Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
51 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: 'What is this, Russia?' Jersey City property owners fight developer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCGuys wrote:
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Does every crevice of the city have to be built up as soon as possible as much as possible?

I used to live on Monmouth on the other side of Old Colony Mall. I still take my kids to P.S. 3. I go shopping at Ranch 99 and have the occasional craving for Popeyes or a donut from Dunkin Donuts. A while back I used the auto body shop to fix a banged up car for a few hundred bucks that the insurance company insisted was totalled. Point being that I've been around there and still have occasion to go there.

Sure you could spruce up those few blocks and build some townhouses or apartments, but is the city really hurting because they haven't done so yet? If the current landowners are really squatting or speculating that's one thing, but if it's just a question of waiting a couple of years, or maybe building a little smaller, then why give a developer the power of eminent domain at the expense of current owners, residents, and business owners?

In light of the recent tax increases in Downtown due to the reval and pending school tax increases, it's in DTJC's best interest to build as dense as it can, wherever it can. Many homeless people live in that area in the abandoned housing and that area does not feel safe at night.

Bingo! I don't understand why the anti-development people don't understand that. Also, the more luxury the development, the more tax revenue it will bring in (be it PILOT payments or property taxes, it's still revenue to the city). The luxury tower at 99 Hudson alone will have over 700 condos with assessments averaging $750,000. That's over half a billion in new ratables and 6-7 million in new property taxes. They new money can be used to lower everyone's taxes or be used to fund additional city services.

HAHAHAHAHAH!!

When have you EVER seen property taxes go DOWN??????

NOT in NJ!

Posted on: 2018/7/10 0:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
How many long term abatements have been given out in the last year?

If any were, were they for market rate luxury housing?

Posted on: 2018/7/10 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If property is tax abated, it does not help, that is a contract and the city spends that money as fast as it receives. If it is not tax abatement then it is a ratable, which stabilizes the tax base and the county, schools will get their fair share.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about, but that has already been established! Ratable or abatement, it is still money to the city. Whatever money the city gets from an abatement, it represents actual "income" which means the city needs to raise less money via regular taxation.

And, of course, there is that little pesky fact you choose to ignore: the abatement payments actually add more money to the city coffers than if the property in question was paying regular taxes. Why don't we talk about that??

I would love to hear the rebuttal on this. Either Yvonne is right or you are bod. Can't wait for the finally.

Posted on: 2018/7/10 0:54
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If property is tax abated, it does not help, that is a contract and the city spends that money as fast as it receives. If it is not tax abatement then it is a ratable, which stabilizes the tax base and the county, schools will get their fair share.

You have NO IDEA what you are talking about, but that has already been established! Ratable or abatement, it is still money to the city. Whatever money the city gets from an abatement, it represents actual "income" which means the city needs to raise less money via regular taxation.

And, of course, there is that little pesky fact you choose to ignore: the abatement payments actually add more money to the city coffers than if the property in question was paying regular taxes. Why don't we talk about that??

Posted on: 2018/7/10 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

No abatement for 99 Hudson. And I agree with you that there really should only be 5 year abatement going forward for downtown. Other areas of the city still need a little help, but not 30 years.

Posted on: 2018/7/10 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/27 19:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/9 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Does every crevice of the city have to be built up as soon as possible as much as possible?

I used to live on Monmouth on the other side of Old Colony Mall. I still take my kids to P.S. 3. I go shopping at Ranch 99 and have the occasional craving for Popeyes or a donut from Dunkin Donuts. A while back I used the auto body shop to fix a banged up car for a few hundred bucks that the insurance company insisted was totalled. Point being that I've been around there and still have occasion to go there.

Sure you could spruce up those few blocks and build some townhouses or apartments, but is the city really hurting because they haven't done so yet? If the current landowners are really squatting or speculating that's one thing, but if it's just a question of waiting a couple of years, or maybe building a little smaller, then why give a developer the power of eminent domain at the expense of current owners, residents, and business owners?

In light of the recent tax increases in Downtown due to the reval and pending school tax increases, it's in DTJC's best interest to build as dense as it can, wherever it can. Many homeless people live in that area in the abandoned housing and that area does not feel safe at night.

Bingo! I don't understand why the anti-development people don't understand that. Also, the more luxury the development, the more tax revenue it will bring in (be it PILOT payments or property taxes, it's still revenue to the city). The luxury tower at 99 Hudson alone will have over 700 condos with assessments averaging $750,000. That's over half a billion in new ratables and 6-7 million in new property taxes. They new money can be used to lower everyone's taxes or be used to fund additional city services.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

I agree with you - "why give a developer the power of eminent domain at the expense of current owners, residents, and business owners?" This is another land grab.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

This right here is the most convincing and honest argument for increased development. We just completed a reval that is causing many homeowners to cough up substantial increases in property taxes. Those taxes will invariably go up substantially in two or three years, once school funding is adjusted. Any opposition to increasing the tax base is silly given the financial realities of the city.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 22:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It is long overdue. He had his chance. Build it, make the area better for everyone. Next would love to see the area where Ranch 99 is to be transformed.

Build, build and build more. Stop with the suburban sprawl and put the masses closer together.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Posted on: 2018/7/9 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/9 21:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
There was already two developments (including Mecca) in place to be built... you should read the article again. Also remember the 2008 crash and Hurricane Sandy, not exactly great development times.

"Jim Burke, an attorney for one of the property owners, said he is stunned by the city's push to bring on Weiss as a master developer. Burke's client has approval to build a 12-story building on property he owns at Colden and Bates streets.

"My client worked closely with the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency throughout the development process, so to be told this 18 months later is a bit shocking," Burke said."

Regard your comment on how the areas looks--Not everything has to be luxury residential buildings.

The projects you mention gained approval in late 2016 I believe. It's been close to 1.5 years - why hasn't any ground been broken? I feel bad for the small lot owners in that area that may get forced out, this seems like an overly aggressive land grab by the city to a politically connected developer, but that area needs change asap. The next recession could be here before you know it and if construction doesn't start, that area could remain a dump for another 10 years.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:

Regard your comment on how the areas looks--Not everything has to be luxury residential buildings.

It's not a binary thing, you know!? It's not "third world country, sh!thole situation" or "luxury". Any development in that area would be an improvement. The area, as it currently stands, is really, really nasty and it is almost impassable. The road is a mess and the body shop parks cars all over the place. It's way past time to get something done about that area.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ecoindie wrote:
There was already two developments (including Mecca) in place to be built... you should read the article again. Also remember the 2008 crash and Hurricane Sandy, not exactly great development times.

Yet there has been new development of all scales completed and at least broken ground all over DT in that time, some also right next to the Tpk further north. It does not sound like Mr Mecca has credibility as a developer, a comment on NJ.com said he has never built anything anywhere, is just a speculator. It's a common speculator tactic to get permits before selling, it increases the price asked.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 16:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users

"Jim Burke, an attorney for one of the property owners, said he is stunned by the city's push to bring on Weiss as a master developer. Burke's client has approval to build a 12-story building on property he owns at Colden and Bates streets.

"My client worked closely with the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency throughout the development process, so to be told this 18 months later is a bit shocking," Burke said."

Posted on: 2018/7/9 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Seems to me from reading the story that the owners are fighting the city, which after giving them 12 years to break ground has said that enough is enough and brought in Weiss. You gotta admit it's startlingly nasty back there.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 16:12

'What is this, Russia?' Jersey City property owners fight developer
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/25 20:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/7/9 13:35

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]