Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
48 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 5
Guests: 43

MCBarretto, soupydumplings, anonymess, EthanCrane, landshark, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
How about making a parking lot for downtowners with stickers on Jersey with a four hour limit in the interim. That will stop some from driving all the way over but will keep it a walk way.

Another thought -- what about a one way in road then it splits the difference and keeps the bottleneck from happening every fourth of july when people try to walk back after the fireworks.

Or make it a two way but have it closed during rush hours.

Posted on: 2006/2/18 14:30
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Exchange Place/JSQ
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/2/18 14:23
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
How about making the route a little easier and safer for the people coming from downtown that are using the park- runners, bikers, rollerbladers, pedestrians, etc? Having to travel through a recycling facility on a pitted, gravel strewn, muddy/snowy/icy surface dodging dumptrucks is not exactly a welcoming entrance to the park.

There needs to be a paved, lighted path without truck traffic from the end of Jersey Ave., across the canal to LSP. This shouldn't be that difficult or expensive. Who owns that stretch of gravel anyway? Can the city require improvements or are we at the mercy of a junkyard?

Posted on: 2006/2/18 13:53
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
" City Government will love this. In fact, an engineer that I know says that is why the JC Planning Commission does notcare about all the developments going up and causing more traffic. Because in the end the residents will be forced to use public transportation and bikes" (I give up, how do you do those quote boxes)

Is this policy? Seems like a round about way of getting into compliance with the Clean Air Act. If people are really concerned about the pollution and traffic burden put on residents in Bergen-Lafayette they should explore the Environmental Justice Program run by EPA:
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/environmentaljustice/

For the record: I am not one of the two concerned citizens paranoid about The Stealth Highway. I have enough to worry about being followed around in GO.

Posted on: 2006/2/18 13:00
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
It seems this extention is a big issue. I just want to get into the park easier. Plus for Liberty State Park to not have a proper welcoming entrance of any kind is pretty sad.

AllanSommerman said, "I think the concern is that an auto connection will result in cars leaving the turnpike and using Jersey Avenue as a route to the Holland Tunnel. I was suprised by this. It seems that these commuters would rather stay on until Comumbus Ave or the Holland Tunnel rather then get off at 14C and end up navigating through the already congested city streets to get to the Holland tunnel. Especially, when/if this gets opened. But I do not commute from the West so I do not really know what the best route is.

There are many ways to limit exit ramp traffic as well. I have lived in cities where some exit ramps are not even availble during rush hour so that the traffic flow continues to the next off ramp. This also happens at large sporting events when large crowds come and go.

I think injcsince81 made some good points. It is not fair that that area is getting slammed with all the traffic. Just another reason why they need another route for this off ramp traffic at 14C. Perhaps limiting that off-ramp will be a start. I guess we will just have to see.Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:
Not connecting the Philips drive and Jersey avenue puts all the traffic into the densely-populated, poor area of the city (bergen-Lafayette).

Sounds like environmental racism to me.

The extension was proposed before, but "activists" like Mia Scanga successfully fought against it.

I am for it, and am willing to speak up for it if it ever comes up again.

But it makes too much sense, so it probably won't happen.

My hope is that the future Liberty Harbor North residents will push for it, and that the Bergen-Lafayette residents will demand a stop to the ridiculous detour through their neighborhood.

And, BTW, the argument about people using it as a short-cut for Holland Tunnel is a BS argument - that's what the Columbus Drive exit is for... (grin).

Posted on: 2006/2/18 11:14
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Banned
Not connecting the Philips drive and Jersey avenue puts all the traffic into the densely-populated, poor area of the city (bergen-Lafayette).

Sounds like environmental racism to me.

The extension was proposed before, but "activists" like Mia Scanga successfully fought against it.

I am for it, and am willing to speak up for it if it ever comes up again.

But it makes too much sense, so it probably won't happen.

My hope is that the future Liberty Harbor North residents will push for it, and that the Bergen-Lafayette residents will demand a stop to the ridiculous detour through their neighborhood.

And, BTW, the argument about people using it as a short-cut for Holland Tunnel is a BS argument - that's what the Columbus Drive exit is for... (grin).

Posted on: 2006/2/18 10:30
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
This proposal has been made before. I think the concern is that an auto connection will result in cars leaving the turnpike and using Jersey Avenue as a route to the Holland Tunnel.

I believe this connection was part of what used to be referred to as The Stealth Highway project. Maybe it still is.

http://www.hartwheels.org/Stealth.html

Posted on: 2006/2/18 9:33
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)
Print Top

OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I am getting tired of driving from my house (Hamilton Park)to Grand to Pacific to Johnson in the mornings to get to Liberty State Park. I enjoy running over there and while the path at the end of Jersey Ave. works fine in good weather (though it is a bit creepy) during the colder months I prefer to drive the run.

It seems that all they need to do at the end of Jersey Ave. is to slightly widened it. I heard that area has chromium contamination but once that is cleaned up they will eventually open it.

As this town gets even more populated with more vehicles my already long 1.7 mile commute to the park will even take longer.

Anyone know about this???

Posted on: 2006/2/18 8:54
Print Top

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact