes that it's one less hipster that decides "JC is the next brooklyn".

It's the one thing that really annoys me about the hipster culture is the lack of commitment to their environment. They will move to Bed Stuy and not even know who Peter Stuvesant is...The fashion is so poser it has no REAL commitment. It's whole concept is based on trying to out-do the person next to you with obscurity and randomness. There is no loyalty to music, it's whatever is the new sub-genre of indie music is. And they love to just add the word PUNK to the end of it's classification to give it street cred. Like, IndieClashDiscoPunk.

I blame the hipsterfication of music on my good friend, the internet. Back in the day, the only way you could hear about new bands is by actually going to shows. Nowadays, you can just cruise for bands on myspace. You can just buy band tshirts without ever getting your a$$ kicked in the pit. You can go online and read 2 or 3 photoshop tutorials and call yourself an artist... The hipsters just latch on to anything new, without committing to anything real.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 4:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Resized Image

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

The Utne Reader describes the rise of ?Hipster Rap?, which "...consists of the most recent crop of MCs and DJs who flout conventional hip-hop fashions, eschewing baggy clothes and gold chains for tight jeans, big sunglasses, the occasional keffiyeh, and other trappings of the hipster lifestyle."

This "hipster rap" has been criticized by the ?old-school hip-hop website Unkut, and Jersey City rapper Mazzi", who call the mainstream rappers "poseurs" or "...fags for copping the metrosexual appearances of hipster fashion."

http://www.utne.com/2008-06-13/Arts/H ... ttleground.aspx?blogid=32

Here are Top 5 Leaders of the NEW ?Hipster Rap? Movement
http://oghiphop.com/2008/10/the-top-5 ... the-hipster-rap-movement/

Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

aoao wrote:
i have a question: when did all these hipsters start moving in? seems like a total epidemic down there? i currently live off of the continent and i'm just baffled by all the hipster comments.

when did they all move in? is it really that bad? just downtown? not lincoln park?

someone get back to me with this.

Willy hit the nail on the head. Its nothing like much of NYC, Philly, Seattle etc etc, but the Grove street area defenitly got a pretty big influx of them over the past years. Little fancy caffes started opening up along with sushi places, ya know stuff that yuppies and hipsters like.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hipsters seem as if they have always been around:

Resized Image
Some hipsters from the early 60's

Resized Image
Dali -- circa 1930

Resized Image
Duchamp -- circa 1919

Seems like it'll just keep growing...
Quote:

designknob wrote:
Oh god, it's a FAD!

Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
JC's 'hipster scene' is rediculously small compared to the meccas like Williamsburg, Philly, Austin, SF, Seattle, and Portland. We don't see 20 fixed gear bikes locked up outside every bar and coffee shop just yet.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 0:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/19 19:54
Group:
Registered Users
i have a question: when did all these hipsters start moving in? seems like a total epidemic down there? i currently live off of the continent and i'm just baffled by all the hipster comments.

when did they all move in? is it really that bad? just downtown? not lincoln park?

someone get back to me with this.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I am neither.

Well that confuses me even more then. Makes it even weirder why you get so bent when someone makes fun of them. Oh well whatever to each his own I guess right. Im gonna E- shake hands with you Tommy

Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:39

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017