Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Gay marriage advocates lobby to override Christie's veto
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Is this the former Soviet Union? The first thing they did - remove religion, we are close to that now, only worship not exercise of religion, then they allowed abortion. Because abortion has been around for a long time, the now Russian government, no more Soviet Union, are encouraging people to make babies. They are now raffling off prizes when children are born. It also reminds me of a comment made by the late John Paul 11, he said these beautiful churches in Italy, will one day be Mosques, because the Muslims in Italy are having 7 children while the Italians are having one. Think about it, the people who want to destroy the USA are having seven children while we destroy our own.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
From this site (http://blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=7016):

A non-fallacious argument that is also presented against same sex-marriage involves the contention that allowing same-sex marriage on the basis of a specific principle would require that, on the pain of inconsistency, we also accept polygamous marriage. This principle is typically some variant of the principle that a person should be able to marry any other person. Given that polygamous marriage is supposed to be bad, this would seem to entail that we should not allow same-sex marriage.

My first standard reply to this argument is that if different-sex marriage does not require us to accept polygamous marriage, then neither does accepting same-sex marriage. But, if accepting same-sex marriage entails that we have to accept polygamous marriage, the same would also apply to different-sex marriage. That this is so is shown by the following argument. If same-sex marriage is based on the principle that a person should be allowed to marry the person they wish to marry, then it would seem that different-sex marriage is based on the principle that a person should be allowed to marry the person of the opposite sex they wish to marry. By analogy, if allowing a person to marry any person they want to marry allows polygamous marriage, then allowing a person to marry a member of the opposite sex would also allow polygamous marriage-albeit only to a member of the opposite sex. But, if the slide to polygamy can be stopped in the case of different-sex marriage, then the same stopping mechanism can be used in the case of same-sex marriage.

In the case of different-sex marriage, there is generally an injunction against people marrying more than one person at a time. This same injunction would certainly seem to be applicable in the case of same-sex marriage. After all, there is nothing about accepting same-sex marriage that inherently requires accepting polygamous marriage.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Plural marriages are legal and accepted in many countries around the world, don't know why having them here is any different than gay marriage. You'd think the 'progressive' gay marriage advocates would be ok with them, rather than oppose them because it doesn't fit their definition of marriage-which they've been trying to redefine to suit their own desires. It's actually pretty funny to see the proponents of gay marriage corkscrew themselves into the ground arguing against plural marriage. 'We want to change the definition of marriage, as it has been for thousands of years, but don't want it changed more once we change it'.

okay, let's do this Monroe. How is it any different? Well, when I learned to count, I remember learning that 3 was larger than 2 and in real life, if 3 people shared something, there would be less of it.

So since marriage gives you tax, insurance, and other benefits, how will marriage between 3 people work? I didn't see a "TRIPLE JOINTLY FILE" option on my tax return.

Also, since you want to go the retarded route, how can my kangaroo lover sign the IRS form to receive my medical benefits? He would have to sue the pen maker first because they don't make kangaroo shaped pens...like wtf?

You brought up the animal/incest comparison, not I. That's a stupid argument that I don't agree with.

As far as changing laws, if you can advocate change to same sex partners it would be just as easy to change the laws to make plural marriages work. What's a few more pages of tax codes to the thousands that exist?

You talk about changing the institution of marriage, making it more than 3 certainly does that. It's not just a few pages of tax code and it's not just about diving it up in 3!

Does the 2nd or 3rd wife have custody of the children? Or sole life threatening decision making ability in a medical emergency? Who receives the earned income tax credit? Who is head of household? How do you divide an estate into 4's if the man is married to 4 wives - or, how do you tax the estate to 4 people? Would the family and medical leave act be available to all 6 wives to care for 1 children?

The institution of marriage does not support polygamy. I can easily answer all these questions for gay couples though!

All questions you pose can be worked out, just as many things would be worked out for same sex 'marriage'.

If you want to redefine marriage, then you're opening it up. If you want to jump from one man/one woman to something else, well, plural marriages are on the table. I'm sure the many other countries that have legal plural marriages have solutions for the questions you pose as obstacles.

You don't think three people can be in love together? Why should their 'rights' be abridged and suppressed and yours protected and cherished? Who's the bigot now?

numbers are different than descriptive phrases/labels. You get that point right?

When you put 4 wheels on a tricycle, it's not a tricycle. When you paint the tricycle blue, red, yellow, white, it's still a tricycle.

again, numbers are different than words....You can't add words. You get that right?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Plural marriages are legal and accepted in many countries around the world, don't know why having them here is any different than gay marriage. You'd think the 'progressive' gay marriage advocates would be ok with them, rather than oppose them because it doesn't fit their definition of marriage-which they've been trying to redefine to suit their own desires. It's actually pretty funny to see the proponents of gay marriage corkscrew themselves into the ground arguing against plural marriage. 'We want to change the definition of marriage, as it has been for thousands of years, but don't want it changed more once we change it'.

okay, let's do this Monroe. How is it any different? Well, when I learned to count, I remember learning that 3 was larger than 2 and in real life, if 3 people shared something, there would be less of it.

So since marriage gives you tax, insurance, and other benefits, how will marriage between 3 people work? I didn't see a "TRIPLE JOINTLY FILE" option on my tax return.

Also, since you want to go the retarded route, how can my kangaroo lover sign the IRS form to receive my medical benefits? He would have to sue the pen maker first because they don't make kangaroo shaped pens...like wtf?

You brought up the animal/incest comparison, not I. That's a stupid argument that I don't agree with.

As far as changing laws, if you can advocate change to same sex partners it would be just as easy to change the laws to make plural marriages work. What's a few more pages of tax codes to the thousands that exist?

You talk about changing the institution of marriage, making it more than 3 certainly does that. It's not just a few pages of tax code and it's not just about diving it up in 3!

Does the 2nd or 3rd wife have custody of the children? Or sole life threatening decision making ability in a medical emergency? Who receives the earned income tax credit? Who is head of household? How do you divide an estate into 4's if the man is married to 4 wives - or, how do you tax the estate to 4 people? Would the family and medical leave act be available to all 6 wives to care for 1 children?

The institution of marriage does not support polygamy. I can easily answer all these questions for gay couples though!

All questions you pose can be worked out, just as many things would be worked out for same sex 'marriage'.

If you want to redefine marriage, then you're opening it up. If you want to jump from one man/one woman to something else, well, plural marriages are on the table. I'm sure the many other countries that have legal plural marriages have solutions for the questions you pose as obstacles.

You don't think three people can be in love together? Why should their 'rights' be abridged and suppressed and yours protected and cherished? Who's the bigot now?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Abortion is legal in this country, along with a hundred other vices and activities that can get you in the hospital maimed, dying and need surgery. if you can't deal with blood and guts as such, you should not be working as a healthcare professional - get out of the business, this should have nothing to do with your religion.

another reason that religion is stupid

in other words there is reality and fantasy - the reality is that people need services, the fantasy of "God" and religion does not belong in the practical world

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is an article of a nurse suing a hospital because she was forced to participate in an abortion. There are several articles on this nurse, one article describes the flashbacks she has when she had to count the severed limbs of the unborn child. Yes, we do need freedom of religion! http://nypost.com/2009/07/26/nurse-forced-to-help-abort/

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Here is an article of a nurse suing a hospital because she was forced to participate in an abortion. There are several articles on this nurse, one article describes the flashbacks she has when she had to count the severed limbs of the unborn child. Yes, we do need freedom of religion! http://nypost.com/2009/07/26/nurse-forced-to-help-abort/

Like I said Yvonne. In your messed up world, a Jehovah's Witness Physician who is fired for not ordering a blood transfusion for a dying pregnant mother is the victim! Just think about that. That is your "religious freedom"

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
You change doctors anytime, what a poor analogy. And every treatment requires your signature. Doctors are not gods in hospital the insurance companies are.

You are missing the point. The doctor's right, if the hospital forces him or her to do a blood transfusion, is being infringed upon right?

In your wacky world, the JW doctor is the victim!

And the wacky Catholic travel agent who refuses to book a flight knowing that a client of his or hers will be connected to their extramarital lover - his or her religious right is being infringed upon also!

This is the world you live in - where when you cry religion, you can deny people services and discriminate.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
No it is not strange - when you deny someone's basic right to healthcare or for that matter, common human decency such as gay marriage based on your beliefs, that goes against what this country stands for - separation of church and state.

I am in fact defending your right when I object to the religious right in infringing upon the constitution

The 2nd amendment is also a right, so if you are going to go in that direction, don't forget that this country was built on the foundations of God and Guns

here's a nice article for you about religion: http://www.wnd.com/2013/05/ground-zero-mosque-rears-its-ugly-head/

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I find it amazing that the 2nd amendment is always defended yet the first amendment which says, there should be no state religion, and you have the right to exercise your religion are empty words on this blog. I guess the founding fathers who put the words Creator in the Constitution, should have combined the first and second amendments together, so gun people would jump into the act. I do think gun advocates are somewhat extreme, but heaven forbid if someone touches their 2nd amendment. Our country will step on religion but cannot do back ground checks on gun buyers, this is strange.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You change doctors anytime, what a poor analogy. And every treatment requires your signature. Doctors are not gods in hospital the insurance companies are.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
5th post down

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watch ... ister-a-blood-transfusion

Quote:
I researched this (again) a few years ago when we had a JW nursing student being trained on our unit. I never had the "pleasure" of working with her, but she made enough of a stink over her "sincerely held religious beliefs" not permitting her to administer a blood fraction (which, as we all know is a Conscience Matter? that JWs can accept if they wish to do so) that my co-workers (and her teacher) asked me about it.

The WT article that I found stated that a JW physician would not be permitted to "order" a blood transfusion for a patient of theirs, however, a JW nurse - since they are not participating in the decision-making between the physician and the patient (or their proxy) - could, in good conscience, administer a blood transfusion. BTW, physicians don't usually do the "administering" of a blood transfusion. They write the order and the nurse administers it.

yvonne supports JW physicians denying blood transfusions. Thanks yvonne.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

So since marriage gives you tax, insurance, and other benefits, how will marriage between 3 people work? I didn't see a "TRIPLE JOINTLY FILE" option on my taxes.

Also, since you want to go the retarded route, how can my kangaroo lover sign the medical form to receive my medical benefits? He would have to sue the pen maker first because they don't make kangaroo shaped pens...like wtf?

Posted on: 2013/9/17 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/17 0:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I find it amazing that the 2nd amendment is always defended yet the first amendment which says, there should be no state religion, and you have the right to exercise your religion are empty words on this blog. I guess the founding fathers who put the words Creator in the Constitution, should have combined the first and second amendments together, so gun people would jump into the act. I do think gun advocates are somewhat extreme, but heaven forbid if someone touches their 2nd amendment. Our country will step on religion but cannot do back ground checks on gun buyers, this is strange.

So the jehovah's witness physician can deny a dying mother a blood transfusion? That is messed up yvonne! I thought you were compassionate...messed up

Posted on: 2013/9/17 0:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/17 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, why do pro gay marriage advocates often oppose plural marriages? It's been accepted across many cultures. Shouldn't three people in love be able to marry?

Yes, let's jump to the plurality arguement. Then let's do bestiality and then incest. That's not demeaning to homosexuals at all!

A union between two people offers tax advantages through joint filing and also offers other benefits - visitation, custody, insurance etc. - Not all of those are covered under the guise of civil unions - which many in your party are also against. Marriage, at the end of the day, is a governmental service. if there is true separation of religion and govt then two people should be able to get married regardless of sexual orientation.

Btw, not all marriages are catholic marriages so stop being so pompous. Remember other religions exist - Judaism, Islam, Buddhism.

You bigots really irritate me.

Who's the bigot? Why do so many gay marriage advocates want to close the barn door when THEY achieve marriage 'equality', denying the rights of others who are in love and want to practice their own religion? Talk about hypocrisy and myopia, lol.

lol. I use logic and rationale to argue why it is two individuals versus three or one and you ignore that part and respond to the one line in my post that calls you a bigot.

I take that back. Bigots might have intelligence in other areas and can argue. You and yvonne are idiots who cannot respond to logical arguments.

But hey, you and yvonne can respond to some concrete examples I've laid out and prove me wrong. the fact that you choose to just repeat the same thing over and over again means you have nothing intelligent to say and nothing to back up your points besides "omg, don't sue me." Really?

For the 3rd time yvonne, can a jehovah's witness who is a physician refuse to do blood transfusions? Or can a catholic travel agent not book flights if he or she knows that flight will connect a married individual to their extramarital lover? Same concept but you choose to ignore because you are blown away by the logic. it's okay, I just blew your mind.

Posted on: 2013/9/17 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
I desire to deny you nothing.... I'll even encourage you myopic opinion.

You desire to not bake me a fcking cake... That's bigoted

Edit - just for reference - Book of Yvonne 1:15
"As a practicing Catholic, my religion is the strongest voice against same-sex marriage, so it would be a mockery to provide services to a same sex couple (baking wedding cake, renting hall, catering, etc.)"

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To call someone "bigoted douchery" is a bit extreme. I never attack gays or others who believe in same sex marriage, I said I should have the right to practice without being sued. The people who advocate tolerance on same sex marriage are short on giving tolerance to others who choose to follow their faith. I see bigotry in reverse.

I think Yvonne's objection is that 'progressives' would love to force Catholic hospitals to provide abortion on demand to 13 year olds and force their health care providers to pay for morning after abortion pills. That sort of thing.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I desire to deny you nothing.... I'll even encourage you myopic opinion.

You desire to not bake me a fcking cake... That's bigoted

Edit - just for reference - Book of Yvonne 1:15
"As a practicing Catholic, my religion is the strongest voice against same-sex marriage, so it would be a mockery to provide services to a same sex couple (baking wedding cake, renting hall, catering, etc.)"

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
To call someone "bigoted douchery" is a bit extreme. I never attack gays or others who believe in same sex marriage, I said I should have the right to practice without being sued. The people who advocate tolerance on same sex marriage are short on giving tolerance to others who choose to follow their faith. I see bigotry in reverse.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/23 19:32
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
What about the religious rights of the taliban ? Why is ok for the American Jewish community to send their sons and daughters to do active service in Israel, yet a muslim is not permitted to fight for their cause in the middle east ? Interesting how every religion and country turned a blind eye to slavery !
What's more important, Country or religion - I'd suggest that many people would put religion well ahead of Country!

As for Christie, he's a self righteous idiot when it comes to gay marriage - I guess the next election will require people to ask more questions about certain topics when voting someone in - Christie doesn't represent my views, but the ass was elected and what HE wants goes!

Yeah, here's some commentary regarding Christie's brief for his veto:

SLATE: Chris Christie?s Legal Position on Gay Marriage Is Pure Nonsense
The New Jersey governor?s court brief reads like a bad student paper.
By Nathaniel Frank
Updated Monday, Aug. 5, 2013, at 2:59 PM

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie?s administration filed a brief last week defending the state?s 2006 Civil Union Act, which grants gay couples all the benefits of marriage yet bars them from actually getting married. The brief is Christie?s first official legal statement on same-sex marriage. Given his apparent aspiration to be the next Republican nominee for president, it is especially too bad that the brief also may be the most incoherent defense of heterosexual supremacy yet. That?s saying something in an era in which lawyers have tied themselves in logical pretzels to defend indefensible anti-gay laws. Even by that low standard, the brief reads like a student paper written during an all-nighter. You?d think an aspiring president would take the task more seriously.

The Christie brief was filed in state Superior Court, in a suit brought by six couples who sued New Jersey for the right to marry in 2011. After the Supreme Court?s June ruling striking down the Defense of Marriage Act?the 1996 law that denied federal benefits to legally married same-sex couples?the New Jersey plaintiffs asked the superior court to allow gay marriage in the state to begin right away. They argue that civil unions are inherently unequal now that the Supreme Court has tossed the key component of DOMA. The feds are now granting benefits to gay spouses, but New Jersey?s civil union law prevents gay partners from receiving those benefits.

Christie?s brief defends civil unions in three ways. First, it argues that the state can rationally restrict the label ?marriage? to heterosexual unions because it is ?preserving? the definition of the word. Second, it contends that it?s actually the feds who are now blocking gay equality by withholding benefits to civil union partners. And third, it claims that the state courts should move very cautiously when contemplating a major change in social institutions?all fine and well except that, as the state itself admits, calling a gay union a marriage isn't much of a change anymore. In fact, throughout the brief, what?s most striking is that every last argument Christie?s administration makes, it then proceeds to blatantly contradict.

The brief starts by arguing that the state?s 2006 Civil Union Act?passed in response to a state court ruling in the same year that New Jersey had to either let gays wed or grant them all the attendant benefits of marriage?has a rational relationship to a compelling state interest, and is therefore constitutional. ?To reserve the name of marriage for heterosexual couples,? says the brief, makes sense because ?altering the meaning of marriage? would, in the words of the 2006 ruling, ?render a profound change in the public consciousness of a social institution of ancient origin.? The definition of marriage has ?far-reaching social implications.?

Oops, except then it doesn?t. The brief then does an about-face, insisting that the nomenclature distinctions have no meaning at all?an effort to show that the law is not rooted in anti-gay prejudice. A ?long-standing precedent,? the brief explains, dictates ?that courts look to essence, not label.? It cites a 1915 court case finding that a law?s import ?lies in the essential nature of the work done rather than the names applied to those engaged in it.? The brief goes to great lengths to drive home this point, even dragging in the Bard: ?Shakespeare wondered what?s in a name?; for purposes of federal criminal law, the answer is ?nothing.? Substance rather than nomenclature matters.? And: ?A rose by any other name is still a rose.? And: ?Calling a dog?s tail a leg will not give the dog five legs.?

Let?s imagine for a moment that it?s true that nomenclature doesn?t matter a whit. If that?s right, then it?s the strongest case yet for the other side. If there is nothing in the name ?marriage,? then New Jersey?s Civil Union Act has no rational relationship to an important state interest. The label is the single distinction the law makes. How can that both serve a compelling governmental interest and mean absolutely nothing, at the same time?

As if to illustrate this muddle, the brief proceeds to use the terms ?partner? and ?spouse? interchangeably, going so far as to argue that the civil union partners the state bars from getting married are nevertheless ?spouses.? Indeed, the brief refers to ?civil union spouses? in the same breath that it complains that the sovereign state of New Jersey should not be forced to cede the definition of marriage to include gays.

The idea seems to be to further New Jersey?s bizarre argument that it?s the feds who are depriving gays of equality rather than the state. Because the Civil Union Act intended to treat gay and straight couples equally, the brief argues, now that DOMA is dead, the federal government should give civil union partners full benefits ?because they are spouses.?

The trouble is, New Jersey did not intend to treat gay couples equally. If it did, it would have actually made them spouses, granting them access to marriage?to the word itself. This is the precise meaning of the Supreme Court?s 1954 ruling in Brown v. Board of Education that separate is ?inherently unequal.? Awarding equivalent material benefits does not erase the stigma of separating a class of people from the core institutions of American life.

The contradictions continue: Precedent, says the brief, also requires a court to exercise ?maximum caution? in intervening where ?highly significant policy considerations? are involved. Therefore the New Jersey courts should not invalidate New Jersey?s law. But the state?s entire position is that there is no policy consideration at issue. There?s no material difference between civil unions and marriage, just a distinction in name only?and names don?t matter. Why shouldn?t the court act, then? Christie isn?t just making an argument against judicial activism here either. When he vetoed a same-sex marriage bill earlier this year, he said the legislature shouldn?t decide whether marriage should include gay unions?only ?people? should, by a direct vote at the ballot box. That might be fine for deciding how to fund a town library, but the whole point of constitutional rights is that they?re not subject to a vote.

Can the Christie administration get away with its absurdly twisted logic? In 2009 the Obama administration defended DOMA against a California couple?s challenge. Its brief was so poorly worded and overreaching?it appeared to compare same-sex marriage to incest and pedophilia?that the administration infuriated gay and straight activists alike. The outrage helped push the gay rights movement into overdrive. The Obama administration eventually had the sense to reverse course. DOMA?s demise in June, of course, followed. Luckily for Obama, the president emerged unscathed. If Christie doesn't get smart, he might not be so lucky.
http://mobile.slate.com/articles/news ... 3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Pebble, why do pro gay marriage advocates often oppose plural marriages? It's been accepted across many cultures. Shouldn't three people in love be able to marry?

Yes, let's jump to the plurality arguement. Then let's do bestiality and then incest. That's not demeaning to homosexuals at all!

A union between two people offers tax advantages through joint filing and also offers other benefits - visitation, custody, insurance etc. - Not all of those are covered under the guise of civil unions - which many in your party are also against. Marriage, at the end of the day, is a governmental service. if there is true separation of religion and govt then two people should be able to get married regardless of sexual orientation.

Btw, not all marriages are catholic marriages so stop being so pompous. Remember other religions exist - Judaism, Islam, Buddhism.

Who's the bigot? Why do so many gay marriage advocates want to close the barn door when THEY achieve marriage 'equality', denying the rights of others who are in love and want to practice their own religion? Talk about hypocrisy and myopia, lol.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What about the religious rights of the taliban ? Why is ok for the American Jewish community to send their sons and daughters to do active service in Israel, yet a muslim is not permitted to fight for their cause in the middle east ? Interesting how every religion and country turned a blind eye to slavery !
What's more important, Country or religion - I'd suggest that many people would put religion well ahead of Country!

As for Christie, he's a self righteous idiot when it comes to gay marriage - I guess the next election will require people to ask more questions about certain topics when voting someone in - Christie doesn't represent my views, but the ass was elected and what HE wants goes!

Posted on: 2013/9/16 22:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I appreciate the spirited back and forth here, but want to just cut to the chase...

You're using religion protect to your bigoted douchery. I encourage you to keep being loud and proud - so I can avoid you much like you want to avoid me.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I want the right to practice my religion without being sued. Why is that so much to ask? Our country has condemned the what is happening in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries where Christian churches are being burned down and Christians are being killed. This is also happening in Sudan. Muslims groups in Sudan recently killed children attending a Catholic school in Sudan. http://www.catholicculture.org/cultur ... rary/view.cfm?recnum=5067
A lawsuit that ruins a family finances is a bloodless attack. The USA should allow people to follow their conscience.

Posted on: 2013/9/16 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/9/16 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I want the right to practice my religion without being sued. Why is that so much to ask? Our country has condemned the what is happening in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries where Christian churches are being burned down and Christians are being killed. This is also happening in Sudan. Muslims groups in Sudan recently killed children attending a Catholic school in Sudan. http://www.catholicculture.org/cultur ... rary/view.cfm?recnum=5067
A lawsuit that ruins a family finances is a bloodless attack. The USA should allow people to follow their conscience.

hey yvonne, thanks for responding back to me. I guess you are not able to argue so that is why you choose to just repeat things over and over again.

If A Jehovah's witness is a physician, can he choose not to perform blood transfusions because it is against his religion? If the hospital makes him perform that procedure, is that infringing on his religion?

Also, if you are a travel agent who is a devout Catholic and one of your clients happens to tell you he has a mistress in CA and needs you to book a flight to CA, does that travel agent have a right to refuse service? Wouldn't that travel agent be allowing for sin to happen if he/she books that flight? Is that an infringement of religion if the boss forces her/him to book that flight?

Also, whatever your job is, do you ask people if they have violated any of the ten commandments before you serve them?

Again, gay couples want a piece of paper from the govt. They don't want to get married in your church. If they do then you can deny them usage of your church and your priests just like you do to Mormons, Protestants, Divorced Individuals, etc.

Why is this so hard to understand? If you work in the real world, you have to do things which might not agree with - ie. jehovah's witness & blood tranfusions, Catholic travel agent booking flights for the purpose of infidelity, etc. If you don't like it, quit!

Actually, it's against my religion to work on even numbered days of the week. My stupid boss is infringing on my rights!

Posted on: 2013/9/16 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/16 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/9/16 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not agree, government will be telling me how to practice my religion. Ten years from now plural marriages might be in fashion. I cannot call myself a practicing Catholic, then take the money from a same sex couple. I am endangering my beliefs and my immoral soul. I will not run away from my faith, besides there are evidence of harassment from past lawsuits. a Methodist organization was sued in Ocean Grove, NJ when they denied a lesbian couple the use of their pavilion for a same-sex civil union. The Methodist organization lost and the state of New Jersey revoked the tax exemption for the pavilion, which will cost them around $20,000 a year;
?Catholic Charities in Massachusetts refused to place children with same-sex couples as required by law. Catholic Charities was accused of discrimination and pulled out of the adoption business in 2006;
?San Francisco dropped its $3.5 million in social services contracts with the Salvation Army because it refused to recognize same-sex partnership;
?A Christian gynecologist in Vista, Calif., refused to give his patient in vitro fertilization treatment because she is in a lesbian relationship. The doctor said it violated his religious beliefs and referred his patient to his partner, but the women sued. One justice suggested the doctor take up a different business
The Hobby Lobby case will settle the practice of religion. This is the real reason the Pilgrims came to the New World, the right to practice their faith without government telling them what to believe. I shouldn't be hit with lawsuits in the USA for practicing my religion, this law will open up more lawsuits.

Do you still call yourself a Catholic even though the money you gave to the Church is being used to pay for the cover of crimes such as the rape of young boys and girls?

Do you favor the Catholic Church effectively bankrupting parishes so that when the states find them guilty of covering up child rape, the church can claim poverty and not pay?

Posted on: 2013/9/16 20:50
Dos A Cero

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017