Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at HP neighborhood meeting - RFP now being sought
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
For me it's not so much about the bus, although I believe that it is inherently not safe for a 3 year to be in a vehicle without a car seat or restraint system, it's about sending the kids downtown to the shit ass neighborhoods in the rest of the city. I would rather pay the 14-20K a year to put my kid in private daycare than send him to The Heights, Greenville, Journal Square, West Side or whatever other shit hole they want to send them.
Fulop knows this and that's why he doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Bottom line!

Bingo! Thanks for your honesty.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 2:32

Re: Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at HP neighborhood meeting - RFP now being sought
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
For me it's not so much about the bus, although I believe that it is inherently not safe for a 3 year to be in a vehicle without a car seat or restraint system, it's about sending the kids downtown to the shit ass neighborhoods in the rest of the city. I would rather pay the 14-20K a year to put my kid in private daycare than send him to The Heights, Greenville, Journal Square, West Side or whatever other shit hole they want to send them.
Fulop knows this and that's why he doesn't give a flying f about putting free preschool downtown. Bottom line!

Posted on: 2014/6/6 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
Quote:
Your kid will survive being bused to other parts of town. They might even learn about diversity in the process!

Monroe, this is your best one yet. You think anyone going to a public school in Jersey City doesn't live with diversity every day? That's why we live here. This is about putting a 3 year old on a bus.

Somehow if the kids were being put on a bus to, say, Essex Fells, I think the parents would be ok with it . . .

Posted on: 2014/6/6 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

No doubt the developer would probably get a plus from the buyout, but the city would have more to tax as well and one less building to maintain as the BOE isn't covering the costs of a whole new building they don't want. To me it seems like a win/win.

I don't know how much under market the BOE bid but my understanding is that it was similar to what they pay for other spaces. Could be that is way under market. If so you may have a point.

I don't think them having some of the space means that none of the rest of it can be leased to anyone, but that is possible as I'm not sure that schools can share spaces.

I do abject to the language of 'giving away', 'free assets' because that is objectively not true. It may be less than the city could make via other options, but it is better than what they have now. Depending on the delta between the other options and the BOE proposal it could be better one way or another in the short term. I'd be pretty interested in seeing that math because my understanding is that it is not that compelling. Granted my source is probably biased.

The Penrose Project is being funded by Choice Neighborhood Tax credits of $30m, and not by the BOE. Of those credits, $6.5m comes from external sources, a sizable part of the balance of $20m+ probably comes from the City: $1,552,228 in 9 percent Low Income Housing Tax Credits from NJHMFA, $3,904,428, in Sandy Relief funds, and over a million dollars in HOPE VI funds from the Jersey City Housing Authority.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... g_for_three_projects.html

For the Golden Door site, the BOE offered $1300/student, which given 60 students works out at around $78k/year. The Charter School was paying that figure per month - meaning the potential revenue loss to the City could be as high as $800k+/year. Having a deal with the BOE in-place blocks the JCRA's RFP process to establish current market value. Who knows - a new tenant may be happy to sub-lease space to the BOE?

Both the building and the revenue stream it produces (cash) are 'assets'. That minus $800k will show in the asset column of the City's balance sheet. The City is giving away both the use of an asset, plus forgoing revenue (a cash asset). So yes, the City is giving away assets despite your objections to the language.

The BOE seems to have a rent-a-mob approach to financial management, which to explains to me why they have trouble with their budget. Do they want to throw away up to $30m in tax credits (that the City mightn't be able to recoup from the developer), plus ask the City to forgo up to $800k/year, just because the parents of 60 kids don't want to bus their kids to school?

Thankfully the City seems to be more grounded and knows how to manage finances.

http://www.accountingtools.com/questi ... ct-the-balance-sheet.html

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... ssroom-shortage-concerns/

Posted on: 2014/6/6 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Your kid will survive being bused to other parts of town. They might even learn about diversity in the process!

Monroe, this is your best one yet. You think anyone going to a public school in Jersey City doesn't live with diversity every day? That's why we live here. This is about putting a 3 year old on a bus.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I think you are confusing covering original costs with asset value and potential lost City revenue. The BOE offer is a low-ball one based on their declared ability to pay, and not market value. Plus it likely blocks other parties interested in renting the space. And the developer tapped for the new building gets their abatement extension without needing to give over preK space:

- Win for the BOE in terms of low-cost classrooms
- Win for the developer - can devote more space for regular rental/sales, plus keeps longer abatement. I'd bet this more than covers the "buy-out".
- Loss for City on the developer buy-out, plus revenue stream loss compared to a full-price rental, or a resale/new PILOT.

Going back to the PA example. What's being championed would be similar to handing over office space at City hall to the PA, so the PA could build another Grove St exit direct to City hall for the convenience of office workers and VVP residents. Handing over City assets like this is insane.

No doubt the developer would probably get a plus from the buyout, but the city would have more to tax as well and one less building to maintain as the BOE isn't covering the costs of a whole new building they don't want. To me it seems like a win/win.

I don't know how much under market the BOE bid but my understanding is that it was similar to what they pay for other spaces. Could be that is way under market. If so you may have a point.

I don't think them having some of the space means that none of the rest of it can be leased to anyone, but that is possible as I'm not sure that schools can share spaces.

I do abject to the language of 'giving away', 'free assets' because that is objectively not true. It may be less than the city could make via other options, but it is better than what they have now. Depending on the delta between the other options and the BOE proposal it could be better one way or another in the short term. I'd be pretty interested in seeing that math because my understanding is that it is not that compelling. Granted my source is probably biased.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:

What free assets? The BOE is willing to pay for the space and the developer tapped for the new building is willing to pay of a huge portion of the debt. No one is asking for a hand out.

I think you are confusing covering original costs with asset value and potential lost City revenue. The BOE offer is a low-ball one based on their declared ability to pay, and not market value. Plus it likely blocks other parties interested in renting the space. And the developer tapped for the new building gets their abatement extension without needing to give over preK space:

- Win for the BOE in terms of low-cost classrooms
- Win for the developer - can devote more space for regular rental/sales, plus keeps longer abatement. I'd bet this more than covers the "buy-out".
- Loss for City on the developer buy-out, plus revenue stream loss compared to a full-price rental, or a resale/new PILOT.

Going back to the PA example. What's being championed would be similar to handing over office space at City hall to the PA, so the PA could build another Grove St exit direct to City hall for the convenience of office workers and VVP residents. Handing over City assets like this is insane.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If there is an existing school that has unused capacity (that's true, yes?) with existing staff and infrastructure why repeat the staffing (school nurses, aides, security)? Isn't that a huge cost?

Could be, but that's not Fulop's proposal either. I think there is some limited capacity at other schools, but not much in the lower grades, mostly in higher grades. Maybe the prediction is that space runs out in the next couple of years?

Fulop's current plan is to have a developer build a new school in a district that already has some extra capacity (not enough to cover the shortage elsewhere) and then bus kids to that new school from downtown.

The alternative proposed by the BOE is to have the developer pay off most of the debt on the downtown space instead of building a school where it is not needed.

If there is a third alternative that accommodates all the kids who need space in other existing spots in the city then that is obviously better but I haven't heard that proposed by anyone so I assume there is agreement that more space is needed.

With the third option building the new school that no one wants is still absurd. Get something else from the developer that is actually needed/wanted.

Quote:

That said, I'm not for spending precious school dollars so brownstone owners can have their nannies walk their kids to school rather than walk them to a nice yellow school bus

What if that's the most cost effective solution? It's certainly more cost effective than Fulop's plan. Though less so than using existing space (if that is possible, I agree it would be the best option).

Posted on: 2014/6/5 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If there is an existing school that has unused capacity (that's true, yes?) with existing staff and infrastructure why repeat the staffing (school nurses, aides, security)? Isn't that a huge cost?

It'll be interesting to see how Fulop finesses the situation.

And I'm only pissed about spending waste, I understand that inner city schools deserve some extra support.

That said, I'm not for spending precious school dollars so brownstone owners can have their nannies walk their kids to school rather than walk them to a nice yellow school bus.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Apparently the city has the capacity for preK, just not within stroller distance of the loudest complainers. Under Abbott, the parents can expect free preK for their kids (at the expense of other kids parents in the suburbs) but they can't expect it to be smack dab in their own backyard.

Your kid will survive being bused to other parts of town. They might even learn about diversity in the process! Worried about busing? Maybe create a volunteer group to rotate riding with the kids to and fro?

1. It has nothing to do with my kid and my kid is well past pre-k.

2. There is space in the backyard, it is unused, the BOE is willing to pay for it, a developer is willing to subsidize it.

It's not like anyone is demanding for a new school to be built in their backyard. People are wondering why they can't pay to use the school that is already there instead of having a new school built where no one wants one.

For someone who is always pissed that the rest of NJ is subsidizing JC schools you'd think you'd want the solution that costs less for the BOE.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Twisting words I think. Substitute BOE with PANYNJ. The City has every interest in working with the PA to ensure good transport links into JC. It's not responsible for handing over free City assets to facilitate those links.

As far as interests of JC and its citizens, put it on the ballot. The interest of JC and it's citizens isn't simply about a narrow section of entitled downtown parents that think a bus ride across the City is too much of a hardship for their free preK places. I doubt the rest of JC shares your view.

What free assets? The BOE is willing to pay for the space and the developer tapped for the new building is willing to pay of a huge portion of the debt. No one is asking for a hand out.

It's not about hardship and free handouts it's about putting resources where they are needed. What possible reason is there to build a brand new school in an area of town that does not need a school when you already have one built in the area that needs space? One that the BOE is willing to pay to use and a developer is willing to pay for with the funds they would have used to build a school no one wants?

You keep saying hand out, but I simply don't understand why you think that is the case. Also, if you're wondering I my child is not impacted by this one way or another so there is no self interest here. Just simple good governance.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's the BOE's and the NJSDA's responsibility to provide classrooms and not the City's. The BOE seems to eaten it's own half-billion dollar lunch and now seems intent on robbing the City. So no, letting the BOE raid the City's assets makes zero sense to me.

The city has zero responsibility towards helping provide schooling for the people who live here? There is no 'raid on assets', they would pay to use the space as a school.

Simply put, anyone who thinks that the city has no responsibility to work with the BOE on providing education and facilities is a person who I can feel pretty safe in ignoring when it comes to what is actually in the interests of JC and its citizens.

Twisting words I think. Substitute BOE with PANYNJ. The City has every interest in working with the PA to ensure good transport links into JC. It's not responsible for handing over free City assets to facilitate those links.

As far as interests of JC and its citizens, put it on the ballot. The interest of JC and it's citizens isn't simply about a narrow section of entitled downtown parents that think a bus ride across the City is too much of a hardship for their free preK places. I doubt the rest of JC shares your view.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

It's the BOE's and the NJSDA's responsibility to provide classrooms and not the City's. The BOE seems to eaten it's own half-billion dollar lunch and now seems intent on robbing the City. So no, letting the BOE raid the City's assets makes zero sense to me.

The city has zero responsibility towards helping provide schooling for the people who live here? There is no 'raid on assets', they would pay to use the space as a school.

Simply put, anyone who thinks that the city has no responsibility to work with the BOE on providing education and facilities is a person who I can feel pretty safe in ignoring when it comes to what is actually in the interests of JC and its citizens.

Apparently the city has the capacity for preK, just not within stroller distance of the loudest complainers. Under Abbott, the parents can expect free preK for their kids (at the expense of other kids parents in the suburbs) but they can't expect it to be smack dab in their own backyard.

Your kid will survive being bused to other parts of town. They might even learn about diversity in the process! Worried about busing? Maybe create a volunteer group to rotate riding with the kids to and fro?

Posted on: 2014/6/5 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/5 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I don't think the City's stance on this is insane - quite the reverse. They are protecting the best interests of the City and it's finances. Their fallback is to sell the property for redevelopment, perhaps getting the developer to agree to providing low-cost preK facilities as part of any redevelopment. The City would profit from the sale and PILOT issued. Long-term, that may be a win for everyone. Any other resolution needs to be measured against this option in cold hard financial terms. The point of the RFP, and not guaranteeing preK at the building, is that the City is trying to figure whether there's a real rental interest, and cannot offer that if the BOE is a sitting tenant.

Except for the pre-school kids who have to bussed across town. What seem to be happening here is Fulop has strange set of priorities based on JC not having to fund the shcool system. So he's willing to have an ad-hoc solution that costs more overall and is worse for the children and families because it saves JC some money, regardless of the impact on the BOE, families and neighborhood.

It might be a better long term solution if you think money is always the only determining factor. Even given that, adequate classroom space in your most valuable neighborhood seems like a good idea for long term success.

Again, a developer offered to pay off a good chunk of the debt instead of building an unneeded building that no one besides Fulop wants built.

It's the BOE's and the NJSDA's responsibility to provide classrooms and not the City's. The BOE seems to have eaten it's own half-billion dollar lunch and now seems intent on robbing the City. So no, letting the BOE raid the City's assets makes zero sense to me.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 17:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

I don't think the City's stance on this is insane - quite the reverse. They are protecting the best interests of the City and it's finances. Their fallback is to sell the property for redevelopment, perhaps getting the developer to agree to providing low-cost preK facilities as part of any redevelopment. The City would profit from the sale and PILOT issued. Long-term, that may be a win for everyone. Any other resolution needs to be measured against this option in cold hard financial terms. The point of the RFP, and not guaranteeing preK at the building, is that the City is trying to figure whether there's a real rental interest, and cannot offer that if the BOE is a sitting tenant.

Except for the pre-school kids who have to bussed across town. What seem to be happening here is Fulop has strange set of priorities based on JC not having to fund the shcool system. So he's willing to have an ad-hoc solution that costs more overall and is worse for the children and families because it saves JC some money, regardless of the impact on the BOE, families and neighborhood.

It might be a better long term solution if you think money is always the only determining factor. Even given that, adequate classroom space in your most valuable neighborhood seems like a good idea for long term success.

Again, a developer offered to pay off a good chunk of the debt instead of building an unneeded building that no one besides Fulop wants built.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 17:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Unfortunately everyone I've met who blames the Mayor doesn't comprehend that this is voted on by the development board, and NOT the Mayor nor the Council, and that there is absolutely zero precedent of a city doing what the BoE wants this city to do. If these people come back to earth this issue becomes somewhat of a no brainer.

There's zero precedent of a city taking a property they own that was built to be a school and is currently vacant and making it a school? I doubt that.

They Mayor is working to have a developer build new facility where no one wants one and kids will have to bussed there. The developer put a deal on the table to take what they would have paid to build the new facility (as part of a deal for more density) and put the money towards paying off the debt on this one and Fulop nixed it. That's insane.

The original stated purpose was to build a community center not a school - though it was part of Schundler's plan to get around State law prohibiting the use of public money to build Charters. The original skullduggery is a fascinating read - see links.

Of course the other option as Yvonne has suggested is to revert the building to it's original stated purpose - a Community Center.

On whether the debt is paid off, I guess $9.5million at 8% works out at around 20 years given the debt service payments - so perhaps the City will have paid the loan sometime after 2020.

Anyone got an update on last night's meeting?

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... ASC&type=&mode=0&start=25

http://www.balcer.com/charterschools.htm

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2011/07/post_33.html

http://charterschoolscandals.blogspot ... -door-charter-school.html

Posted on: 2014/6/5 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rescuelife wrote:
Unfortunately everyone I've met who blames the Mayor doesn't comprehend that this is voted on by the development board, and NOT the Mayor nor the Council, and that there is absolutely zero precedent of a city doing what the BoE wants this city to do. If these people come back to earth this issue becomes somewhat of a no brainer.

There's zero precedent of a city taking a property they own that was built to be a school and is currently vacant and making it a school? I doubt that.

They Mayor is working to have a developer build new facility where no one wants one and kids will have to bussed there. The developer put a deal on the table to take what they would have paid to build the new facility (as part of a deal for more density) and put the money towards paying off the debt on this one and Fulop nixed it. That's insane.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/1 22:03
Group:
Registered Users
The JCRA must have annual audits of the building operations. The law requires them to do them every year. Has anyone send in open records request for the past 5 years. By law, they have to provide it.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 5:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
and the Mayor controls the JCRA Board. Are you that naive!!! They will do what he wants them to do. Period!!! End of story. You can't be that much of a Fulop Zombie to believe he doesn't control the JCRA Board!

Posted on: 2014/6/5 5:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
excellent point, something is not right about this. The center was built under Shundler, it should be close to being paid off by now. The JCRA has become a lap dog for Mayor Fulop.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/4 6:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Allowing the school district to utilize the center is "the best outcome for the city, for the students, for the parents, for the Board of Education," Schapiro told The Jersey Journal.

If the BOE covers the City debt burden on the property then fine. Otherwise it should go to the best offer. The City can't simply hand over property virtually for free just because the BOE say they cant afford it. That is stupid financial mgt.

They get half a billion dollars of free NJ money every year, how could they not afford it?

Posted on: 2014/6/4 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Allowing the school district to utilize the center is "the best outcome for the city, for the students, for the parents, for the Board of Education," Schapiro told The Jersey Journal.

If the BOE covers the City debt burden on the property then fine. Otherwise it should go to the best offer. The City can't simply hand over property virtually for free just because the BOE say they cant afford it. That is stupid financial mgt.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
With an annual debt load of $750K, how many times has JCRA refinanced this site?

Posted on: 2014/6/4 0:53

Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at HP neighborhood meeting - RFP now being sought
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop to speak on pre-k fight at neighborhood meeting
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on June 03, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Link to Article

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop will face some unhappy Hamilton Park parents at the Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association meeting tomorrow night.

Fulop and a group of Downtown residents have been at odds for months over the future of the Ninth Street community center that has housed four classes of pre-k students since last year

The Jersey City Redevelopment Agency, which owns the center, is seeking a more permanent occupant for the building via a request-for-proposal (RFP) process. The BOE used some of the space this school year because they lost pre-k classrooms in 2013.

Find the RFP Here

Local parent Matt Schapiro, who has led the charge to keep the students housed in the community center, said the city should have offered the center to the school district first. Schapiro and other parents in the area fear that if another entity moves into the center in September, their toddlers will be forced to take buses to other schools.

BOE President Sangeeta Ranade said the district plans to submit a bid for the center, which could house up to 400 students.

The HPNA meeting begins at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at School 37, 151 Erie St. (CORDERO SCHOOL)

HPNAJC Website

Posted on: 2014/6/4 0:02

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017