Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
31 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Required in unit building inspection notices around 07302, what gives?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I live in a four unit building, and apparently we received the original notice back in November, but haven't heard anything since. Is there any action we need to take, or are we just waiting for the inspectors to be ready to inspect our neighborhood?

Posted on: 2/22 11:36
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From JCNJ
Group:
Registered Users
Curious - Are there any exemptions, i.e., for smaller (2 or 3-unit) condos?

Posted on: 2/19 13:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Do you have a backyard light?

No exterior violations. I have a high pressure sodium light on a photocell for the back (lights up the parking area).

Unfortunately, I got called into the office by my project manager so I wasn't there for the walk-thru. I am going to have to write to Dept. of Community Affairs to get an explanation.

I think one of the light 'violations' is for having a florescent tube light fixture in one apartment that doesn't have a cover. The tenant has never cared about it and it doesn't cause any harm. I can't get a cover for it (not made anymore), so I was planning to put in a new fixture when the tenant moves out. Looks like I might have to do that sooner.

The tile thing annoys me because now I have to replace it with tiles that won't match.

Posted on: 2/19 8:34
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My latest inspector had a thing for floors. I have ceramic floor tiles with hairline cracks (tenants dropping something heavy on the kitchen floor).
\

That's just nuts. There's places in this town that should be condemned, and they're fussing over that!! As for the lighting, that's why I try to be there at least for the 1st round, deciphering the report can be impossible. Do you have a backyard light?

Posted on: 2/18 23:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
My latest inspector had a thing for floors. I have ceramic floor tiles with hairline cracks (tenants dropping something heavy on the kitchen floor). Not broken tiles.. just cracks. I am now required to replace these tiles. The problem is, I long ago ran out of spare tiles.

That, and I got a bunch of "Repair or Replace means of egress lighting". I have no idea what the inspector is referring to. All the lights work in the hallways and apartments.

Posted on: 2/18 16:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
My previous rounds of inspection went for the cover plates in the basement also. My last one a few weeks ago was pretty much smoke detectors, CO detectors, do the fire rated door springs close the door, etc... If I get an inspector that was looking and horrible shit hole buildings previously, they have commented at being pleasantly surprised when they get to one of mine. This has been less so since the housing has improved so dramatically in the past 15 years.

The only inspection I got hosed on was the state, after ruling differently over a decade earlier, decided I had to have a fire escape on my building. Turns out the original decision that it didn't need one was in error. This came at a time I was really short on funds. $23k later I had a fire escape.

Ouch, that's brutal. Guess I got off easy just having to put in a backyard light, paint the fire escape (needed it) and add a stupid handrail on a basement hatch. I also have had inspectors think my place was a condo it was in such nice condition!

Posted on: 1/20 23:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
These "Green Card" inspections vary tremendously. I've had them just check that emergency lights and detectors are working, and I've had them come up with laundry lists of "violations" that have been that way for many decades of them inspecting.

I had one last year that had a trainee with her, it was brutal. She cited an outlet in ceiling of the unfinished basement that was missing a cover plate.

My previous rounds of inspection went for the cover plates in the basement also. My last one a few weeks ago was pretty much smoke detectors, CO detectors, do the fire rated door springs close the door, etc... If I get an inspector that was looking and horrible shit hole buildings previously, they have commented at being pleasantly surprised when they get to one of mine. This has been less so since the housing has improved so dramatically in the past 15 years.

The only inspection I got hosed on was the state, after ruling differently over a decade earlier, decided I had to have a fire escape on my building. Turns out the original decision that it didn't need one was in error. This came at a time I was really short on funds. $23k later I had a fire escape.

Posted on: 1/20 16:45
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:

zerogains wrote:
On my building in Paulus Hook (small 7 unit brownstone) and a larger building (150 Bay Street), I noticed State of NJ inspection notices that require entry to each unit. Anyone seen these before?

Seems intrusive, is it for fire safety? Anything I should be worried about?

This sounds like your 5-year state inspection for multiple dwellings (click on inspections). The same kind of inspection occurred recently in my condo. Someone from the condo association, maintenance and an inspector entered my unit, made sure items were up to code and we had proper detectors. They were in and out of my 2-bedroom unit in less than 10 minutes.

And for what it's worth, I felt like my dad was inspecting my bedroom to make sure it was clean when I was a kid. Intrusive? Yup. Necessary? Considering the way some people live in our building, oh yeah.

My building had this inspection last year since it is a large building the inspectors went to a few "representative units" on each floor and passed the building.

Posted on: 1/20 16:00
Print Top

Hide User information
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:

This sounds like your 5-year state inspection for multiple dwellings (click on inspections). The same kind of inspection occurred recently in my condo. Someone from the condo association, maintenance and an inspector entered my unit, made sure items were up to code and we had proper detectors. They were in and out of my 2-bedroom unit in less than 10 minutes.

And for what it's worth, I felt like my dad was inspecting my bedroom to make sure it was clean when I was a kid. Intrusive? Yup. Necessary? Considering the way some people live in our building, oh yeah.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like they can vary quite a bit in terms of strictness. I am currently doing renovations in a bathroom, needed to replace old cracked tile and some outlets that were neglected.

Posted on: 1/20 11:43
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
These "Green Card" inspections vary tremendously. I've had them just check that emergency lights and detectors are working, and I've had them come up with laundry lists of "violations" that have been that way for many decades of them inspecting.

I had one last year that had a trainee with her, it was brutal. She cited an outlet in ceiling of the unfinished basement that was missing a cover plate.

Posted on: 1/19 19:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zerogains wrote:
On my building in Paulus Hook (small 7 unit brownstone) and a larger building (150 Bay Street), I noticed State of NJ inspection notices that require entry to each unit. Anyone seen these before?

Posted on: 1/19 17:59
Print Top

Required in unit building inspection notices around 07302, what gives?

Hide User information
From The Village
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 1/19 17:11
Print Top

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017